IGNORED

Pete Buttigieg

GreyhoundFan

Secretary of Transportation Pete Buttigieg is a wonderful and intelligent spokesperson for important ideas. I like this answer about the importance of codifying same sex marriage, complete with a nice dig at Rubio:

• Upvote 11

• 2 weeks later...

This is a good interview. Pete explains things well.

• Upvote 2
  • I Agree 1
  • Thank You 1
  • Love 2

I have such a crush on him and his husband seems charming as well. I know I can admit to you guys without being judged that in my fantasy neighborhood, they live right next door. (Yes, I have a fantasy neighborhood and yes, Daddy Kaine lives there too but a little further down the street. He has a snowplow attachment for his truck and plows out everyone’s driveway and the street when it snows. It’s not all politician filled though.)

• Upvote 5

• 4 months later...

Gym Jordan should know better than to try and outsmart Pete:

image.png.1244cf27ca4f4747174708aad4a0ec59.png

• Upvote 10

• 2 weeks later...

I love when Pete smacks down Faux:

• Upvote 1
  • Thank You 1
  • Love 4

• 3 weeks later...

I agree that Pete should choose how to refer to Chasten. 

• Upvote 9

... did the Catholic League just admit to polytheism? "Nature's God"? 

Also honestly marriage is a social construct, which varies according to the social mores and needs of the day.  Obviously the Catholic League haven't read the Old Testament at all or this would be obvious to them.

Seriously this makes me think the French separation of Church and State is the way to go - the state will only recognise your marriage as legal if it was in the town hall, what you want to do in the way of religious or other ceremony is up to you but unless you've appeared in front of the mayor with the relevant paperwork you're not recognised by the state as married. 

• Upvote 11

5 hours ago, Ozlsn said:

the state will only recognise your marriage as legal if it was in the town hall, what you want to do in the way of religious or other ceremony is up to you but unless you've appeared in front of the mayor with the relevant paperwork you're not recognised by the state as married. 

It‘s the same here. Without a trip to the courthouse signing the contract you‘re not legally married. Excuse me my previous cultural ignorance, for a long time I thought it was the same in all Western Countries (yes I was clueless). 

• Upvote 5

6 hours ago, Smash! said:

It‘s the same here. Without a trip to the courthouse signing the contract you‘re not legally married. Excuse me my previous cultural ignorance, for a long time I thought it was the same in all Western Countries (yes I was clueless). 

Do you also have to say the vows in front of the mayor or delegate? (I'm very hazy on how the process works outside of Australia and France). Here as long as the vows were conducted by an appropriate person (recognised celebrant, recognised religious leader etc) and the paperwork is sent through the state will recognise the marriage. (Admittedly this did lead to a situation recently where a priest died and they discovered he'd forgotten to send in quite a bit of paperwork - there was some agreed backdating of marriage certificates).

I found it weirdly interesting to discover when Charles and Cailla were married that the UK also requires the location be recognised as a place you can get married - that certainly doesn't apply here as I've been to weddings in backyards, parks, wineries, by rivers, and in various religious buildings.

• Upvote 7

In the Netherlands it is illegal to be married by the church without first having been married by law. Fines are applicable for religious officiants who marry people who aren't married by law.

• Thank You 6

12 hours ago, Ozlsn said:

Do you also have to say the vows in front of the mayor or delegate?

You have to apply for a marriage license and send in the required documents.

No vow are needed. You need to have two witnesses (one for each person) with you and then you sign the legal marriage document. If the one takes on the name of the other, you sign the document with the new name. You can request a small ceremony where the courthouse officiant says words and you can say your vows to each other. That's not necessary tough, my city offers an "instant wedding" where you just go in, sign the documents and leave.

Afterwards you are free to have any ceremony you want. Friends of mine got legally married a year before their wedding ceremony at a church and reception afterwards.

It's getting more and more common for courthouses to offer the legal wedding ceremony at special locations like Hotels, Restaurants or the Zoo.

Edited by Smash!
  • Thank You 8

Oh and to add: The courthouse fees can be pretty hefty - especially if you want to do it at a special location you pay an additional 300 Euro or so. We're currently causally talking about getting married (not engaged yet tough) and not sure if we go through with it. Especially since in Switzerland you pay more taxes when you're married and file jointly than when you're legally single.

• Thank You 4

8 hours ago, Smash! said:

Especially since in Switzerland you pay more taxes when you're married and file jointly than when you're legally single.

Wow, that's almost the complete opposite of my understanding of how the US tax works. I don't think we file taxes jointly at all, whether married, de facto or single. 

• Upvote 3

I love how he remains calm and reasonable:

• Upvote 6

In 2016 I would have voted for Mayor Pete for President had he stayed in until my primary, but he did not. With the election of Trump, America decided that experience, morals, intellect, marital status, gender identity, religion or lack their of, sexual preference, criminal behavior and back ground DO NOT matter. So all those freewheeling “drain the swamp” folks can just suck it up in all future elections. You played your hand. You don’t care about WHO is President, just as long as they play for your political team. But he’s gay…STFU and look at ALL of Trump’s actual flaws, and tell me again how gayness might cause the vapors-

Explain to me how being a gay married man and father is somehow more dangerous for America (not to mention retire military, educated, smart, articulate, calm) than Trump????????????????????

Edited by SassyPants
  • Upvote 3
  • I Agree 1

On 1/22/2023 at 5:52 PM, fraurosena said:

In the Netherlands it is illegal to be married by the church without first having been married by law. Fines are applicable for religious officiants who marry people who aren't married by law.

My daughter who lives and was married in Ecuador, a Catholic country overall, experienced this as well. The church does not have the power to bless matrimony until a couple is legally married by the law!

• Upvote 7

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Bobo shouldn’t go after Pete. He has more intelligence in an eyelash than she does in her empty noggin. 

• Upvote 4
  • Thank You 3