IGNORED

CarVan12: Health Scare Continues ... and Worsens :(

nelliebelle1197

On 1/6/2023 at 12:14 AM, IReallyAmHopewell said:

I'm thinking the pills aren't ok for pregnancy. I would like to know what the heck is wrong though.

Who in their right mind would be thinking about getting pregnant while having unexplained seizures? 

• Upvote 11
  • I Agree 4

2 hours ago, Smash! said:

Who in their right mind would be thinking about getting pregnant while having unexplained seizures? 

I bet they don’t use a really effective birth control. And she might be thinking of an “oops.” 

• Upvote 2

10 hours ago, Smash! said:

The Bates....lol. I sure hope not, but.....

• Upvote 4
  • I Agree 2

New youtube video today:

We got a few minutes of the bedroom "remodel" reveal and reaction from his parents.

Pet peeve: you painted and redecorated.  You did not "remodel"

Also, the house you bought was not a "fixer upper" either. Adding paint and new flooring cuz you want a different color...ugh. anyway...

The decoration looked fine assuming you enjoy bland grey with light wood tones. One of the major decor items was a Bible. No art on walls.

Evan's mom cried and seemed very happy.

Then they counted down new years.

Then they went home.

Carlin seemed sad to leave

At some point the stupid high rise backward hat appeared and I died a little inside.

We "enjoyed" a time lapse of them undecorating the tree.  Even in high speed this was dull.

Our two feckless heroes then decided to be very unique and start back to the gym. And were surprised it was busy.

Carlin wore leggings and they were very form fitting. 

We skimmed through the boutique where they were taking valentines pics.

And uh...they rode in the car. #exciting 

Layla was not cute but was whiny and complainy several times. Evan seems to snap her out of those moments quickly. So there's something positive but it doesn't make up for the stupid hat situation.

#BackwardsHatIsStupid

#CancelTheHatIn2023

• Upvote 7
  • Rufus Bless 1
  • Haha 8
  • Thank You 4

They also left in the reaction video of Layla seeing that the tree was gone in its entirety. Carlin's cut out the part when Layla started crying when she initially posted it on IG earlier this week. They definitely handled that entire scenario wrong. Layla should have helped take down the tree so she would understand. And probably no tears. 

• Upvote 6
  • WTF 1
  • I Agree 4

Seemed like they did it during layla's nap. Can't blame them. Sometimes you gotta just get stuff done. 

I'm not sure why they included her whiny crying several times.

But then Evan wanted to tell about Z's poop diaper...so whatever I guess.

I think he ran out of stuff to make a video for today. It was super bonus dull.

Only my hatred for the hat sustained me.

Although if he makes a few more this boring-maybe I can break the habit of watching in my Saturday afternoon lull.

• Upvote 5

On 1/8/2023 at 5:06 PM, WatchingTheTireFireBurn said:

Only my hatred for the hat sustained me.

I had a chuckle out loud at this 

this is so me too 

• Upvote 4

On 1/7/2023 at 8:00 PM, marmalade said:

They also left in the reaction video of Layla seeing that the tree was gone in its entirety. Carlin's cut out the part when Layla started crying when she initially posted it on IG earlier this week. They definitely handled that entire scenario wrong. Layla should have helped take down the tree so she would understand. And probably no tears. 

Layla seems to be pushing her limits more with Evan. In the video where Zade was in the swing she was pushing the swing. Evan was filming and told her to not push it. She did not listen and continued to do so. A better solution would be to stop filming and redirect her. He didn't do that though. He just told her not to push too hard. 

The problem with that is that she (like most children at that age) don't understand that terminology. Someone has to demonstrate it for her and show her or they have to say don't push at all. Yes, he was watching through the camera and Carlin may or may not have been present, but one moment's lapse of attention and it could spell disaster.

I know I struggled with this with my own daughters. I would tell them to be careful when walking down the stairs. Neither of them knew what that meant in terms of their own actions. I would say for them to pay attention to walking on the stairs. One of them would just chant, "I am walking" while running down the stairs and trying to skip stairs to make it faster. 

