IGNORED

Coronavirus 8: One Million Dead in 2022 and We're Only in August

Coconut Flan

13 hours ago, Coconut Flan said:

This is the doctor whose guidance I usually follow.  He's in the older group and somewhat less at risk than I am.  It isn't the view of everyone for sure, but for people over 65 he makes sense to me.  

https://www.sfchronicle.com/health/article/UCSF-s-Bob-Wachter-is-still-doing-all-he-can-to-17430688.php

That seems pretty reasonable to me. Virologist Isabella Eckerle, Professor at the Geneva Centre of Emerging Diseases has a similar opinion and she hasn’t gotten Covid yet. She’s younger than Bob Wachter.

• Upvote 3

Everyone in my family is sick right now. Two got positive home test results.  I did a negative home test but got the fever, headache, cough, muscle soreness so I am guessing it was a false negative. But so far it's not too bad,  the previous non-Covid manflu we had in August felt worse.  

• Love 8

Ah yes… heard there was a ‘back to school cold’ going around the schools… turns out it was Covid and me and my two sons have it 😭 first time for us. Kids have no symptoms. I’m very much not feeling well. Any tips would be welcome. No decongestants are helping. I am quadruple vaxxed… and yet here we are. I’m not so sick as to think I need a doctor but I just feel generally miserable!

thanks arseholes who aren’t testing and following protocols!… they just give their kids motrin and send them and say that it’s a cold. 😭

• Upvote 2
  • Love 9

36 minutes ago, EyesOpen said:

Ah yes… heard there was a ‘back to school cold’ going around the schools… turns out it was Covid and me and my two sons have it 😭 first time for us. Kids have no symptoms. I’m very much not feeling well. Any tips would be welcome. No decongestants are helping. I am quadruple vaxxed… and yet here we are. I’m not so sick as to think I need a doctor but I just feel generally miserable!

thanks arseholes who aren’t testing and following protocols!… they just give their kids motrin and send them and say that it’s a cold. 😭

I had the same problem, except my kids weren't asymptomatic. One had nausea with vomiting the first day, plus a fever for 3 days and lethargy and general lack of appetite for a week. My other one had upper respiratory symptoms plus fever and lethargy for about 4 days, then had diarrhea for a day. I had 12 days of serious upper respiratory symptoms, (cough, runny nose, heavy mucous) along with body aches, headaches, and a fever, and I am still dealing with a lingering cough, fatigue, and upper back/rib pain. Some nights I woke up feeling like I was drowning due to the mucus.

Things that helped: horehound and licorice worked better than decongestants for me, along with lemon tea heavily dosed with honey. (These things have helped with coughs, mucus, and sore throats). Stay hydrated - drink tons of anything that sounds good. I also found ibuprofen worked better for me than Tylenol, since it helped with muscle pain and fever. Lie on your stomach (or as flat as you can) to sleep. This definitely helped with the nighttime mucus and drowning feeling. I also have a sock filled with white rice that I would heat in the microwave and use for back/rib pain. Good luck!

• Love 8

Our best friend (age 67) and our son-in-law (age 43) both had Covid in roughly the same time period, though they are on separate coasts.  Both are currently recovering, but still tired.  It looks like a two-week onset to beginning recovery, at least in their cases, even with vaccinations.  Our son-in-law is fortunate to work from home.  He wasn’t able to do his daily work (brain fog), but dragged himself to his laptop for occasional Zoom meetings.  Both have attested that the fatigue is overwhelming.

Thanks for the advice on what to have on hand if we catch it.  I’ve been wondering.

Our closest pharmacies don’t have the bivalent booster yet.  Hopefully soon. 

• Upvote 2

Here is an excerpt from a Washington Post article dated July 20, 2022:

Nurses leaving over coronavirus stress

A survey of 2,500 nurses released Wednesday found that 64 percent are looking to leave the health-care profession, a nearly 40 percent increase from a similar survey a year ago. Three-quarters of those surveyed said they have experienced burnout since the coronavirus pandemic began, and half said they had suffered feelings of trauma, extreme stress or post-traumatic stress disorder. 

“Our nurses are the backbone of our health system,” said Dani Bowie, vice president of clinical strategy and transformation at Trusted Health, a health-care advocacy group that released the survey. “So, if they’re not operating out of their best state, it’s very detrimental to the well-being of our community and our patients.”

The pandemic has worsened the U.S. nursing shortage as overworked and ill-treated health-care workers have quit en masse. Half the nurses surveyed said they had been verbally attacked by patients or their family members; almost a quarter said they’d been physically assaulted.

. . . . 

We were chatting with a neighbor, and she received a call from a local 4-year college. They have more nursing program students than they have available housing, so our neighbor is currently renovating her home to board two nursing students.  She knows of another neighbor who has been renting rooms to nursing students (from another college).  Yet another neighbor is also fixing up a residence to accommodate nursing students.  Who knew our neighborhood was such a hotbed of nursing students!
Anyway, it seems a hopeful sign that a new generation of medical students are optimistic and working towards entering the field.

