IGNORED

Maxwell 55: Anna and Mary Adventures at ABC - Freedom!

Coconut Flan

I think I'd like the challenge of that house. Provided the foundation/electrical/plumbing is in good shape, all the changes would be cosmetic eg landscaping, paint, update fixtures, update counters etc. I think you could do a lot with it. I would paint out all the kitchen cabinets and I'd replace the counters to start with.

• Upvote 4

8 hours ago, theologygeek said:

Nice find! I have been searching all afternoon with no luck.  I did, however, find what I believe was Kory's "bachelor pad" which was just sold: https://www.redfin.com/OK/El-Reno/504-S-Frances-Ave-73036/home/71828527

Based on the comments by the realtor, it sounds like Sarah had some input in this purchase. It would also add to the speculation many of us had that Sarah knew the proposal was coming based on her reaction to it.

• Upvote 11

1 hour ago, Bastet said:

Much of what we don’t like are not expensive to fix. I’d be satisfied with pulling down the curtains and popcorn ceiling and painting the walls before moving in, then doing the rest as the budget allows. I’m betting Sarah and Kory are looking forward to this. Are either of them handy? I wish I were. 

As long as there aren't huge structural problems. But I really hate the dark wood, especially in such small rooms. Like really hate it. The bathrooms with the half wall panels would make me rethink the purchase, although the extremely low cost of the house means it could be upgraded easily, most likely. 

18 minutes ago, browngrl said:

I think I'd like the challenge of that house. Provided the foundation/electrical/plumbing is in good shape, all the changes would be cosmetic eg landscaping, paint, update fixtures, update counters etc. I think you could do a lot with it. I would paint out all the kitchen cabinets and I'd replace the counters to start with.

I think there's a lot that could be done as well. I LOVE looking at real estate and thinking about how to update homes. 

I would feel really claustrophobic in with all that dark wood, and the ugly curtains, though. I wish more listings would include a floor plan. 

• Upvote 6
  • Eyeroll 1
  • I Agree 2

1 hour ago, Queen Of Hearts said:

Nice find! I have been searching all afternoon with no luck.  I did, however, find what I believe was Kory's "bachelor pad" which was just sold: https://www.redfin.com/OK/El-Reno/504-S-Frances-Ave-73036/home/71828527

Very bachelor. Much pad.

Also - he's a Starsky and Hutch fan? 

• Upvote 4
  • Haha 4
  • I Agree 1

I must have low or no standards. IMO, the house is fine and can immediately be "improved" for relatively little money -- e.g., new/additional light fixtures, replacing the window treatments, new paneling, new furniture. They have years to fix it up if thatʻs what they want to do. Hopefully, they had a pre-closing inspection and have verified that the big stuff -- roof, structure, plumbing, electrical, sewage, heating & cooling, ground termites -- is all good. Certainly, a number of the appliances are pretty new. 

If I were them, Iʻd eventually consider two big ticket items: installing a rooftop solar PV system (maybe those are swear words in OK) and investing in a storm shelter, preferably below ground level. They live within Tornado Alley.

• Upvote 18
  • I Agree 4

I LOVE their house!  But then I also live in a brick ranch built in 1970, so I'm a bit biased.

We are only the second owners of our house, and the former owner was a meticulous housekeeper.  I have paneled walls, glitter popcorn ceilings, a room-length brick fireplace and hearth, wallpaper in the bathrooms and an intact 1970's kitchen, down to flecked laminate countertops, original cabinets and an avocado green sink, all in fab condition.  I love every inch of it.  The only major change we've made/are making is flooring, gradually moving from the old carpet to vinyl planking.  Otherwise - not touching a damn thing.  I love the 70's.

Edited by danvillebelle
  • Upvote 10
  • I Agree 1
  • Love 13

4 hours ago, hoipolloi said:

I must have low or no standards. IMO, the house is fine and can immediately be "improved" for relatively little money -- e.g., new/additional light fixtures, replacing the window treatments, new paneling, new furniture. They have years to fix it up if thatʻs what they want to do. Hopefully, they had a pre-closing inspection and have verified that the big stuff -- roof, structure, plumbing, electrical, sewage, heating & cooling, ground termites -- is all good. Certainly, a number of the appliances are pretty new. 

