IGNORED

Jinjer 58: Going for the DMIN

Coconut Flan

Please NO requests on the forum for such info.  If you want info not allowed on the forum, please send a PM directly.  

• Thank You 2

Ugh, Jinger and Jeremy are schilling on Facebook for a Christian healthcare cost-sharing group.

• Upvote 2
  • Eyeroll 4
  • Thank You 1

1 hour ago, QuiverFullofBooks said:

Ugh, Jinger and Jeremy are schilling on Facebook for a Christian healthcare cost-sharing group.

What happens to poor people who need health care financial assistance but have nothing to “share”? 

• Upvote 6

Jinger is releasing a book “Becoming Free Indeed”

Becoming Free Indeed: My Story of Disentangling Faith from Fear https://a.co/d/cPZBfA4

Description

Spoiler

Jinger Vuolo, the sixth child in the famous Duggar family of TLC's 19 Kids and Counting and Counting On, recounts how she began to question the unhealthy ideology of her youth and learned to embrace true freedom in Christ.

When Jinger Duggar Vuolo was growing up, she was convinced that obeying the rules was the key to success and God's favor. She zealously promoted the Basic Life Principles of Bill Gothard,

fastidiously obeying the modesty guidelines (no shorts or jeans, only dresses),

eagerly submitting to the umbrella of authority (any disobedience of parents would place her outside God's protection),

promoting the relationship standard of courtship, and

avoiding any music with a worldly beat, among others.

Jinger, along with three of her sisters, wrote a New York Times bestseller about their religious convictions. She believed this level of commitment would guarantee God's blessing, even though in private she felt constant fear that she wasn't measuring up to the high standards demanded of her.

In Becoming Free Indeed, Jinger shares how in her early twenties, a new family member—a brother-in-law who didn't grow up in the same tight-knit conservative circle as Jinger—caused her to examine her beliefs. He was committed to the Bible, but he didn't believe many of the things Jinger had always assumed were true. His influence, along with the help of a pastor named Jeremy Vuolo, caused Jinger to see that her life was built on rules, not God's Word.

Jinger committed to studying the Bible—truly understanding it—for the first time. What resulted was an earth-shaking realization: much of what she'd always believed about God, obedience to His Word, and personal holiness wasn't in-line with what the Bible teaches.

Now with a renewed faith of personal conviction, Becoming Free Indeed shares what it was like living under the tenants of Bill Gothard, the Biblical truth that changed her perspective, and how she disentangled her faith with her belief in Jesus intact.

• Upvote 3
  • Thank You 21

This is the book I wish Jill would write. Part of me is mad that Jinger got there first. Because I absolutely don't trust that Jinger is free at all. She just switched headships.

Does anyone else besides me suspect she saw a money-making opportunity and ran for it?

Edited by livinginthelight
  • Upvote 34
  • I Agree 12

37 minutes ago, livinginthelight said:

This is the book I wish Jill would write. Part of me is mad that Jinger got there first. Because I absolutely don't trust that Jinger is free at all. She just switched headships.

Does anyone else besides me suspect she saw a money-making opportunity and ran for it?

100%. She’s just in a prettier looking fundamentalism now. 

• Upvote 15
  • Downvote 1
  • Eyeroll 1
  • I Agree 3

8 minutes ago, Giraffe said:

100%. She’s just in a prettier looking fundamentalism now. 

Once again, the Vuolos' church is not funide.  It's a step away at conservative evangelical.

• Upvote 4
  • Eyeroll 4

45 minutes ago, livinginthelight said:

Absolutely. This is the book that Jill needs to tell because she is the one living a life that closely resembles freedom. Jinger is still trapped in an unhealthy environment, this time it's just called marriage and her headship isn't her dad anymore, but her husband. She still isn't free to make her own choices. Interesting that she's including Ben in it, though, since Jessa seems to be the Duggarling that has doubled down on their faith the hardest. (At least, I'm assuming it's Ben - I think he's the one that originally introduced Jinger to Jeremy)

• Upvote 6
  • I Agree 3

OMG- beyond jeans, concert going and BC use… what has Jinger learned, theologically speaking, that has lead her to religious and personal freedom? Jeans wearing, popular music consumption and BC use are no indication of having done religious research, intense, contemplative thought and engagement and having formed a new belief system.

What a crock of crap!

I agree with others that coming from Jill this might work, but Jinger?

The one thing Jinger did learn from JB and M is that the easy, lazy way is the ticket to success, at least in the short run.

