IGNORED

Maxwell 55: Anna and Mary Adventures at ABC - Freedom!

Coconut Flan

In the 70s in my girls’ RC HS, the VP had smoking rounds to check the restrooms. Non-smokers (me) only used the RR if absolutely necessary. It was like a blue fog covered the entire room. I remember Mrs P. Would slam into the room and beat on each stall door, and girls would pull their feet up so she couldn’t see their shoes (for ID purposes). I’m not sure what the penalty was for smoking on campus. The only time I ever used the RR was when I was on my P.

• Sad 1

16 minutes ago, Caroline said:

When I started teaching in the 80's the STUDENTS had a designated smoking area outside - right underneath my classroom!  Yuck!

I wonder how it was in the 80s in my hometown high school. I was in elementary school in the 80s so I’m unsure of the rules for the high school then. When I started high school in 1996, there were very strict rules about students never smoking on school property. Some still tried. But usually got caught. I know my aunt said they could smoke on school property in the 70s. The 90s really cracked down on teens smoking. I do remember that. It was like suddenly people were freaking out about teens smoking. When it has always been going on. 

• Upvote 3

37 minutes ago, Caroline said:

When I started teaching in the 80's the STUDENTS had a designated smoking area outside - right underneath my classroom!  Yuck!

My high school put the student smoking area next to the cafeteria and everyone had to walk past it. I remember in college how the hallways would be thick with all the smokers sitting there waiting for class. The school had just banned smoking in the classroom. I had a night class that lasted three hours , and it was just too much for my chain-smoking professor. So he would stand in the doorway, lecturing and gesturing with his empty right hand in the classroom while his left hand with the cigarette stayed out in the hallway. He would lean his head into the hallway any time he wanted to take a puff. He made sure he followed the rules!

• Upvote 3
  • Haha 3

5 minutes ago, molecule said:

My high school put the student smoking area next to the cafeteria and everyone had to walk past it. I remember in college how the hallways would be thick with all the smokers sitting there waiting for class. The school had just banned smoking in the classroom. I had a night class that lasted three hours , and it was just too much for my chain-smoking professor. So he would stand in the doorway, lecturing and gesturing with his empty right hand in the classroom while his left hand with the cigarette stayed out in the hallway. He would lean his head into the hallway any time he wanted to take a puff. He made sure he followed the rules!

I had smoker teachers in college and they always made a smoke break in the middle of three hour classes. The teacher and students who smoked would just go out together and smoke outside. These were usually art classes. For some reason, there were a lot of smokers in the art classes. I was one of the few non smokers. 

• Upvote 3

I never smoked a day in my life. My grandmother smoked & her apartment wreaked of it. I started high school in 1994, students were still allowed to smoke in the bathrooms during lunch. Now smoking isn’t allowed anywhere on campus. I knew several people who smoked (they started in their teens) of those who started only 2 still do. 

• Upvote 5

40 minutes ago, JermajestyDuggar said:

I had smoker teachers in college and they always made a smoke break in the middle of three hour classes. The teacher and students who smoked would just go out together and smoke outside. These were usually art classes. For some reason, there were a lot of smokers in the art classes. I was one of the few non smokers. 

I studied at a French university in the late 70's.  I'll never forget going to my first lecture in a large lecture hall that had a huge sign on the back wall that said 'Défense de fumer' (No smoking.)  And everyone was smoking including the professor.  For non-smoker me that was a tough adjustment.  

I don't think any teenagers in my school smoke cigarettes (maybe a few do), but the vaping problem is huge. I don't know any adults who smoke anymore. 

• Upvote 7

50 minutes ago, Caroline said:

I studied at a French university in the late 70's.  I'll never forget going to my first lecture in a large lecture hall that had a huge sign on the back wall that said 'Défense de fumer' (No smoking.)  And everyone was smoking including the professor.  For non-smoker me that was a tough adjustment.  

I don't think any teenagers in my school smoke cigarettes (maybe a few do), but the vaping problem is huge. I don't know any adults who smoke anymore. 

I don’t worry about my boys smoking cigarette as teens. I worry about vaping. Ugh. When I was in high school I was friends with lots of smokers and people who rubbed snuff. My first boyfriend rubbed snuff and smoked. Both. But I always said I wouldn’t kiss him right afterward. I always had gum on me so he could chew it before I kissed him. I’ve always hated second hand smoke. Yet I was always friends with a lot of smokers. Thankfully most of them have quit by now.  Getting pregnant is usually a good push to quit.

• Upvote 5

I just wanted to pop in and comment on the backyard gathering photo and Chelsy's post.  

Skinny jeans, shorts, tank tops, boyfriends, and online dating (and of course girls attending college).  What I would give to hear the real story behind the Maxwell transformation.

Kory, at least in the photos, seems like a warm and friendly guy.  He has his arm on a one of the sister's shoulders (which given their no-touch, boy/girl rules surprised me), and is holding hands with at least one Maxwell nephew. 

