IGNORED

Carlin & Evan 11: Scary Health Situation

samurai_sarah

Gil and Kelly kept having kids that they couldn’t afford so I think they are long practiced in ignoring their children’s needs. I know absolutely no one who would keep having kids if, for example, they could not provide them with health insurance.

The interesting thing is that even Jill Dillard mentioned that her mother helped her during her recent gallbladder issues so Michelle had stepped up even if it is far too late. 

Despite fundies thinking they are the epitome of family values, there is a marked lack of care in many of these families.

• Upvote 23
  • I Agree 3

7 hours ago, neuroticcat said:

I have to think their youtube is a significant source of income. I mean, I know I'm of an older generation, but I can't think anyone would continuously post private medical details like filming the seizures without it begin profitable. The reality TV/attention culture can't cross over that far.

Based on their average view count and YouTube metrics, they are making somewhere between $5-8k a month from YouTube. An exact number is hard because a lot of it depends on what kind of ads you are getting plus how many people are watching the ads. But Carlin and Evan are averaging almost 200k views per video, so by all metrics, YouTube is very profitable for them. 

As for insurance, if Evan is covered by a Union, would it possible for him to keep paying his Union dues and stay a member even when he isn't currently employed? 

• Upvote 7
  • Thank You 3

I wouldn’t be surprised to hear that all these folks have a Christian Health Ministry form of HC. The older Bates didn’t have any HCI when their oldest kids were little and per Gil just dropped into the ER when they needed care. I’m not sure these people understand the financial gravity of illness and meeting medical needs, and the necessity of solid health care insurance for a growing family.

• Upvote 5
  • I Agree 3

31 minutes ago, SassyPants said:

I wouldn’t be surprised to hear that all these folks have a Christian Health Ministry form of HC. The older Bates didn’t have any HCI when their oldest kids were little and per Gil just dropped into the ER when they needed care. I’m not sure these people understand the financial gravity of illness and meeting medical needs, and the necessity of solid health care insurance for a growing family.

Agree. With Gil & Kelly it "worked," because they had so many children and relatively low income so they would always qualify for charity care if not state insurance (not sure what TN has). 

They will learn fast that ER-as-health-care is not an option for small families with relatively good income.

• Upvote 8

41 minutes ago, SassyPants said:

If the Stewarts do have some type of Christian Health Ministry healthcare, it must be working fantastically well for them. They have spent way more time than an average family in the ER and at doctors in the last two years. If they are presenting themselves as private pay, they are seeing the bills and know what the cost of healthcare is. I believe Evan had health insurance through his employer, or as someone else suggested, through a union. As far as I can tell, Evan comes from a non-grifting  background and his parents have probably discussed with him how most regular people deal with adult issues like healthcare and insurance.

• Upvote 7

19 hours ago, Melissa1977 said:

have the feeling that Gil and Kelly may not be in bad terms with Carlin. They just ignore their kids in need. 

I mean... Erin has been very ill for months. Was Kelly babysitting, cooking or being useful? I wonder if the lack of help caused the shocking distance between them (apart from the boutique issues).

It's possible Kelly was doing all these things. I doubt they mention everything on social media.

I agree, though, that it doesn't seem like Kelly does much. She give the appearance of someone who doesn't do much. Just the sight of her "breakfasts" (a basket of instant oatmeal packets) told me that.

I know this isn't a fan site, but I have to be impressed by the way Evan is handling all of this.  He did't sign up for two babies and a wife with unexplained convulsions, but he has stepped up to the plate, as young as he is.

• Upvote 20
  • Rufus Bless 1
  • I Agree 1

Didn't she recently do an ad for Scamaritan "Insurance" on insta? I don't think they have real medical coverage.

1 minute ago, J'Lurker said:

Didn't she recently do an ad for Scamaritan "Insurance" on insta? I don't think they have real medical coverage.

That was Jessa and Josie commented. 

• Upvote 3
  • Thank You 1

My bad! Thanks for the correction. Joining the "hope they have real coverage" train. Maybe BSB has an employee plan.