Evan dealing with Layla wanting to stay at his parents could have been handled a bit differently too. I discourage people from saying, "but we'll miss you." It is not good to put the happiness or sadness of parents onto a child as responsibility. My daughters went through that phase of wanting to stay with family when it was time to go home. I approached it a few ways. I would say lets count how long until we come back or see them again. I would say it is special to get to visit _____, but we don't live here. We have a house of our own. I would add in that if they can't handle saying goodbye after a visit maybe they aren't ready to visit. I've been in the grandparents position too. Instead of saying yes you can stay here, I would assist the parents and say, I would love to see them again soon. Maybe I can visit you. When would be a good time (if they are old enough to understand time) or ask if I come see them what do they want to do together. I even worked with my bestie when her daughter wanted me to stay with them "forever" to say you'll have to get your room ready for me. Hearing that she had to clean her room put an end to that request.

I'm not saying Evan is doing anything wrong per se. I just think that he seems to be lending himself to negotiating with the almost 3 year old. I'm glad he's not doing the whole obedience thing with her. However, Layla is ready to hear her choices not negotiate for a better deal. 

• Upvote 4
  • Love 3

7 hours ago, rebeccawriter01 said:

Layla seems to be pushing her limits more with Evan. In the video where Zade was in the swing she was pushing the swing. Evan was filming and told her to not push it. She did not listen and continued to do so. A better solution would be to stop filming and redirect her. He didn't do that though. He just told her not to push too hard. 

The problem with that is that she (like most children at that age) don't understand that terminology. Someone has to demonstrate it for her and show her or they have to say don't push at all. Yes, he was watching through the camera and Carlin may or may not have been present, but one moment's lapse of attention and it could spell disaster.

I know I struggled with this with my own daughters. I would tell them to be careful when walking down the stairs. Neither of them knew what that meant in terms of their own actions. I would say for them to pay attention to walking on the stairs. One of them would just chant, "I am walking" while running down the stairs and trying to skip stairs to make it faster. 

Evan dealing with Layla wanting to stay at his parents could have been handled a bit differently too. I discourage people from saying, "but we'll miss you." It is not good to put the happiness or sadness of parents onto a child as responsibility. My daughters went through that phase of wanting to stay with family when it was time to go home. I approached it a few ways. I would say lets count how long until we come back or see them again. I would say it is special to get to visit _____, but we don't live here. We have a house of our own. I would add in that if they can't handle saying goodbye after a visit maybe they aren't ready to visit. I've been in the grandparents position too. Instead of saying yes you can stay here, I would assist the parents and say, I would love to see them again soon. Maybe I can visit you. When would be a good time (if they are old enough to understand time) or ask if I come see them what do they want to do together. I even worked with my bestie when her daughter wanted me to stay with them "forever" to say you'll have to get your room ready for me. Hearing that she had to clean her room put an end to that request.

I'm not saying Evan is doing anything wrong per se. I just think that he seems to be lending himself to negotiating with the almost 3 year old. I'm glad he's not doing the whole obedience thing with her. However, Layla is ready to hear her choices not negotiate for a better deal. 

well written and great ideas :)

• I Agree 1

@rebeccawriter01 You’re right, of course but I have given into my daughter (1 month older than Layla) too. It gets exhausting with the constant limit pushing and sometimes I don’t have the energy and just concede with “okay, 1 more Cocomelon/5 more minutes of painting/1 more book, then bath”. I know it’s crappy parenting but 2 and 3 year olds are tough! 

• Upvote 9
  • Love 3

1 hour ago, Expectopatronus said:

@rebeccawriter01 You’re right, of course but I have given into my daughter (1 month older than Layla) too. It gets exhausting with the constant limit pushing and sometimes I don’t have the energy and just concede with “okay, 1 more Cocomelon/5 more minutes of painting/1 more book, then bath”. I know it’s crappy parenting but 2 and 3 year olds are tough! 

Not crappy parenting.  Sometimes 5 more min of cocomelon for mom or dad is amazing.  The smallest breaks are the biggest gifts.  Kids are good at pushing limits & sometimes we just need a cocomelon break. 😉 

• Upvote 9

12 hours ago, Expectopatronus said:

I agree. It’s not bad parenting at all? All parents do it. And we all know the fifth really last time ….