• Upvote 15
  • I Agree 2
  • Love 2

At my high school in the 70s (and probably the 60s. before my time there), students were officially not allowed to smoke on campus. But out front, beyond the teacher parking lot, was a section of land scattered with trees and bushes that separated the campus from the Boulevard. Students who smoked would go out there on their lunch breaks and smoke between the trees and the Boulevard, sort of out of sight of the main office windows of the school. We called them the Tree People. My senior English class was upstairs in the main hall overlooking the Boulevard, and I remember amusing myself during boring moments by watching the smoke drift from behind tree trunks and bell-bottomed, fringe-vested students wandering out and back again a few minutes later. It was a groovy era, man. ☮️ And now I'm wondering how often someone smoked something out there besides Marlboro in a box... :obscene-smokingweed: LOL.

• Upvote 3

I graduated high school in the late 90s and while smoking wasn't allowed on campus there was a gate that was left open at the back of the school, between the main campus and the alternative high school campus where students would go smoke. Most teachers went to the staff parking lot though a few would smoke in the same area that the students did. 

• Upvote 1

I met my husband on a dating app in 2012, it was still a bit uncool then so he told people we met at a bar. 
Pretty much every friend of mine who has married since 2012 has met their husband online. But before then it was super rare (or did people just lie?) 

I was lucky enough to meet him after 3 weeks on the app and 10 different dates. He had been on it on and off for 12 months. 
Now married 9 years with 3 kids. All because of a dating app ;) 

• Love 13

My very devout Christian cousin met her husband on a Christian dating site almost twenty years, when such websites were very new.  Sarah's story reminds me a lot of hers.  She was waiting for God to bring along the right guy and her parents were praying fervently (it was a joke at the wedding the God would have more time since he would no longer have to listen to those prayers).  She joined a Christian matchmaking website just before her fortieth birthday (no idea which one) and less than a year later was married. Within three years she had two kids (and no more).  Those kids are not in high school and planning on attending a secular college.

While my cousin is still "fundie" by FJ's definition, she is open to conversation which I appreciate.  She will genuinely listen to your point of view and seems to be more comfortable with the notion of holding her views while not necessarily insisting the world also hold them (ie: abortion, LGBTQ+ rights etc). Her kids are even more liberal (while still being conservative Christian). So, maybe there is hope.

• Upvote 12
  • Love 1

My high school was built with three interior courtyards. One was the student smoking courtyard, one was the teacher courtyard, and the third was the playground for the on campus preschool. The smoking courtyards closed only a few years before I started school there in the early 90's. The preschool playground was open until the school was razed only 5 or 6 years ago.

• Upvote 2

My high school, in the late 70s, had what was called the “smoking lounge,” which was really an outdoor area off the cafeteria where students could smoke. The students had gotten in a few years before, after much protest. My militantly anti-smoking mother was horrified that students were allowed to smoke anywhere on campus, but at least some of the kids who smoked had been given permission by their parents (many of whom were smokers themselves).

Because the designated smoked area was outside, people still (illegally) smoked in the bathrooms whenever the weather was bad, so all of the bathrooms reeked of smoke and there were usually butts floating in each toilet. The school looked the other way unless the student was literally caught in the act. The teachers’  lounge also reeked of smoke. This was true at least through my student-teaching semester in the mid-80s. I didn’t need the no-smoking propaganda; I loathed the smell and never had the urge to start. 

• Upvote 1

Ah, memories of the late ‘60s. There was an outdoor smoking area at my high school for students, but certain restrooms were infamous illegal smoking lounges. The one next to the art rooms reeked, even when no one was smoking in it, so allergic me avoided it.

In the ‘70s, a friend of mine taught there, and his classroom was next to the smoking area. He told the principal that kids were smoking weed out there. The principal’s response: “How would you know what marijuana smells like?” (This to a guy who went to college in the ‘60s, when you could get a contact high just walking down a corridor in any dorm.)

When I was in college in the early ‘70s, they allowed smoking in the freaking classrooms. Ex-Mr.-Hane-#1 was *appalled* when our Romantic Lit professor made the smokers sit in the back row of her classroom. One day she asked him to sub for one of her classes (I don’t recall the circumstances), and he had all the smokers sit up front.

In the early ‘90s, our state banned indoor smoking on all college campuses. One day, I attended a play at one. In the lobby there were literally dozens of “No Smoking” signs hanging from the ceiling—and a woman stood smoking directly underneath them. I Karened up to her to point them out, and she said, “I didn’t think it meant *here*”—as in, directly under the freaking signs.

