IGNORED

Mormon Momtok Swinging Scandal

clueliss

Well this is part of TikTok that I never stumbled upon. Apparently, in the world of Mormon momtok, there has been a giant blow up of a swinging scandal. (And by swinging swimming partner swapping) and somehow at least one of the couples involved is headed for divorce. This is messy and complicated and I don’t necessarily understand all the personalities involved in this. I found this one because I follow Jordan and McKay on YouTube and they just did an episode about this.

I did however recognize the last name of one of the couples involved because some part of their extended family is friends with one of the Mormon family bloggers that I actually follow and that one had me scratching my head. (Members of the extended Munday family are friends with the Our Life in Holland family) 

• Thank You 3

I feel like swinging can turn out really bad. People often seem to get jealous and hurt. But Mormons doing it? That is a recipe for disaster. 

• Upvote 18

I stumbled across this yesterday.  I don't follow Mormon momtok influencers but the implication is that Draper, Utah is the epicenter of momtok swinging, but there is so much swinging elsewhere as well.  There is also soft swinging, which is (I think) foolin' around without penetration? 

• Upvote 6

I believe the word that’s being used in front of the word swinging is soft. Quite frankly I don’t know exactly what soft means here. The divorce seems to be coming from one of the couples involved in this because she the female in the couple apparently was involved with one of the men who had feelings for her and that she’s not married to. And this was happening outside of the two couples. There was some sort of agreement that anything that happened happened with all four members of the couples involved present.  Which all sounds messy and complicated.

which all sounds messy and complicated.

McKay and Jordan actually reviews some of the people involved and do put a disclaimer in about some of the people involved in this whole mom talk drama don’t appear to actually have been temple sealed at an LDS temple or perhaps are not technically Mormon.

• Upvote 6

2 minutes ago, Howl said:

I stumbled across this yesterday.  I don't follow Mormon momtok influencers but the implication is that Draper, Utah is the epicenter of momtok swinging, but there is so much swinging elsewhere as well.  There is also soft swinging, which is (I think) foolin' around without penetration? 

Lololol! I’ve heard so much about unmarried young Mormons being the make out masters. Since they can’t ever have sex, they just make out like crazy with lots of groping and all that. And now they are doing it after marriage with other people? That’s just hilarious. 

• Upvote 9
  • Thank You 1

I once ran across a blog written by Mormon swingers when I was doing some research for a project i was working on. They had an article on there justifying why swinging was okay and didn't count as adultery. I experienced a great deal of cognitive dissonance as I was reading at that website.

• Upvote 2
  • WTF 3
  • Haha 9

2 hours ago, JermajestyDuggar said:

Lololol! I’ve heard so much about unmarried young Mormons being the make out masters. Since they can’t ever have sex, they just make out like crazy with lots of groping and all that. And now they are doing it after marriage with other people? That’s just hilarious. 

I've also heard that one thing young unmarried Mormons in Utah are into is "soaking" as they think that if they don't move, they're technically not having intercourse and still "pure."

Jordan and McKay on "soaking"

Edited by ADoyle90815
  • Upvote 4
  • Downvote 1
  • Disgust 2
  • Thank You 2

Thank you, @clueliss. Saw this tweet thread the other day. The videos in that thread are worth checking out.

There is also a reddit sub on all of this which includes a helpful whoʻs who:  

1370219136_Momtok1.thumb.png.bd4aab8e077b0bc58595e379dc385029.png

Edited by hoipolloi
  • Sad 1
  • Haha 1
  • Thank You 1

5 hours ago, hoipolloi said:

Thank you, @clueliss. Saw this tweet thread the other day. The videos in that thread are worth checking out.

There is also a reddit sub on all of this which includes a helpful whoʻs who:  

1370219136_Momtok1.thumb.png.bd4aab8e077b0bc58595e379dc385029.png

That twitter person needs to Google 'apart vs a part.'

That is my grammar police comment of the day.

• Haha 5
  • I Agree 2

Do we know if this is for real or cooked up drama?

It sounds like the woman at the heart of it all that says she is coming clean and being transparent has a social media shtick of being dishonest.

• I Agree 2

LOL Yeah the main church is NOT going to like this. If they keep it up they'll probably be excommunicated or at least lose their Temple Recommend if they have one.

• Upvote 1

3 minutes ago, zee_four said:

LOL Yeah the main church is NOT going to like this. If they keep it up they'll probably be excommunicated or at least lose their Temple Recommend if they have one.

That's the thing. The momtok group seems Mormon-ish but not fully LDS. 

I mean, it's entirely possible that this group got drunk and played spin the bottle and things spiraled from there.

It's also possible that they aspire to celebrity status and plotted some of this out.

Or, some combination thereof.

• Upvote 3

23 hours ago, Howl said:

There is also soft swinging, which is (I think) foolin' around without penetration? 

Or soaking, which is how their kids maintain their purity until the Temple wedding.Urban dictionary defines it, but probably NSFW unless you work for a tech company.

• Eyeroll 1

58 minutes ago, Black Aliss said:

Or soaking, which is how their kids maintain their purity until the Temple wedding.Urban dictionary defines it, but probably NSFW unless you work for a tech company.

Someone up thread mentioned this particular video by Jordan McKay. I’m linking it below. It’s the one where they explain soaking.

Spoiler

• Thank You 1

Soaking is just so stupid to me. Just do oral! I’m sure it’s way more pleasurable. 

