IGNORED

Maxwell 55: Anna and Mary Adventures at ABC - Freedom!

Coconut Flan

So I have a weird personal connection to ABC through my time at Liberty, kind of.  Anyhow, sometimes I poke around on that website because it’s crazy to me that someone I knew IRL somewhat well probably interacts with the Maxwell girls.  Luckily I think those two people, while terrible because of the religion they practice, were also nice and kind and definitely not Steve legalistic. The wife of the group said things when she was many many year. Anyhow, being nosey tonight brought me to this when searching on the people I know.  

is this Mary’s man? https://abc.edu/news-and-events/doulos/issues/2017/3/3.html

Edited by treemom
  • Upvote 7

1 hour ago, treemom said:

So I have a weird personal connection to ABC through my time at Liberty, kind of.  Anyhow, sometimes I poke around on that website because it’s crazy to me that someone I knew IRL somewhat well probably interacts with the Maxwell girls.  Luckily I think those two people, while terrible because of the religion they practice, were also nice and kind and definitely not Steve legalistic. The wife of the group said things when she was many many year. Anyhow, being nosey tonight brought me to this when searching on the people I know.  

is this Mary’s man? https://abc.edu/news-and-events/doulos/issues/2017/3/3.html

I believe David is Samuel’s brother. I believe Samuel has either 2 or 3 brothers. And one sister. 

• Upvote 8

I live in a small city in New England, and I’m having my modestly-sized neo italianate house painted next week. It’s a nice lemon yellow now, but the house next door is an orangey yellow in the same style, and it clashes with mine, an effect that will be worsened when I add black accents like theirs to the white trim as I plan to. So I’ve somewhat unhappily settled on a medium gray—a really common exterior color here. I don’t dislike gray, but it isn’t a fun color and I have to spend so much on this that I wanted a little fun out if it. Lots of colors I like make Italianate houses look like wedding cakes, and I really dislike beige and brown. At first I consoled myself with the thought of magenta doors, but I realized it would clash with the red brick basement and walk. So brick red doors? Green? Ah, well. 🙄 (As a friend used to tell me, “Bastet, some people have real problems.”)

Edited by Bastet
  • Upvote 4
  • Love 3

17 minutes ago, Bastet said:

I live in a small city in New England, and I’m having my modestly-sized neo italianate house painted next week. It’s a nice lemon yellow now, but the house next door is an orangey yellow in the same style, and it clashes with mine, an effect that will be worsened when I add black accents like theirs to the white trim as I plan to. So I’ve somewhat unhappily settled on a medium gray—a really common exterior color here. I don’t dislike gray, but it isn’t a fun color and I have to spend so much on this that I wanted a little fun out if it. Lots of colors I like make Italianate houses look like wedding cakes, and I really dislike beige and brown. At first I consoled myself with the thought of magenta doors, but I realized it would clash with the red brick basement and walk. So brick red doors? Green? Ah, well. 🙄 (As a friend used to tell me, “Bastet, some people have real problems.”)

The great thing about doors is that they are very easy to change if you hate the color. You could go with eggplant, and if you hate it, you can paint it again. And if you don’t like that, you can paint it again! You only need a sample sized paint or just a pint. Those are much cheaper than a gallon. And it’s pretty quick to paint a door. 

Other colors that might go well with gray and brick: navy, very light sage green, or maybe a light butter yellow.

• Upvote 7
  • I Agree 1
  • Thank You 2

Beige is the new grey? I thought that grey was the new beige! When we moved into our condo 12 years ago my mom painted all the walls varying shades of beige. I hated it. 10 years later she switched to grey. I don’t mind grey as long as it has a lot of blue and purple in it because I like more colors in general. @Alisamera lilacs with glitter in it sounds absolutely beautiful! I hope you post pictures!

Does anyone else see ‘grey’ and ‘gray’ as two different colors? Grey is softer, lighter, like mist or a stuffed animal. Gray is flatter, harder, like cement or a submarine.

• Upvote 8
  • I Agree 3

On 9/12/2022 at 11:20 AM, ElizaB said:

I imagine Kory was on the retreat where he proposed and saw this listing. Since he wasn’t home he had to send the real estate agent to see it. It seems that Sarah either knew the proposal was coming and was involved in the choosing of the house. Or- didn’t know and kory just picked out the house on his own. 

