IGNORED

Bro Gary Hawkins 20: Setting Up a Tent at the Train Depot

Coconut Flan

All the schools I've taught in Illinois say the pledge of allegiance each morning.  My school usually does it over the announcements. My daughter said they did it over the announcements in high school also.  We were even told to make sure to have the pledge during remote teaching; a couple of parents complained that kids weren't saying it when we first went remote :roll:.   I won't say the "under God" part, so I put on a recording if a student didn't volunteer to lead it.  They also say the pledge at assemblies, graduations, and the local school and village board meetings.  

This comment under Gary's new profile picture made me grin.

image.png.b225cab5e4769112db7c9fe0a4a1bbc4.png

Jack, was Gary playing peek-a-boo with you or did you really wonder where he was?

• Upvote 7
  • Haha 1

Caleb's preaching on the 11th (Gary's salvation anniversary) was advertised on the In Times Like These page. It's slick advertising with a casually cool Caleb photo.  I noticed the church listed is not his family's church.

I really hope he doesn't continue going the preaching route.  

image.png.14c0c0b9fb15bb624b7ad0d6cbb015da.png

• Upvote 1
  • Eyeroll 2
  • Thank You 8

7 hours ago, thoughtful said:

You know what? You don't know much about God an' you don't know much about the bahble if you don't think goin' to church is a commandment."

But -- it isn't.  There are only ten actual commandments and none of them say anything about having to go to church or even having to regularly assemble somewhere to worship.  There is one about keeping the Sabbath holy and one about not worshiping any other gods.  There is that one about not making any graven images and I've always wondered if the "Jesus on the cross" that you see in some of these churches breaks that one.  

I guess Gary means that someone somewhere in the Bible said that you need to assemble to worship and, since the KJV Bible is the inspired word of God, that means God indirectly commanded it.  I'm not buying it.  I think Gary's just told himself this one so many times that now he believes it.

• Upvote 6

Party on, bro.

kuva.png.78c7a8b548e4288b2e71cde505569aaf.png

I was reading the Maxwell threads the other day and there was something about the eyetraps of clothing that bring men's gazes to a woman's body... in that respect I find it noteworthy that these long ties are practically arrows pointing at the genitals.

• Haha 11
  • I Agree 3

Don't forget the infamous

IT BIBLE

• Upvote 1
  • Haha 6
  • I Agree 1

Becky crossposts things from other women with "side hustles." Here's the latest:

Spoiler

image.png.4a3627987fc4bd0b93eb12a398555370.png

Earrings for those evil people who teach your child that boys have to want to be girls, and vice versa, and might pray an atheist prayer over them.

She also posted the video of the memorial service for Albert Adamkowski, the man who drowned while saving his daughter.

17 hours ago, Xan said:

But -- it isn't.  There are only ten actual commandments

And even that depends on your point of view. The 10 that Moses came down with the second time, after he broke the first set, are not the ones with which most people are familiar. There are also a bunch of other versions scattered throughout the bible, and lots of other commandments.

Still, I'm pretty sure that "you must go to a building that is formally designated as a place of worship" is not in any of them, and certainly not that anyone must attend four services weekly.

17 hours ago, Xan said:

I guess Gary means that someone somewhere in the Bible said that you need to assemble to worship and, since the KJV Bible is the inspired word of God, that means God indirectly commanded it.

He always quotes Hebrews 10:25:

Not forsaking the assembling of ourselves together, as the manner of some is; but exhorting one another: and so much the more, as ye see the day approaching.

And when someone points out that it could mean in someone's home, and, at the time it was written, probably did, Gary throws a hissy fit.

• Thank You 4

But, but, if people pray at their homes and Gary's not involved, who's gonna give him his love offerings?

Edited by AmazonGrace
  • Upvote 9

6 minutes ago, thoughtful said:

And even that depends on your point of view. The 10 that Moses came down with the second time, after he broke the first set, are not the ones with which most people are familiar.

