IGNORED

Remnant Fellowship 23: Elizabeth's Phoning It & Michael Did a Runner. Literally.

nelliebelle1197

1 minute ago, bffyly said:

Everyone except the people on that plane and other RF people. I think he represented himself as experienced to Gwen, and if Gwen said it was safe, then no one argued. The key for me was when Natasha refused to allow their daughter to fly with him. She knew for sure.  I wonder if any RF knew his daughter wasn’t allowed to fly with him. 

Oh yes, definitely. I guess I meant that all of us bystanders who weren’t in the cult but knew a lot of about the cult thanks to those who left. But yes, if Gwen said he was a good and experienced pilot, it was true.

• I Agree 1
  • Love 5

If you look at Jessica Richardson’s Instagram, you will see that as a commercial pilot, she has tons and tons of training. She has now been hired at southwest. She has been doing so much training just for southwest even though she was flying for another company for years. She has had so much training for emergency situations as well. So they always know what to do in each type of emergency. It’s crazy to me that random young fundies and Joe Lara can just fly around with a fraction of the training as commercial pilots. I’m so glad that commercial pilots have all this training but it just shows me that pilots like Joe needed so much more. And he shouldn’t have been able to fly that plane without more training. 

• Upvote 5
  • I Agree 2
  • Love 5

On 3/23/2023 at 12:56 PM, JDuggs said:

No, JFK Jr. was not rated to fly instruments only.

Correct. I lived a few miles away from the airport where JFK Jr. took off for the last time so I remember a lot about the whole thing. That part of North Jersey is very close to New York City but the traffic can make getting across the Hudson river (which divides NY from NJ) quite an ordeal. If I left my house at 2:30 am I could be in midtown Manhattan in about 40 minutes, but any other time of day it took at least an hour, usually longer. John, his wife, and her sister got stuck in Friday night rush hour traffic out of NYC, and didn't get to the airport until much later than planned. Despite the delay they took off for Cape Cod, even though the timing was close enough to sunset that they risked flying the dark, and JFK Jr. didn't have the skills for flying in the dark.

Also worth mentioning is that JFK Jr. had wanted to be a pilot his entire life, but he didn't start flying lessons until after his mother died in 1994. I don't think he had a premonition or anything like, rather he was aware flying was a dangerous hobby*.... though maybe after years of pilot training he concluded flying was not that dangerous, and was overconfident of his ability to fly in the dark.

*His Uncle Joseph and Aunt Kathleen had died in separate plane crashes in the 1940s. 

• Upvote 11

On 3/25/2023 at 1:43 PM, shesinsane said:

Correct. I lived a few miles away from the airport where JFK Jr. took off for the last time so I remember a lot about the whole thing. That part of North Jersey is very close to New York City but the traffic can make getting across the Hudson river (which divides NY from NJ) quite an ordeal. If I left my house at 2:30 am I could be in midtown Manhattan in about 40 minutes, but any other time of day it took at least an hour, usually longer. John, his wife, and her sister got stuck in Friday night rush hour traffic out of NYC, and didn't get to the airport until much later than planned. Despite the delay they took off for Cape Cod, even though the timing was close enough to sunset that they risked flying the dark, and JFK Jr. didn't have the skills for flying in the dark.

Also worth mentioning is that JFK Jr. had wanted to be a pilot his entire life, but he didn't start flying lessons until after his mother died in 1994. I don't think he had a premonition or anything like, rather he was aware flying was a dangerous hobby*.... though maybe after years of pilot training he concluded flying was not that dangerous, and was overconfident of his ability to fly in the dark.

*His Uncle Joseph and Aunt Kathleen had died in separate plane crashes in the 1940s. 

Joseph's plane was loaded wih explosives, since he was a war pilot. Also Ted Kennedy also almost died in a plane crash in 1964 (he was not the pilot, who actually died). Also Bobby Kennedy's wife Ethel lost her parents in a plane crash. I'm sure JFK, JR. didn't want his mother to worry.

• Upvote 2

• 3 weeks later...

Grace singing on stage. Mark my words, she will be married off young. The wedding will be a huge affair. Not as huge as Gwen’s, but still huge. She and her new husband will become the lead youth pastors first, and then church leaders. And in no time, she will be the new Gwen. No one can ever take Gwen’s place. But she will fill the role of leader much better than Elizabeth. 

