IGNORED

Maxwell 55: Anna and Mary Adventures at ABC - Freedom!

Coconut Flan

6 hours ago, quiversR4hunting said:

Same! I run and I don't like the ride up. I have a pair of bike type shorts the length of ABC and that allows for a side pocket for my phone and key and all no thigh rub (and I am not big, I'm a size 6 or 8). 

I have a pair of 6 inch lululemons that I love. I used to swear by the 3-4 inch running shorts when it was hot out, but lately they are just too short and cause chub rub and pain. I've never been able to get the hang of trusting my phone in those side pockets. 

6 hours ago, quiversR4hunting said:

I would love it if our district had those like the ones at ABC. It has nothing to do with modesty, it has to do with the picking the shorts out of their cracks all the time. The girls adjust their shorts ALL.THE.TIME. And it doesn't matter if the girl is big, small, short or tall or any combo. I think the slightly longer ones would be less adjustment.

I remember playing vollyball in jr high in basketball shorts, because that's what was popular at the time. I hated all the extra fabric, and on top of it, they don't wick sweat away because they aren't fitted next to skin. I'm so glad girls today have so many more options for athletic apparel. No more regular bras under a sports bra, or two sports bras because neither really works! No more gear that was just shrunk down from the men's version and painted pink! We women have specific needs in our athletics and deserve to have stuff made for us. 

A few years ago there was a huge bruhaha here about the swim team and their "immodest" uniforms going up their butt. Shockingly, despite the fact that all the girls suits were riding up the butt if the girls didn't specifically arrange them that way  (which some did), the girls who got in trouble were the ones who just so happened to have larger bodies and darker skin. People are so weird about sexualizing teen athletes. 

• Upvote 8

4 minutes ago, Queen Of Hearts said:

I am actually shocked they would list single parenthood as acceptable. 

That way the girl can be shamed and feel guilty about her sin and the shame she brought on her family for the rest of her life. Plus everyone will know and gossip about her and her (lowers voice) "illegitimate baby".

The involved penis holder will, of course, face zero repercussions. Boys will be boys and if she has premarital sex that makes her a slut.

The Scarlet Letter may be a 19th century novel, but it's real life in the 21st century fundie world.

• Upvote 18
  • Sad 1

7 hours ago, quiversR4hunting said:

That is great to hear! My daughter's school has the shorty short ones. A couple of them end up being like spanks (anyone remember cheerleading spanks?). 

image.png.8dcff981493afd0fd2940cfee1e1d841.png

They weren't just for cheerleading. We wore them in one of the school colors under our tennis skirts as well, or something very similar.

3 hours ago, hoipolloi said:

Totally agree. Mean while the penis-holder who was presumably involved and 50% responsible is not mentioned. 

Well, you know it's because of those Jezebels that tempted those poor innocent men and decided to get themselves pregnant. They must have been eye traps because we know if men get even a glimpse of ankle, calf, or collarbones, well they just can't control themselves.

• Upvote 9
  • Haha 2

The mother of one of my friends became a doctor in the 1960's. The policy at her school back then was: if you are pregnant you are out. Anyway, the mother of my friend became pregnant in the final year of her residency. She was just 6 months from being allowed to sit for her board exams and was not all willing to quit. So, she lied. She wore a lot of baggy things and when someone questioned her she'd say she was just getting fat from all the stress eating. When she gave birth right after she passed her boards, her department tried to find some way to retroactively kick her out but it was too late, she was able to get licensed. My friend says her mother told her it was a stressful and unpleasant time for her because there would be times she was exhausted or nauseous but she could say nothing and there was no celebrating  or support for the duration of her pregnancy. 

I can never understand why fundies voluntarily choose to go back to restrictive rules like this. It is this question that led me into fundie land and while I now have theories and ideas about this - I still don't get it.

• Upvote 13
  • Sad 4
  • I Agree 4

4 hours ago, Queen Of Hearts said:

I am actually shocked they would list single parenthood as acceptable.  

If they don't allow single motherhood, then that gives the woman a reason to abort.  They probably will encourage her to leave, but they can't officially kick her out since that is not pro-life. 

• Upvote 12

9 hours ago, Bluebirdbluebell said:

If they don't allow single motherhood, then that gives the woman a reason to abort.  They probably will encourage her to leave, but they can't officially kick her out since that is not pro-life. 

