IGNORED

Fundie in New Zealand?

Scone

I've been lurking here for a month or two now, but all of the sudden all these homeschooled Kiwis are coming out of the woodwork and I'm intensely curious. I'm sure I probably know most of you, NZ is such a small place.

I'm from the South Island, homeschooled. My parents were into Above Rubies and Keepers at home, and were kinda friends with the Smiths. Not royalty, but the founders/contact people for our region so we were showkids. Not as much as the Botkins or Duggars or anything but enough to make me angry haha.

So yeah. Hi :shifty:

Hi Kiwis,

I just got back from NZ last week. I'm moving to Auckland in 2012 with my Kiwi husband. Good to know I can continue my fundie watching down under.

I have a question: Who are the women with the headcoverings, sort of like bandanas? I was on a ferry coming back from the South Island about 10 years ago and there were all these people with long skirts and headcoverings; a big group of maybe 50 or 60 people. I was trying to find a seat on the ferry and they kept grabbing all the tables. We sat at a lone table completely surrounded by them and they kept giving us dirty looks the whole ride. It was raining, so I was in jeans, not flashing any skin, but I definately got the impression that we were not welcome.

I assume the exclusive Brethren. They generally go for the denim skirt look, and they headcover but it tends to be more of a wide headband style with scarves or bandanas. They like to be involved in politics (caused a bit of a scandal last election) and really don't like outsiders.

I assume the exclusive Brethren. They generally go for the denim skirt look, and they headcover but it tends to be more of a wide headband style with scarves or bandanas. They like to be involved in politics (caused a bit of a scandal last election) and really don't like outsiders.

Involved but not through voting...

When I was a kid a couple of my school friends were exclusive brethren...

They have their own schools now BUT they must use non exclusive brethren teachers since ebs can't actually do university teaching degrees fir religious reasons...

A friend of a friend was an eb teacher. She had to supply her own computer, and couldn't use it in class if I remember rightly...

Involved but not through voting...

When I was a kid a couple of my school friends were exclusive brethren...

They have their own schools now BUT they must use non exclusive brethren teachers since ebs can't actually do university teaching degrees fir religious reasons...

A friend of a friend was an eb teacher. She had to supply her own computer, and couldn't use it in class if I remember rightly...

Haha yes more in the 'bankrolling campaigns but pretending we aren't kind of way.

I think the computer thing is to do with the screens from memory. I remember my father having to write a computer program for a brethren owned company so everything they did would be printed, and they wouldn't have to use the screens.

I've been lurking here for a month or two now, but all of the sudden all these homeschooled Kiwis are coming out of the woodwork and I'm intensely curious. I'm sure I probably know most of you, NZ is such a small place.

I'm from the South Island, homeschooled. My parents were into Above Rubies and Keepers at home, and were kinda friends with the Smiths. Not royalty, but the founders/contact people for our region so we were showkids. Not as much as the Botkins or Duggars or anything but enough to make me angry haha.

So yeah. Hi :shifty:

Hello! Another South Island homeschooler here, although not for religious reasons. Back when I homeschooled in the early 90s though, we joined the local Christian HS group as that was all there was going. Lots of the kids in my area did ACE.

Hi Kiwis,

I just got back from NZ last week. I'm moving to Auckland in 2012 with my Kiwi husband. Good to know I can continue my fundie watching down under.

I have a question: Who are the women with the headcoverings, sort of like bandanas? I was on a ferry coming back from the South Island about 10 years ago and there were all these people with long skirts and headcoverings; a big group of maybe 50 or 60 people. I was trying to find a seat on the ferry and they kept grabbing all the tables. We sat at a lone table completely surrounded by them and they kept giving us dirty looks the whole ride. It was raining, so I was in jeans, not flashing any skin, but I definately got the impression that we were not welcome.

Sounds like Exc. Bretheren to me, loads where I live in the top of the South. And they seem to like to travel in packs. Most of the women I "know" (through serving them in my job) are lovely people, very friendly.

Definately don't have to give up your fundie watching when you move here, we seem to attract a certain ammount of the crazy!

Yeah I can only think of two family I knew of that were non xian homschoolers, and I don't think any of the other parents really liked or trusted them.

We got lots of the TEOTWAWKI kinda crazy too. I was often taught growing up that NZ was like a guinea pig for the future OWG to try things out on because we are an island with no way of escape

Yeah I can only think of two family I knew of that were non xian homschoolers, and I don't think any of the other parents really liked or trusted them.

Yeah.. there was one family in our homeschool group who were I think agnostic, and their oldest daughter was in the process of converting to Islam I believe. The poor people weren't treated very well by the other families.

We got lots of the TEOTWAWKI kinda crazy too. I was often taught growing up that NZ was like a guinea pig for the future OWG to try things out on because we are an island with no way of escape

Also because we got EFTPOS first, which is clearly a precursor to the Mark of the Beast. Also gave women the vote first, and we all know how THAT turned out! :snooty:

Archived