IGNORED

Carlin & Evan 11: Scary Health Situation

samurai_sarah

2 minutes ago, CanadianMamam said:

The thing is who would to have help? Whitney has four kids and is likely pulling her wait at the boutique. Erin had 5 kids (even if she and Carlin were on good terms, which they don't appear to be). Tori has 4 kids, including a newborn. Josie has two kids and her own business. Lawson, Nathan, Alyssa Katie and Jackson all live far away. Trace and Warden seem to work full time. 

So you have Kelly, who sucks at emergancies. Addee and Ellie who are teenagers and should not have to take on that responsibility. Or Michael, who seems to be actively going through fertility treatments and has her own stuff to deal with. 

Evan had his certification. He says he will keep paying in and keeping his standing active. They can apparently use him at the boutique and can afford to make this move and I can see it making the most sense for them at least until they have answers.

I could’ve imagined a situation of Evan dropping Carlin & her kids off at Gil + Kelly’s for the day like how a passel of grandchildren and Anna are dropped off at TTH everyday

Edited by luv2laugh
  • Upvote 6

3 minutes ago, luv2laugh said:

I could’ve imagined a situation of Evan dropping Carlin & her kids off at Gil + Kelly’s for the day like how a passel of grandchildren and Anna are dropped off at TTH everyday

But the boutique is their main source of income. Carlin needs to be able to work, so she needs to be driven and to have someone there to supervise her. Theoretically the kids could have been dropped off, but Carlin basically needs a minder/chauffer. 

• Upvote 3

24 minutes ago, luv2laugh said:

But why? He’s a husband and father who appears to be actually useful. It seems SO regressive to assume the better course of action is to have her female relatives patchwork together a network of help - when they are financially able to have one spouse help and support the other and care for his own children. I’m sure with everything going on they’ll already need to get lots of extra help with childcare— why assume the women folk should also take on all the other responsibility? 

• Upvote 20

54 minutes ago, Mama Mia said:

But why? He’s a husband and father who appears to be actually useful. It seems SO regressive to assume the better course of action is to have her female relatives patchwork together a network of help - when they are financially able to have one spouse help and support the other and care for his own children. I’m sure with everything going on they’ll already need to get lots of extra help with childcare— why assume the women folk should also take on all the other responsibility? 

Well…It just seems to me that Carlin is still shouldering too much of the burden. She is clearly the main breadwinner AND is the sick partner. This really is worse case scenario. I would think financially speaking, they should get a sitter and Evan should be developing his own career and resume. What happens if Carlin can’t continue working to support the family?  

• Upvote 9

9 minutes ago, SassyPants said:

Well…It just seems to me that Carlin is still shouldering too much of the burden. She is clearly the main breadwinner AND is the sick partner. This really is worse case scenario. I would think financially speaking, they should get a sitter and Evan should be developing his own career and resume. What happens if Carlin can’t continue working to support the family?  

I suspect that is why Evan is stepping into the boutique, to protect their investment and keep up of Carlin's share of work. 

• Upvote 20
  • I Agree 1

I think the boutique is the big money maker for Carlin and Evan and I think that limits their options. Evan could work and they could hire someone to watch the kids and help Carlin but that doesn't solve the boutique problem. 

Carlin said an episode knocks her out for a couple days. She cannot keep up her previous pace. So, if Evan kept working, she would likely have to step back from the boutique PLUS pay someone to watch her and the kids. But with Evan joining her at the boutique, it keeps the business running, clears her plate a bit and means there is someone to help with her and the children. 

• Upvote 14

3 hours ago, clueliss said:

This week’s CarVan YouTube video confirmed/revealed that due to her health issues, his FMLA is exhausted and the company he was working for had to fire him.  He’s now working for Carlin at the boutique.

Yet they vote against health care for everyone and maternity leave!