• Upvote 1
  • Thank You 1

21 hours ago, EyesOpen said:

I hope you’re feeling better. My son got the “back to school cold” , aka covid, two weeks ago. He’s a teenager and succumbed to peer pressure.  None of his teachers wear mask and in 4 out of 7 classes, he’s the only student wearing a mask. He decided he was done wearing a mask mask at school and three days later, he started feeling miserable. Fortunately, symptoms were bad for only 2 days and the cough was completely gone by day 4. My husband and I tested negative. We took two antigen tests and one PCR test. 

My son’s doctor recommended to keep him hydrated, so he took electrolytes and Body Armor. She also recommended to take allergy medicine at night. I gave my son Xyzal and it helped with the congestion. And finally, she said it was important to eat healthy, so I gave him homemade chicken soup and he said it brought him back to life.

Something I noticed was that after the initial nausea was gone, he was very hungry all the time. He’s a picky eater and eats very little, but while he was sick with covid he was eating 5 to 6 times a day!  

I have a friend who used to send her kids with strep. She would give them Tylenol and off to school they went 😔. I imagine it’s the same with covid since she thinks covid is just a cold. 😒

Edited by HaiLai
  • Upvote 4
  • Love 3

I am still coughing and Mr Grace sleeps more than humanly feasible but otherwise we are ok now.  

We have had very little appetite during covid.

• Upvote 1
  • Love 9

Noooooo! Apparently there is a new variant. I’m ready to say all the swear words and smash all the plates on the floor. But then I’d have to clean up the mess. Just GO AWAY, Covid. I am OVER it.

https://www.news.com.au/world/scientists-on-alert-as-new-covid-strain-tears-through-multiple-countries/news-story/d7975efbc4350976900a6ea0c834d9be

• Upvote 1
  • I Agree 5
  • Thank You 3

13 hours ago, adidas said:

Just GO AWAY, Covid. I am OVER it.

Agree but I think this is wishful thinking. But I would love to kick our country leaders in the ass so they finally DO something. I’d like to have masks back in public indoor spaces and good ventilation in work places and everywhere else. Covid is fucking not over and won’t be for a while. So do something for ffs and stop acting like the pandemic is over.

• Upvote 3
  • I Agree 4

13 hours ago, adidas said:

Noooooo! Apparently there is a new variant. I’m ready to say all the swear words and smash all the plates on the floor. But then I’d have to clean up the mess. Just GO AWAY, Covid. I am OVER it.

https://www.news.com.au/world/scientists-on-alert-as-new-covid-strain-tears-through-multiple-countries/news-story/d7975efbc4350976900a6ea0c834d9be

Now is obviously the time to remove mask mandates on public transport so people don't have to cope with changes between states. *eyeroll*

• Upvote 1
  • Sad 1
  • Eyeroll 1

We drove to another town to get the bivalent vaccination this morning.  The distribution locally has been spotty, so we were willing to drive a bit.  We may travel in a few weeks, so wanted to be sure we were covered.  So far no huge reaction except the usual tender arm and tiredness.  Most people at the pharmacy were masked, which was appreciated. 
😴

• Love 4

Japan is going to reopen to tourism next month

Japan, one of the world's last major holdouts during the pandemic, is dissolving its Covid-19 restrictions and opening the door back up to mass tourism.

Beloved for its unique mix of vibrant urban culture and natural beauty, the country is lifting its tight regulations on foreign tourists, according to a tweet Thursday from Taro Kono, Japan's minister of digital affairs.

"Finally, Japan will reopen the border," the tweet said. "Visa waiver is back, no daily limit and free individual visits."

"We will lift the ceiling of the number of entrants into Japan, lift the ban on individual travel and lift the ban over visa-less travel," Prime Minister Fumio Kishida said Thursday at a news conference in New York City, where he was attending the UN General Assembly meeting.

It's supposed to take effect on the 11th. 

If someone came along and offered me an all expenses paid trip to Japan tomorrow I wouldn't turn them down but there's several other places (Australia, Greece, UK, Germany, and Luxembourg) that are ahead of it on the travel bucket list.  

• Thank You 1

BA.2.75.2 looks interesting.

Short version: it appears to not be neutralised by most of the monoclonals, which gives it an advantage.

Hard to say which way this will go - new wave or whether the existing population immunity is enough to stem it. The preprint is here if anyone is interested.

• Thank You 3

On 9/22/2022 at 2:39 AM, Ozlsn said:

Now is obviously the time to remove mask mandates on public transport so people don't have to cope with changes between states. *eyeroll*

They've done that in my state, and cases keep dropping. So maybe now is the time.

Wachter, who recently compared unmasking to reckless driving, conjectured that the reason so many people have decided to move on and resume their normal lives, despite the ongoing toll of the virus, is “exhaustion.”