I'd forgotten all about those.  For anyone who isn't familiar, here they are:

1. No covenant with the inhabitants of the land (If the Lord is driving out the previous inhabitants, don't try to get to know them!)

2. Destroy all pagan worship places

3. No Idolatry

4. Keep the Feasts of Unleavened Bread

5. First born males belong to God (This one seems to mean to sacrifice the firstborn male of any livestock.)

6. Keep the Sabbath on 7th day even in plowing and harvest.

7. Men to appear thrice a year before God

8. No leavened sacrifice or leaving the Passover until morning

9. Bring first fruits to house of the LORD

10. Don’t boil a young goat in it’s mother’s milk (This was the weirdest of the bunch.)

I wonder if Gary knows about this second set?

• Upvote 1
  • Thank You 4

Spoiler

7. Men to appear thrice a year before God

So it's okay if men go to church three times a year but women are off the hook?

9. Bring first fruits to house of the LORD

I'm not a farmer so how do I tell which fruits in the supermarket are the first?

10. Don’t boil a young goat in it’s mother’s milk

Pretty sure this is one commandment that I have been able to keep.

2. Destroy all pagan worship places

Is Stonehenge still standing?

• Upvote 1
  • Haha 9

2 hours ago, Xan said:

10. Don’t boil a young goat in it’s mother’s milk (This was the weirdest of the bunch.)

Which somehow morphed into all of the laws of kashrut (keeping kosher), and variations on the following joke, which, to me, always epitomized the side of human nature that leads some people to needlessly complicate things and need a million rules, as fundies do:

"OK, Moses," said God. "Here's another commandment: Don’t boil a kid in its mother’s milk.”
“You mean, don’t eat meat and milk together?”
“No. Don’t boil a kid in its mother’s milk.”
“You mean we should have separate dishes for meat and dairy?”
“No. Don’t boil a kid in its mother’s milk.”
“You mean we should wait a few hours after eating meat before we eat dairy?”
“Moses,” said God,”do whatever the hell you want.”

• Upvote 1
  • Haha 14

On 7/12, under the tent at Cornerstone Baptist in Salem Il, Gary finally got around to reading from the bible.

https://www.biblegateway.com/passage/?search=1+John+5%3A6-14&version=KJV

He stumbles and fumbles horribly through this, changing lots of words and even whole phrases, and needing to re-read verse 12.

"Now we look here in first John it talks a lots about love an' ah wanna say somethin' to ya, here's what love does: Jesus loves us enough that whenever we do somethin' wrong he corrects us. Jesus loves us enough that whenever we do stuff raht he blesses us amen? An' whenever you know he loves us enough that he sent his son knowin' what we would do Romans chapter fahv in verse eight says 'But Gahhd-ah commended his love to-ward us that whahl we were yet sinners Chrast dahd fer us."

Gary blurts out a bunch of fragments about another verse:

"Ah mean hey you go t'John is it John uh - ah b'lieve it's the last - gittin' close to th'last chapters of John, uh - ah don' know exactly offhand let us it's John chapter 2 at the beginning . . ."

Captions:

Spoiler

image.png.8000d1623cd3b8742a93312b7cf0f73b.png

" . . . of John, an' he said 'He knew what was in men, an' he still loved us enough that he dahd on the old rugged cross amen? An' with the helpa th'Lord, ah wanna preach ohn just a little bit ohn How Ah Know Ah'm Saved now ah wanna ah'm gonna give a little bitta mah testimony tonaht listen hey - it's good t'know yer saved, amen?"

And he stumbles on barking out fragments about how testimonies are good, and everyone who is saved remembers exactly how Jesus "dealt with yer heart, He pricked yer heart, He drawed you - hey, the bahble says you cain't git saved until He draws you, amen?"

Gary re-reads some verses, and says "Ah wish to goodness we could get some Baptist preachers to agree."

