IGNORED

Jinjer 58: Going for the DMIN

Coconut Flan

https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration-refugees-citizenship/services/new-immigrants/new-life-canada/education/types-school.html

Understand the different types of Canadian schooling

There are 3 types of schooling in Canada

primary (elementary)

secondary

post-secondary

Primary (or elementary) school

Primary education is generally for kids 5 to 12 years old. This usually includes

preschool (optional)

kindergarten

grade 1 to 6

Learn more about primary school

Secondary (or high) school

Secondary education is generally for kids 12 to 18 years old. This group usually includes Grades 7 to 12.

Learn more about Secondary school

Post-secondary

With the right educational credentials, anyone can apply to attend a post-secondary school.

Learn more about post-secondary school

• Thank You 2

1 hour ago, Maggie Mae said:

I mean, every fond memory I have of childhood seems to involve school in some way. Whether it was a field trip (like the one to a theme park where we had tools to measure G forces and solve math problems) or hanging with friends from school after school, schools are so important. I can't even fathom not wanting children to be educated, to not allow them to participate in plays, sports, science fairs, drama, etc.  To not allow them to learn about the world through books and documentaries. It's just unreal. 

Me neither! 

1 hour ago, SassyPants said:

Withholding education was used to control and limit those kids.

Omg. Totally.

• Upvote 3

8 hours ago, Coconut Flan said:

Jinger has at least according to her records a secondary education (high school).  She might need to do some remedial work to attend college which is tertiary education.  I'm not sure she desires further formal education.  Our desires for the people brought up in fundyism aren't necessarily theirs.  I can't see Jeremy being opposed especially after their children are in elementary school.

Her secondary education was at the Duggar SOTDRT. She never did beyond-basic math, lab science, literature, world history, or anything else in a standard high school curriculum. Despite what we all wanted/thought, looking back her "rebellion" was wanting to wear cute clothes and live in a city where she could get good coffee. She has that. IMO she's just fine with that.

• Upvote 13

We don't really know what Jinger learned.  That's why I was being vague.  The Duggars used Switched on Schoolhouse which does cover at least a basic high school curriculum  She did have math, science, literature, etc.  For instance 10th grade math is geometry.  Now there is very basic geometry and there is more advanced geometry, but the standard subjects are all in the program.  

• Upvote 2

6 hours ago, SassyPants said:

Withholding education was used to control and limit those kids.

True that. Remember Jill sitting in on Derrick's classes? I believe she had a curiosity about learning and college. Jinger might be curious also, as she hears Jer talk about classes and see him study and write papers. Exposure to education might make Jinger open to learning opportunities, as someone pointed out above, that help her achieve her own goals.

• Upvote 1

57 minutes ago, Maggie Mae said:

I thought they did Wisdom books?  

They started with those, but switched years ago or at least added SoS as the main education.

• Upvote 2
  • I Agree 1
  • Thank You 1

In Aus high school (grades 7-12) is secondary - some of the private schools call themselves “Something Secondary College”. And we call K-6 primary school, rather than elementary school, so that makes sense. I think technically the terms “tertiary” and “post-secondary” are interchangeable but generally when I hear tertiary I think university, when I hear post-secondary I think TAFE/vocational education (which I believe is what Americans might refer to as trade school). To go to university you need to finish year 12 (or equivalent as a mature age student) but there are some courses at TAFE you can do as long as you’ve finished year 10 at school.

• Upvote 5

11 hours ago, patsymae said:

Her secondary education was at the Duggar SOTDRT. She never did beyond-basic math, lab science, literature, world history, or anything else in a standard high school curriculum. Despite what we all wanted/thought, looking back her "rebellion" was wanting to wear cute clothes and live in a city where she could get good coffee. She has that. IMO she's just fine with that.

I have to agree. She’s also not reproducing like a rabbit so maybe that makes her feel empowered, too. I don’t follow this couple much because they’re boring, so I don’t know what their approach to birth control is, or whether they have the “we’ll accept however many children God gives us” philosophy. I would think she finds her current lifestyle both more manageable and more freeing than when she was a parentified daughter having to appease her father. 

Edited by Cam
  • Upvote 4

A girl who was a year younger than me was homeschooled with SOS. What I saw seemed to be fairly equivalent to what I was doing in school at the time. Her parents wanted me (rogue public school kid) to be her unpaid tutor 🙄 

The bigger issue was that the “teacher” (parent) could go in and manually change all of the test scores to look good on state evaluations. Educational neglect was part of the eventual messy divorce in that family but I don’t know how it played out in court- we had left the cult by then. 

• Upvote 3
  • Thank You 2

27 minutes ago, BadMurphy said:

Have any of them taken the GED?

Some of the Duggars actually have gotten their GED. I can’t remember all the ones who have. 

• Upvote 2

On 11/16/2022 at 7:47 PM, Coconut Flan said:

We don't really know what Jinger learned.  That's why I was being vague.  The Duggars used Switched on Schoolhouse which does cover at least a basic high school curriculum  She did have math, science, literature, etc.  For instance 10th grade math is geometry.  Now there is very basic geometry and there is more advanced geometry, but the standard subjects are all in the program.  

One of Michele's televised "science lessons" was having the girls plant some plants indoors and the boys do their outdoors, and seeing which grew more. No discussion of the scientific method; no controls so seeds, food, water, whether indoors had light and outdoors were in light or shade, food, etc. Wouldn't pass for science education in my neck of the woods but I guess we all have our standards.

• Upvote 5

On 11/14/2022 at 5:29 PM, SassyPants said:

Then she should get one. If JV can justify school, so can Jing. In fact, as a realist, I’d encourage it.

She could and probably should—but we’ve also seen absolutely no evidence that Jinger has any desire for a college education.  

