IGNORED

CarVan12: Health Scare Continues ... and Worsens :(

nelliebelle1197

I've worn black to Southern Baptist funerals, and I would say the majority of the congregation was also in sober colours (unless asked not to.) However, it's always acceptable for children to wear pastels to funerals, or even white -- it can be hard to find appropriately dark clothes, and most growing kids won't have the opportunity to wear a purpose-bought funeral outfit more than once.

In my personal opinion, Carlin's choice for Layla is too frilly and poofy for a funeral. I would never say that to her, of course, since in the end all that matters is that Carlin mourns in the way that feels right to her, and if this helps her than so be it. But I would choose something else, even if it's not black.

• Upvote 3
  • I Agree 2

In the south where I live usually older men wear black or navy suits. Younger men any color khaki and either button up or polo type shirts. Most women wear Sunday church type clothes. Colors often don't matter but some will wear darker. The point seems to be more that you're dressed up than the color/style.

And I agree the pastel sweat pants ensembles are pj like...and just a weird look. Makes me think of LA style type people back like 20 yrs ago when the velour track suit with "juicy" on the butt was a thing. 

Edited by WatchingTheTireFireBurn
Autocorrect
  • Upvote 2

12 minutes ago, WatchingTheTireFireBurn said:

And I agree the pastel sweat pants ensembles are pj like...and just a weird look. Makes me think of LA style type people back like 20 yrs ago when the velour track suit with "juicy" on the butt was a thing. 

I think it might be a current fashion, there were a bunch of young guys that came in to a restaurant I was at the other night - they all were styled more or less like that. Some with heavier jackets on top-it was cold. Very styled hair and eyebrows is what stood out - with the matchy sweats. West coast hipster burger place on a weekend night.  I don’t usually see guys that age in groups in my daily life, so don’t know how common it is

• Upvote 2

24 minutes ago, JermajestyDuggar said:

I love Zade’s chunky belly sticking out. I love a chubby baby. 

Me too. Blowing raspberries on said belly and hearing them cackle so hard they about pee themselves? There's nothing else like it in this world!

• Upvote 5
  • WTF 1
  • I Agree 6
  • Love 1

I’m now wondering about all those funeral scenes set in contemporary USA where everyone is dressed in black, usually with the widow wearing a mysterious black veil. I’ve never been to a funeral like that, but I figured it was the custom in other parts of the country. Now I’m not so sure. Maybe it’s just a movie convention. 

I have never been to a funeral where literally everyone wore black or mostly black. And I’ve been to multiple funerals in the past few years alone. Dark colors? Sure. Navy, burgundy, gray, green, etc. lots of that. No one is wearing a summery floral beach dress. But it’s definitely not all black. 

Edited by JermajestyDuggar
  • Upvote 4
  • I Agree 2

I went to my cousin’s wake and funeral within the last month.  I would say all of the women in the family,  sisters, nieces, cousins wore mostly black, some pantsuits, others nice pants, tops and sweaters. His brothers and other male connections wore dark suits with white dress shirts, or dark pants, white shirts with dark sweaters over them.   Neighbors and friends who came to the wake were dressed in darkish clothes.   

This is considered normal and appropriate for the occasion in NYC.  If you know you are going to a funeral or wake during your work day, you skip the bright colors and find something to wear in black, navy or gray.  

I’ve been to one funeral were the widow wore a veiled hat in 1987. She was considered a drama queen.

• Upvote 5

1 hour ago, Bastet said:

I’m now wondering about all those funeral scenes set in contemporary USA where everyone is dressed in black, usually with the widow wearing a mysterious black veil. I’ve never been to a funeral like that, but I figured it was the custom in other parts of the country. Now I’m not so sure. Maybe it’s just a movie convention. 

I've never been to a funeral where the widow wore a veil! I feel let down.  I think that is mainly a movie tv/convention.  Most Christian/Jewish funerals  & visitations I've been to folks were in somber colors, but no one expects the kids to be in black. Buddhist visitations--the ladies and lots of the men in white.

A vain 20 something gal in my family wore a tight crop top mini skirt combo (albeit in black) to a family funeral at a very fancy church a few years ago and I guarantee we will continue to talk about it for the next 20 years. : )

• Haha 7

In earlier times, the widows and mourning close relatives did wear heavy veils; think Jackie O and the Kennedy family when John and Robert were killed.