If I were them, Iʻd eventually consider two big ticket items: installing a rooftop solar PV system (maybe those are swear words in OK) and investing in a storm shelter, preferably below ground level. They live within Tornado Alley.

You don’t have low standards. The house looks like it’s in good condition. I’ve seen some real whoppers. This house looks like it’s been taken care of. Which means they probably don’t HAVE to do much immediately. Which is much less stressful. I can easily fix the wall color, curtains, etc. I don’t want to deal with ceiling falling apart, rotten cabinets, or concrete steps in pieces. 

• Upvote 16
  • I Agree 7

I agree that Sarah probably did have a say in the house.

Maybe the house suddenly came on the market and they had a quick discussion about it and Kory decided to propose only after the realtor confirmed that the house was theirs.

• Upvote 4
  • Sad 1

I am team "She knew it was coming and was in on the gig".  The new house is bigger than the bachelor pad and I cannot complain about that being a starting point.  We are talking about 2 people who have lived single until their 40's- I highly doubt this was all surprising.  I hope this is a case of 2 people who had lots in common and hit it off right away.  My hope is that she was able to break free from restraints and found out who she really wanted to be and in Kory she felt companionship and connection ( and vice versa) and they together said Lets Do This!  Quick house sale/purchase, public engagement and marriage so sisters can be present.  I hope she has ALL the say in what gets done in that house and if she just wants to sweep the floors and occasionally swipe a cobweb away and NOT be on a schedule to control every hour then Go Sarah.  I hope that she finds solace and peace in her relationship, I hope she found a job that brings her joy and has the voice and power to say "I am tired so we are either going out to eat or you can grill something tonight"  I hope she never looses the natural smile that comes with joy and never feels the tense, anxious grin again. 

• Upvote 15
  • I Agree 1
  • Love 18

11 hours ago, Queen Of Hearts said:

I, apparently like many others, love looking at real estate listings.  What is picture number 10? Surely that isn’t the tub in the only bathroom?

• Upvote 2
  • Love 1

34 minutes ago, duggerme said:

I, apparently like many others, love looking at real estate listings.  What is picture number 10? Surely that isn’t the tub in the only bathroom?

I think it was.  The listing description said it was being sold as is and that there was an issue with the bathroom.

• Upvote 2

10 hours ago, Captain Obvious said:

Very bachelor. Much pad.

Also - he's a Starsky and Hutch fan? 

That was my reaction too!! Hahaha! Very bachelor-y!

Edited by BigSandy
  • Upvote 2

I get a very cozy vibe from the house because it makes me think of all the Oklahoma homes my cousins/aunts/uncles have lived in. I love wood paneling, and the older I get, the more I appreciate one level homes--they are much better for entertaining, too. A home this is comfortable and welcoming is more important to me that following all the latest home design trends like I'm a Zombie Bates gal. Also, I wasn't raised to be an insufferable snob. (sorry, not sorry) . I think with a bit of work this will be a lovely place and I admire people who live within their means.

And why do they need to "upgrade" in a few years--how many kids do we think they are going to have?

As for those calling for more landscaping--keep in mind that this is Central Oklahoma-- a water challenged place that will only get worse. It needs drought resistant plantings and xeriscaping.

• Upvote 16
  • I Agree 7
  • Love 1

14 hours ago, Bastet said:

Much of what we don’t like are not expensive to fix. I’d be satisfied with pulling down the curtains and popcorn ceiling and painting the walls before moving in, then doing the rest as the budget allows. I’m betting Sarah and Kory are looking forward to this. Are either of them handy? I wish I were. 

Sarah and her siblings did a lot of work helping a couple of her brothers fix up their new marital nests, so she does have some skills.

• Upvote 10
  • I Agree 2

17 hours ago, Maggie Mae said:

I get the impression that the previous people are still living there. A lot of real estate listings in my area show the insides of closets (because that's a big selling point) and things like the hot water heater, the boiler, the inside of the garage. I am imagining that they crammed most of their stuff into the closets and the garage. 

Better than when my mom sold her house! She left a photo up of me from high school and it's been in the listings for like 10 years now. 

You can request pictures be taken down on sold homes on zillow. 

• Upvote 2

Many people redo homes then move (upsize or even go to a similar sized one) in 2-5 years as a financial strategy.  At some point you’d find your long term house and quit moving, but I know several couples who enjoy the renovation process and work within the housing market ups/down times that have REALLY built up their retirement fund by upgrading/selling. I’m not a fan of moving a lot but am sure impressed at how it can improve one’s financial situation!