• Upvote 20
  • I Agree 4
  • Thank You 6

47 minutes ago, CanadianMamam said:

I think the boutique is the big money maker for Carlin and Evan and I think that limits their options. Evan could work and they could hire someone to watch the kids and help Carlin but that doesn't solve the boutique problem. 

Carlin said an episode knocks her out for a couple days. She cannot keep up her previous pace. So, if Evan kept working, she would likely have to step back from the boutique PLUS pay someone to watch her and the kids. But with Evan joining her at the boutique, it keeps the business running, clears her plate a bit and means there is someone to help with her and the children. 

Other people work at the boutique too, right?

• Upvote 2

2 minutes ago, SassyPants said:

I mean they have employees but Carlin and Whitney make the decisions, pick the stock, etc. Zach as moved into store manager role and it seems like Evan will be taking over social media and the web store. 

• Upvote 4

Gil and Kelly could be helping out more with the kids, at least during the day so that Carlin and Evan can focus on work. 

• Upvote 2
  • I Agree 5

11 minutes ago, SassyPants said:

It seems like a substantially thriving business. It doesn’t look like it’s a tiny store front where you just need to make sure  someone is there during open hours to ring up sales. On line sales and social media marketing are probably at least a full-time job, likely more. 

Edited by Mama Mia
  • Upvote 3

I have the feeling that Gil and Kelly may not be in bad terms with Carlin. They just ignore their kids in need. 

I mean... Erin has been very ill for months. Was Kelly babysitting, cooking or being useful? I wonder if the lack of help caused the shocking distance between them (apart from the boutique issues).

I don't follow them closely, but did Erin mention the family help when she was so sick? 

The family dynamic is strange. But it is obvious that Kelly just like births, weddings and parties.

• Upvote 10
  • I Agree 2

45 minutes ago, Mama Mia said:

It seems like a substantially thriving business. It doesn’t look like it’s a tiny store front where you just need to make sure  someone is there during open hours to ring up sales. On line sales and social media marketing are probably at least a full-time job, likely more. 

I was under the impression that BSB doesn’t have a real storefront, that they are online sales only, with occasional warehouse clearance sales.

i just looked at their website and Whitney and Carlin’s bios haven’t been updated since Layla was a baby.  Whitney’s bio claims that she is a full time mom, who also does real estate and BSB.  I guess that means all moms would qualify as full time moms.

• Upvote 4

1 hour ago, Melissa1977 said:

I have the feeling that Gil and Kelly may not be in bad terms with Carlin. They just ignore their kids in need. 

I mean... Erin has been very ill for months. Was Kelly babysitting, cooking or being useful? I wonder if the lack of help caused the shocking distance between them (apart from the boutique issues).

I don't follow them closely, but did Erin mention the family help when she was so sick? 

The family dynamic is strange. But it is obvious that Kelly just like births, weddings and parties.

I agree about strange dynamics. Have we ever seen any evidence that KJ actually helps any of the families? She doesn’t even mind her own younger kids. I always thought it was weird that Michelle only showed up for the actual birth of babies. IMO, I’d rather have had my mom at home caring for my already born kids needing care, than at the hospital watching the birth of a new one. It’s not like all the dads of those kids were not in attendance.

The vibe I get from both M and KJ is that they are all about FOMO but not actually doing anything that might help-

• Upvote 11

1 hour ago, Melissa1977 said:

Chad's mom came from Oklahoma and helped out for months when Erin was.sick. She also came when Finley was born. 

• Upvote 10
  • I Agree 1
  • Thank You 4
  • Love 1

3 hours ago, anjulibai said:

Gil and Kelly could be helping out more with the kids, at least during the day so that Carlin and Evan can focus on work. 

I agree with this given how much Gil & Kelly relied on sistermoms and no doubt, Carlin had to help parent as a kid…. 

• Upvote 5

Well, IBLP does NOT believe in good works as a Christian act, right?  I mean if you're not obligated to help anyone you can start close to home by not helping your children or siblings!

• Upvote 5
  • Love 2

7 hours ago, SassyPants said:

I wonder what, if anything, they've got for medical insurance.

