IGNORED

Maxwell 55: Anna and Mary Adventures at ABC - Freedom!

Coconut Flan

5 hours ago, Baba O'Riley said:

Has anyone been able to zoom in to see what books are on the bookshelves?  I am dying to know.  

I love that he watches tv shows such as Starsky and Hutch.  Steve really must have become unhinged about this. 

The poster isn't even about the old TV show, it's the 2004 movie with Ben Stiller & Owen Wilson! https://www.imdb.com/title/tt0335438/

• Upvote 8

52 minutes ago, JermajestyDuggar said:

What’s better? That the girl in yellow is states away from her controlling father. 

4D3F9F90-8B88-4843-8571-A5ABF5D2738D.jpeg

I have a feeling that she is going to end up working at that school after she graduates.  Don't know why I think that, but I do.  

• Upvote 20
  • I Agree 2
  • Love 3

I'm glad Teri acknowledged Sarah's wedding, but I notice that she managed to sneak in some passive aggressive commentary by going on far too long about how long Sarah waited to get married. Can the woman ever manage to just say something nice about Sarah without dragging in a reference to something that was likely painful for Sarah?

Edited by browngrl
autocorrect is not that correct sometimes
  • Upvote 26
  • I Agree 2

Just now, browngrl said:

I'm glad Teri acknowledged Sarah's wedding, but I notice that she managed to sneak in some passive aggressive commentary but going on far too long about how long Sarah waited to get married. Can the woman ever manage to just say something nice about Sarah without dragging in a reference to something that was likely painful for Sarah?

It’s not as bad as Sarah Mally’s wedding. Her father was ruthless about her getting married in her 40s. 

• Upvote 10
  • Confused 1
  • Sad 1
  • WTF 1

30 minutes ago, JermajestyDuggar said:

It’s not as bad as Sarah Mally’s wedding. Her father was ruthless about her getting married in her 40s. 

I watched Sarah Mally's wedding and I don't remember that. I do remember him talking waayyyyy tooo much about his gender disappointment when she was born. I liked the part where his mother told him that children are gifts from God and he should stop complaining. It took him longer to stop though. 

• Upvote 11

6 minutes ago, Bluebirdbluebell said:

I watched Sarah Mally's wedding and I don't remember that. I do remember him talking waayyyyy tooo much about his gender disappointment when she was born. I liked the part where his mother told him that children are gifts from God and he should stop complaining. It took him longer to stop though. 

Here are some of our quotes while watching the wedding livestream. You can go back and look yourself on the Mally thread. He harped on both things. His disappointment at her being a girl and the fact they thought she would never marry. 

1ED3D04B-7F8C-411A-A006-F2A5E9B08102.jpeg

• Upvote 2
  • Sad 1
  • WTF 3
  • Thank You 5

I would bet that once Sarah and Kory had decided on a future together, she knew he was putting his bachelor pad up for sale in order to buy a larger house for the two of them.  Perhaps he lived there with a brother - whatever, but he sold at a bit below market price because of the water damage issue in the bathroom and wanting to sell quickly.  They probably talked about what sort of house they wanted and he did let her know about the realtor identifying the place he ultimately bought and showed her pictures. They seemed to be in a real hurry to close the deal so it all happened quickly.  My hope is he will give her majority say in decorating, improvements, etc. so she can have fun and enjoy the process!

I would love to see what the place looks like in 6 months....sigh....probably not going to happen.

2 hours ago, theologygeek said:

I have a feeling that she is going to end up working at that school after she graduates.  Don't know why I think that, but I do.  

I TOTALLY AGREE! It would be an easy transition for her - graduate, stay in the area, work and thrive in a friendly, academic community.   Her people skills would make her a great candidate for an internship and eventual job in an administrative capacity at ABC.  And I think Anna has the smarts and drive to be talking to people about that now, scoping out possibilities, perhaps consider majoring in an area that would lead to a job  at the school.