They can absolutely kick her out. These people are not consistent or “pro-life.” They are pro-oppression of women. 

• Upvote 14
  • I Agree 5

On 9/26/2022 at 12:29 PM, quiversR4hunting said:

That is great to hear! My daughter's school has the shorty short ones. A couple of them end up being like spanks (anyone remember cheerleading spanks?). 

Unpopular opinion: why do girls' volleyball teams always have to wear skintight (and usually also painfully short) shorts? All the schools near me have adopted the spandex booty shorts for the girls' volleyball teams. Admittedly I'm more modest than most, but being required to run around on a court basically in my underpants would be a dealbreaker for me as far as playing that sport. The girls on the local teams like to yell a lot about "body positivity" and "confidence" and "it's unsafe to wear longer shorts, they get in our way" but I can't accept that as an argument when the boys' volleyball teams are all wearing full-cut athletic shorts in at least mid-thigh length. Not saying they need to go full Crown College with culottes, but for crying out loud, why do they make the girls wear shorts so short and tight?

• Upvote 10
  • I Agree 16
  • Love 4

On 9/26/2022 at 5:58 PM, Red Hair, Black Dress said:

That way the girl can be shamed and feel guilty about her sin and the shame she brought on her family for the rest of her life. Plus everyone will know and gossip about her and her (lowers voice) "illegitimate baby".

The involved penis holder will, of course, face zero repercussions. Boys will be boys and if she has premarital sex that makes her a slut.

The Scarlet Letter may be a 19th century novel, but it's real life in the 21st century fundie world.

However, I wouldn’t be surprised if the school harassed the girl into revealing the name of the prospective baby daddy and, along with the parents, forcing a shotgun wedding. After all, a miserable marriage is better than single motherhood. And then they would shame the girl and kick her out of school (the boy, of course, would Be allowed to get his degree). 

• Upvote 10

29 minutes ago, Bethy said:

Unpopular opinion: why do girls' volleyball teams always have to wear skintight (and usually also painfully short) shorts? All the schools near me have adopted the spandex booty shorts for the girls' volleyball teams. Admittedly I'm more modest than most, but being required to run around on a court basically in my underpants would be a dealbreaker for me as far as playing that sport. The girls on the local teams like to yell a lot about "body positivity" and "confidence" and "it's unsafe to wear longer shorts, they get in our way" but I can't accept that as an argument when the boys' volleyball teams are all wearing full-cut athletic shorts in at least mid-thigh length. Not saying they need to go full Crown College with culottes, but for crying out loud, why do they make the girls wear shorts so short and tight?

I honestly don’t know. When I was in high school in the late 90s, the volleyball team wore biker shorts that went down to mid thigh. They always worked out fine. 

• Upvote 4

On 9/26/2022 at 3:51 PM, Audrey2 said:

They weren't just for cheerleading. We wore them in one of the school colors under our tennis skirts as well, or something very similar.

The tennis ones had a special elastic pocket to put a ball. Mine were double layered as well. My cheerleading uniform were basically underwear in the same color as the skirt. 

2 hours ago, Bethy said:

I prefer short and tight because they help wick sweat away from my skin. Baggy shorts aren't very comfortable, because my thighs touch and having fabric between my thighs makes it easier to move, vs baggy shorts that move around and get caught on things/my own body, and they don't even help get the sweat off my skin. 

Even my male partner has special tight boxers built into his running shorts to help deal with chaffing or chafing (I don't know which spelling is when skin rubs together and blisters, and which is a warming dish at a buffet), because even though he does have a thigh gap, sometimes it rains or his stride changes or he gets tired or gains weight. 

• Upvote 1

On 9/26/2022 at 1:51 PM, Red Hair, Black Dress said:

BEC here, but I wonder how many Crown College women get abortions on the very very very QT. Somewhere where no one will find out. 

I don’t consider this BEC. It definitely happens. And sometimes it's the parents - people like JRod - encouraging it. Because the only moral abortion is their abortion. 

• Upvote 11
  • Bless Your Heart 1

13 hours ago, JermajestyDuggar said:

I honestly don’t know. When I was in high school in the late 90s, the volleyball team wore biker shorts that went down to mid thigh. They always worked out fine. 