F93C5E63-B1CF-4A7C-8783-AAF4A6463258.jpeg

• Upvote 6
  • Confused 2
  • Sad 3

Lawzamercy.  Clutches pearls and heads to fainting couch: Strapless black, form fitting dress?  For a church function? 

On 3/24/2023 at 7:16 AM, JermajestyDuggar said:

If you look at Jessica Richardson’s Instagram, you will see that as a commercial pilot, she has tons and tons of training. She has now been hired at southwest. She has been doing so much training just for southwest even though she was flying for another company for years. She has had so much training for emergency situations as well.

Pilots Chesley "Sully" Sullenberger and Jeffrey Skiles were able to successfully "land" an AirBus commercial jet  on the Hudson because they trained, trained trained for emergencies. 

• I Agree 5

8 minutes ago, Howl said:

Lawzamercy.  Clutches pearls and heads to fainting couch: Strapless black, form fitting dress?  For a church function? 

Pilots Chesley "Sully" Sullenberger and Jeffrey Skiles were able to successfully "land" an AirBus commercial jet  on the Hudson because they trained, trained trained for emergencies. 

I admit my hate of flying is due to the huge hassle of it all. Tight spaces and expense. But I’m not afraid of dying on a commercial plane because I know it’s safer than just driving on the highway everyday. Commercial pilots are highly trained. That being said, I would never ride with some fundie with a private license. No way. 

• Upvote 6
  • I Agree 4

11 hours ago, JermajestyDuggar said:

Grace singing on stage. Mark my words, she will be married off young. The wedding will be a huge affair. Not as huge as Gwen’s, but still huge. She and her new husband will become the lead youth pastors first, and then church leaders. And in no time, she will be the new Gwen. No one can ever take Gwen’s place. But she will fill the role of leader much better than Elizabeth. 

F93C5E63-B1CF-4A7C-8783-AAF4A6463258.jpeg

How old is Grace?  I agree, she is the future...  And where in the world is Elizabeth?

• Upvote 1

39 minutes ago, rabbitholejulie said:

How old is Grace?  I agree, she is the future...  And where in the world is Elizabeth?

My guess is that she’s around 17.

Just going by social media posts from a few years ago, today would be Elizabeth and Brandon’s 20th anniversary and it’s Charles Grantham’s 10th birthday. A happy/sad day I would imagine. 

• Upvote 3

9 hours ago, rabbitholejulie said:

If I remember correctly she is 17 and will turn 18 this summer

• Thank You 3

• 1 month later...

David Shamblin died on May 19th from pancreatic cancer. As always, I feel sorry for the grandkids. I’m sure they loved their grandpa. 

• Upvote 3
  • Sad 10
  • Thank You 10

Oh my stars.  That's a lot of tragedy for the family in a relatively short time.

• Upvote 3
  • I Agree 15

Ironically David was showing off his newly slim figure on Facebook with a smile on his face and no mention of the cancer that caused him to lose the weight.

• Upvote 1
  • Sad 4

1 hour ago, Nonbeliever said:

Ironically David was showing off his newly slim figure on Facebook with a smile on his face and no mention of the cancer that caused him to lose the weight.

Yeah, a lot of people associate extra weight with ill health and weight loss with health gain. When really it can be the opposite for some people. My grandma lost a lot of weight in the 18 months before she died. No one complemented her on her slim figure because she was sick and the weight loss was due to that. 

Edited by JermajestyDuggar
  • I Agree 1
  • Love 6

My middle sister dropped weight due to an eating disorder and looked like hell—wan complexion with shadows around her eyes—and @$$#0£€s kept gushing about how “great” she looked. She wound up in the hospital with a potassium level so low her doctor had never seen it in a living person.

My mom dropped weight as she was dying from congestive heart failure and some twunt complemented her on her weight loss.

• Upvote 3
  • Sad 9

My grandma was always known for her full figure. I loved that she didn’t shame herself for having a full figure. My grandpa loved the way she looked. She always had her makeup and hair done. She wore a lot of jewelry and colorful outfits. She wasn’t going to try and hide her full figure. She had so much confidence. Maybe that’s why it was just so shocking to see her thin. Because everyone was always used to the big boobs and big hips all while looking fabulous. She showed me you can be full figured, feel confident in yourself, and look great. I’m sure Gwen hated larger bodied women who were confident in their bodies. 