• Haha 2
  • I Agree 6

7 hours ago, noseybutt said:

Do we know if this is for real or cooked up drama?

It sounds like the woman at the heart of it all that says she is coming clean and being transparent has a social media shtick of being dishonest.

I really hope it is real, because it would be terrible to have the real life consequences and fallout I assume will come if it didn’t happen. Even if it does turn out to be fake, some people will believe it really happened and just the damage to reputation that would cause would be awful. I am actually so uncomfortable that I am going to bow out of this one.

• Upvote 2

A couple of days ago over on Reddit as I was poking around related to this, I did see speculation that perhaps probably on Taylor's part. There may be some sort of idea behind stirring all of this up to perhaps attempt to get casted over on real housewives of salt lake.

• Upvote 4

32 minutes ago, clueliss said:

A couple of days ago over on Reddit as I was poking around related to this, I did see speculation that perhaps probably on Taylor's part. There may be some sort of idea behind stirring all of this up to perhaps attempt to get casted over on real housewives of salt lake.

Or some sort of weird mixing of truth and fabrication? 

If any of this is Taylor being dishonest, that is a special kind of cruelty. In conservative religious circles, the fallout is family by family. Some are more forgiving, others less so. 

I do not know a great deal about Mormonism, but it seems like the fallout there would also be bishop by bishop.

Do Mormon communities have a way for a person to be "culturally" affiliated with the church without practicing the faith? I am thinking of how people may identify as Catholic even though they do not believe or adhere to key doctrines.

• Upvote 3

36 minutes ago, noseybutt said:

Do Mormon communities have a way for a person to be "culturally" affiliated with the church without practicing the faith?

Not officially. Youʻre supposed to be all-in though like any other denomination there are a range of believers.

The old-fashioned term for people who were raised LDS but no longer practice much if any tenets of the faith is "jack Mormon." We had an acquaintance who openly called herself a jack Mormon & certainly didn't follow the church's guidance or participate, but she was also very proud of her LDS heritage. 

• Upvote 3
  • Thank You 3

1 hour ago, noseybutt said:

Do Mormon communities have a way for a person to be "culturally" affiliated with the church without practicing the faith? I am thinking of how people may identify as Catholic even though they do not believe or adhere to key doctrines.

Yes, there are many cultural Mormons especially in Utah. What that means is someone who no longer attends or practices but has not been excommunicated and has not removed themselves from the membership rolls (aka they were baptized at age 8 and they don’t want to renounce that status even though they don’t go).

They may even have their kids blessed and baptized if they still have a priesthood holder in their family who has remained active, even though their kids don’t go.

• Upvote 1
  • Thank You 5

On 5/31/2022 at 7:57 PM, JermajestyDuggar said:

I feel like swinging can turn out really bad. People often seem to get jealous and hurt. But Mormons doing it? That is a recipe for disaster. 

I agree 100%. I don’t judge people who swing/have open marriages or whatever it’s called these days. As long as everyone involved is 18+, consenting and knows the whole truth. However, I just feel like it’s asking for trouble. I feel like monogamous relationships on their own are hard work. I feel like adding more people would complicate things. I sure as heck could never do it. 

• Upvote 4

7 minutes ago, SunnySide said:

I agree 100%. I don’t judge people who swing/have open marriages or whatever it’s called these days. As long as everyone involved is 18+, consenting and knows the whole truth. However, I just feel like it’s asking for trouble. I feel like monogamous relationships on their own are hard work. I feel like adding more people would complicate things. I sure as heck could never do it. 

Monogamy requires boundaries and trust.

Seems like non-monogamy also requires boundaries and trust multiplied by the number of people involved.

I wouldn't go looking within the influencer or reality TV world for someone with good boundaries. By definition of the job, those people do not and cannot. Add in people seeking fame precisely by being dishonest, and ouch.

Run. Run for the hills.

• Upvote 5
  • Love 1

15 hours ago, BensAllergies said:

Yes, there are many cultural Mormons especially in Utah. What that means is someone who no longer attends or practices but has not been excommunicated and has not removed themselves from the membership rolls (aka they were baptized at age 8 and they don’t want to renounce that status even though they don’t go).

They may even have their kids blessed and baptized if they still have a priesthood holder in their family who has remained active, even though their kids don’t go.

It can also just be hard to culturally get out, even with a supportive family and without living in Utah/the Morridor.

My family doesn't pressure me to go or keep standards or anything like that, but... Seven years later, here I am, still keeping all of the standards except for attending church. I no doubt could have my temple recommend renewed at any time if I would just show up, but... It's complicated. I don't believe in the scriptures any more and yet I never know what to say when people ask if I'm LDS, and the question is frequent because I still abstain from alcohol, weed, and caffeine.

• Love 8

7 hours ago, CaptainFunderpants said:

It can also just be hard to culturally get out, even with a supportive family and without living in Utah/the Morridor.

My family doesn't pressure me to go or keep standards or anything like that, but... Seven years later, here I am, still keeping all of the standards except for attending church. I no doubt could have my temple recommend renewed at any time if I would just show up, but... It's complicated. I don't believe in the scriptures any more and yet I never know what to say when people ask if I'm LDS, and the question is frequent because I still abstain from alcohol, weed, and caffeine.

Not Mormon but I get it. I had some strange beliefs drilled into me and it's hard to let go of the behavior even when the underlying belief has melted away. 

• Upvote 2