• Upvote 4

Women also wore hats all the time back then. So it was much easier to just attach a small veil to a hat you normally wear. 

• Upvote 4

In Katie’s video of the pallbearers. Lawson and Nathan are both just wearing dress shirts without jackets or ties. Nathan looks exceptionally sloppy for someone who did the eulogy at the service. You would think those men would know how to dress appropriately for their grandmother’s funeral. I’m just assuming that every one of their brother-in-laws dressed better than they did.

• Upvote 2

Just now, marmalade said:

I was surprised to see Travis singing. Lawson was there. 

I'm sure that by now, Kelly is aware of the fact that Travis has the best sounding voice out of all of her children and their spouses.

• Upvote 1

14 minutes ago, indianabones said:

I'm sure that by now, Kelly is aware of the fact that Travis has the best sounding voice out of all of her children and their spouses.

Actually, after I posted I saw the program. Lawson sang later in the service. 

• Upvote 1

In Judaism, we wear all black. Most married women get a black vail when they enter the funeral home. I've never seen a bright outfit at a funeral. No pastels, no florals, etc.

• Upvote 6

Black, dark gray or dark blue all the way here too. Dark green would be pushing it. Exceptions for outside attire like a jacket. But still muted (not sure about beige). Sadly not veils though. 
Pastels would most definitely be an affront. And we are no religious crowd. 

• Upvote 2

I forget if we can speculate on adults. So I will just tell a story.

My best friend's mom just went through autoimmune encephalitis (Very scary - she was in an induced coma). It was caught early, but there are stories online of seizures, personality changes, etc. going on for months before proper diagnoses. Unexplained seizures and mood changes are a symptom. 

• Sad 3

10 hours ago, SoSoNosy said:

Where is Katie posting these pictures?  Please and thank you.

She posted the pics in her stories, so they're expired. 

• Thank You 1

Does anyone actually know:

The funeral discussion makes me realize I have it my head that the black veil thing was something more common in Catholic funerals mid century? Because of needing to cover head in church?

I'm just now realizing this is something my brain says is true but I have no specific reason to think this that I recall (was not raised catholic). 

I was raised southern Baptist in the southeastern US. I dont think I've ever seen anybody but a bride wear a veil in real life.

• Upvote 1

On 11/15/2022 at 5:17 PM, kmachete14 said:

My best friend's mom just went through autoimmune encephalitis (Very scary - she was in an induced coma). It was caught early, but there are stories online of seizures, personality changes, etc. going on for months before proper diagnoses. Unexplained seizures and mood changes are a symptom. 

This is truly scary; I had no idea there was such a thing.  There are weird illnesses out there that are extremely difficult to diagnose, as facebook tells me on a daily basis. 

• Upvote 1

I saw another article out talking about increase in seizures with people who've had covid.

Although haven't most Americans had covid at this point?  (I haven't to my knowledge but most people I know have had it twice)

Still suspicious that they've never even mentioned pnes because there's just no way doctors or Google hasn't pointed out the possibility 

• Upvote 1

Yesterday's click bait video promised an update on Layla's heart condition. There was no update.

She had or has a small hole in her heart that was discovered when she was newborn.

The "update" is that they were like omg *totally* literally freaked out when the doctor office called to set up a 3 yr old follow up appt about it.

Evan was wearing a trucker /baseball type cap backwards and floating high on his hair. 

The 90s ...everything cringe about the 90s. Ice ice baby. Evan needs blond high lights to complete the look.

They flashed back to baby layla/Carlin video. I had forgotten the horrible bleachy blond hair phase. Makes her look so strange.

I think the dark brown hair color suits her much more. 

But of course she can wear whatever color hair she wants.  

Whatever else was in the video was so vapid I've forgotten most of it.

Oh - she set her vase of dried flowers on fire and they thought it was funny what idiots they are.

I think Layla might be more mature at this point.

Every week I say I'm not watching this crap this time- Evan you and your clickbait titles! Then comes a slow period on Saturday and youtube says "oh hey...you wanna watch this? Come on...*clickbait!*"

• Haha 4

• Coconut Flan locked this topic