• Thank You 1

• Coconut Flan changed the title to Jinjer 58: Going for the DMIN
6 hours ago, Father Son Holy Goat said:

DMIN?

5 hours ago, AussieKrissy said:

I am with you!??? 

I had to look it up too - Doctor of Ministry 

• Thank You 12

Honestly, until a few years ago, I did not realize there were Christian religions that forbade women from preaching. I live in the midwest and grew up Catholic with its men priests. I turned to the born again Pentecostal religion as a young adult. We had many speakers, not all were men. I was of the mistaken idea that all of the U.S. was much more progressive about women holding positions across the board in all areas, including churches, that formerly only men held.  I did not know how complementarianism pervaded some Christian faiths. I didn’t realize how many people brainwashed their kids with a homeschooled education and I continue to be appalled at how many will not teach about birth control. It seems like a throwback to decades gone by, not 2022!

One thing I appreciate about the Southern Baptist Church article is that it writes out the name “Southern Baptist Church” in its headline and does not refer to it by the initials, SBC like I’ve seen in other articles. Calling the Southern Baptist Church by its initials waters down the sex abuse scandal. I think people need to visually see the entire name so it registers with them that this is a religious “God is love” organization that is guilty of reprehensible sex crimes that they covered up. They need to see the juxtaposition of the word “church” and “sex scandal”, not camouflaging it by using SBC which does not convey the magnitude of the situation, imo. 

Edited by Cam
  • Upvote 5
  • I Agree 2

6 hours ago, Cam said:

Honestly, until a few years ago, I did not realize there were Christian religions that forbade women from preaching. I live in the midwest and grew up Catholic with its men priests. I turned to the born again Pentecostal religion as a young adult. We had many speakers, not all were men. I was of the mistaken idea that all of the U.S. was much more progressive about women holding positions across the board in all areas, including churches, that formerly only men held.  I did not know how complementarianism pervaded some Christian faiths. I didn’t realize how many people brainwashed their kids with a homeschooled education and I continue to be appalled at how many will not teach about birth control. It seems like a throwback to decades gone by, not 2022!

One thing I appreciate about the Southern Baptist Church article is that it writes out the name “Southern Baptist Church” in its headline and does not refer to it by the initials, SBC like I’ve seen in other articles. Calling the Southern Baptist Church by its initials waters down the sex abuse scandal. I think people need to visually see the entire name so it registers with them that this is a religious “God is love” organization that is guilty of reprehensible sex crimes that they covered up. They need to see the juxtaposition of the word “church” and “sex scandal”, not camouflaging it by using SBC which does not convey the magnitude of the situation, imo. 

SBC doesn't stand for "Southern Baptist Church" and it stands for Southern Baptist Convention. The SBC is a well-known acronym for the Southern Baptist Convention. The SBC is a network of churches that are tied together like the Roman Catholic churches are in a network. Saying "Southern Baptist church" implies it's one church, not the network of churches. Implying it's one church actually makes the situation sound better.

I grew up Catholic and I think women need a much more active role in church especially when it comes to leadership. It's amazing to me how that "God is love" organization has so many sex scandals and yet is still really strong in its leadership. 

Edited by Bluebirdbluebell
  • Upvote 10

Sorry I was at the hospital for tests this morning so not around to answer.  

• Love 4

38 minutes ago, Bluebirdbluebell said:

SBC doesn't stand for "Southern Baptist Church" and it stands for Southern Baptist Convention. The SBC is a well-known acronym for the Southern Baptist Convention. The SBC is a network of churches that are tied together like the Roman Catholic churches are in a network. Saying "Southern Baptist church" implies it's one church, not the network of churches. Implying it's one church actually makes the situation sound better.

I grew up Catholic and I think women need a much more active role in church especially when it comes to leadership. It's amazing to me how that "God is love" organization has so many sex scandals and yet is still really strong in its leadership. 

If it’s a well known acronym, I didn’t know it. I can’t say I’m on top of religious news and information, but if someone says “the Roman Catholic Church” I see it as all of them, not one. It’s not called the Roman Catholic Convention. To me, Southern Baptist Church meant the whole collection of them. I appreciate the correction. I always thought a convention was a large meeting and did not realize it was used to describe this entire religious denomination.  It may not be as well known an acronym as some think it is. All the more reason to write it out in its entirely. They need to be called out on their shit.

Edited by Cam
  • Upvote 2
  • I Agree 1

3 hours ago, Cam said:

If it’s a well known acronym, I didn’t know it. I can’t say I’m on top of religious news and information, but if someone says “the Roman Catholic Church” I see it as all of them, not one. It’s not called the Roman Catholic Convention. To me, Southern Baptist Church meant the whole collection of them. I appreciate the correction. I always thought a convention was a large meeting and did not realize it was used to describe this entire religious denomination.  It may not be as well known an acronym as some think it is. All the more reason to write it out in its entirely. They need to be called out on their shit.

The Roman Catholic Church is how the Roman Catholic Church choses to imply it's all of them. The South Baptist Churches chose to call themselves the Southern Baptist Convention (provided the church is affiliated with the SBC). It's how they named their organization. 

Here's some more information from wikipedia:

The Southern Baptist Convention (SBC) is a Christian denomination based in the United States. It is the world's largest Baptist denomination, and the largest Protestant and second-largest Christian denomination in the United States.

The largest Christian denomination would Roman Catholicism. There are many Baptist and Evangelical churches that are not part of the SBC. There are other networks of  Baptist and Evangelical, but the SBC is the largest and most famous.

• Upvote 2

Ugh. The mental gymnastics required to collectively panic over social justice, anti-racism, "women preachers." Sometimes it feels like it has to be parody. I mean, I know Christian celebrity is a thing, and plenty of Christians throw their allegiance to charismatic or unsavory leaders. But how in the world does someone like John MacArthur still lure people in? 

