IGNORED

Upcoming Babies 23: More and More Fundies

Coconut Flan

54 minutes ago, JermajestyDuggar said:

Hannah and Jer broke the boy streak of Duggars. They are having a girl.

Pretty short streak compared to the girls. I know we strongly suspect that Kendra had another baby but are we sure it’s a boy?

• Upvote 3

5 minutes ago, justmy2cents said:

Pretty short streak compared to the girls. I know we strongly suspect that Kendra had another baby but are we sure it’s a boy?

In the 1 photo I saw, I remember thinking boy d/t a darker colored blanket and the absence of a head bow. Now in my family that wouldn’t be indicative of anything, but these are Duggars, so…

• Upvote 3
  • I Agree 2

I think it was speculated Lauren and Kendra both had boys. So it’s only a streak of 5. In other families, it would seem like a long streak. But with the Duggars, it’s a short streak. 

• Upvote 8
  • I Agree 3

Ugh, another girl in that family. I wish them all well. Have they said when Hannah is due?

Edited by anjulibai
  • Upvote 6

Sarah Shearer, Morton adjacent fundie on IG just had her 2nd., Isaac.  He appears to have the same congenital arm issues that she has (I believe she has phocomelia).  

• Upvote 3
  • Thank You 2

1 hour ago, JMO said:

I believe she has phocomelia

I wonder if she has a radial ray anomaly. Her humerus (and that of the baby) looks reasonably normal and she has the short curved sort of forearms and finger anomalies I've seen with radial ray syndromes.

I noticed that she posted about hidden hardships/choosing joy with a 3D image of a fetus on her instagram around the time when she might have had an anatomy ultrasound. I wonder if she had just been informed that her child shared her abnormality. When these sorts of things are identified in my area, there would be a discussion with the woman to find out what she wanted but two things that would be offered are: referral to a tertiary care centre for further evaluation/genetic counselling or termination of the pregnancy. While her limb abnormality might be an isolated thing, it can't have been easy for her to find out that her son has the same abnormality as her.

• Upvote 7

9 hours ago, browngrl said:

When these sorts of things are identified in my area, there would be a discussion with the woman to find out what she wanted but two things that would be offered are: referral to a tertiary care centre for further evaluation/genetic counselling or termination of the pregnancy.

If any such discussion happened within two counties of Sarah, I guarantee you we will soon have a lengthy blog post about how feminists want her, personally, dead, and that's why "college" and "jobs" are LIES from the PIT OF HELL! 

• Upvote 6
  • I Agree 3

11 hours ago, NachosFlandersStyle said:

If any such discussion happened within two counties of Sarah, I guarantee you we will soon have a lengthy blog post about how feminists want her, personally, dead, and that's why "college" and "jobs" are LIES from the PIT OF HELL! 

She sees midwives so they definitely weren't having that discussion - I would assume there was a discussion about God provides and she will be the best role model for her son. Except in patriarchal cults a son with a limitation on his ability to do manual labor is going to be an issue for Mrs "All Education is the Devil". Outside their cult, it wouldn't be anything. 

• Upvote 5

11 hours ago, NachosFlandersStyle said:

I guarantee you we will soon have a lengthy blog post about how feminists want her, personally, dead, and that's why "college" and "jobs" are LIES from the PIT OF HELL! 

Speaking of lies, in the midst of rejoicing in her son's safe birth, Sarah took time to post some nonsense about how taking BC pills for medical reasons leads to infertility. 

1144143311_Liesfromfundies.thumb.png.85d84d88417e3437a2c4d122f73fcdad.png

• Upvote 1
  • Disgust 5
  • Eyeroll 9
  • WTF 1

The BC pill is the only reason my mom was able to conceive me. She was put on it to even her system out. 

So, fuck you Sarah.

• Upvote 12
  • Love 1

So will Sarah double down and keep having babies every other year? Does Isaac change the way they expand their family? I have a friend who wanted more than two children but after having a child with special needs, they decided they were done. Because of all the time and money needed for appointments and therapies. Isaac will probably need to attend a lot more appointments than his older sister (I’m thinking occupational therapy appts). And if this is genetic, will she have 5 more children with her condition and need to be taken to occupational therapy appts too? That’s the problem with the quiverful mentality. Some children require much more time, money, effort and we all have our limits. Will her children be neglected because she decides to keep having child after child even though the family is already at their limit? 

• Upvote 8

1 hour ago, JermajestyDuggar said:

So will Sarah double down and keep having babies every other year? Does Isaac change the way they expand their family? I have a friend who wanted more than two children but after having a child with special needs, they decided they were done. Because of all the time and money needed for appointments and therapies. Isaac will probably need to attend a lot more appointments than his older sister (I’m thinking occupational therapy appts). And if this is genetic, will she have 5 more children with her condition and need to be taken to occupational therapy appts too? That’s the problem with the quiverful mentality. Some children require much more time, money, effort and we all have our limits. Will her children be neglected because she decides to keep having child after child even though the family is already at their limit? 