What I try is to keep the clock in mind and talk about the last 5 minutes (here it works best with full or half hours as our old clock will ring and give an audible reminder), or the last 3 or whatever times or ending after this episode before we arrive in negotiation-land. It doesn’t always work, but often enough. It’s also a question of perception. A 75% percent success rate is enough for me to call it a complete success . 50% if we are working on something.

Also, children are different and families work differently from one another. What works in one family can utterly fail in others. Our 4year old has always responded well to timers/clocks - she has a very good understanding of numbers and can deal well with the digital and analog clock. And patterns. Knowing what comes after playing. Other children deal well with planned short breaks - drinking some water, snack time to break one activity and lead to next….

And sometimes giving in is just what everyone needs.

• Upvote 5

13 hours ago, Expectopatronus said:

I agree. I'm far from perfect. Example, my god-son was visiting and I offered to buy pizza for dinner. I knew he like pepperoni and offered to buy a large pepperoni for us to share. He looked at me and said, "well, if that is all you can afford."

I had to hold it together not to laugh and encourage him to be rude but it was pretty funny. He's a funny kid who is a tell it like it is kind of person. His parents are still working on his bluntness that can be a bit much in polite situations.

Evan's attitude toward Layla is not a huge red flag or a major concern. It's hard enough to balance teachable moments with realities of life. It is probably harder when you film so much for Instagram and Youtube. It might be time to introduce Layla to the idea that being on camera is a privilege and not a right (not those words). When my youngest was her age I had to do that regarding phone and video chats with my bestie. She had a habit of screaming to get attention and when I asked her what she wanted, she would say, "I forgot." For my sanity and my bestie's sanity, we scheduled our chats at better times. Then we did a reward system of if the girls played quietly or did not interrupt they earned time to talk to my bestie and/or her kids.  

I only pointed it out because a- internet can be really hard on moms and ignores the dad role in working with kids b - Layla's getting to that age where she's going to push more. They are setting the tone. Mini-breaks are fine, as well as messing up. I'm glad to see Evan taking some responsibility with parenting at all (low bar). It is much less disturbing than Gil's discipline of Jud or Jeb at the beach where he had him clapping to signify obedience. 

• Upvote 3

1 hour ago, just_ordinary said:

I agree. It’s not bad parenting at all? All parents do it. And we all know the fifth really last time ….

What I try is to keep the clock in mind and talk about the last 5 minutes (here it works best with full or half hours as our old clock will ring and give an audible reminder), or the last 3 or whatever times or ending after this episode before we arrive in negotiation-land. It doesn’t always work, but often enough. It’s also a question of perception. A 75% percent success rate is enough for me to call it a complete success . 50% if we are working on something.

Also, children are different and families work differently from one another. What works in one family can utterly fail in others. Our 4year old has always responded well to timers/clocks - she has a very good understanding of numbers and can deal well with the digital and analog clock. And patterns. Knowing what comes after playing. Other children deal well with planned short breaks - drinking some water, snack time to break one activity and lead to next….

And sometimes giving in is just what everyone needs.

I'm not calling it bad parenting. I just had a negotiation over skirt length that would outwit most scenarios I learned in my PhD program. Layla seems to be a bright little girl and full of energy. Evan seems to be setting up a trend or pattern on video (at least) that would indicate he isn't putting as much emphasis in the dynamic as some would like. I appreciate that he talks to her in a regular conversational tone rather than baby talk. I appreciate that he is active with her rather than relying on Carlin to translate her needs. The moment with the swing stood out because what Layla was doing was potentially dangerous and could have harmed Zade.

Negotiations happen but shouldn't in a safety situation. If my daughters and I are standing beside the freeway then I'm not negotiating whether they can run across or not. It is going to be a no. Life is just that way sometimes. I try to give my girls choices and have since they were young. Sometimes there isn't a choice though. You can read a book or you can color. You can't drop your sister on her head. 

Sometimes that choice is for mommy. Do I pull the candy out of her mouth while we are waiting in line but she won't eat dinner or do I let her eat it quietly and not have everyone stare and judge for her having a meltdown. 

• Upvote 2

Their latests vlog is up, and it is unnecesarily dramatic and clickbaity, with a bleeding photo of Carlin and mention of doctors in the title. Turns out an iron fell on her head and they called an ambulance because there was a lot of blood, but in the end she didnt even needed stitches. It was lucky the iron fell on Carlin and not one of the kids, hopefully they have it in a more secure place now.