Yes, yard improvements don’t need to rely on lots of plants - I totally get xeriscaping (that’s my yard!) but there is lots of potential in making the 2 entry door areas and back porch MUCH more welcoming and functional spaces.

PS from the bath photos looked like the batchelor pad had some water issues in the tub area that would need to be addressed by the buyer which is probably why it sold at a lower than market price. 

Edited by Hellothere
  • Upvote 5

On 9/10/2022 at 11:00 AM, Howl said:

Is ABC creationist? I can't imagine Steve's background going for creationism, but ya never know. 

The Maxwells are creationists, apparently:

https://blog.titus2.com/2010/01/07/carlsbad-caverns/

We arrived at the park around 8 a.m., so the guys could see if they could get signed up for the tour (and  they were able to go!). It was a wonderful day at the Caverns.  Our Lord’s creation is amazing! Although we heard quite often “millions and millions of years ago,” we smiled between ourselves because we knew that wasn’t true.

• Upvote 5
  • Thank You 4

1 hour ago, HereticHick said:

I get a very cozy vibe from the house because it makes me think of all the Oklahoma homes my cousins/aunts/uncles have lived in. I love wood paneling, and the older I get, the more I appreciate one level homes--they are much better for entertaining, too. A home this is comfortable and welcoming is more important to me that following all the latest home design trends like I'm a Zombie Bates gal. Also, I wasn't raised to be an insufferable snob. (sorry, not sorry) . I think with a bit of work this will be a lovely place and I admire people who live within their means.

And why do they need to "upgrade" in a few years--how many kids do we think they are going to have?

As for those calling for more landscaping--keep in mind that this is Central Oklahoma-- a water challenged place that will only get worse. It needs drought resistant plantings and xeriscaping.

I agree. If they only have one kid because they are in their 40s, the house is big enough. Especially since it has a very big back yard. We live in a small home. I remember moving in 12 years ago and thinking it was a starter home and we would get a bigger home years down the road. Now I’m happy with the small home and I don’t want to move. We can deal with a small home. I just have to get rid of stuff we aren’t using. Clutter doesn’t work in a small home. We can make it work.

• Upvote 9
  • I Agree 1

18 hours ago, Maggie Mae said:

Ugh, that house needs SO much work. The inside is hideous. Starting with the kitchen and an unlimited budget, I'd take out all the cabinets, replace the oven (if you are going to do an oven like that, at least get a double). If we can't afford new cabinets, I'd at least paint the existing ones a lighter color and replace those ugly af handles. I would likely remove the cabinet between the sink and the oven, and make the window bigger. I'd remove that cheap and tacky Dixie cup dispenser, and get a new sink with two built in soap dispensers and a better faucet. I prefer the kind that you can also use as a hand held spray. 

Living Room is OK but I'd replace the front door and install blinds or at least something that is better. I might change the floor out for something lighter. Remove the ugly ceiling fan and popcorn.  Its kind of an awkward shaped room, so I'd likely put the TV in the corner between the windows and set it up the other way. 

Bathroom ... ugh. Remove the paneling, paint and scrape. It might need texture but that's too much. New shower. New counter. I like the mirror. I do not want an analog clock in my bathroom. 

Master bedroom - new fan, i'm not a fan (ha!) of the metal decorations or the lights. Remove the carpet and install heated floors in a light, neutral color. New doors. New paint. remove the popcorn ceiling. The Ensuite bathroom needs new floors, new counters, panels removed, new cabinets, paint, and a new shower. Probably install a heated towel rack as well, and new lights. New sink and a better mirror. I like that they have plenty of storage in both bathrooms and outlets! 

Guest room: lose the carpet, install blinds, replace fan and fix ceiling. replace the trim. 

Backyard: install privacy fence, expand garden area, build a deck and plant more trees. 

It needs a new front deck area, that cement monstrosity looks bad and dangerous.  Add front yard landscaping and more trees. 

I kind of like the barn/shed as is, but I'm sure I *Should* have it painted. 

Why is it so cheap? Even the property taxes are cheap. Is it a bad neighborhood? 

I've never lived in a place (as an adult, anyway) with that type of heating. I don't think I would like it. 