I played volleyball in the late 80s and we wore shorts that would be like soccer shorts today. Something like this not super loose but not tight or short like running shorts of the time: image.png.97cbd780744c7e94e216a247022e4b1a.png

I think I would have preferred the bike shorts but these worked fine too. I also wore jeans in the early 80s playing little league softball so sports clothes were really not a thing back then. I hope at some point it becomes a point where the players wear what they are comfortable in regards to length and fit instead of feeling like they are odd if they wear longer bike type shorts (obviously would need to be uniform color). Team peer pressure is real! 

• Upvote 3

3 hours ago, quiversR4hunting said:

I hope at some point it becomes a point where the players wear what they are comfortable in regards to length and fit instead of feeling like they are odd if they wear longer bike type shorts (obviously would need to be uniform color). Team peer pressure is real! 

My freshman year of Tennis (I think I was JV? I know I played doubles at the time) we were given a sheet to fill out of which uniform pieces we wanted (it wasn't a super well funded sport) and we could pick and choose which shirts we wanted - sweatshirt vs sweater, jacket, etc. It was all branded but it was really nice to have our own options for warm-ups and competition wear, especially since everyone has different levels of comfort when it comes to the changing weather outdoors and exertion. The next year they switched companies and we all got dresses and matching jackets. It seems like it would be possible to do that for most sports. Sports wear has so much technology built in now, though. Certain shoes are banned from races, speed suits are prohibited from swim meets at certain levels, etc. 

As for beach volleyball, I can see why players would choose the two piece over the one piece (sand) but they should allow shorts and a tank top or sleeved top in specific fabrics. Sun is still a concern for people and the bikini tops would be really uncomfortable for me. I'd probably choose a more sportsbra style vs the string bikini, just because they have more support and look better, IMO. 

• Upvote 2

On 9/26/2022 at 4:51 PM, Red Hair, Black Dress said:

BEC here, but I wonder how many Crown College women get abortions on the very very very QT. Somewhere where no one will find out. 

It can be done, I knew several in college who had abortions and no one ever found out.  I was the non-fundie, no judgement friend/ acquaintance who helped make the appointments/ travel arrangements

To this day I think I'm the only person who knew they were pregnant, much less had an abortion. Not even the involved penis holder knew.   

I went to a state university, but in the south, with more than our fair share of good sweet fundie Christian girls. All of whom were virgins saving themselves for marriage.  :GPn0zNK:

So it would be difficult at many of these schools to pull that off.  Just assuming that the state they live in has zero restrictions and plenty of clinics, you couldn’t go to one in town.  The risk of being recognized by protesters could be high.  Since they attend church in town it’s not just the school.  So she would have to travel.   Most of these schools also have a rule that if know of a rule being broken and don’t report it the punishment will be the same.  So it is very very hard to trust people at these schools

Terminating when they are home on break would be the easiest to be honest.

I cannot tell you the dramatics I did to watch R rated movies at the the theater in Lynchburg when I was at LU to not get caught.  I barely trusted friends with that info.

• Upvote 5
  • Sad 7
  • WTF 1

46 minutes ago, treemom said:

So it would be difficult at many of these schools to pull that off.  Just assuming that the state they live in has zero restrictions and plenty of clinics, you couldn’t go to one in town.  The risk of being recognized by protesters could be high.  Since they attend church in town it’s not just the school.  So she would have to travel.   Most of these schools also have a rule that if know of a rule being broken and don’t report it the punishment will be the same.  So it is very very hard to trust people at these schools

Terminating when they are home on break would be the easiest to be honest.

I cannot tell you the dramatics I did to watch R rated movies at the the theater in Lynchburg when I was at LU to not get caught.  I barely trusted friends with that info.

That’s so sad. When I was in college, I could always trust my close friends. And they could trust me. Hell I can’t count the amount of times I or my friends stayed sober to see our drunk friends home safe and kept them away from sleazy guys hitting on them when they were super drunk. 

Edited by JermajestyDuggar
  • Upvote 8

I was an exhibition tennis player for my high school in the late '80s. If I remember correctly the varsity team got two short sleeve collared polo shirts that were new at the time and really looked nice. The JVs all got older stained white polo shirts with our high school tennis on it. I don't remember my school providing skirts at all. My senior year my parents bought a skirt for me from the local sporting goods store along with the Spanx types things to go over them. Unfortunately mine did not have a pocket for balls and I was kind of jealous of girls on teams we played against who had one. Usually I would just tuck the extra ball up in the inside of the poofy oversized briefs. My senior year we each bought new t-shirts with a cross racket logo and our names on the back, and the high school provided all girls tennis players really nice sweatshirts. Unfortunately those didn't come until a little more than halfway through the season.