I have a hunch Sarah and Kory had talked about marriage. And the house will be fine--plenty of ceiling fans to keep her busy.

• Upvote 3
  • Rufus Bless 1
  • Haha 1

On 9/14/2022 at 5:23 PM, theologygeek said:

All of this to say I am not going to college but staying at home to bless my family and others in whatever way I can, grow spiritually, and learn in areas that will be useful for my future!

I am so glad no one--not complete strangers, not anyone in my immediate family--was able to hold me to the  values and goals I had at age 18. Ideally, people grow and change. Anna certainly did.

23 hours ago, Alisamer said:

Yeah I feel like gray at first was a refreshing change from white, but at a point it starts looking like the interior of a battleship. My current house is a sandy warm yellow in most of the rooms and terracotta orange in one of the bathrooms. I'm not sure what I'll be doing in the new house but I'm kind of leaning toward lilac with glitter in it for the master bedroom, leaving the walls white in the art studio (where I may eventually paint things on them), white for the hallway since I plan to hang art there, and I haven't decided for the living room and den yet. Not gray, probably. Or if it is gray it'll be a pale silvery gray or something. I may fall back on a sandy warm color though. I can't wear warm colors with my skin tone, but they look really inviting on walls, IMO. Warms up the space and makes it look homey without being claustrophobic. 

I am so excited/happy for you and your new home!

• Upvote 11
  • Love 2

On 9/12/2022 at 11:41 PM, hoipolloi said:

I must have low or no standards. IMO, the house is fine and can immediately be "improved" for relatively little money -- e.g., new/additional light fixtures, replacing the window treatments, new paneling, new furniture. They have years to fix it up if thatʻs what they want to do. Hopefully, they had a pre-closing inspection and have verified that the big stuff -- roof, structure, plumbing, electrical, sewage, heating & cooling, ground termites -- is all good. Certainly, a number of the appliances are pretty new. 

If I were them, Iʻd eventually consider two big ticket items: installing a rooftop solar PV system (maybe those are swear words in OK) and investing in a storm shelter, preferably below ground level. They live within Tornado Alley.

I agree.  It’s not my taste, but doesn’t look too bad.  I’ve lived in much worse places, including the house we bought 27 years ago.  It was built in the early 60s and was almost completely original.  The previous owner had been a heavy smoker and so we could see where pictures had hung on the walls.  Before we moved in we pulled up the carpet and tossed all the curtains and drapes, washed and painted the walls and ceilings, and refinished the floors.  And we lived with the original kitchen and bathrooms for five years before we changed anything else.  The neighborhood had a good school and we could afford the house.  BTW, the house they bought would be about $600k here.  😟

• Upvote 7

19 hours ago, treemom said:

Cringeworthy take on how to be an annoying, arrogant and extremely judgmental god-bothering ass: "And so the last few weeks we have talked about how to confront people biblically, how to speak in love even when you need to put your foot down, how to discern a person’s spiritual maturity or even if they are saved based on their walk. It’s super profitable learning how to approach these situations when—not ‘if’—you get involved in them.”  It bothers me that this is teaching young men that they are required to judge another human's spirituality and they they have a "God given right" to do exactly that. 

...and this, this is so so so Stevehovah: 

"My church has just started an evangelism team and I’m hoping to do that next semester. Knowing that Christ’s return is imminent and that people are going to hell every day—it strikes me as something super important."

• Upvote 3
  • Disgust 1
  • Sad 3
  • Rufus Bless 1
  • Eyeroll 7
  • WTF 1
  • I Agree 3
  • Thank You 4

2 hours ago, Howl said:

Cringeworthy take on how to be an annoying, arrogant and extremely judgmental god-bothering ass: "And so the last few weeks we have talked about how to confront people biblically, how to speak in love even when you need to put your foot down, how to discern a person’s spiritual maturity or even if they are saved based on their walk. It’s super profitable learning how to approach these situations when—not ‘if’—you get involved in them.”  It bothers me that this is teaching young men that they are required to judge another human's spirituality and they they have a "God given right" to do exactly that. 

