IGNORED

Maxwell 53: Escaping the Borg by Marriage. Who'd Have Thought Sarah?

Coconut Flan

Continued from here:

Edited by Coconut Flan
  • Upvote 1
  • Thank You 4

As I was saying to the Expert On All Subjects, I have a newsflash for @Bluebirdbluebell  In the 80's, during the height of the AIDS epidemic, it was the Catholics, alongside the nuns, who were changing the dressing on AIDS patients.  And visiting them, and comforting them-while everyone including their families shunned them.  Others were too busy condemning their lifestyles, and the Catholics rolled up their sleeves to help.  I was one of them.  It was on a Catholic mission trip.  

• Upvote 17
  • Bless Your Heart 1
  • Love 3

image.thumb.png.4aa00399ddb6ddc7f0fcd83980420d06.png

Escape the Bor?

Borg?

Bore?

All of the above?

😁

ETA - ah, I see you fixed it. Wasn't criticizing, honest, just having some fun. Thanks for the new thread!

Edited by thoughtful
  • Upvote 2
  • Haha 11

• Coconut Flan changed the title to Maxwell 53: Trying to Escape the Borg
1 hour ago, theologygeek said:

As I was saying to the Expert On All Subjects, I have a newsflash for @Bluebirdbluebell  In the 80's, during the height of the AIDS epidemic, it was the Catholics, alongside the nuns, who were changing the dressing on AIDS patients.  And visiting them, and comforting them-while everyone including their families shunned them.  Others were too busy condemning their lifestyles, and the Catholics rolled up their sleeves to help.  I was one of them.  It was on a Catholic mission trip.  

I'm not an expert on all subjects. 

You're right the church tried to help AID victims. There was a lot of good work done by nuns. Too bad those nuns don't have more of a position in church leadership.

The Catholic Church also told people that condoms weren't allowed, because they're a form of contraception. They did this while covering up widespread sex abuse. 

I don't really support mission trips in general regardless of denomination. As I said before, I particularly dislike mission trips where the main purpose is to convert non-believers. 

Edited by Bluebirdbluebell
  • Upvote 9
  • Bless Your Heart 3

3 hours ago, molecule said:

Is this Anna? 

They look alike, but I'm not sure. If she is Anna, she has really improved her hair style. 

• Upvote 3
  • I Agree 1

Not sure if it's Anna or not, but if it is, she's wearing shorts!!! 😲

• Upvote 2
  • Rufus Bless 1
  • Love 8

I don’t think that’s Anna. But I am thrilled for Anna that she is a camp counselor and that Mary is doing her own thing. 

• I Agree 4

Can't say that Christian mission trips, to convert people to True Christianity™️, are a great thing.

OTOH, it's probably better than spending the summer making bean burritos in KS while Steve & Teri sit in their side-by-side recliners.

Edited by hoipolloi
Fixed typo
  • Upvote 8
  • I Agree 1

Two things that make me think it’s not Anna. The hair color and the legs. They just look more muscular than I thought, but I guess we haven’t seen much of her legs thanks to long jean skirts! Plus the hair looks like it was lightened at some point and I don’t remember Anna doing that. But it looks like her face. 

Nevermind! I think it’s her. She’s wearing the same gold chain she was wearing in another picture earlier this year. Unless someone has the exact same gold chain. 

Edited by JermajestyDuggar
  • Upvote 10

20 hours ago, Bluebirdbluebell said:

I'm not an expert on all subjects. 

You're right the church tried to help AID victims. There was a lot of good work done by nuns. Too bad those nuns don't have more of a position in church leadership.

The Catholic Church also told people that condoms weren't allowed, because they're a form of contraception. They did this while covering up widespread sex abuse. 

I don't really support mission trips in general regardless of denomination. As I said before, I particularly dislike mission trips where the main purpose is to convert non-believers. 

Covering up the sex abuse was bad.  That doesn't negate the fact that there are many Catholics out there (clergy and nuns too) who will do what other denominations won't.  Not all mission trips are the same, and they shouldn't all be lumped into the same category.  Catholic mission trips are not like fundie mission trips.  Unless you've been on a Catholic missions trip that took care of the sick, fed the homeless or the elderly, took care of the poorest of the poor in the world, etc then you have no idea what you're talking about.  

• Upvote 9
  • Downvote 3
  • Eyeroll 4

It definitely looks like Anna to me.  And wearing make up and great hair for a children's camp?  Are we sure she doesn't have her own love interest?

• Upvote 5

2 hours ago, ClareDeLune said:

It definitely looks like Anna to me.  And wearing make up and great hair for a children's camp?  Are we sure she doesn't have her own love interest?