At some point since then I think the uniforms have gotten nicer for my high school but I know at least for a while all high school sports were paid to play, at least $50. When I played all you need to do was show up and get your sports physical. I'm guessing this could be a big reason why, for lack of funding, those players on the JV squad and those players who weren't top 7 on JV did not have very nice uniforms.

Edited by Audrey2
  • Upvote 2

On 9/26/2022 at 4:51 PM, Audrey2 said:

I went to a Catholic high school. We regularly wore them under our uniform skirts. That wool is so itchy!

On 9/27/2022 at 5:26 PM, Bethy said:

Unpopular opinion: why do girls' volleyball teams always have to wear skintight (and usually also painfully short) shorts? All the schools near me have adopted the spandex booty shorts for the girls' volleyball teams.

Personally, I find there to be a lot less chafing when running around in something spandex in fitted than in something baggy. Any time you are leaving gaps like soccer shorts, you get more chafing. I’m overweight and I run, but I honestly don’t care what people think of me running in leggings. Not having to deal with chafing all over my things for days after is way more important. In volleyball, the girls are running and sliding around. The baggy shorts get bunchy and don’t wick sweat away well. It’s probably more practical to wear tight ones. 

• Upvote 4

6 hours ago, KnittingOwl said:

I went to a Catholic high school. We regularly wore them under our uniform skirts. That wool is so itchy!

Personally, I find there to be a lot less chafing when running around in something spandex in fitted than in something baggy. Any time you are leaving gaps like soccer shorts, you get more chafing. I’m overweight and I run, but I honestly don’t care what people think of me running in leggings. Not having to deal with chafing all over my things for days after is way more important. In volleyball, the girls are running and sliding around. The baggy shorts get bunchy and don’t wick sweat away well. It’s probably more practical to wear tight ones. 

I like my biker shorts for chafing. It helps so much. I wear them all the time when I’m going to be doing a lot of walking. 

• Upvote 3

18 hours ago, KnittingOwl said:

I get that. I always wear compression shorts that go to mid-thigh (under regular shorts, cuz I feel too exposed with just the spandex) to prevent chafe because standard athletic shorts don't do the job. I'm more talking about the ones that don't really have legs, so basically it looks like the girls are in their underwear (with really tight shirts, too, while the boys get to wear regular shirts and regular shorts.) 

Someone upthread pointed out that there's a lot of peer pressure within teams and I'm sure that's a factor. Like, the coach is probably saying "you can have shorts within this range of length" and the majority decide the shortest is what they're doing and everyone follows suit for fear of looking "weird."

• Upvote 1

8 hours ago, Bethy said:

I'm more talking about the ones that don't really have legs, so basically it looks like the girls are in their underwear (with really tight shirts, too, while the boys get to wear regular shirts and regular shorts.) 

Lol…check out rugby shorts some time. One of the few times girls had the advantage! We wore the same 5” inseam shorts a lot of guys teams wear. Although I think there are longer inseams now, some teams still wear the shorty shorts. Kind of scandalous. 

• Upvote 1

No matter what uniforms girls at their college wear I am just so happy that Anna and Mary get to be in an environment where girls can play sports at all. And actually, boys too. Nathan and Chris were pulled out of sports as kids. 

• Upvote 21

On 9/24/2022 at 10:05 AM, Foursquare said:

The government included cigarettes in military c rations until 1975.

Anybody besides me remember Ed Sullivan smoking during his TV show? 

I joined the Air Force at age 19, in 1979.

In Basic Training, several times a day, all 50 of us women had to stand in formation (not moving or talking) and the smokers were told to Fall Out.  Those few girls got to go several yards away from us and smoke and talk!

By the end of the 6 weeks of training, there were only a few of us left in the non-smoking formation!

Also, in 1985 I began working in a large hospital.  Each floor had a Day Room, basically a lounge, where anyone could smoke.  Also, any manager could smoke in their private offices.

I definitely remember smoking allowed on airplanes and it was awful.

• Upvote 8
  • Sad 2
  • WTF 1

• Coconut Flan locked this topic