IGNORED

Maxwell 55: Anna and Mary Adventures at ABC - Freedom!

Coconut Flan

Wychling and I are doing “trunk or treat” this year at the local school.  Hope it isn’t too cold!

Off on a somewhat related tangent here-can anyone recommend someday brands of really good baking chocolate?  I’ve got some Valhrona milk chocolate and need some semisweet.

• Upvote 1

I think kids here tend to do the mall trick or treat, and some trunk or treats but they also get driven to my old neighborhood and a couple of other specific neighborhoods. I actually don't know if we'll have very many this year. We used to have the next door neighbors (but they divorced, sold the house, and moved), and a couple of houses down the street have big families but I know at least one of them moved out and the house is empty. The houses around the corner are all older kids and anyone new to the neighborhood/street seems to be either older or pre-kids. :( Not even seeing decorations like we used to. 

I think the overall demographic of this town is changing as well. They are saying that birth rates have fallen, that the average age has risen, and it's been suggested to close 6 elementary schools next year. We've been in a recession since 2015 and are rapidly losing population yet housing costs are still going up. 

• Upvote 1
  • Sad 4

Where I live their is a set of streets where a ton of kids go trick or treating. They also added houses which leads into another set of streets where they get a ton of kids. In 2018 their was a bus load of kids from a not so nice part of the state that came. The people on the street were pissed!!  The neighbors planned for about 100 local kids & ended up with almost twice as many kids a few of them tried getting into some of the houses. In 2019 they had police patrolling the area. 

• Sad 3
  • WTF 1

4 minutes ago, Jana814 said:

Where I live their is a set of streets where a ton of kids go trick or treating. They also added houses which leads into another set of streets where they get a ton of kids. In 2018 their was a bus load of kids from a not so nice part of the state that came. The people on the street were pissed!!  The neighbors planned for about 100 local kids & ended up with almost twice as many kids a few of them tried getting into some of the houses. In 2019 they had police patrolling the area. 

We get lots of kids from the poorer neighborhood driven into our neighborhood. It’s a middle class neighborhood with houses close together. So you can hit a lot of houses in a short time. I know some people complain but it doesn’t really bother me because poor kids deserve candy just as much as the middle class and rich kids. When people run out of candy, they just turn off the lights and go inside. 

• Upvote 11
  • Love 6

Last year at the run, Mary and Sam ran together and ended up with the same time. They didn’t place and were pretty slow. While Anna was faster last year. This year Sam was nowhere to be seen in the run and Mary looked like she was running really fast and trying to get a good run time. She placed with some sort of medal. However now it looks like Anna wasn’t running hard and just walking with the guy she’s been pictured with before. 

7F012B08-FB8D-4659-B70E-4D1F1163F0A6.jpeg

• Upvote 8
  • Thank You 5

1 hour ago, Sops2 said:

I think Anna is a representative on the student body, Alex is President.

Perhaps they're talking "business"!!

That’s possible. They never looked like a couple. Like standing close or looking longingly in one another’s eyes. It might be good for her to have a close friend she isn’t dating. I’m sure Steve disapproves of such a thing. 

• Upvote 8

We have seen them in a group before- this is from nearly a year ago- a friend Caleb with his girlfriend, and Sam and Mary. Even if there is no spark of romantic interest, I agree it would be really good for her to have a close male friend.

Spoiler

20221023_132052.jpg

Edited by Sops2
  • Upvote 5
  • I Agree 1
  • Thank You 1

As I said a year ago, I am SO excited that the girls get to make male friends who are not their brothers.

Having male friends will expose them to different perspectives; it's healthy and good for them. Plus, to exist in the world you need to be able to interface with people who are all different genders, on a casual basis but also building ongoing relationships (for example, with colleagues). Being comfortable around men who aren't family is a super valuable skill: it sounds so basic, it's something we learn in school, but fundie attitudes can make it impossible. We're seeing with Tim Rodrigues now that he can't cope with women due to his neuroses -- inculcated by his bringing-up -- and it's really dragging him down.

And if the friendship does turn into a relationship -- as Mary seems to have done with Sam -- then the relationship itself is deeper and more multi-faceted. Or if Anna meets a different man, she knows that men are not some alien species and she can build that deeper relationship.

• Upvote 16
  • I Agree 7

I was kind of surprised not to see Mary and Samuel together in any pictures yet this year, but I did notice one thing.  If you look at the picture of Mary running with another girl, there  are a few "likes" on the picture.  Mr. Samuel Hock "loved" the picture.  

• Upvote 10

14 hours ago, Fun-Dee said:

I was kind of surprised not to see Mary and Samuel together in any pictures yet this year, but I did notice one thing.  If you look at the picture of Mary running with another girl, there  are a few "likes" on the picture.  Mr. Samuel Hock "loved" the picture.  