Mary, on the other hand, I think is more focused on finding a husband and wants to marry right after graduation (so no need to return home to Kansas to live) and start a family so having a career is not in the forefront.

• Upvote 16
  • I Agree 1

On 9/6/2022 at 9:29 PM, Mela99 said:

As to what NellieBelle said previously, I don’t think Steve would give a hoot what Sarah wanted or not. He’s not writing about them because his little man feelings are a box of shattered crackers and he took his toys and went home

I’m sure if he were free, Joshly Duggar would help Steve clean up the cracker crumbs. 

• Upvote 2
  • Haha 10
  • Love 1

10 hours ago, anachronistic said:

@HereticHick I’m with you about the stairs. Every time I visit a relative with a multiple story home I wonder why the heck people do this. I mean, in my case it’s nit because of age but because of disability that it’s physically painful, but it’s also just inconvenient. I have a tiny 3-room public housing apartment that is exactly big enough for me. ( I’d love an outside area or porch but there are numerous parks in my neighborhood so I’m fine.)

Our house has two short staircases (raised ranch) and it wasn't our top design choice.  But when you're young buying a home for a family you're not thinking too far ahead to a time when you might not be able to climb stairs. Also, for us, the budget was important and where we live it's very hard to find homes on one floor unless you build it yourself, which for us would have been out of our price range.  I like the idea of separating spaces in a home with stairs, but the older I get the more I'm starting to think about possible mobility problems in the future.  I've got some ideas about how to renovate our first floor in case we need to do that.   Fortunately, we have one entrance that doesn't require climbing stairs and mobility challenged older relatives of ours appreciate that.

• Upvote 7

5 minutes ago, Caroline said:

Our house has two short staircases (raised ranch) and it wasn't our top design choice.  But when you're young buying a home for a family you're not thinking too far ahead to a time when you might not be able to climb stairs. Also, for us, the budget was important and where we live it's very hard to find homes on one floor unless you build it yourself, which for us would have been out of our price range.  I like the idea of separating spaces in a home with stairs, but the older I get the more I'm starting to think about possible mobility problems in the future.  I've got some ideas about how to renovate our first floor in case we need to do that.   Fortunately, we have one entrance that doesn't require climbing stairs and mobility challenged older relatives of ours appreciate that.

One of the houses I lived in when I was growing up was a split level. I was surprised (at like 12) when we moved in, as my dad was already experiencing mobility challenges and had complained about the stairs at the walk-up we lived in before. His best friend used a wheelchair and a modified car, so he couldn't even visit, as there was no way into the house that didn't have a stair or ten.  I like the aesthetic and privacy/safety of two story homes (more than the split levels that are super popular in my area) but as I get older and more time challenged, the less I want to haul laundry up and down stairs, or deal with guests having to go up stairs to use a washroom, or any other number of things. We didn't stay at that house very long. 

I recently looked at a ranch style home and it was so beautiful, and the layout was so much better than our current ranch. I'm not great at explaining it, but I loved that unlike most ranch homes in this town, the bedrooms were off in their own area, which made it feel so much bigger and less cramped. 

• Upvote 6

I was 32 when I built my house. The bedrooms and one bath are upstairs, but I laid it out so that I could live on one level if it were ever necessary, and made sure the doorways were wide enough for wheelchairs. Having been through a broken foot and, more recently, a knee replacement, I’m thanking my younger self. (I built a colonial because my younger self thought climbing stairs was good for your health. It is—if you’re capable of doing it!)

• Upvote 13
  • I Agree 1

I can't.  LOL  This never gets old...

AM I GOING TO COLLEGE?

I am writing this post in response to some who have asked in blog comments what I’m doing after high-school graduation and whether I will be going to college. First let me take a moment to share with you what the Lord has done in my heart toward college.

As I seek to draw closer to the Lord, I am always evaluating my decisions based on what the Bible says and also the fruit of a certain decision that I can observe in other people’s lives. In addition, I take heed my parents’ counsel. College would be what most would consider the next big step in my life.