If the Stewarts do have some type of Christian Health Ministry healthcare, it must be working fantastically well for them. They have spent way more time than an average family in the ER and at doctors in the last two years. If they are presenting themselves as private pay, they are seeing the bills and know what the cost of healthcare is. I believe Evan had health insurance through his employer, or as someone else suggested, through a union. As far as I can tell, Evan comes from a non-grifting  background and his parents have probably discussed with him how most regular people deal with adult issues like healthcare and insurance.

Could the Christian insurance kick them off ? I don’t think this is (maybe is now) the only insurance they have but if it is I’d say they’ve used quite a bit of the pot. Those types of appointments don’t run cheap.
Based on their average view count and YouTube metrics, they are making somewhere between $5-8k a month from YouTube. An exact number is hard because a lot of it depends on what kind of ads you are getting plus how many people are watching the ads. But Carlin and Evan are averaging almost 200k views per video, so by all metrics, YouTube is very profitable for them. 
As for insurance, if Evan is covered by a Union, would it possible for him to keep paying his Union dues and stay a member even when he isn't currently employed? 

2af164d9ced87310fe970689422af2dd.jpg

Their socialblade stats. This is taken with a grain of salt but is usually in the correct ballpark
  • Upvote 1
  • Thank You 3

2 hours ago, SoSoNosy said:

He did't sign up for two babies and a wife with unexplained convulsions, but he has stepped up to the plate, as young as he is.

Well, he signed up for the two babies and the wife.  And I imagine they believe in "in sickness and in health."  He's young and I don't have any complaints about his handling, either, but I think any reasonable spouse would be helpful and supportive.  Reasonable is probably the key word not describing every fundie would-be patriarch.

• Upvote 24

She has Instagram sponsors too. I've known of people with not much different youtube stats than her getting 5k$ sponsorship deals. Even if she was getting half that plus lower end of youtube she's probably making more than the average 40hr/week employee. Plus whatever BSB makes.

Doesn't seem like money is a current concern. Plus they stayed in that tiny rental a surprisingly long time...showed some fiscal restraint and planning.

Evan had surprised me as well. But the bar is VERY low.

• Upvote 9
  • I Agree 1

Yes, the bar is very low.  I wouldn't be admiring Evan's actions if it weren't happening in this forum.  Maybe I should send a little bit of admiration to his parents; I don't know anything about them, but hopefully they instilled some of this in him.

• Upvote 3

Evan being seen as a loving and supportive spouse is not a surprise to me at all. He obviously loves Carlin and his kids. And he’s the head writer, actor, director and producer of their YouTube videos. Of course he wants to make sure everyone sees him in a positive light. He doesn’t act like a “headship” at all and I doubt he really sees himself in that role. I don’t really care for them including Carlin’s seizures on their videos, but I think they want to get as many views ($) as possible and the way to do that is to show all the dramatic events. Before Carlin’s health issues, the two of them seemed most concerned with looking pretty on camera. And now, Evan has an opportunity to show that he might have a little more substance to him.

• Upvote 9
  • I Agree 1

They're both so young and naive. They said they kind of expected a week or two and it'd be solved. Hah! Welcome to adulthood!

Evan's family seems more normal and supportive. I'm sure Evan does a lot to put everything in the happy narrative-but his family are actually there, taking care of kids, helping move, etc.

I hope it provides Carlin with a much needed example of a different way to live and helps breaks at least some of the brainwashing.

• Upvote 7

I think they'll be fine financially for a while. They may as well bank on Youtube and Instagram while they still have some popularity. Plus they have the boutique too. Just wondering how things will play out over the next few years especially with her medical condition. Just hoping no more children will be added into this. 

• Upvote 4

10 hours ago, GuineaPigCourtship said:

Well, he signed up for the two babies and the wife.  And I imagine they believe in "in sickness and in health."  He's young and I don't have any complaints about his handling, either, but I think any reasonable spouse would be helpful and supportive.  Reasonable is probably the key word not describing every fundie would-be patriarch.