They also finally went to the neurologist that specializes in migraines, she prescribed Carlin with a new medication and she thinks Carlin may have a combination of epilepsy and migraines. She still needs the EGG, and they are still waiting on it, they were supposed to have it in january but Evan thinks it is unlikely since they were told they are not priority and they have not been given a date for it yet.

• Upvote 4

7 minutes ago, llucie said:

Their latests vlog is up, and it is unnecesarily dramatic and clickbaity, with a bleeding photo of Carlin and mention of doctors in the title. Turns out an iron fell on her head and they called an ambulance because there was a lot of blood, but in the end she didnt even needed stitches. It was lucky the iron fell on Carlin and not one of the kids, hopefully they have it in a more secure place now.

They also finally went to the neurologist that specializes in migraines, she prescribed Carlin with a new medication and she thinks Carlin may have a combination of epilepsy and migraines. She still needs the EGG, and they are still waiting on it, they were supposed to have it in january but Evan thinks it is unlikely since they were told they are not priority and they have not been given a date for it yet.

That thumbnail is crazy. I cannot imagine getting out a phone to take a picture of that in that moment. 

• Upvote 4
  • I Agree 3

If Evan has made a clickbait title you can be sure whatever it is is nothing.

I've not finished watching...at 2:30min the dagblame hat has returned and they have Another Sponsor. 

Ugh.

Also Carlin wore what looks like a shiny raincoat to church but I guess it's actually a baggy dress.

What I want to know is does it make the raincoat squish swish noise? And how hot was that material?

• Haha 2

There was also a super dramatic moment of them talking about Layla saying she has back pain. Apparently, Layla has been complaining about it for a while. They decided to call or text their chiropractor or the pediatrician. They aren't clear on who and ask for advice. Whoever said they don't want to do an x-ray on a child her size and said to buy a new car seat. My first thought was maybe a UTI or kidney infection.  

• WTF 5
  • Thank You 1

I’m so cheap I wouldn’t call an ambulance unless someone was out cold or dying in front of my eyes. Isn’t it sad that money likely plays a big factor in so many medical choices in this country. I’m sure there are plenty of people who won’t call an ambulance either because of the high cost. It’s sad really.

• Upvote 8
  • I Agree 7

At least Evan takes things seriously enough to call an ambulance. He seems to be a better safe than sorry type.

They mentioned layla started complaining about her back hurting on rides to Nashville. If she does have an uncomfortable for her carseat that must be miserable seeing as they are constantly driving long distances.

• Upvote 9
  • I Agree 1

On 1/16/2023 at 5:47 AM, rebeccawriter01 said:

There was also a super dramatic moment of them talking about Layla saying she has back pain. Apparently, Layla has been complaining about it for a while. They decided to call or text their chiropractor or the pediatrician. They aren't clear on who and ask for advice. Whoever said they don't want to do an x-ray on a child her size and said to buy a new car seat. My first thought was maybe a UTI or kidney infection.  

Back pain?! If they called the pediatrician I shall scream. Toddlers with back pain is a red flag that should be takene seriously and properly evaluated! X-ray might or might not be appropriate, but better a small amount of radiation if indicated than a malignancy that grows unnoticed. 

If they called a chiropractor, color me surprised 🤷‍♀️

• Upvote 5

On 1/15/2023 at 9:08 PM, JermajestyDuggar said:

I’m so cheap I wouldn’t call an ambulance unless someone was out cold or dying in front of my eyes. Isn’t it sad that money likely plays a big factor in so many medical choices in this country. I’m sure there are plenty of people who won’t call an ambulance either because of the high cost. It’s sad really.

My dad, a retired Fire Chief, recently needed to activate EMS for a respiratory issue (well, my mom did), and was carted off to the hospital. The bill, $2600.00 (ask me how I know!). He had a $50.00 C0-pay and complained about that.

• Upvote 2
  • Sad 1

Their latest video ground to a crawl during the section where Evan was complaining about not having space to work in the boutique.

I notice they don't always know how to edit their footage to keep their videos "snappy". Other YouTuber do a much better job.

• Upvote 1

• Coconut Flan locked this topic