“For every tree is known by his own fruit. For of thorns men do not gather figs, nor of a bramble bush gather they grapes.” (Luke 6:44)

As I thought about college and saw the negative fruit in the lives of many who have gone there, it was obvious to me that there were dangers and pitfalls in college that I would prefer to avoid. Seldom, if ever that I can recall, have I seen a young person go off to college and return exhibiting a higher level of spiritual maturity, or even the same level, at which he entered. Usually he has slid backwards – a lot or a little. It is my desire to stay pure, to wholly follow Him, and to not knowingly put myself in any place where I might fall. We have seen many young people go to college and come out totally different in a negative sense.

“A prudent man foreseeth the evil, and hideth himself; but the simple pass on, and are punished.” (Proverbs 27:12)

Applying this verse to college, I see the dangers at college, and I want to protect myself from them.

“…wise unto that which is good, and simple concerning evil.” (Romans 16:19)

“Be not deceived; God is not mocked: for whatsoever a man soweth, that shall he also reap.” (Galatians 6:7)

In colleges – even Christian colleges – so much of what is being taught is ungodly. It may seem harmless to read something that is unbiblical, thinking that I will just let it slide out of my mind. However it seems to me that in reality this is sowing bad seed with equally bad fruit. I don’t want to learn the things that are being taught in colleges. At home, I can learn what will profit me for my future and what will lead to my spiritual growth.

In our family, we are insatiable learners. Even after high school, we are constantly learning. Graduation is just a way point on the path of learning. We are always eager for new opportunities to grow our knowledge. We look for ways to serve, and many times God stretches us out of our comfort zone, which might involve learning something we would never have thought ourselves capable of learning. So, I may not go to college, but in every step of my life I am continuing to learn.

It also seems kind of silly for me to go to college, because I am so grateful that Mom and Dad saved me from many worldly influences by homeschooling me. Why would I then choose to expose myself to those influences my parents protected me from? We have seen young people who go to college and while in college they fall away from their faith and turn to the world. It is with much pleasure that I can thank Dad and Mom for blessing me with a wonderful education, an excellent teacher, and a pure environment to learn in. I am so blessed to be able to be in a family where they welcome and encourage us to stay at home after we graduate from high school!

All the above are reason enough for me not to want go to college, but I will add that it is my desire, if the Lord wills, to be a stay-at-home wife and mother someday.

“To be discreet, chaste, keepers at home, good, obedient to their own husbands, that the word of God be not blasphemed.” (Titus 2:5)

I don’t feel that a college degree would help me toward this desire. In fact, we have heard from some moms that their degree hindered them, in the beginning, from choosing to be a wife and mother. They went into college with a stay-at-home mindset, but then graduated and started to work. After all, they had invested heavily with their time and finances in a career-specific education and didn’t feel they wanted to waste that investment. In hindsight, they have shared their regrets with this detour from the direction they felt the Lord would have had for their lives.

Another reason why I am not attending college is because of the huge financial cost of college. It seems that it would be a waste of the Lord’s finances for me to go to college when I have no need for a college degree. I certainly wouldn’t want to go into debt for a degree. I have seen one of my sisters and four of my brothers excel in their adult professional lives without a college degree and without debt. I wish to follow in their foot steps.

“Owe no man any thing, but to love one another: for he that loveth another hath fulfilled the law.” (Romans 13:8)

The Lord has filled what I have to do with my time so that it is flowing over the brim. I am busy helping with Titus2 order fulfillment plus learning Titus2 bookkeeping and other aspects of our ministry. I’m also helping at home, cleaning for my grandparents, assisting my brother’s family as needed, sewing, doing bookkeeping for Joseph and John’s business, practicing music, tackling other projects that come up, and have a couple of other things right now that I want to study as time allows!

“Redeeming the time, because the days are evil.” (Ephesians 5:16)

All of this to say I am not going to college but staying at home to bless my family and others in whatever way I can, grow spiritually, and learn in areas that will be useful for my future!