The captions, as they often do, have some trouble with the way he says "Baptist," not to mention some other words:

Spoiler

image.png.328a09cd7683e7df60d98d9559d973e1.png

Gary zooms through the usual chant of the story of his salvation. As he screams about the parts of his history that he will discuss, he says that, since his Daddy was a missionary, they went on deputation.

Captions:

Spoiler

image.png.ead9652399b490aeac400e98fb8d8e91.png

If only. Although I don't hate any country enough to wish Gary on them.

While screaming about how someone like him, who used to play church, does more damage than the drunk on the street who doesn't know any better, it reminds him of something he must have heard recently.

"The preacher was talkin' about a family that comes to church here - ah don't know their names so he ain't got t'worry 'bout mentionin' anything, an' just what - what they were, the condition they was in, an' then here the years later, now they're in church, amen!"

Great, Gary - that should make whoever it is really comfortable in church.

"Ah actually believe that God almost uh can work better with people a whole lot better with somebody that don't know nothin', amen? Ah b'lieve that's what's wrong with America - we got - in the religion - listen, hey, what religion does is sendya t'Hell, amen? Listen, ever'body wants t'talk about how bad Catholics are an' their religion is bad amen, Jehovah's Witnesses an' Mawminism an' all that, but we got a lotta Baptists 'at's got a lotta religion that's gotta drop some of it, amen."

Captions:

Spoiler

image.png.6bf89a835a15bf4bff622d70c18fb514.png

While screaming about how he doesn't like the Sinner's Prayer, Gary makes sure to back that up with the bible:

"Mattera fact when you go to Romans chapter nahn verses tin an' nahn, or tin, verses nahn an' tin, it says  . . . "

I clearly remember typing that out at least once before. I think it's one of those things Gary frequently reverses, like Timothy and Paul, or sow and reap.

"Because for - here's what happened - for almost 25 years - mah wahf says ah need to calculate mah thing - "

And he goes on to reiterate when he was saved - he knows it happened because he was there.

I just couldn't resist letting you all know that his wife thinks he needs to calculate his thing.

After a good long shriek about how anyone who isn't saved is going to Hell, Gary announces another reading. I am not shrieking, but I am announcing another post to continue this recap.

Edited by thoughtful
misplaced punctuation
  • Haha 2
  • Thank You 7

@thoughtful, I once quoted that anecdote about boiling a kid in its mother’s milk in another forum, and some extremely religious people were *not* happy with me. Gee, I thought it was funny. (One of my favorite books is “The Big Book of Jewish Humor.”)

• Upvote 5

Continuing  7/12, under the tent at Cornerstone Baptist in Salem Il, Gary reads: And when he thus had spoken, he cried with a loud voice, Lazarus, come forth.

Except, of course, he says "Lazaruth."

Gary knows he's saved because he was called. And he repeats much of the routine about his pre-salvation "playing church" habits. He said you can ask his preacher from that time, but "he's gittin' altahmers so ah don't know how much he remembers."

While describing the vision God gave him of himself frying in Hell "like sausage," Gary says "Ah looked on the  ___________ ." It sounds to me like "alvelidian." The captions say

Spoiler

image.png.bbf14d1e28ccbd59172150993e59e026.png

It's at about 16:34, if anyone wants to try to figure it out.

He announces and reads Galations 3:20: "Now a mediator is not a mediator of one, but God is one. That's ain't what ah wanted . . . " Mumbling and noises. "It's here somewhere, just give me just a second here." Long silence. "Two? Yeah, verses chapter two, sorry 'bout that." He mumbles about "Fix it raht now, just in case ah ever preach this again," and makes them wait some more while he corrects it in his planning notebook.

"Twunny - chapter 2.

https://www.biblegateway.com/passage/?search=galatians+2%3A20&version=KJV

He says "nevertheleth" instead of nevertheless, but does OK otherwise.