I think it is Anna too. Only I don't think it's because she has a love interest (although she might? who knows?). I think it's because even as restrictive as ABC is, it is downright liberal compared to the home she grew up in. She no longer carries the weight of everyone's soul and death on her shoulders. She no longer lives as directed by her mentally screwed up father. She is no longer responsible for her brother's children or keeping her father's business running. 

She is simply Anna. A young woman in college, doing what she chose to do for the summer. Even her sister - her usual ever present extra appendage - is not with her this summer. At almost 30 years old, Anna is experiencing life. A real life. 

'That's all the reason she needs to be glowing and/or make herself up / choose her own hair style. 

I know they're in a fundie church and their beliefs have not changed. I have no doubt they are celebrating today. But they are a part of the real world with real people living real lives of their own. Something I doubt they ever thought was possible. I hope they enjoy every second of it and I'd really love to see them push boundaries like most people do as they come of age and try to figure out life. 

• Upvote 26
  • I Agree 3
  • Love 4

If that's Anna it looks like she dyed/dyes her hair, but I could be wrong.

• Upvote 2

On 6/24/2022 at 7:45 PM, fundiefan said:

She no longer carries the weight of everyone's soul and death on her shoulders. She no longer lives as directed by her mentally screwed up father. She is no longer responsible for her brother's children or keeping her father's business running. 

She is simply Anna. A young woman in college, doing what she chose to do for the summer. Even her sister - her usual ever present extra appendage - is not with her this summer. At almost 30 years old, Anna is experiencing life. A real life. 

Also perhaps a natural extrovert who thrives on being around and interacting with her fellow humans and who didn't get to have that for all the years she was sequestered in Maxhell. 

• Upvote 16

I really hope Anna doesn’t go on a bunch of missions like Mary. I think Anna should just stick with being a camp counselor and teacher. It really seems to be what she likes and is good at. 

• Upvote 5
  • I Agree 11

I wonder if Maxwell sons are resenting. Christopher and Joseph were obviously interested in college (Chris in the medical field, Joseph in IT). John could have been the handsome sportman that enjoys high school so much. Now, it's the young sisters who are living what the boys were banned. 

• Upvote 15

52 minutes ago, Melissa1977 said:

I wonder if Maxwell sons are resenting. Christopher and Joseph were obviously interested in college (Chris in the medical field, Joseph in IT). John could have been the handsome sportman that enjoys high school so much. Now, it's the young sisters who are living what the boys were banned. 

Christopher would be the one, IMO.  Joseph and Jesse seem far less isolated by virtue of their IT careers, John seemed to be content with the level of freedom afforded to him as a Maxwell male, although I wonder if he's all in on the size of family Chelsy seems to want after the events of the past year. Nathan is a toss-up. 

• Upvote 10

4 hours ago, Melissa1977 said:

But they still can pursue their dreams. A light bulb might come on that they can too go to college. Because they have family, if they pursue education I hope they start at their local community College and get a practical degree in their desire and then possibly go towards a ba/bs. 

Re medical degrees- that is a big field but it is my understanding that all clinical jobs are needed (ultrasound, xray, phlebotomy, lab testing blood or tissue, nursing, etc.).

• Upvote 13
  • I Agree 2

Nice to see Anna continues the share my love for Teva sandals; I practically live in mine as long as possible in these northern latitudes ❤️

And those are pretty short shorts! Not Cathy-Arndt-short, but a huge step for a Maxwell. I can't get over how liberated and full of joy Anna (and Mary) look in every single picture now. Something to think about, Steve!

• Upvote 16
  • Love 1

On 6/23/2022 at 4:05 PM, JermajestyDuggar said:

Two things that make me think it’s not Anna. The hair color and the legs. They just look more muscular than I thought, but I guess we haven’t seen much of her legs thanks to long jean skirts! Plus the hair looks like it was lightened at some point and I don’t remember Anna doing that. But it looks like her face. 

Nevermind! I think it’s her. She’s wearing the same gold chain she was wearing in another picture earlier this year. Unless someone has the exact same gold chain. 

She was one of the top finishers in a 5K they had earlier in the year, and we commented at the time on her athleticism - it wouldn't surprise me at all if her legs were very muscular.

ETA she also likely has access to gym equipment she's never gotten to use before. She's no longer limited to long walks in frumpers, and fake snow-shoveling with weights in the family's pretend basement crossfit gym for exercise.

19 hours ago, LurkerOverThePond said:

And those are pretty short shorts! Not Cathy-Arndt-short, but a huge step for a Maxwell.

Because of the type of shorts they appear to be (a stiffer twill, not flexible athletic material) I'm sure they're much closer to knee-length when standing, but hike up some when sitting.

Edited by Bethy
  • Upvote 5

• Coconut Flan changed the title to Maxwell 53: Escaping the Borg by Marriage. Who'd Have Thought Sarah?
  • samurai_sarah locked, unlocked and locked this topic