...and this, this is so so so Stevehovah: 

"My church has just started an evangelism team and I’m hoping to do that next semester. Knowing that Christ’s return is imminent and that people are going to hell every day—it strikes me as something super important."

Ugh! The arrogance of such a youngin'

• Upvote 18

3 hours ago, MsThibodeaux said:

I’ve lived in much worse places, including the house we bought 27 years ago.  It was built in the early 60s and was almost completely original.  The previous owner had been a heavy smoker and so we could see where pictures had hung on the walls.

OMG. I may have low standards but the thought of dealing with a smoker's house makes my stomach turn. I don't see how you could do it without demolishing everything first. Kudos to your persistence but UGH.

For me, being stuck in a longtime smoker's space, whether it's a car, house, or office, is instantly nauseating. Nothing covers or removes that stench.

• Upvote 6
  • I Agree 4

4 hours ago, Howl said:

How arrogant to think this sprout knows better than God. 
“But concerning that day or that hour, no one knows, not even the angels in heaven, nor the Son, but only the Father. Mark 13:32

• Upvote 13
  • Love 3

2 hours ago, hoipolloi said:

OMG. I may have low standards but the thought of dealing with a smoker's house makes my stomach turn. I don't see how you could do it without demolishing everything first. Kudos to your persistence but UGH.

For me, being stuck in a longtime smoker's space, whether it's a car, house, or office, is instantly nauseating. Nothing covers or removes that stench.

I grew up dealing with second hand smoke while having some lung issues. I was prone to croup when I was little and kept my barking cough. I coughed like that every time I got sick even when it wasn’t croup. I’m so glad my kids are growing up in a very different world. When I was a kid, I dealt with second hand smoke in the house, car, restaurants, bowling alleys, everywhere. I’m constantly think about how lucky my kids are. Their lungs don’t have to deal with that. 

• Upvote 14
  • I Agree 1
  • Love 7

2 hours ago, JermajestyDuggar said:

I grew up dealing with second hand smoke while having some lung issues. I was prone to croup when I was little and kept my barking cough. I coughed like that every time I got sick even when it wasn’t croup. I’m so glad my kids are growing up in a very different world. When I was a kid, I dealt with second hand smoke in the house, car, restaurants, bowling alleys, everywhere. I’m constantly think about how lucky my kids are. Their lungs don’t have to deal with that. 

That was me as well. My dad smoked more than 3 packs a day. He would smoke in the shower, and leave his cigarette on the edge of the bathroom sink between puffs. He'd wake up in the middle of the night to smoke. He would smoke at the dining room table while reading his Perry Mason books over and over again. When he and my mom split up, Mom got the dining room furniture, and when we moved it to her new apartment and cleaned it--it reeked, as you can imagine!-- the nicotine was so thick on it that my fingers and the cleaning rag were orange within minutes of getting started. Took several sessions to get it all off with Murphy's Oil Soap. I shudder now to think how much second-hand smoke we got from his addiction. Emphysema killed him at 59. :( 

• Upvote 1
  • Love 14

On 9/16/2022 at 8:20 PM, JermajestyDuggar said:

The great thing about doors is that they are very easy to change if you hate the color. You could go with eggplant, and if you hate it, you can paint it again. And if you don’t like that, you can paint it again! You only need a sample sized paint or just a pint. Those are much cheaper than a gallon. And it’s pretty quick to paint a door. 

Other colors that might go well with gray and brick: navy, very light sage green, or maybe a light butter yellow.

Don't forget a nice gray-blue.

• Upvote 3

I noticed the Maxwell pages on fundie wiki have been edited and deleted. No pages for Nathan, Christopher, Joseph and Jesse.  I'm not sure what Nathan does, but the rest of them work at Swift Otter. I think the Maxwells themselves might have had those pages taken down. It makes me wonder how long the blog will up. 

• Upvote 9
  • Confused 1

On 9/15/2022 at 2:01 PM, church_of_dog said:

My sense of household aesthetics is useless, so I have no comment along those lines about the design or decor of Sarah's new home.  But I was surprised to see a ceiling fan directly in the kitchen -- isn't that a recipe (sorry, no pun intended 🤣) for dust in your food?  