He does his old bit asking what you would need to hide or change in your house if Jesus was coming to visit. Unlike Santa Claus, Jesus always knows what you've been up to, without making a list. "Jesus Chrast will never have altahmers."

Gary yells about how Jesus is always in him.

https://www.biblegateway.com/passage/?search=2+corinthians+5%3A17&version=KJV

"He moved insahda me an' changed mah lahf."

Gary blabs on about the church his Daddy started in Watertown SD years ago, and the "Indian man" who came to their house every week for supper, then stagger drunkenly to "AAA."

"AAA wadn't workin', ya say 'Wha?'"

I've told you before, Gary, because it's an auto club. Now you even belong to it - take our your wallet and look at the card.

He screams a bunch of standard Garyvomit about how being saved changes people. He talks about not wanting to look at things that might "hurt Jesus," and works up to his bit about blinders on horses:

"How many of you remember ah ah ah'm not that old mah Daddy did mah Daddy is, ah'm not that old but whenever ah come around they started havin' uh tractors an' things but ah've heard mah Daddy talk about stories of usin' cow - uh uh ah mean usin' horses an' mules t'plow th'gardens up an' th'fields an' the farms an' things, an' they had blahnders on the horses so they'd go straight insteada goin' _________" (sounds like "crissit"). Anybody?

The captions struggle a bit:

Spoiler

image.png.98c134f7362936e34fae5d4d3ccae9fa.png

image.png.48880a7ab0aebe79b4ecd21035fef715.png

Gary yells that, when he got saved, the inner man changed, but the outer man didn't. After an attempt at his joke about how hard it is for a Baptist to lose weight, he says that when the inner man changes, the outer man starts to change.

Make up your mind, Gary.

Gary says he loves his last name. "'Specially when ah go out on the Indian reservations an' ah hear names lahk hey God ah said 'Man, ah love mah name, amen."

Lovely, Gary.

"You know what, it would be a embarrassment thing for me t'go aroun' the worl' ah go aroun', 'cause mah Daddy is not only mah Daddy he's mah pasture as well, it would be a shame fer me t'go aroun' an' make a mawk of Hawkins, wouldn' it?"

All together now: Too late!

Gary goes into a wild, incoherent routine pretending he's badmouthing the pastor, I think to make a point about how they are different, but both want to be pleasing to Jesus. I thought he was done, but then he starts again, with a ramble that I think is referring to the day they put up the tent:

"Ah'm not pickin' ohn Brother Hicks or whatever, but uh, y'know, they didn't do as much as ah did, but Jacob did a whole lot more'n the rest of us did, ah could git mad, ah bless God he don't need him havin' me come back, they wadn't they just looked at me an' watched me! Maybe bah tomorrow naht he's learned enough to help, amen."

Women laugh, one says, "He's a good supervisor." Gary agrees.

Gary says something about whether or not that will work when he goes back to work, a man says "Watchman on the wall," and Gary laughs.

Spoiler

image.png.a969849219b9bfa9f6da2d5129773046.png

More familiar stuff about being changed, then:

https://www.biblegateway.com/passage/?search=1+John+5%3A13&version=KJV

Another reason Gary knows he's saved: "He saved me an' now he keeps me."

He does his usual stuff about people who believe you can lose your salvation, including the oft-cited teenaged Wesleyan boys from South Dakota.

https://www.biblegateway.com/passage/?search=ephesians+2%3A1-2&version=KJV

Gary knows he's saved because "He came to me an' made me - give me lahf. Amen. Ah'm not dead anymore, listen hey whenever ah day if the part hangs around, just lahk the preacher frienda mahn in New York that just dahd last Frahdee, his body dahd, but he just started livin' when he got t'Heaven."

He does his old bit about hating people before he got saved.

"Ah used t'go to a skatin' ring in North Carolahna years ago when ah was ah guess in mah early 20s whatever, an' you would be voted ohn for them people whether they wanted you t'be part of the skatin' ring crowd or what, or you could be black balled."