Wow, you didn't hold back, did you?  lol  I think the house is cute.  Just too much brown, and it doesn't take much to get rid of that.  Unless Sarah likes the color brown, then I say you do you, Sarah.  She has got a roof over her head, food on the table, a good looking and smart husband, and it looks like from her beaming pictures that they adore each other.  And she's far away from Mr Miserable Who Hates Everything.  She's blessed.  Enjoy your new husband and your new life Sarah!  

• Upvote 22
  • Bless Your Heart 1
  • I Agree 2

23 minutes ago, theologygeek said:

Wow, you didn't hold back, did you?  lol  I think the house is cute.  Just too much brown, and it doesn't take much to get rid of that.  Unless Sarah likes the color brown, then I say you do you, Sarah.  She has got a roof over her head, food on the table, a good looking and smart husband, and it looks like from her beaming pictures that they adore each other.  And she's far away from Mr Miserable Who Hates Everything.  She's blessed.  Enjoy your new husband and your new life Sarah!  

I don't think it's a bad house. I just love thinking about how I could improve it.  I do think it's very dated on the inside, and pretty ugly, but it's not falling apart. I have the same awkward shape living room now, with the door that goes directly outside instead of an arctic entry, and I wouldn't want that again. And I don't like the kitchen - it needs more light and the dark colors make it unwelcoming to me. But for the cost it's very nice, and easily fixable. I mean, changing out the ceiling fans - easy. New cabinets are expensive and impossible to find a contractor for, but painting and replacing handles is simple. The carpet I hate a lot, but I just hate carpet unless it's commercial carpet in a commercial building. 

I personally love light, airy homes with lots of windows and clean, "sterile" looking bathrooms over lots of dark wood. The outside of this house is fine, and I'm from an area with a ton of trees (I have like 16 trees in a much smaller yard) so I wouldn't be comfortable with the chain link fence, close neighbors, and no privacy trees/bushes/fence.  

I didn't realize that we don't talk about how we want to change houses to suit our own tastes anymore.  Or maybe I was too harsh. I guess I've been away from this site for a while. Sorry. 

• Upvote 6
  • Love 1

1 hour ago, Hellothere said:

Yes, yard improvements don’t need to rely on lots of plants - I totally get xeriscaping (that’s my yard!) but there is lots of potential in making the 2 entry door areas and back porch MUCH more welcoming and functional spaces.

With that big back yard (and with global warming in mind), I'd consider putting in a screened in porch if I could afford it. And yes, I would prefer more trees too, but I know that is difficult in a restricted water area. This is historically a prairie area, not a woodland.

I know some folks hate ceiling fans, but I don't know enough to talk about their environmental & budget pros and cons vs. running central air conditioning.  Can anyone weigh in on that?

11 minutes ago, HereticHick said:

I know some folks hate ceiling fans, but I don't know enough to talk about their environmental & budget pros and cons vs. running central air conditioning.  Can anyone weigh in on that?

In Oklahoma, you need both. A/C to cool the general temp, fans to move the cool air around.

• Upvote 8

The listing says the new house has central air so they are fine.  But even with air conditioning, ceiling fans are useful.
Those fans are really dated. Unless you want that old fashioned vibe, a big improvement would be changing them out for some with more modern design that don’t have the 4 glass lights hanging down.  

• Upvote 6

28 minutes ago, HereticHick said:

With that big back yard (and with global warming in mind), I'd consider putting in a screened in porch if I could afford it. And yes, I would prefer more trees too, but I know that is difficult in a restricted water area. This is historically a prairie area, not a woodland.

I like ceiling fans, but those particular ones are pretty bad. There are so many better choices, without the lights that hang down, and the weird metal work https://www.homedepot.com/b/Lighting-Ceiling-Fans/N-5yc1vZbvlq.  Plus swapping it out for one with an LED type light would probably save money on electricity, and be easier to keep clean. We know those Maxwell like to dust their ceiling fans. 

Hardly anyone has central air conditioning in my town. We are a city of baseboard heating/radiant heat panels, ceiling fans, and occasionally a swamp cooler for two weeks in the summer when Costco sells of of the window units AC. 

I wish I could talk about the pros/cons of AC vs not, but I don't live in a place that requires it. I know AC usually makes me feel kind of sick when I go to places like Florida, and I do prefer less fluctuation from the outside heat to the inside heat. 

• Upvote 3

• Coconut Flan locked this topic