In Christ,
Anna

• Upvote 3
  • Sad 2
  • Rufus Bless 1
  • Eyeroll 3
  • Thank You 7

4 hours ago, theologygeek said:

She would be really good as a dorm supervisor. I imagine she would be really good at helping other girls transition into college.

• Upvote 9
  • I Agree 3
  • Love 1

9 minutes ago, ElizaB said:

She would be really good as a dorm supervisor. I imagine she would be really good at helping other girls transition into college.

It would probably count as doing godly work. They might not be converting people. But it’s very Jesus-y. But it’s probably too much fun for Steve. 

• Upvote 3

5 hours ago, theologygeek said:

Or in the alpine ministries section. That seems to be right up her alley, given how outdoorsy she is. 

3 hours ago, Hellothere said:

Mary, on the other hand, I think is more focused on finding a husband and wants to marry right after graduation (so no need to return home to Kansas to live) and start a family so having a career is not in the forefront.

Oh, I think she still wants to do missionary work, but as the wife of a missionary (well, a certain missionary in particular).

I am assuming that the sort of work she is interested in in Africa the wife would be expected to be involved with ministering to women and children rather than just hanging around at home. 

Edited by Captain Obvious
  • Upvote 16
  • I Agree 1
  • Love 2

1 hour ago, theologygeek said:

I can't.  LOL  This never gets old...

AM I GOING TO COLLEGE?

I am writing this post in response to some who have asked in blog comments what I’m doing after high-school graduation and whether I will be going to college. First let me take a moment to share with you what the Lord has done in my heart toward college.

As I seek to draw closer to the Lord, I am always evaluating my decisions based on what the Bible says and also the fruit of a certain decision that I can observe in other people’s lives. In addition, I take heed my parents’ counsel. College would be what most would consider the next big step in my life.

“For every tree is known by his own fruit. For of thorns men do not gather figs, nor of a bramble bush gather they grapes.” (Luke 6:44)

As I thought about college and saw the negative fruit in the lives of many who have gone there, it was obvious to me that there were dangers and pitfalls in college that I would prefer to avoid. Seldom, if ever that I can recall, have I seen a young person go off to college and return exhibiting a higher level of spiritual maturity, or even the same level, at which he entered. Usually he has slid backwards – a lot or a little. It is my desire to stay pure, to wholly follow Him, and to not knowingly put myself in any place where I might fall. We have seen many young people go to college and come out totally different in a negative sense.

“A prudent man foreseeth the evil, and hideth himself; but the simple pass on, and are punished.” (Proverbs 27:12)

Applying this verse to college, I see the dangers at college, and I want to protect myself from them.

“…wise unto that which is good, and simple concerning evil.” (Romans 16:19)

“Be not deceived; God is not mocked: for whatsoever a man soweth, that shall he also reap.” (Galatians 6:7)

In colleges – even Christian colleges – so much of what is being taught is ungodly. It may seem harmless to read something that is unbiblical, thinking that I will just let it slide out of my mind. However it seems to me that in reality this is sowing bad seed with equally bad fruit. I don’t want to learn the things that are being taught in colleges. At home, I can learn what will profit me for my future and what will lead to my spiritual growth.

In our family, we are insatiable learners. Even after high school, we are constantly learning. Graduation is just a way point on the path of learning. We are always eager for new opportunities to grow our knowledge. We look for ways to serve, and many times God stretches us out of our comfort zone, which might involve learning something we would never have thought ourselves capable of learning. So, I may not go to college, but in every step of my life I am continuing to learn.

It also seems kind of silly for me to go to college, because I am so grateful that Mom and Dad saved me from many worldly influences by homeschooling me. Why would I then choose to expose myself to those influences my parents protected me from? We have seen young people who go to college and while in college they fall away from their faith and turn to the world. It is with much pleasure that I can thank Dad and Mom for blessing me with a wonderful education, an excellent teacher, and a pure environment to learn in. I am so blessed to be able to be in a family where they welcome and encourage us to stay at home after we graduate from high school!