• Upvote 12
  • Bless Your Heart 1

I'm dying at the fact that Jinger is referencing the name of this website in her new book title 😆

• Upvote 14
  • Haha 23
  • I Agree 4
  • Love 1

10 minutes ago, indianabones said:

I'm dying at the fact that Jinger is referencing the name of this website in her new book title 😆

Royalties? 😀

• Upvote 3
  • Haha 16

If it comes to light in the book that she has done a tonne of secular therapy, then I am happy she wrote the book. Otherwise she has just swapped Bill Gothard and JB for MacArthur and Jeremy with no true self reflection. 

Edited by Mrs Ms
Forgot a word
  • Upvote 27
  • I Agree 10

Ooohh! Now that will hit her parents right in the theology! I wonder how the siblings will react.

• Upvote 16
  • I Agree 7

You have to give to the Vuolos though…necessity is the mother of all inventions. They need money so cooking show, kids book, this latest pile of drivel, Youtube..Work and work, those cars bills never stop coming

• Upvote 12
  • Haha 3
  • I Agree 1

3 hours ago, indianabones said:

How did I not see that? I thought the title was really awkward - it still is, but at least I get the source now!

• Upvote 3

I totally agree with the poster who said she swapped Gothard for MacArthur. Which is very common for people who grew up in cults. They swap one cult for another and think they are all better. 

• Upvote 10
  • Sad 1
  • I Agree 4

I have a bet with my friend that this book is going to paint Jermy boy in a "heroic savior" light. This book isn't going to be what we want it to be.

• Upvote 11
  • I Agree 5

I good example of swapping one cult for another is all the ex Amish that go straight to the Pearls. They snatch up the ex Amish like you wouldn’t believe. Also the people who grew up in cults are more susceptible to MLMs. That’s another type of cult in my opinion. 

• Upvote 4
  • I Agree 1

52 minutes ago, Hera said:

This whole thing stinks of Jeremy trying to beat the Dillards to the punch. 

Toally agree. Wish it was Jill, there's not going to be much honest reflection here, but it's still a very public and clear rejection of IBLP and her parents. Which I'm surprised at honestly. Can't see JIm-Bob taking it well.

Still more indication that the IBLP documentary is going to shake some things up. Trust Jeremy to get on the right side of it, though he would have had plans for something like this from the moment he met her. If the show was still going, he'd downplay the theological differences and play happy Duggars, but now this is the most profitable direction to take.

• Upvote 15

Honestly, this is a Duggar book I’d read. I’ll read it for no other reason than sending a message to other Duggars that this sells.

• Upvote 13

My first thought was ''Is she trolling us on FJ?'' If that title isn't a jab at this forum, I don't know what it is.

My second thought was... (bare with me here) maybe Jinger DID indeed grow and was able to realize the harm of her upbringing. My expectations aren't VERY high. I'm not expecting her to have become the most open-minded person in the world. Agreed with others who said she changed one following for another. The book also looks like it got ''Jeremy-is-a-perfect-savior'' all over it (which makes me wanna barf).

But if Jinger is able to break the cycle of abuse for her children, and let her daughters grow up without fear, physicial punishment or without cutting them out from society (not being in a literal cult), well for me it is a step forward. In the long run, it will be beneficial for the next generation. Baby step, but a step nonetheless? :confusion-shrug:

Edited by Vivi_music
Typo
  • Upvote 22
  • I Agree 2

Their church, for all the negatives it has and there are plenty, is not a cult.  The people there live normal lives outside the church.  Jinger is probably living life as she wants or close to what she wants.  She's free to drink, socialize, dance, use birth control, plan their family, have the children be educated and play sports, and work outside the home if she wants.  

• Upvote 13

39 minutes ago, Coconut Flan said:

Their church, for all the negatives it has and there are plenty, is not a cult.  The people there live normal lives outside the church.  Jinger is probably living life as she wants or close to what she wants.  She's free to drink, socialize, dance, use birth control, plan their family, have the children be educated and play sports, and work outside the home if she wants.  

I just wonder how hard it is for a person to go from very limited freedom and personal responsibility to having a good deal of both.

What is apparent to me about the Vuolos dynamic is that Jinger does the bulk of the “work” and income earning. So she is swimming deep in the responsibility pool. This has to be a huge adjustment for someone who was raised in an insular cocoon having daddy make all the decisions. Aside from the family show has Jinger ever worked at a job? Earned her own paycheck? Paid taxes? I know she has wiped many behinds, so that part probably is pretty familiar, but having to meet deadlines and hustle to make ends meet, that’s a huge difference for someone with her background.

Jill has it far better. She has a husband who works and supports the family, and maybe later when the boys are bigger Jill will explore outside interests and options too. Jill has a choice that Jinger does not appear to have at the moment.

• Upvote 6

• Coconut Flan locked this topic