This guy needs to see a few car wrecks before he makes such analogies. Or spend some time with an EMT. It's hardly comparable to the vaccinated going maskless. That's like comparing a sinus infection to cancer.

However, even he is now dining indoors, so perhaps he is rethinking things.

Edited by Jackie3
  • Fuck You 1
  • Eyeroll 1

On 9/22/2022 at 1:53 AM, Smash! said:

Agree but I think this is wishful thinking. But I would love to kick our country leaders in the ass so they finally DO something. I’d like to have masks back in public indoor spaces and good ventilation in work places and everywhere else. Covid is fucking not over and won’t be for a while. So do something for ffs and stop acting like the pandemic is over.

Less than 1 death per 100,000 today, as reported by the NYT.   And the number of cases keep dropping. 

387726522_covidin2022.thumb.png.384c7c326ee609eecc68072a85ca3f33.png

• Fuck You 1

That's nice but we still aren't close to our lowest lows and cases are increasing in something like 17 states.  I keep hoping we'll drop very low and not have another surge, but if wishes were horses and all.  

• Upvote 1
  • Love 1

11 hours ago, Coconut Flan said:

That's nice but we still aren't close to our lowest lows and cases are increasing in something like 17 states.  I keep hoping we'll drop very low and not have another surge, but if wishes were horses and all.  

Covid will never be gone.

• Fuck You 1

Have you EVER seen me say it will be?  The question is how callous we're willing to be as a society or how many people we think are disposable.  One measure of a society is how the weakest members are treated.  

With you which are you - worrying over the downtrodden or merrily sacrificing the aged and sick?

• Upvote 1
  • I Agree 1
  • Love 2

5 hours ago, Coconut Flan said:

Have you EVER seen me say it will be?  The question is how callous we're willing to be as a society or how many people we think are disposable.  One measure of a society is how the weakest members are treated.  

With you which are you - worrying over the downtrodden or merrily sacrificing the aged and sick?

Even the CDC disagrees with you.

The CDC has dropped the mask mandate in health care settings. Dropped it in nursing homes. Dropped it in hospitals. You can enter all those places maskless. 

https://www.wboy.com/news/health/coronavirus/cdc-no-longer-recommends-universal-masking-in-health-facilities/

You know better than the CDC? The CDC is callous and thinks people are disposable, but you know better than them? I see.

You may like to be sanctimonious and scold others. I prefer to listen to scientists and follow their advice.

Edited by Jackie3
  • Fuck You 1

You're unbelievable but my yes I've disagreed with the CDC before and likely will again.  I put on a mask back in 2019 when they told us not to and I'll keep wearing one.  They didn't say don't wear a mask this time.  They aren't requiring them.  That's a difference.  Areas NOT in high transmission areas may CHOOSE not to make masks mandatory.  Not a blanket withdrawal of masks. 73% of the US is still in a high transmission level.  Try to get it right. 

https://www.woodtv.com/health/coronavirus/cdc-no-longer-recommends-universal-masking-in-health-facilities/

Don't bring up sanctimonious unless you're willing to admit it about yourself.  You're the one who drags out supporting your pet causes even when not applicable.  I will stand by the statement that current and past CDC policies have cost lives and will continue to cost lives.  My line of acceptable deaths is not theirs.  Since those same people of color that you want to go on about are the same ones most affected by COVID I still hold you have some selfish views on the lines you draw.  

Edited by Coconut Flan
  • Upvote 3
  • Love 1

1 hour ago, Coconut Flan said:

You're unbelievable but my yes I've disagreed with the CDC before and likely will again.  I put on a mask back in 2019 when they told us not to and I'll keep wearing one.  They didn't say don't wear a mask this time.  They aren't requiring them.  That's a difference.  Areas NOT in high transmission areas may CHOOSE not to make masks mandatory.  Not a blanket withdrawal of masks. 73% of the US is still in a high transmission level.  Try to get it right. 

https://www.woodtv.com/health/coronavirus/cdc-no-longer-recommends-universal-masking-in-health-facilities/

It's not just the CDC.

You are also disagreeing with the President of the United States.

1423529690_bidenover.png.ca7fa3e1da59eaf91f7ede2abe9103f1.png

And the World Health Organization, who says the end's in sight.

who.png.2359541230a914c966a5514cdfb0d86e.png

• Fuck You 1
  • Haha 1

Bothers me not at all.  I'm also in agreement with many epidemiologists.  Seems to worry you a lot more than it does anyone else in the world.  

• Upvote 1
  • Love 2

5 hours ago, Coconut Flan said:

Bothers me not at all.  I'm also in agreement with many epidemiologists.  Seems to worry you a lot more than it does anyone else in the world.  

I appreciate the concern.😙 I wore a mask when they told me to, and took if off when they said it was ok. No stress there, actually. My profession and my husband's put me at high risk, but I trust in scientist and the vaccine. It's served me well and I've avoided the chronic irrational fear that seems to affect so many.

Chronic irrational fear carries it's own health risks.

• Fuck You 2
  • Downvote 2