• Upvote 2

48 minutes ago, patsymae said:

One of Michele's televised "science lessons" was having the girls plant some plants indoors and the boys do their outdoors, and seeing which grew more. No discussion of the scientific method; no controls so seeds, food, water, whether indoors had light and outdoors were in light or shade, food, etc. Wouldn't pass for science education in my neck of the woods but I guess we all have our standards.

We can't know what they actually learned from SoS by watching what Michele and production dreamed up to make an episode.

• Upvote 6
  • I Agree 3

On 11/8/2022 at 10:29 AM, viii said:

No. 

I disagree. It may be a Bible verse, but there’s a snark site literally named after her! Commanding us all to liberate her, and her specifically.

Jeremy is as worldly a fundie as they come, and perceives himself to be quite the intellectual. He must be intimately familiar with this site. I would guess it may even be a joke between them.

I think this is definitely a tongue in cheek double entendre on his part. Sure, she’s “free” theologically, but also joke’s on you, snark site, your Jinger has already been freed! It’s just too perfect to be a coincidence. There are so many other titles they could have used to indicate solely theological freedom. Bible verse or not, it’s kind of awkward wording. 

• I Agree 1

On 11/16/2022 at 2:20 PM, Maggie Mae said:

They also were never allowed to read the books that the rest of us read. They didn't learn to see the world through other people's eyes. They never experienced the joy followed by the trauma in Bridge to Terabithia, or step in to the shoes of a little girl in 1933 in Alabama. They didn't get to experience the class conversation when they read The Crucible with a group of students roughly the same age. They never watched Les Misérables with a group of kids and an instructor after reading the book and learning about The French Revolution. They never had to do anything beyond those worksheets. While I was preparing for science fair by recreating a famous study about plants and if they respond to music; they were filling out worksheets about Jesus. While my class was writing our own play for the winter parent's show thing that I can't remember the name of, they were filling out worksheets about Jesus and learning about bankruptcy. While we were watching a documentary about The Donner Party and discussing the ethics around cannibalism in a survival situation and feeling for the Native Americans who didn't want to there, the Duggars were filling out "character worksheets" while also doing chores. 

I mean, every fond memory I have of childhood seems to involve school in some way. Whether it was a field trip (like the one to a theme park where we had tools to measure G forces and solve math problems) or hanging with friends from school after school, schools are so important. I can't even fathom not wanting children to be educated, to not allow them to participate in plays, sports, science fairs, drama, etc.  To not allow them to learn about the world through books and documentaries. It's just unreal. 

Well, I mean, they did go to the Humans and Dinosaurs Lived Together for Jesus or whatever museum. 

And actually, that episode really illustrated that these people know nothing about basic science. It was all about how evolution didn’t make sense and the producers essentially mocked them for it and even the adults didn’t get it. Whatever education that have, it’s likely middle school level at best. I’d assume they know there are planets, but not how the science behind them, for example. Basic math and accounting, sure. Some idea of geography and governments, probably. Social studies…maybe? Non-Biblical literature - almost certainly not. Which is a shame because some of them seem quite clever. Being raised fundie and becoming a social media influencer speaks to a resourcefulness and ability to learn. 

Edited by Hera
More thoughts…
  • Upvote 3

1 hour ago, Johannah said:

I disagree. It may be a Bible verse, but there’s a snark site literally named after her! Commanding us all to liberate her, and her specifically.

Jeremy is as worldly a fundie as they come, and perceives himself to be quite the intellectual. He must be intimately familiar with this site. I would guess it may even be a joke between them.

I think this is definitely a tongue in cheek double entendre on his part. Sure, she’s “free” theologically, but also joke’s on you, snark site, your Jinger has already been freed! It’s just too perfect to be a coincidence. There are so many other titles they could have used to indicate solely theological freedom. Bible verse or not, it’s kind of awkward wording. 

I agree completely. But part of me goes even further and wonders if she’s giving the site credit. 

• Upvote 1
  • Haha 1

I can't imagine she is actually referencing this website for two reasons.  We are probably not something she thinks about on a regular basis (maybe Jeremy does, who knows?) and this site has had incredibly nasty things to say about her, her family, and her husband.  We think they're true, but she probably doesn't.

I was really surprised to hear the name of the book, but when I heard about the bible verse it made a lot more sense.  I can't see someone who hates conflict as much as Jinger supposedly does reading here at all, and we aren't going to stoke Jeremy's ego so he probably dabbles occasionally at most.

• Upvote 5
  • I Agree 1

Oh good grief. Did you guys watch the "cooking show" 

She made rice with a flavor packet.

Wow. this cooking channel is going to really up my homemaking game.

and yes I'm gonna say it. She's wearing the ugliest and most unflattering dress. Yeesh

Edited by WatchingTheTireFireBurn
Why can't I type??
  • Upvote 1
  • Thank You 1

9 hours ago, GuineaPigCourtship said:

this site has had incredibly nasty things to say about her, her family, and her husband.  We think they're true, but she probably doesn't.

Exactly. This is not a fan site. This is not a complimentary site. We challenge everything that Jinger is and believes in. I just don’t see any realistic way to assume that her title is giving us a positive shout out. Wishful thinking. 

• Upvote 2
  • I Agree 6

2 hours ago, viii said:

Exactly. This is not a fan site. This is not a complimentary site. We challenge everything that Jinger is and believes in. I just don’t see any realistic way to assume that her title is giving us a positive shout out. Wishful thinking. 

Carlin Bates accidentally posted a story that showed the Bates sub Reddit on her frequently visited sites. Now that sub is a little friendlier than this forum but they definitely lurk (or at least some of them do). 

On the other hand I have a friend who is a famous (and controversial) victim and she has her name blocked on social media because she can't handle reading what people have to say about her.

• Upvote 7

• Coconut Flan locked this topic