All the above are reason enough for me not to want go to college, but I will add that it is my desire, if the Lord wills, to be a stay-at-home wife and mother someday.

“To be discreet, chaste, keepers at home, good, obedient to their own husbands, that the word of God be not blasphemed.” (Titus 2:5)

I don’t feel that a college degree would help me toward this desire. In fact, we have heard from some moms that their degree hindered them, in the beginning, from choosing to be a wife and mother. They went into college with a stay-at-home mindset, but then graduated and started to work. After all, they had invested heavily with their time and finances in a career-specific education and didn’t feel they wanted to waste that investment. In hindsight, they have shared their regrets with this detour from the direction they felt the Lord would have had for their lives.

Another reason why I am not attending college is because of the huge financial cost of college. It seems that it would be a waste of the Lord’s finances for me to go to college when I have no need for a college degree. I certainly wouldn’t want to go into debt for a degree. I have seen one of my sisters and four of my brothers excel in their adult professional lives without a college degree and without debt. I wish to follow in their foot steps.

“Owe no man any thing, but to love one another: for he that loveth another hath fulfilled the law.” (Romans 13:8)

The Lord has filled what I have to do with my time so that it is flowing over the brim. I am busy helping with Titus2 order fulfillment plus learning Titus2 bookkeeping and other aspects of our ministry. I’m also helping at home, cleaning for my grandparents, assisting my brother’s family as needed, sewing, doing bookkeeping for Joseph and John’s business, practicing music, tackling other projects that come up, and have a couple of other things right now that I want to study as time allows!

“Redeeming the time, because the days are evil.” (Ephesians 5:16)

All of this to say I am not going to college but staying at home to bless my family and others in whatever way I can, grow spiritually, and learn in areas that will be useful for my future!

In Christ,
Anna

I remember this post so well. I was on a cruise ship, and used expensive and slow cruise ship internet to comment on it. Of course, my response never saw the light of day on the Maxhell blog.  I just thought it was such a waste of God-given talents and capabilities, and that it made me so very sad. 

• Upvote 15
  • Love 2

4 hours ago, Hellothere said:

I TOTALLY AGREE! It would be an easy transition for her - graduate, stay in the area, work and thrive in a friendly, academic community.   Her people skills would make her a great candidate for an internship and eventual job in an administrative capacity at ABC.  And I think Anna has the smarts and drive to be talking to people about that now, scoping out possibilities, perhaps consider majoring in an area that would lead to a job  at the school.

If Mary didn't have a boyfriend, I would say the opposite for the two sisters. I think Mary would enjoy working. I definitely think Anna will be eager to find someone after graduation, if not before. The rules at the school make it hard to date. I hope Anna gets away from that place.

Edited by Bluebirdbluebell
  • Upvote 4

11 hours ago, Bluebirdbluebell said:

If Mary didn't have a boyfriend, I would say the opposite for the two sisters. I think Mary would enjoy working. I definitely think Anna will be eager to find someone after graduation, if not before. The rules at the school make it hard to date. I hope Anna gets away from that place.

It’s a lot easier to date there than at home at least. 

• Upvote 12
  • WTF 1
  • I Agree 3
  • Love 2

Anna’s age probably makes it harder for her to date in her current environment. She is likely much older than the other single undergrads- Nevertheless, her chances are better away from Maxhell than in it.

• Upvote 13
  • I Agree 1

7 minutes ago, SassyPants said:

Anna’s age probably makes it harder for her to date in her current environment. She is likely much older than the other single undergrads- Nevertheless, her chances are better away from Maxhell than in it.

I’m thinking maybe some of her friends at school want to set her up with an older brother. I think some young fundies like to play matchmaker like Emma Woodhouse. So then they can have a good friend as a sister in law. 

