IGNORED

Gilead is Real - The War on Women and Abortion Part 3

GreyhoundFan

9 hours ago, ADoyle90815 said:

Kansas voters vote against anti-abortion amendment.

At least, voters in Kansas value reproductive freedom since it's been left "up to the states."

I was so pleased to hear this during my morning commute. NPR's Morning Edition had a good bit about it. They pointed out that Kansas still has significant restrictions, including a waiting period and a requirement to have an ultrasound, but that the KS constitution gives the right to an abortion up to the 22nd week. Reich wingers will likely try to stack more onerous restrictions on women.

• Upvote 9

10 hours ago, ADoyle90815 said:

Kansas voters vote against anti-abortion amendment.

At least, voters in Kansas value reproductive freedom since it's been left "up to the states."

I live in Kansas and I am crying with joy this morning!  I was so prepared for this to go the other way.  We have to keep up the fight!

• Love 16

55 minutes ago, zeebaneighba said:

I live in Kansas and I am crying with joy this morning!  I was so prepared for this to go the other way.  We have to keep up the fight!

I saw this on the news this morning I was very happy for your state. 

• Upvote 4

"Georgia says ‘unborn child’ counts as dependent on taxes after 6 weeks"

Under Georgia law, fetuses now have “full legal recognition” as living people. That means their parents can claim them as dependents on their tax returns — even before delivery.

The state’s department of revenue said Monday that it would begin recognizing “any unborn child with a detectable human heartbeat … as eligible for the Georgia individual income tax dependent exemption” — amounting to $3,000. Taxpayers must be prepared to provide relevant medical records and documents if requested by the department.

The tax benefit is a byproduct of a law that went into effect July 20 banning abortions after about six weeks of pregnancy. Georgia House Bill 481 was initially approved in 2019 but was deemed unconstitutional, given the protections granted by Roe v. Wade. Once that long-standing precedent was overturned in June, a federal appeals court cleared the way for Georgia’s abortion ban to become law. The court also agreed that “personhood” could be redefined to include fetuses.

The concept of enshrining personhood into antiabortion policy isn’t new. Among the states that consider embryos as distinct people are Alabama, Arizona, Georgia, Kansas and Missouri, the Associated Press reported. Others states — including Colorado, Mississippi and North Dakota — have tried to follow suit, but the proposed pieces of legislation have so far failed, according to the AP.

Georgia’s personhood provision is, for now, the most expansive. Not only does it grant tax breaks for fetuses, but it also requires that they be included in some population counts. It also imposes child support “on the father of an unborn child” — amounting to the “direct medical and pregnancy related expenses of the mother.”

But considering the prevalence of miscarriages and stillbirths, some wondered what the implications of the new tax policy could mean for those who experience pregnancy loss. Georgia State University law professor Anthony Michael Kreis speculated on Twitter that the state’s treasury could end up “handing out a lot of cash for pregnancies that would never come to term.”

Lauren Groh-Wargo, campaign manager for Georgia Democratic gubernatorial candidate Stacey Abrams, questioned whether pregnancy loss could trigger an investigation. “So what happens when you claim your fetus as a dependent and then miscarry later in the pregnancy, you get investigated both for tax fraud and an illegal abortion?” she tweeted.

Neither the bill nor the guidance issued by the Georgia Department of Revenue addresses what would happen in the event of a miscarriage.

The law also creates other gray areas. For instance, what are the implications for couples using a surrogate? And when it comes to sperm donors or instances of uncertain paternity, who would be responsible for providing child support?

The Washington Post has contacted the Georgia Department of Revenue seeking clarification. The department’s guidance delineates that additional information — “including return instructions to claim the personal exemption for an unborn child with a detectable heartbeat” — will be issued later this year.

Georgia’s ban prohibits most abortions after about six weeks of pregnancy, typically around the time when doctors can begin to detect cardiac activity. Exceptions include pregnancies caused by rape and incest, if a police report is filed, and pregnancies that would result in a woman’s death or serious harm, though not harm based “on a diagnosis or claim of a mental or emotional condition.” Additionally, the law doesn’t ban terminations for nonviable pregnancies, ectopic pregnancies or spontaneous abortions, commonly known as miscarriages.

Georgia’s law underscores stark differences among states and a dizzying lack of consensus when it comes to personhood.

In Missouri, abortion is banned — except in cases of life endangerment — based on the “right to life of the unborn child.” At the same time, a divorce there can’t be finalized if one spouse is pregnant. The reason: The state’s divorce law doesn’t consider fetuses to be people, so there can’t be a “court order that dictates visitation and child support for a child that doesn’t exist,” the Riverfront Times reported.

Last month, a case in Texas made headlines after a pregnant woman was pulled over for driving alone in a high-occupancy lane. When the officers asked where the other passenger was, Brandy Bottone replied that her baby counted as a passenger, given the overturning of Roe and the state’s abortion policy.

She still got a ticket.

“The laws don’t speak the same language, and it’s all been kind of confusing, honestly,” she told The Post.

• WTF 4
  • Thank You 5

I must admit, I also enjoyed seeing this.

image.png.9749c594e8c3ba23594e7aba8d6fabbf.png

• Upvote 1
  • I Agree 6

One of my favorite satirical writers is back from maternity leave. This is her latest: "Whoops, we forgot women could still vote"

KANSAS — So this is a little embarrassing, but we may have gotten so carried away trying to pass abortion restrictions that we sort of forgot women could still vote! A mind-fart, for sure! When you are sitting there legislating about someone as though they are not there at all — a someone with no rights the state is bound to respect, neither to control what occurs within the bounds of their own body nor, necessarily, to life, even — you can be forgiven for thinking, “Well, this cannot possibly apply to a large swath of the voting population! This isn’t the kind of law you pass about fellow voters! They would say something, probably!”

