IGNORED

LGBTQ Iowans Are Leaving Iowa

47of74

I'm not the only lifelong who decided to depart after the GQP got to work turning Iowa into a Branch Trumpvidian shit hole

After seven years in Storm Lake High School, the tenure of two symbolic flags came to an end in May as language arts teacher Charlie Carter packed up the last of his belongings.

After the last bell had rung, the lifelong Iowan acknowledged how he felt as he prepared to leave his job and the state — tired. Alongside burnout as a teacher, the political climate of Iowa was one of the biggest reasons he decided to leave the state this year with his husband.

Rachel Dreier, a transgender electrician from Ankeny, made plans to leave in July after 40 years in Iowa — her entire life. As with the Carters, her family chose Washington state.

After socially transitioning to live as a woman over the past five years, she fully came out as transgender earlier this year. She immediately quit her union job because of the “abhorrent” environment in her field, where she said transphobia is inescapable.

I'm not LGBTQ but I left because the state was turning into such a GQP shithole that I no longer recognized it.  I might not have if I had known further health issues were coming but at least I got to a better place.  (It's not the warzone right wing douche cannons want you to believe either).

• Upvote 2

It’s interesting that these Iowans are moving to Washington state.  It’s not totally an oasis here, but welcome!  We’ve recently added another Pride windsock, and our neighbors painted their house purple.  On the flip side, our previous neighbors were white supremicists.  🤷‍♀️  They’ve moved on to redder pastures, thank goodness, and now we currently have more tolerant folks surrounding us on all sides. 

• Upvote 2

Just now, CTRLZero said:

It’s interesting that these Iowans are moving to Washington state.  It’s not totally an oasis here, but welcome!  We’ve recently added another Pride windsock, and our neighbors painted their house purple.  On the flip side, our previous neighbors were white supremicists.  🤷‍♀️  They’ve moved on to redder pastures, thank goodness, and now we currently have more tolerant folks surrounding us on all sides. 

And actually the Pacific NW was high on the list of places I wanted to move to after law school. 

I just wrote back the author of the article said said that while I identified as straight I got the hell out of Branch Trumpvidian land.  Didn't call it that of course and managed to keep from flooding the mail with obscenities. 

• Upvote 2

I totally get it. Do what you gotta do to be happy and feel accepted. I’m a privileged white cis straight married woman. My state showed its ass by voting for trump. Sure there are still plenty that voted against him. But I’m completely disgusted by so many in my state. But I’m staying and I’ll happily tell all my fellow straight cis white folks that voted for trump where they can shove it. I have to stay and vote against trump candidates along with my husband in every election. But if they were actively shifting on me for being trans or gay, yes I would probably leave too. 

• Upvote 2