• Upvote 10
  • Love 2

On 9/13/2022 at 2:55 PM, Hellothere said:

The listing says the new house has central air so they are fine.  But even with air conditioning, ceiling fans are useful.
Those fans are really dated. Unless you want that old fashioned vibe, a big improvement would be changing them out for some with more modern design that don’t have the 4 glass lights hanging down.  

The house I'm buying with my sister is a 1971 brick ranch and reminds me SO MUCH of this house, which is why my brain immediately started listing things I'd change... I'm about to be doing those changes in real time myself.

Interestingly the ceiling fan in the master bedroom of my house is the same one my dad installed in the 80s. White with bright brass hardware and fake gold paint outlines and the 4 hanging down lights. It's hideous. It's not a high priority to be changed, but I'm definitely going to be keeping an eye out for replacements. I will probably keep fans in parts of the house as they really do help with cooling, but I hope I can put in nicer ones over time. In the meantime I may either flip over or paint the blades so they are plain white at least, so they'll fade away a bit visually.

The countertops in my house are formica and have green accents and are the ones my mom picked out when she was in her early 20s. I kind of love how kitsch they are, but I don't think they're in good enough condition to keep. And the brown wood cabinets are totally 100% getting painted ASAP. I'm still debating on colors, but they will not be brown. The floor can be brown. But not the cabinets or walls.

On 9/13/2022 at 3:10 PM, Maggie Mae said:

Hardly anyone has central air conditioning in my town. We are a city of baseboard heating/radiant heat panels, ceiling fans, and occasionally a swamp cooler for two weeks in the summer when Costco sells of of the window units AC. 

I wish I could talk about the pros/cons of AC vs not, but I don't live in a place that requires it. I know AC usually makes me feel kind of sick when I go to places like Florida, and I do prefer less fluctuation from the outside heat to the inside heat. 

I live in a place where AC is an absolute necessity, IMO. My grandparents got by without it for many years, but that was by sitting still in their den with all the lights off and a fan blowing directly on them for most of the summer, eating only cold foods so they didn't have to cook. It's hotter now, and SO humid most of the summer that it's simply not feasible not to have AC. That's one of the major fixes we have to do on the house, but since we're going into fall we might put it off a bit. I do have window units at least.

When I was a kid we had AC, but my parents would try to run it as little as possible. So they had a whole-house exhaust fan and a big dehumidifier in the hallway. I hope that whole-house fan works still. Once we've painted and it's dried a little I may open all the windows and turn that thing on and all the fumes will go WHOOOSH. 

• Upvote 7

20 minutes ago, Alisamer said:

The house I'm buying with my sister is a 1971 brick ranch and reminds me SO MUCH of this house, which is why my brain immediately started listing things I'd change... I'm about to be doing those changes in real time myself.

Interestingly the ceiling fan in the master bedroom of my house is the same one my dad installed in the 80s. White with bright brass hardware and fake gold paint outlines and the 4 hanging down lights. It's hideous. It's not a high priority to be changed, but I'm definitely going to be keeping an eye out for replacements. I will probably keep fans in parts of the house as they really do help with cooling, but I hope I can put in nicer ones over time. In the meantime I may either flip over or paint the blades so they are plain white at least, so they'll fade away a bit visually.

The countertops in my house are formica and have green accents and are the ones my mom picked out when she was in her early 20s. I kind of love how kitsch they are, but I don't think they're in good enough condition to keep. And the brown wood cabinets are totally 100% getting painted ASAP. I'm still debating on colors, but they will not be brown. The floor can be brown. But not the cabinets or walls.

I live in a place where AC is an absolute necessity, IMO. My grandparents got by without it for many years, but that was by sitting still in their den with all the lights off and a fan blowing directly on them for most of the summer, eating only cold foods so they didn't have to cook. It's hotter now, and SO humid most of the summer that it's simply not feasible not to have AC. That's one of the major fixes we have to do on the house, but since we're going into fall we might put it off a bit. I do have window units at least.