And, well, they did! Yes, it turns out that women can still vote. Oops! Our bad! Actually, so can everyone else this law would affect, both the pregnant people whose bodies it would presume to control and those who just don’t want that kind of thing happening to their fellow citizens in general! And none of them are pleased! Yikes! They turned out in droves and voted against rolling back the Kansas constitution’s protections for abortion by a pretty overwhelming margin — more than 58 percent voting to preserve them!

You can kind of see why we were thinking this way, though. We thought everybody had already been divided into voters and vessels. The voters got to pass restrictions, and the vessels got to sit there and smile! It’s an easy mistake to make when you are running around the country wildly stripping people’s rights not to be forced to give birth and threatening the livelihoods of those who would offer them correct medical advice that would keep them from dying or suffering cruelly. Those aren’t going to be people you see as equals — certainly not as fully realized people who can vote. That was sort of my assumption, and I’ve been rebuked for it now!

It really gives you pause: Can you actually force significant life choices down fellow voters’ throats, as though they are not your peers under law? And have it be a successful strategy?

Apparently not like this!

But don’t worry. We are chastened, and we won’t repeat this error: We are working very hard on tightening the voting process. Soon, only the ballots we believe in are going to count.

Yes, we did our best to make the messaging as confusing as we could, and, sure, we’ve been working to make it harder to register to vote, but we can always do better. No, not at realizing that this isn’t a winning approach and we should stop trying to take our fellow citizens’ rights away. Certainly not at treating those affected by abortion restrictions as people whose rights deserve respect. But just at fixing this voting oversight.

It seems too clear. People with the ability to choose won’t choose us, so there’s only one solution to securing less choice: less choice.

• Upvote 1
  • Thank You 11

40 minutes ago, GreyhoundFan said:

It seems too clear. People with the ability to choose won’t choose us, so there’s only one solution to securing less choice: less choice.

And of course it will totally align with the original intent of the founders of the Constitution!

• Upvote 7

GQP senator revels in making a woman cry:

• Disgust 3
  • WTF 4

Marshall just walks out when Elizabeth Warren asks him a question. What a jerk.

• WTF 7

5 hours ago, GreyhoundFan said:

What a damn snowflake. What a damn coward. What a damn elected official so weak in his convictions he can’t stand up for them in the face of opposition. What a damn weakling. What a damn lack of respect. She should play this clip in her re-election campaign as should his opponent. Be sure to spin it as “When the going gets tough- the weak start running.” How very telling. He couldn’t handle Elizabeth Warren so he ran.”

• Upvote 12

21 hours ago, GreyhoundFan said:

He is such an ass.  I am disgusted that he is one of my senators.

• Upvote 5

7 hours ago, WiseGirl said:

Fuckers. "Indiana becomes first state post-Roe to pass law banning most abortions."

https://www.cnn.com/2022/08/05/politics/indiana-state-house-abortion-bill/index.html

I wouldn't want to be pregnant in Indiana, especially if approaching or past 20 weeks with a risky pregnancy.  I could see this law causing some women to abort in fear of not being able to later, in wait-and-see situations that could potentially have terrible results. 

Actually, I wouldn't want to be in Indiana at all now.  If was unavoidable I'd try to drive straight through and not spend a tourism/taxable penny.

• Upvote 11

Tim Scott demonstrates why repugs who don't think sex ed is important are so wrong. He's a 56 year old man who is unmarried and seems to have no children, so he thinks women are pregnant for a year or more?

image.png.129bae9602109f0bbe7aecb1a502644b.png

• Eyeroll 1
  • WTF 4
  • Haha 5

Also, LE GASP! Statehood for DC. You mean people who pay taxes but do not have representation in congress? HOW COULD WE? (We totally should, along with the territories. No American citizen should be unrepresented in congress)

• Upvote 10

8 hours ago, ADoyle90815 said:

I'd get a hysterectomy before going anywhere near Indiana at this point. 

The late Joe Jamail of Texas Style Deposition fame one said, "I'd rather have a nose on my ass than go to Delaware for any reason" after the court in that state complained about him.  Yeah that's how I feel about these reich wing states that see The Handmaiden's Tale as a guide rather than a warning.

And a little bit of good news out of Iowa today;

On June 24th at approximately 7:17 pm, a person taking part in a downtown protest near the courthouse was reportedly struck by a truck in the area of 8th Avenue and 2nd Street SE. Now, weeks after the incident, Cedar Rapids Police have officially charged the driver.

Investigators say that 53-year-old David Alan Huston approached the protestors while in his vehicle. Although Mr. Huston had a green light, officials say he aggressively approached protestors. Police say video evidence indicates other vehicles in the area “appear to simply wait for the protesters.”

Huston has been charged with Assault by Use or Display of a Dangerous Weapon (Vehicle) and Leaving the Scene of a Personal Injury Accident.

• Thank You 4

Dude is a dentist, so presumably he took at least some biology classes. And he and his wife have four kids.

• Upvote 1
  • Confused 1
  • Eyeroll 2
  • WTF 8
  • Haha 1

There is a reason I called my pregnancies "the parasites."  Some people are too either dumb or uneducated to be allowed around the rest of us.  

• Upvote 6

36 minutes ago, Coconut Flan said:

There is a reason I called my pregnancies "the parasites."  Some people are too either dumb or uneducated to be allowed around the rest of us.  

I agree. And they certainly are too dumb and or uneducated to be making healthcare policy.

• Upvote 1
  • I Agree 5
  • Love 2

2 hours ago, GreyhoundFan said:

Dude is a dentist, so presumably he took at least some biology classes. And he and his wife have four kids.

So I suppose the fetus and placenta just float inside the uterus defying gravity not practicing gravity because it’s not mentioned in the Bible?

• Haha 7