Edited by Hane
  • Haha 3

On 11/14/2022 at 8:59 PM, hoipolloi said:

ETA: *This* is quite interesting, from Chelseyʻs post:

1244777489_OnlineDatingadviceforSarahMaxwell.thumb.png.ced23cb31bf7e246773a1e2d798a60c1.png

Laura is from the family that sing and dance and pluck piano strings on stage together isn't she?  And Sarah went with John and Chelsy to see their show in the New Year? That's cool that she went home with plans for online dating!

I was the one who commented Teri didn't have a new outfit for her first daughter's wedding, and I agree it doesn't matter and she did look lovely.  And we have mostly only seen photos from outside the Maxwell family so far so we dont have the usual perspective.  But damn, Steve and Teri seem so uninvolved all round from what we have seen. Coffee and cake reception provided by church ladies? And dinner for out of town guests at Chelsy and John's? Maybe Chelsy is deliberately not posting many 'Mr Steve Maxwell Family' photos out of respect, but I hope they did show Sarah all the love she deserved for her big day.

It looks like Gigi is in the garden party photo, I would have loved to have seen a photo of her with the bride.

Not sure if this is already discussed elsewhere, but Chelsy looks full in the face and full high up in the belly. Please let it be from enjoying good times and good food and not another pregnancy.  But who knows?

• Upvote 10

OMG sorry to post again but the blog comments! Someone posted about a DEATH! In a couple they know who met online like Kory and Sarah.  OMG it's really sad but also how inappropriate! image.png.d10ec3e698a4a05caff2b07f665a582a.png

• WTF 7

52 minutes ago, ClareDeLune said:

OMG sorry to post again but the blog comments! Someone posted about a DEATH! In a couple they know who met online like Kory and Sarah.  OMG it's really sad but also how inappropriate! image.png.d10ec3e698a4a05caff2b07f665a582a.png

His Way Services is Rebecca K.

• Upvote 1
  • Thank You 3

On 11/16/2022 at 4:57 PM, Caroline said:

My high school yearbook was actually dedicated to the courtyard-AKA the smoking area.  This was in 1982.  The best was all the enlarged color pictures of all these kids hanging out and smoking.  If the parents didn't know before, they sure did now! 

Edited by HeartsAFundie
  • Haha 5

Right now, i Imagine Steve is saltier than Lot’s Wife was, at the end.  In any case, it was good to see many Maxes looking relaxed, and even Christopher was there, whether or not he had Ubiquitous Disapproving Face.   

• Upvote 1
  • Haha 11

I'm so glad most normal people don't smoke anymore. The 90s were a weird time when it seemed like smoking was still kind of cool but also really bad for you. Now I'm militant about not being around it and asking for it to be banned once and for all. I'd much rather deal with vape smell over cigarette smell. 

• Upvote 2
  • Eyeroll 1

Rebecca K and Chelsy are longtime friends. TBH I’m glad that she feels okay asking for support. (And thanks to whomever posted it!)

I don’t think that Christopher or Anna Marie are disapproving of much going on. I admit having a soft spot for him, in that the man ALSO rode Uriah as a full ass grown adult. Nathan was married before Steve went off the deep end, and I am so happy that, somehow, he managed to find via the junket a wife. And I do have a soft spot for Anna Marie. She seems absolutely at peace/living her best life. She has always been kind and supportive to everyone. We know that the Nathan and Melanie crew have been attending church for a long time, but now that the nursing home church closed and it’s safe for Anna Marie to do so, she’s volunteering in the church nursery. She showed up hosting, sewing, baking, being a kind SIL. 

• Upvote 10
  • Love 1

I was in high school in the late 80s, early 90s. I don't remember much smoking going on in the restrooms which was good because the whole place would have exploded from the amount of aquanet being sprayed in there. 

16 hours ago, HeartsAFundie said:

My high school yearbook was actually dedicated to the courtyard-AKA the smoking area.  This was in 1982.  The best was all the enlarged color pictures of all these kids hanging out and smoking.  If the parents didn't know before, they sure did now! 

My boss went to Woodstock, as did a few of his friends. One went without his parents knowledge or permission, IDK where they thought he was, but NOT there. Until he appeared, naked, jumping into the lake in a spread in a major magazine article about Woodstock...

• Haha 15

21 hours ago, MamaJunebug said:

Right now, i Imagine Steve is saltier than Lot’s Wife was, at the end.  In any case, it was good to see many Maxes looking relaxed, and even Christopher was there, whether or not he had Ubiquitous Disapproving Face.   

Sarah looked radiant and happy and that's all that really matters, but they had better hospitality for his birthday party than for Sarah's wedding, and I can't seem to get over that.

It's lovely that Chelsy stepped up (and by extension John) but Sarah did so much for the whole family for 40 years and she got a few cakes and cookies at her reception, from the church ladies. I want to go back in time and take Steve's hot food counter away from his birthday party. 🤣

https://blog.titus2.com/2021/08/07/happy-70th-steve/

• Upvote 4
  • Haha 4
  • I Agree 5

• Coconut Flan locked this topic