IGNORED

Chevrolet's Upcoming EVs

47of74

Yesterday Chevrolet revealed its upcoming Equinox EV

They also have electric Blazer and Silverados coming out and are doing Blazer reservations now.  I was leaning towards the Blazer before but considering how much it would be for a decently equipped model I'm starting to lean more towards the Equinox.  I asked the salesman I worked with last time if there's any reservation news yet. 

The 1LT Equinox is expected to come out next fall, and the 2LT in the spring of 2024.  I'd most likely go with the 2LT since it's the mid-range version and has the estimated 300 mile range.  Meaning if I had to I could probably get all the way back to Dubuque on a single charge.  One of the things I look at too is how many kilowatts per hour a vehicle can accept.  The Bolt can only do 50kw per hour fast charging.  Big reason I held off so long last year was trying to make the decision if I wanted another Bolt that could only do 50kwh or a competitor vehicle that could do at least 125kw per hour.  It looks like the Equinox can do 150kwh which Chevy says translates to about 70 miles of range after 10 minutes of fast charging.  There's more fast chargers in Iowa that can output at 125 or 150kw along one of the routes to Dubuque so it'd help to be able to charge faster.

• Upvote 1

• 7 months later...

Chevy is ending Bolt production late this year.

General Motors plans to stop production of its electric Chevrolet Bolt models by the end of this year, CEO Mary Barra told investors Tuesday when discussing the company’s first-quarter earnings.

The Chevy Bolt EV and EUV, a larger version of the car, make up the vast majority of the company’s electric vehicle sales to date. However, the battery cells in the cars are an older design and chemistry than the automaker’s newer electric vehicles such as the GMC Hummer and Cadillac Lyriq, which utilize GM’s Ultium architecture.

Barra said a suburban Detroit plant that has produced Chevy Bolts since 2016 will be retooled in preparation for production of electric Chevy Silverado and GMC Sierra trucks scheduled for next year.

There’s irony in the timing of the Bolt getting axed. It comes amid record production and sales of the vehicle for mass-market consumers, which was GM’s initial goal.

I guess they’re going to focus on upcoming EVs.