Captions:

Spoiler

image.png.895419ac313a0ee64957f32ef72e02dd.png

Gary was never black balled, but he knew some that were.

I'm just trying to picture Gary, even a younger version of Gary, skating.

He does a bit of needing to pray for Joe Biden, and love him, even if you don't like him. "You say 'How'na world you gonna pray for somebody that doin' our country lahk 'at? Listen, hey, you think you can do a whole lot better, go on up there an' trah it."

Gary, did you mean that? Did you forget who you were talking about?

I'll meet you at Romans chapter six, "verses" 23.

Edited by thoughtful
riffle
  • Haha 2
  • Thank You 7

15 minutes ago, thoughtful said:

if the part hangs around

That gave me a mental picture of Gary’s, um, parts, staying visible while the rest of him was no longer around. Not at all what he intended.

From context, I think the indecipherable word relating to horses is meant to be “crooked.” As with most of Gary’s stories, I have a hard time figuring out how that story relates to his overall message. I often have to read these summaries multiple times and still can’t connect the dots. When I dare to actually listen to him, he makes sense for brief periods, but overall it’s a lot of blather and repetition. For all his travels, his life experience is extremely limited, and his memory is selective. 

• Upvote 3
  • I Agree 2

1 hour ago, Hane said:

@thoughtful, I once quoted that anecdote about boiling a kid in its mother’s milk in another forum, and some extremely religious people were *not* happy with me. Gee, I thought it was funny. (One of my favorite books is “The Big Book of Jewish Humor.”)

That's where I first read it.

16 minutes ago, postscript said:

That gave me a mental picture of Gary’s, um, parts, staying visible while the rest of him was no longer around.

Me, too - sorry about that image. Sort of a sick version of the Cheshire Cat.

16 minutes ago, postscript said:

From context, I think the indecipherable word relating to horses is meant to be “crooked.” As with most of Gary’s stories, I have a hard time figuring out how that story relates to his overall message

That was partly my fault, this time, and probably has been at other times, as well. He went on to say that some Baptists need blinders on, to stay on the straight and narrow. That's why he brings up horse blinders. At least he's learned they are blinders, not blindfolds. For now.

I sometimes leave out things I know I've posted many times, to focus on the ridiculous or some new error (like the cow in that one!). And that means I often leave out whatever Gary's point was (if he did have one - sometimes he does just get lost).

I think you're right about "crooked." I was thinking it was supposed to be "crisscross" or something like that, and just wasn't hearing it - but now I hear "crickit," which is what "crooked" would sound like with Gary's accent and habit of swallowing words at the ends of phrases.

Edited by thoughtful
missing word
  • Upvote 7

Gary found a little church to yell at tomorrow.  This was the weekend he had a free spot he was trying to fill due to a cancellation.  He's praying the will will help him get what they need (maybe gas?). 

image.thumb.png.603d0571d2d4f6610083165489b55a75.png

Edited by Joyster
Removed random screenshot
  • Upvote 1
  • Thank You 4

11 minutes ago, thoughtful said:

That was partly my fault, this time, and probably has been at other times, as well. He went on to say that some Baptists need blinders on, to stay on the straight and narrow. That's why he brings up horse blinders. At least he's learned they are blinders, not blindfolds. For now.

I sometimes leave out things I know I've posted many times, to focus on the ridiculous or some new error (like the cow in that one!). And that means I often leave out whatever Gary's point was (if he did have one - sometimes he does just get lost).

Gary has told most of these stories so many times that I think he sometimes inadvertently leaves out the punch line.

I find if I listen to him, he sounds like he's making sense in the short run, but his messages as a whole lack logic and coherence. They're just a bunch of disconnected phrases and anecdotes. The interest is in whatever he says about his day-to-day life (and even that has to be inferred, as Gary is not a reliable narrator). 