Most ceiling fans have a summer/winter switch.  For summer, the fan pushes the air downward, but in winter it pulls the air upwards.  I could see leaving the kitchen fan pulling upward in a kitchen to pull the smells up and away from the table.   Also, get a swiffer wand that extends to 3' and swiffer your fan every 2 weeks or so, and keep the dust to a minimum.    When I'm canning and freezing foods, and onions are involved, having the fan push down pushes the odor downward and away from my workspace, so little to no tears from the onions.   

18 hours ago, hoipolloi said:

We rented a house that had been smoked in for years.  During the winter I had bronchitus and we ran a vaporizer in the bedroom so I could breathe easier at night

.   After a few days, brown streaks stared running down the walls, the tar from years of cigarettes was disolving under the paint and running down the walls.   YUCK, we got out of there after a year.  

• Upvote 2
  • Disgust 3
  • WTF 2

16 hours ago, JermajestyDuggar said:

It’s amazing—and wonderful—that norms regarding smoking have changed so much. My father was a pipe and cigar smoker which is better for the smoker since neither are inhaled much, but they produce more secondhand smoke for everyone else. My grandmother who lived with us had emphysema, my mother had asthma, and I was allergic to smoke, but I don’t think it even occurred to my father, a very nice man in all other respects, to not smoke at home. Nobody got exiled to the porch in those days, and when people asked if you minded if they smoked, they didn’t really mean it and were obviously put out when you said yes. 
  The good old days. 

• Upvote 13
  • I Agree 1

22 hours ago, JermajestyDuggar said:

When I was in Hawaii in 2016 on business/vacation, I went on a bus tour to Pearl Harbor.  On the way home, someone actually asked if they could smoke on the bus, which I and my husband found very amusing.  Of course, the driver denied the request.  When we returned home and I was back to work, I relayed this story to a co-worker, who was born in 1991 and was absolutely shocked and horrified that someone would even have the audacity to ask.  He honestly couldn't fathom anyone ever doing that because in his lifetime, it just wouldn't happen.

In 2002, we took our son, then 6 years old, to a dude ranch in upstate New York.  We were in the ranch's video arcade.  My son points to the back wall and says "Mommy, look at this funny video game machine over here!  What does it do? How do you play it?"  It was a cigarette machine.  He had no idea what it was for.  But I certainly knew what it was and what it was for when I was my son's age in 1971.

• Upvote 12

21 minutes ago, HeartsAFundie said:

When I was in Hawaii in 2016 on business/vacation, I went on a bus tour to Pearl Harbor.  On the way home, someone actually asked if they could smoke on the bus, which I and my husband found very amusing.  Of course, the driver denied the request.  When we returned home and I was back to work, I relayed this story to a co-worker, who was born in 1991 and was absolutely shocked and horrified that someone would even have the audacity to ask.  He honestly couldn't fathom anyone ever doing that because in his lifetime, it just wouldn't happen.

In 2002, we took our son, then 6 years old, to a dude ranch in upstate New York.  We were in the ranch's video arcade.  My son points to the back wall and says "Mommy, look at this funny video game machine over here!  What does it do? How do you play it?"  It was a cigarette machine.  He had no idea what it was for.  But I certainly knew what it was and what it was for when I was my son's age in 1971.

I remember the cig machines! I was born in 1982. They were in a lot of restaurants and bowling alleys when I was a kid. Since my parents smoked, I always asked if they would get a pack from the machine so I could pull the lever. They always said no. Buying a carton was cheaper they would say. 

• Upvote 10

28 minutes ago, JermajestyDuggar said:

I remember the cig machines! I was born in 1982. They were in a lot of restaurants and bowling alleys when I was a kid. Since my parents smoked, I always asked if they would get a pack from the machine so I could pull the lever. They always said no. Buying a carton was cheaper they would say. 

Yes, it was.  The machines were totally there for convenience.  

• Upvote 5

I was diagnosed with a tobacco allergy as a toddler in the early ‘50s, but that did not stop my parents from smoking.

My mom and my first husband were devout smokers. My mom quit the same year he and I split up. Suddenly, I didn’t have to wash all the curtains in my apartment every damn month, and I got sick a *lot* less.

• Upvote 8
  • Sad 2
  • Love 1

• Coconut Flan locked this topic