• I Agree 2
  • Love 16

Omg why did they spell Taylor like that?!? If I was getting married and going to change my last name anyway, I would also change the spelling. I’m sure no one ever spells her name right as it is. 

AF023126-7A8E-46E6-9A95-87AD602A6262.jpeg

• Upvote 2
  • Bless Your Heart 2
  • WTF 3
  • Haha 3
  • I Agree 1

3 hours ago, JermajestyDuggar said:

Omg why did they spell Taylor like that?!? If I was getting married and going to change my last name anyway, I would also change the spelling. I’m sure no one ever spells her name right as it is. 

AF023126-7A8E-46E6-9A95-87AD602A6262.jpeg

They really wanted to name their baby Taylor in a way that would distinguish her from all the other kids named Taylor*? As an added bonus, Talyhr never whined to her parents to get her a tchotchke with her name on it (because none exist). 

I know an Aedan and an Aiden, so best wishes to the happy couple that is likely to have their names misspelled at least 30% of the time.

*or Taellor, Taeloar, Taelork, Taillor, Tailoar, Tailor, or Taylloar.

• Upvote 3
  • Eyeroll 1
  • Haha 1

Kre8tif name spelling drives mu up the wall,  Talyhr?! Why?. Just no. And Nyvada - oh dear Rufus.

Another RF couple being married has an Aric, a variant spelling of Eric.  Which seems perfectly fine (Eric, Erik) so why go kre8tif 

• Upvote 3
  • Downvote 1
  • Rufus Bless 1
  • Haha 1

I immediately pronounced that as “tally-her.”

• Upvote 3
  • I Agree 5

I’ve never really dug into the whole Remnant Fellowship/Gwen Shamblin history but do know that it’s a dangerous cult.  Never run across any of it in real life or known anybody that was involved……..that is until last week.  

Occasionally I help friends of mine that own an estate sale service.  They needed help with a sale for a lady that’s downsizing and moving into assisted living.  She’s been a lifelong, devout Lutheran, active in her church, community and the local rescue mission.  She had a very large collection of bibles, some dating back to 1848.  In amongst the bibles, I found a 12 cassette Exodus out of Egypt Weighdown Workshop.

I found a hammer and smashed each cassette so that no dumpster divers could retrieve them. I felt I owed an explanation to my friend so gave her the Reader’s Digest version of what I knew of Gwen.  Her response “Thank God that evil has been destroyed.”

• Upvote 15
  • Love 3

When it comes to creative spellings. I sometimes like creative spellings, but there are limits. Talyhr is one of the worst spellings I've ever seen.

I have traditional name with a traditional spelling, but there are a few ways to spell it and more creative ways. I still get asked to spell it all the time, and it can be mispelled. My mother has a very traditional name, which is misspelled by today's baristas. There's always Catherine/Katherine/Kathryn, etc. 

Aric seems okay, but I would be unsure how to pronounce it.

• Upvote 1

Some names just have 2 or 3 very common spellings. When I was growing up, I had multiple classmates with the name Lindsey/Lindsay. I honestly can’t remember which spelling was more common. They were both pretty even in my school. Same with Kathy/Cathy. Or Anne and Ann. My husband and son have a name with 3 very common spellings. I’ve seen celebrities with all three spellings. Yes, there is one spelling that is most common. So that’s usually how people spell my husband’s name. Although all three spellings are on the top 1000 names. It is annoying when a name has 2 or 3 very common spellings. But you can’t do anything about it. 

• Upvote 3

So I just went down the name origination rabbit hole on Google. Talyhr is an historical Scottish spelling derived from the French word “tailleur” meaning tailor. But then get this - Snider is an anglicanized version of the Dutch word for tailor. So her name means “tailor tailor”. I think it is kind of clever in a nerdy sort of way. I agree that all the time spent with spelling and pronunciation have been/will be hours she will never get back.

• Upvote 1
  • Haha 5

• Coconut Flan locked this topic