• Upvote 2

1 minute ago, Dandruff said:

I wonder what, if anything, they've got for medical insurance.

They probably had coverage through Evan's "job" until FMLA ran out. Now? Who knows? I don't think they could afford COBRA unless they cut back on the Starbucks and fast food runs. 

• Upvote 4

I know we don’t know the full situation, but I find it so sad that her parents aren’t supporting them more. KJ always seems to have time to go on trips and shopping etc, so I can’t see how she wouldn’t have time to help Carlin out here and there? We’re very lucky that my parents live in the same town as us. At the end of my pregnancy, my husband was having medical issues and had to be treated out of town. At the same time, I developed complications and had to be induced within a few days. My parents dropped everything, called in sick to work, and stayed at our house overnight so I’d have someone there in case something happened. My mom took me to the hospital every day for monitoring until I delivered, and then stayed with me for the few days after we got home when my husband was still in the hospital. In addition, we didn’t have time to install the car seat and a few other things for the baby, so my dad did all of that while we were in hospital. I also didn’t cook for the first probably 5 weeks? Because our family was bringing over meals for us. I realize we are tremendously privileged to have that kind of support, but now being a mom myself, I’d do it in a heartbeat for my kids, too. So I just find it sad to see in their situation. 

• Upvote 11
  • I Agree 5
  • Love 11

If Carlin was my kid and I lived close by, my happy butt would be there every day. But that's just me...I sort of feel a sense of responsibility with that sort of thing. Hell, I literally dropped everything and took off to CO from NV when my youngest granddaughter chose to show up 2+ weeks before the scheduled C-section date. Literally, like son called at 10pm asking me about labor. 90 minutes later he called back saying they were at the hospital and prepping her for surgery. I threw some shit in a bag, got gas and took off at like 1am and drove roughly 11 hours on no sleep at all. Why? Family does family. 

• Upvote 14
  • I Agree 4
  • Love 11

45 minutes ago, marmalade said:

They probably had coverage through Evan's "job" until FMLA ran out. Now? Who knows? I don't think they could afford COBRA unless they cut back on the Starbucks and fast food runs. 

I have absolutely no idea how much money the Stewarts have from their various income streams (YouTube, social media influencers, boutique), but I’m sure they realize that maintaining their health insurance coverage should be one of their highest priorities. I’m sure that health insurance coverage weighed into their decision of Evan leaving his job. If they couldn’t afford COBRA or getting their own policy, then Evan shouldn’t have quit his job. I have a feeling they are doing just fine financially. I think they probably feel like they should make as much money possible from YouTube, influencing and the boutique while they are young and relevant. Since Carlin doesn’t seem to be getting better, it probably is just easier for Evan to not work an outside job right now. Even if they hired help, Evan would still be taking time off to bring Carlin to appointments on a fairly regular basis.

Edited by JDuggs
Typo
  • Upvote 8
  • I Agree 2
  • Love 2

I have to think their youtube is a significant source of income. I mean, I know I'm of an older generation, but I can't think anyone would continuously post private medical details like filming the seizures without it begin profitable. The reality TV/attention culture can't cross over that far.

• Upvote 8

7 hours ago, CanadianMamam said:

Chad's mom came from Oklahoma and helped out for months when Erin was.sick. She also came when Finley was born. 

That's what I find so strange. Erin is the golden child and has an inmaculate fundie life. She got very ill... and no Bates helping? I suspect that's part of the reason they seem to be distant now.

Now, Carlin is on the same hole. Sick, leaving near her parents but relying on in-laws who live far from her.

• Upvote 11

Her seizure looks so horrible and Evan losing his job (for now) must be scary for them.....BUT...it's been months and they don't seem to be hurting for money. They go out to eat constantly, seem to have plenty of money to decorate the house, and get manicures/maintain that Instagram ready level of make up/hair care etc.

• Upvote 5
  • I Agree 1

• nelliebelle1197 locked this topic