I’m guessing Mary is more of a runner than Sam. I’m betting last year she walked with him when she could have run. This year it looks like she really tried. Maybe Sam realized he was holding her back. 

• Upvote 8

On 10/23/2022 at 11:46 PM, Fun-Dee said:

Ah, so he commented on the photo!  Haven't seen or heard about him this semester, so was wondering if he extended his stay on the Africa mission, things had cooled off with him and Mary, or if he is more interested in a Latin woman back home in Uruguay.  If he is a senior and graduating in the Spring, his time at ABC is coming to a close.

• Upvote 5

They might be doing that thing where they cool off the relationship to devote themselves to God, and tell everyone they are not even that keen on each other, so they can have a BUT GOD HAD OTHER PLANS reveal on their wedding website later on.

• Upvote 4
  • Rufus Bless 3
  • Haha 5
  • I Agree 1

They might also just be randomly not together when ABC cameramen are around and for whatever reason one of them had to miss the few events we hear about. We could most definitely be reading too much into this...but alas... with the blog shut down we have to overly read into every little thing because its all we have. 

• Upvote 7
  • Haha 1
  • I Agree 2

I’m watching Jane Eyre and it’s striking how much St. John Rivers reminds me Of Steve Maxwell. He’s ardently in love with Rosamund but he won’t allow himself to have her. He’s obsessed with being a missionary and wants a practical wife, not a wife he’s passionate about. 

• Upvote 4
  • Sad 1
  • Love 3

18 minutes ago, JermajestyDuggar said:

I’m watching Jane Eyre and it’s striking how much St. John Rivers reminds me Of Steve Maxwell. He’s ardently in love with Rosamund but he won’t allow himself to have her. He’s obsessed with being a missionary and wants a practical wife, not a wife he’s passionate about. 

When you look up the word scrupulosity in the dictionary, there is a picture of Steve Maxwell as the definition. Unfortunately that behavior interferes with true faith-

• Upvote 8
  • I Agree 1

1 hour ago, JermajestyDuggar said:

Ooh, which version? I'm partial to the 2006 Toby Stephens/Ruth Wilson one, but the 2011 Michael Fassbender/Mia Wasikowska is pretty good, too, and I've come across it several times in the last month or two when channel-surfing.

And yes, Steve Maxwell is a dead ringer for St John. Too bad his daughters have probably never read the book, they might have recognised some of his traits.

• Upvote 5

16 minutes ago, Loveday said:

Ooh, which version? I'm partial to the 2006 Toby Stephens/Ruth Wilson one, but the 2011 Michael Fassbender/Mia Wasikowska is pretty good, too, and I've come across it several times in the last month or two when channel-surfing.

And yes, Steve Maxwell is a dead ringer for St John. Too bad his daughters have probably never read the book, they might have recognised some of his traits.

2006 one is my favorite. Although I’ve seen quite a few versions. There was a 90s version I saw and wasn’t impressed. I liked Samantha Morton as Jane ok but I’m not a fan of Ciaran Hinds as Rochester. Too harsh. 

Edited by JermajestyDuggar
  • Upvote 3

6 minutes ago, JermajestyDuggar said:

2006 one is my favorite. Although I’ve seen quite a few versions. There was a 90s version I saw and wasn’t impressed. I liked Samantha Morton as Jane ok but I’m not a fan of Ciaran Hinds as Rochester. Too harsh. 

Loved Samantha Morton as Jane, but I like her in just about anything I've ever seen of hers. I like Ciaran Hinds--he was awesome as Captain Wentworth in Persuasion!--but yeah, not so much as Rochester.

• Upvote 1
  • I Agree 1

On 10/22/2022 at 5:04 AM, Granwych said:

Wychling and I are doing “trunk or treat” this year at the local school.  Hope it isn’t too cold!

Last weekend I took the cult-lets to Boo at the Zoo. Man, that was so cool to trick or treat in front of a live tiger who gets nothing while we get candy and new toothbrushes! We saw a lot of great costumes, too. Now they have costume envy but are stuck with what they got.

• Upvote 2
  • Love 1

3 hours ago, SPHASH said:

Sarah's bio still not updated on the Tits2 page

Screenshot_20221027-173942_Chrome.jpg

The blog is dead. They won’t update it ever again.

• Upvote 4
  • I Agree 7

40 minutes ago, sleepygirl1 said:

The blog is dead. They won’t update it ever again.

I like to think that Sarah changed all the passwords before she left and didn't tell anyone.

• Haha 39

• Coconut Flan locked this topic