I get the feeling Evan is extremely close to his family.  While conservative Christians, they are far more mainstream than any fundie families.  I think the Paine’s are very close.  The parents along with the siblings have provided quite a bit of help which is evident in their videos.  I do hope this continues.  It seems the Bates family only shows up when there is a payday.  I think Mama Bates is more than willing to show up for her modeling gigs (where I am guessing she is paid) or free trips to Las Vegas.  She is a lot like my mom.  Mama Bates shows up when it benefits her.  Mama Bates has not embraced giving and expecting nothing in return.  Mama Bates gives when she can get.

Edited by Tatar-tot
  • Upvote 12

Didn’t Kelly Jo also have some surgeries or health issues fairly recently? I don’t recall what they were about. Obviously she’s well enough to travel and model dresses, but I wonder if she has limitations on things like lifting /carrying children.  Was her health stuff pre-Covid era? Or after? Just curious. 

• Upvote 3

I think most of the IL's families are closer than the Bates. I feel like most of the kids "married out" and seem closer to their spouse's family. Trace already seems much closer to Lydia's family. I feel like the big exception is Nathan and Esther who don't seem close to EITHER family. 

• Upvote 7
  • I Agree 1

Off. Couse Kelly shows up for BSB modeling, I believe she’s taken over Erin’s piece of the business (as a silent partner)

• Upvote 3

Most of these families have been remarkably lucky. They've gambled that everyone would remain healthy, and they've won. Baby after baby is born without issues. The parents stay healthy and are able to work/care for the kids. At least that's been true in the Bates and Duggar families. The health issues that arise have mostly been minor ones.

If the mom or dad gets sick in the average fundie family--especially while the kids are still little--everything goes downhill. They have very few safety nets--generally the mom and dad aren't educated, mom's been out of the work force a long time, there's  a bunch of tiny kids who need care, siblings have their own large families and can't help, etc.

Carlin and Evan's luck has run out, though. She can't care for her kids, or drive them anywhere or even be left alone.. Her parents have 18 other kids and so they can't (or won't) help. This is the trainwreck that's been waiting to happen.

Lucky for them, they are former reality tv "stars." So BSB is more successful, because of their brand. And their youtube channel is more successful, because of the show. In the average, unknown fundie family, they'd be moving in with parents and applying for food stamps.

• Upvote 6
  • I Agree 1

3 hours ago, CanadianMamam said:

. I feel like the big exception is Nathan and Esther who don't seem close to EITHER family.

They are close to Duggar family. They will become Jathan and Jesther.

3 hours ago, Mama Mia said:

Didn’t Kelly Jo also have some surgeries or health issues fairly recently? I don’t recall what they were about. Obviously she’s well enough to travel and model dresses, but I wonder if she has limitations on things like lifting /carrying children.  Was her health stuff pre-Covid era? Or after? Just curious. 

Kelly has had health issues for years and a couple years ago she broke her leg. But she is often travelling, so I guess she could help Carlin a bit. Taking her to the doctor, doing laundry or simply staying by her side while Evan is busy. 

• Upvote 6
  • Haha 7

8 hours ago, irish_dancing_canadian said:

I think they'll be fine financially for a while. They may as well bank on Youtube and Instagram while they still have some popularity. Plus they have the boutique too. Just wondering how things will play out over the next few years especially with her medical condition. Just hoping no more children will be added into this. 

This is why this family would be a nightmare to treat as a HCP. 

There are often psychological issues feeding into seizure disorders -- regardless of which diagnosis she ends up with. The publicity and youtube are likely connected to the health issues. And there is no way to tell them to STOP in a way that they will listen. Because income.

By connected---I do not mean causation. Simply connected. 

• Upvote 4
  • Sad 1
  • I Agree 1

On 8/28/2022 at 4:48 AM, marmalade said:

They probably had coverage through Evan's "job" until FMLA ran out. Now? Who knows? I don't think they could afford COBRA unless they cut back on the Starbucks and fast food runs. 

He may have health insurance through his union. He has referenced being a member and doing his training with one before.

Edited by seraaa

• nelliebelle1197 locked this topic