When I was a kid we had AC, but my parents would try to run it as little as possible. So they had a whole-house exhaust fan and a big dehumidifier in the hallway. I hope that whole-house fan works still. Once we've painted and it's dried a little I may open all the windows and turn that thing on and all the fumes will go WHOOOSH. 

AC is a must here in southeastern VA as well. The first house we lived in here, back in the 60s, didn't have it but my dad put in a window unit that they only turned on when it was really unbearable because they didnt want to pay the 'high' electric bill (in quotes because if my dad could see our bills now he'd die all over again). The cool air never quite made it to my bedroom, even with the door open and a fan on in the hallway, so I spent many a night sweltering in those long ago summers. Probably why I don't care how high the bill gets in summer now, I'll pay it to be comfortable. I just make up for it in the winter by keeping the house freezing cold so the bill is low! This coming winter is going to be scary, though, I think. Our AC is electric, but our heat is gas, and it's going to be unbelievably expensive this go-round. :( 

• Upvote 3
  • I Agree 1

14 minutes ago, Loveday said:

AC is a must here in southeastern VA as well. The first house we lived in here, back in the 60s, didn't have it but my dad put in a window unit that they only turned on when it was really unbearable because they didnt want to pay the 'high' electric bill (in quotes because if my dad could see our bills now he'd die all over again). The cool air never quite made it to my bedroom, even with the door open and a fan on in the hallway, so I spent many a night sweltering in those long ago summers. Probably why I don't care how high the bill gets in summer now, I'll pay it to be comfortable. I just make up for it in the winter by keeping the house freezing cold so the bill is low! This coming winter is going to be scary, though, I think. Our AC is electric, but our heat is gas, and it's going to be unbelievably expensive this go-round. :( 

I think the heat in the house I'll be in this winter is electric, and it also has a fireplace with an insert (though the chimney needs swept and a crack in the brick repaired), so I should be OK this winter I hope. I'm OK with keeping the house pretty chilly anyway and just heating the room I'm in and turning on the heated mattress pad on my bed. I bought one of those freestanding fake fireplace space heaters for my current house, so I also have that in case I need it. 

I'm excited to have a fireplace. With a mantel! To hang Christmas stockings on!

I'm going to get a stocking for me, and a cat one for Buddy so he can get some treats and a new collar from Santa. I'm tempted to get a bunch of teeny ones and put my doll's names on them and hang them up there if I have a doll friend Christmas party. I'm really hoping the house is done enough to decorate for Christmas this year.

• Upvote 4
  • Love 4

13 minutes ago, Alisamer said:

I think the heat in the house I'll be in this winter is electric, and it also has a fireplace with an insert (though the chimney needs swept and a crack in the brick repaired), so I should be OK this winter I hope. I'm OK with keeping the house pretty chilly anyway and just heating the room I'm in and turning on the heated mattress pad on my bed. I bought one of those freestanding fake fireplace space heaters for my current house, so I also have that in case I need it. 

I'm excited to have a fireplace. With a mantel! To hang Christmas stockings on!

I'm going to get a stocking for me, and a cat one for Buddy so he can get some treats and a new collar from Santa. I'm tempted to get a bunch of teeny ones and put my doll's names on them and hang them up there if I have a doll friend Christmas party. I'm really hoping the house is done enough to decorate for Christmas this year.

You're going to have so much fun with that house! If you do get some Christmas decorating done, I hope you'll share a photo or two with us! 😍

Our new house has a gorgeous corner fireplace--that's only for show. 😕 You flip a switch and lovely flickering firelight appears, with zero heat. Well...I did detect a faint bit of weak warmth when I turned it on over the holidays last year, but you had to put your hand on the glass to feel it. So I don't know if it's meant to radiate heat into the room and it's just not working at the mo, or if it's not meant to have heat and I was just imagining the little that I felt. It does look beautiful all decorated and lit for Christmas, but it's pretty useless otherwise! I should probably have someone out to look at it and make sure nothing's wrong with it.

• Upvote 3

• Coconut Flan locked this topic