You're assuming she's going to get OT at all, I'd say the latter. She's hard core in the Kool aid, she's not about to stop now. If anything, I'd see her doubling down and having a 3rd faster. 

• Upvote 10
  • Rufus Bless 1
  • I Agree 1

I doubt Sarah will access PT/OT for her son. I doubt she will consider limiting the size of her family to give more time to a child with a disability. 

I feel sorry for this child. In the fundie world many of the men seem to choose physical jobs eg construction, plumber, electrician, farmer , lawn care etc but these sorts of jobs will be difficult with the arm anomalies. He will be getting SOTDRT education so non physical jobs will likely also be challenging for him. How will he support a SAHW + family?

Sarah's gone private so I suspect she is reading here and so to her I say: 1. make sure your son gets the therapy he needs. 2. make sure he gets a proper education. 3. get genetic counselling to help you decide your family size given the increased resources a special needs child will need to thrive. 4. It is ok to do these things because God helps those who help themselves

• Upvote 17
  • I Agree 1

On 10/11/2022 at 11:48 AM, browngrl said:

I noticed that she posted about hidden hardships/choosing joy with a 3D image of a fetus on her instagram around the time when she might have had an anatomy ultrasound.

I would never propose to tell her what the right choice for her is regarding this sort of pregnancy issue. But the compulsive self-gaslighting is one of the most insidious parts of Evangelical Christianity: “choose joy,” because anything less is disrespecting and being unthankful to Jesus.

For me, “choosing forgiveness” of my controlling, abusive, functioning alcoholic husband kept me feeling trapped in a cage for almost 20 years. But I thought I was honoring God, demonstrating love to God, by choosing to forgive over and over and over, for the same things. Sick. 

• Upvote 9
  • Love 19

If Sarah/(Isaac) don’t get genetic counseling and continue to procreate, they are IRRESPONSIBLE! 

• Upvote 4
  • Fuck You 1
  • Downvote 3
  • Rufus Bless 1

To be clear I think it's perfectly reasonable to continue having kids knowing that some may have what appears to be a relatively harmless condition. But the fact that others might choose differently clearly drives Sarah bonkers, and you just know that kid is going to be raised with a bizarre "you know, SOME people might have aborted you!" message. Or trotted out to hold awful signs at clinics or something. 

• Upvote 12
  • Disgust 1
  • Sad 1

3 minutes ago, NachosFlandersStyle said:

To be clear I think it's perfectly reasonable to continue having kids knowing that some may have what appears to be a relatively harmless condition. But the fact that others might choose differently clearly drives Sarah bonkers, and you just know that kid is going to be raised with a bizarre "you know, SOME people might have aborted you!" message. Or trotted out to hold awful signs at clinics or something. 

I hate when fundies use their children as props. I’ve seen fundie moms with children with a Down syndrome diagnosis post publicly while using their child to prove a point. That they are showing off how godly they are because they didn’t abort. Barf. 

• Upvote 12
  • Sad 1

I don’t know Sarah, but I know that loving a child can change you.  Perhaps loving this particular child will change Sarah in ways that make her a better mother to him. We can hope. 

• Upvote 1
  • Rufus Bless 1

I always assumed that Sarah's limb differences were due to thalidomide exposure, since she was adopted from Russia. But going off of what Google tells me, it was never prescribed there to pregnant women (and other countries stopped prescribing it for morning sickness in the 60's, anyways.)

What sort of inheritable condition causes syndactyly and phocomelia? Isaac had some fingers fused together in the photo Sarah posted.

• Thank You 1

10 hours ago, indianabones said:

I always assumed that Sarah's limb differences were due to thalidomide exposure, since she was adopted from Russia. But going off of what Google tells me, it was never prescribed there to pregnant women (and other countries stopped prescribing it for morning sickness in the 60's, anyways.)

What sort of inheritable condition causes syndactyly and phocomelia? Isaac had some fingers fused together in the photo Sarah posted.

Yeah everyone who was exposed to thalidomide is likely past childbearing years now. Thankfully they seemed to figure out the problem after a few years. Of course is was still too long. But after a few years the evidence was so obvious that it couldn’t be refuted and it was pulled. 

1 hour ago, sleepygirl1 said:

Did she go private? I can’t see anything.

Yes. She probably saw we were talking about her. 

• Upvote 3

5 hours ago, JermajestyDuggar said:

Yeah everyone who was exposed to thalidomide is likely past childbearing years now. Thankfully they seemed to figure out the problem after a few years. Of course is was still too long. But after a few years the evidence was so obvious that it couldn’t be refuted and it was pulled. 

Unfortunately, that's not quite true- thalidomide is currently prescribed to treat leprosy in Latin American and Asia. It's still being taken by pregnant women who don't know that it can cause birth defects.

• Upvote 1
  • Sad 4

@indianabonesit is still used but only prescribed to women of child bearing age on two forms of birth control and with very graphic warnings about impact on pregnancy.  It's also borderline miraculous in the treatment of leprosy 

• Upvote 8
  • Thank You 3

• Bethella locked and unpinned this topic