2 minutes ago, Joyster said:

Gary found a little church to yell at tomorrow.  This was the weekend he had a free spot he was trying to fill due to a cancellation.  He's praying the will will help him get what they need (maybe gas?). 

image.thumb.png.603d0571d2d4f6610083165489b55a75.png

The missing word is probably "Lord" (or "LORD" in Garyspeak). Only Gary would leave out the key word in the sentence. 

• Upvote 4
  • I Agree 3

1 hour ago, thoughtful said:

It sounds to me like "alvelidian."

I can't make it out either.  Maybe it's something like, "I leaned in and...".  I find that story odd anyway.  I wonder if he was hung over or something.  He's just sitting there, not really paying much attention, and looks out the back door of the church and sees himself burning in hell (or frying like a sausage, depending on which way he tells it).  It doesn't sound so much like being touched by the Spirit as much as it sounds like he was having a hallucination.  

I don't understand the skating story either.  I'm older than Gary and I remember being at skating rinks.  That's the sort of cheap entertainment that you could find not far from some rural areas.  Nobody blackballed anyone.  You paid admission and you skated.  Lots of time we went as a church group or sometimes as a school group.  It was really geared more for teenagers and you didn't see many people in their twenties skating.  Anyway, wouldn't he have been married in his twenties?

• Upvote 5

On 7/11/2022 at 4:14 AM, MayMay1123 said:

I think that he believes Mormons worship Joseph Smith, rather than Jesus. Jesus came back from the dead, but Joseph Smith can't? But if he did, then why would they leave Mormonism? Wouldn't that prove... something? 

I doubt he realizes Mormons are members of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-Day Saints. In a different note there's been some push in the LDS church to have members call the selves LDS not Mormons to try to help battle this misconception. I think it'd just move goal posts for the target audience and they still won't see LDS as Christian. I'm not familiar with that general belief but I'm half Polynesian who grew up in the Intermountain West, and even lived in Utah. But I hear its common in the Bible Belt area. 

Edited by zee_four
Grammar off in the church title
  • Upvote 5

11 hours ago, Joyster said:

He's praying the will will help him get what they need (maybe gas?). 

11 hours ago, postscript said:

The missing word is probably "Lord" (or "LORD" in Garyspeak). Only Gary would leave out the key word in the sentence. 

Definitely a very Gary thing to do.

@Joyster, going by past experience, I'm pretty sure Gary is referring to God giving the inspiration for his message. Although I'm sure some gas, and meals, and a place to stay would be welcome.

9 hours ago, Xan said:

I find that story odd anyway.  I wonder if he was hung over or something.  He's just sitting there, not really paying much attention, and looks out the back door of the church and sees himself burning in hell (or frying like a sausage, depending on which way he tells it).  It doesn't sound so much like being touched by the Spirit as much as it sounds like he was having a hallucination.  

Really. Either that, or he's making the whole thing up, or embellishing a fleeting thought he had because he needed a "testimony." If he really had such an experience, I wish he'd let down his guard and fill in some more details.

9 hours ago, Xan said:

I don't understand the skating story either.  I'm older than Gary and I remember being at skating rinks.  That's the sort of cheap entertainment that you could find not far from some rural areas.  Nobody blackballed anyone.  You paid admission and you skated.  Lots of time we went as a church group or sometimes as a school group.  It was really geared more for teenagers and you didn't see many people in their twenties skating.  Anyway, wouldn't he have been married in his twenties?

Some of the confusion may be my fault, again - this was a new addition to Gary's usual routine about "cliques" and how bad they are. He went on, as usual, to talk about how, when he was not yet saved, he wouldn't let people in to his little churchy club (which I'm pretty sure existed only in his mind, and nobody was clamoring to be Gary's friend).

As to the idea of some people who skated there forming a clique and barring others, I can see that happening, informally, just because of human nature. Hangouts, even businesses, can turn into someone's "turf" if there are enough meanies around. And, let's face it, Gary is hardly mature. So his still being part of that culture into his 20s, a married man with children, is possible.