• Upvote 7
  • I Agree 3

"Let him among you who is without sin, cast the first stone."

I do not think MacArthur is going to the place he thinks he is with this sort of talk.  Actually, my idea of hell would be a place full of blowhards like him.

• Upvote 8
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, Mrs Ms said:

I really wish it was JinGer going for the DMIN and not JinJER… 

You mean that Jinger should be in a D.Min. program? That seemed so unlikely to me that I was trying to think of a guy whose name started with Ger! She’s never seemed remotely intellectual. Jessa is the one who should be doing it. I’d like for Jill to get more education too, but it’s time for her to do something secular.

• Upvote 3

32 minutes ago, QuiverFullofBooks said:

You mean that Jinger should be in a D.Min. program? That seemed so unlikely to me that I was trying to think of a guy whose name started with Ger! She’s never seemed remotely intellectual. Jessa is the one who should be doing it. I’d like for Jill to get more education too, but it’s time for her to do something secular.

Yes, I meant Jinger. Not that I think she is even remotely interested in it for herself. It just would be lovely seeing one of the Duggar women kicking arse academically despite their awful base education and modeled disdain for knowledge.

• Upvote 5

On 6/15/2022 at 9:06 PM, quiversR4hunting said:

I had to look it up too - Doctor of Ministry 

aka know as tspd 

toss pot degree!

On 6/16/2022 at 4:02 AM, Coconut Flan said:

Sorry I was at the hospital for tests this morning so not around to answer.  

Hoping all is well and sending you healing ju ju if not :) xoxo

On 6/16/2022 at 5:00 AM, Ms. Brightside said:

https://www.instagram.com/p/Ce1dk4KPDeL/?igshid=NWRhNmQxMjQ=

Jeremy’s recent Instagram post shows Jinger wearing a mic while shopping… some of the comments address it and he’s being cagey, but it seems like we can expect to see them doing some sort of new project (TV? YouTube?) soon. 

Oh fuck, My eyeballs rolled back in my head so hard I got a headache and I also threw up a little in my mouth

what have these pontificating preposterous douche canoes have to offer the world?

Shit down, shut up and go away, dick heads!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! 

PMS has made me ragey! 

• Upvote 3
  • Thank You 1

42 minutes ago, AussieKrissy said:

Hoping all is well and sending you healing ju ju if not :) xoxo

Thank you.  All negative for a change.

• Upvote 3
  • Love 10

While I do not agree with their set of beliefs, I am glad another Duggar/ adjacent is getting educated and hopefully will get a family supporting job and move out of the media limelight. 

I should say I find their beliefs aberrant. Any Christian Church that speaks ill of social justice is missing the message of Jesus Christ.

• Upvote 12

4 hours ago, SassyPants said:

I should say I find their beliefs aberrant. Any Christian Church that speaks ill of social justice is missing the message of Jesus Christ.

I've mention John Fugelsang on other threads before, he's a comedian born to a former priest and former nun, and he has studied the Bible more in-depth than many of those demanding US laws should be biblically* based. And he has frequently pointed out:

Spoiler

image.png.81e00d2db38c95690b61c768e832e8c5.png

*Their preferred edition, of course. And only their Bible should be used, no Koran or Torah based laws need apply. 

• Upvote 12
  • Haha 5

I’d love to see an actual Duggar daughter go back to school and get their education. I could see Jinger getting a liberal arts degree which she’d see as the finer things in life.

• Upvote 7
  • I Agree 1

On 6/18/2022 at 3:41 AM, Father Son Holy Goat said:

I’d love to see an actual Duggar daughter go back to school and get their education. I could see Jinger getting a liberal arts degree which she’d see as the finer things in life.

Once the kids go to school and Jeremy works for the college I dont think this is very far fetched.

Although, I don’t know if this college teaches liberal arts.

On 6/17/2022 at 3:08 PM, shesinsane said:

I've mention John Fugelsang on other threads before, he's a comedian born to a former priest and former nun, and he has studied the Bible more in-depth than many of those demanding US laws should be biblically* based. And he has frequently pointed out:

Hide contents

image.png.81e00d2db38c95690b61c768e832e8c5.png

*Their preferred edition, of course. And only their Bible should be used, no Koran or Torah based laws need apply. 

This is so correct. He is obviously right. But the part about fundies knowing it. Omg. I vaguely remember a few years back there was one group in particular of fundies who were basically doing a “no, Jesus was white” protest/media campaign. Something about how even though he was born in the Middle East he was born white as a miracle from God…? I didn’t pay much attention because it was so rage inducing. As far as fundies knowing the Bible. I have met so many atheists, agnostics, and people of other faiths that know, comprehend and can understand the Bible better than any Fundie I’ve ever encountered. 

• Upvote 5
  • WTF 1

Jana, Jenny, Jessa and Ben visited the Vuolos. I’m just curious who watched the 4 young Seewald children. My guess is the Seewald grandparents. Not the Duggars. 

• Upvote 6

Jessa is wearing black jeans. Jana is wearing jeans. Only poor Jenny is still required to wear a dress. So much for dresses being the girls’ choice. 

• Upvote 8
  • I Agree 4

4 minutes ago, Angelface said:

Jessa is wearing black jeans. Jana is wearing jeans. Only poor Jenny is still required to wear a dress. So much for dresses being the girls’ choice. 

Jenny and Hannie have always struck me as kids who would love jeans and shorts. Maybe because they had 6 older brothers and were always running around and playing with leggings under their skirts anyway. 

• Upvote 5
  • I Agree 5

• Coconut Flan locked this topic