It's Gary - who knows? Maybe we need to make that an acronym, like TIJWTA; IGWK?

9 hours ago, zee_four said:

In a different note there's been some push in the LDS church to have members call the selves LDS not Mormons to try to help battle this misconception

I just read something about that now reversing, and more and more people being OK with being called "Mormon" again. I can't find the article now - sorry.

Anyway, the change was official - President Nelson said so in 2018, and that means it came directly from God.

https://www.churchofjesuschrist.org/church/news/mormon-is-out-church-releases-statement-on-how-to-refer-to-the-organization?lang=eng

https://www.sltrib.com/religion/2018/10/08/commentary-dont-call/

Edited by thoughtful
removing factual error
  • I Agree 1
  • Thank You 4

I find Gary so hard to understand sometimes but I am comforted that even native speakers have trouble.

• Upvote 6

3 hours ago, thoughtful said:

@Joyster, going by past experience, I'm pretty sure Gary is referring to God giving the inspiration for his message. Although I'm sure some gas, and meals, and a place to stay would be welcome.

I agree, and the prayers for message inspiration just aren't working, are they?

I had Grace Baptist's service on mute with closed captioning while I was working on something else.  He does mention  his truck loving diesel gas in the sermon (but of course, he doesn't complain that he has to pay $1 more), so maybe that's his divine inspiration.  I couldn't resist taking a screenshot of this:

938616745_Screenshot2022-07-1710_58_56AM.png.d069fe42682ab4d35c0fac4278c4a0ed.png

I can't wait to see what you do with that!  Context: he was talking about preachers needing fellowship and encouragement.  Maybe the word was pity, and next he went into his bit about the congregation getting off their high horses.  I didn't want to turn the sound on and have your commentary ruined for me, so I didn't find out what he actually was saying.

• Upvote 1
  • Haha 6

6 minutes ago, Joyster said:

I agree, and the prayers for message inspiration just aren't working, are they?

Inspiration to help people in their faith journey, no. Inspiration to give us laughs and reasons to snark abound, though.

Hey, maybe we're the real recipients of God's favor!

9 minutes ago, Joyster said:

I can't wait to see what you do with that! 

Pit pee, eh? I am going to have self-control, and finish the stuff from Cornerstone first. I think they may have done the popcorn preaching on the last night, because Gary's video is only 18 minutes long.

2 hours ago, AmazonGrace said:

I find Gary so hard to understand sometimes but I am comforted that even native speakers have trouble.

I'm not sure that even those of us who speak English as our first language, even those of us in the US, even the southern US, qualify as "native speakers" of whatever it is that rattles around in Gary's brain.

I think only Gary speaks native Weenese.

• Haha 8

I grew up speaking rural Southern.  I can still decipher most of it.  For example:  "Djeet?"  (Did you eat?), "At un riaht ther" (That one right there), "He ain't got ary one" (He hasn't got a single one), and "I ont know" (I don't know).  Gary's Weenese goes so many levels above that that frequently I can't understand him.  With Gary, you have the rural Southern speech along with the general mental disorder and the inability to follow a complete line of thought.  I'm still always surprised when he gets invited back to churches.

• Upvote 10

29 minutes ago, thoughtful said:

Pit pee, eh? I am going to have self-control,

I have no self control; it's good I don't have chocolate in the house right now.  When the live video went back, I went back and listened on the full screen.  So he was talking about having fellowship with other preachers and not getting concerned about agreeing about all the little things.  I think he said as long as you get the main doctrine right (the Bible), then "phooey on your little horse, uh, your little pet peeve. Amen!" 

The CC on full screen just gets worse.  It reads like he is trying to name the parts that were hanging around a couple of sermons ago.  I'll go to the closet.  I didn't listen to any other parts.

image.png.9fe3b10ed7821476db225b4d73be15c9.png

• Haha 7

• samurai_sarah locked, unlocked and locked this topic