IGNORED

Katie & Travis 4: Still under the Umbrella of Patriarchy

samurai_sarah

15 hours ago, AussieKrissy said:

fuck me dead 

horror 

so if I get it correct she conceived while still bleeding for the first baby?

Fucking anti abortion shit I am assuming that is why she refused the D and C.

Take the health care, there are millions of women out there dying 'cause they have no access to it.

You 'aint that fucking special to die a martyr 

And GOD Sighed...

Fuckers 

That is all

C'mon, being reckless and leaving five children without a mother is SO romantic! /s

• Upvote 1
  • Haha 1

On 12/14/2022 at 7:09 PM, CanadianMamam said:

It was awful. She talked about how they chose to leave their family up to God, had 5 kids in 7 years. Then, she got pregnant again, while they had moved away for her husband's job and she was living in a new place where she didn't know anyone. She miscarried and didn't stop bleeding, she was in pain, etc. She refused a D&C, she was at her lowest point and begged God for answers. Bleeding stopped, she found out she was pregnant, learned at the ultrasound that shr was further along than she thought and the pregnancy dated to her plea to God. 

So basically she didn't get desperately needed medical care and was still joyfully available despite pain and bleeding. I felt so much rage reading it. 

This may explain how Esther ended up with such a misogynistic asshole for a husband, and ready to get dressed up for a restaurant dinner shortly after giving birth. 

Edited by Guanabana
  • Upvote 6

My boss delivered her daughter early (36 weeks) after a month of bed rest and had the audacity to ask the OB if she could be discharged early, just short of 24 hours, because she and her husband had a dinner reservation.  She took that baby snoozing in her carrier out to dinner and said she'd do it again.  Not my cuppa, that's for sure, but my boss is a force of nature.

• Upvote 1
  • Rufus Bless 1
  • Eyeroll 1
  • WTF 6

• 2 weeks later...

Katie and Travis put up a pottery barn chandelier retailing at $350 in the baby’s room. I just can’t imagine spending that much money on a light fixture in a baby’s room. But if they have the money, then I guess they should spend it how they want. 

• Upvote 4
  • I Agree 3

10 minutes ago, JermajestyDuggar said:

Katie and Travis put up a pottery barn chandelier retailing at $350 in the baby’s room. I just can’t imagine spending that much money on a light fixture in a baby’s room. But if they have the money, then I guess they should spend it how they want. 

I agree but it it just get's buying when they lie that daddy clark isn't helping them and they get to go through life with a silver spoon while most of us are just trying to get by right now 

$350 for a chandelier isn't really that much. It really is beautiful. I imagine they plan on keep Hailey in that room for sometime (do they have two bedrooms upstairs or three?) and it could always be moved if they changed her room. 

Katie went practical with the crib and other furniture (more so than Travis was going to) but I think a light fixture is different as that will work for a little girl as well as a baby and can last for years. 

Katie is one of 19 kids. She never even had her own room, let alone a special nursery, it makes sense she would want to do that for Hailey. 

• Upvote 14

1 hour ago, CanadianMamam said:

$350 for a chandelier isn't really that much. It really is beautiful. I imagine they plan on keep Hailey in that room for sometime (do they have two bedrooms upstairs or three?) and it could always be moved if they changed her room. 

Katie went practical with the crib and other furniture (more so than Travis was going to) but I think a light fixture is different as that will work for a little girl as well as a baby and can last for years. 

Katie is one of 19 kids. She never even had her own room, let alone a special nursery, it makes sense she would want to do that for Hailey. 

I think they only have 2 bedrooms upstairs. I remember being curious about what they’d do once they had more than one child. 

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, marmalade said:

The chandelier is pink. What happens when they have a boy?

It can be moved. I assume if they had to move Hailey's downstairs (which would actually be a little concerning with those stairs), they could move it. 

Same if they move houses. I am sure they would it down and replace it with a generic one. 

Would they? Who knows. Maybe they would just throw it out and start over, which would be a definite waste. 

Still, Hailey isn't even born yet and I don't see them having Tori-like spacing with their second kid. So this probably won't be an issue for 3 years or so. And for two 22 year olds (not even, Travis doesn't turn 22 until March), 3 years is probably a really long time 😂

Edited by CanadianMamam
  • Upvote 2

It’s a far cry from how she grew up that’s for sure. 

8 hours ago, CanadianMamam said:

$350 for a light in a baby’s room is a lot for a lot of people. Like the majority of people in the US.

• Upvote 2
  • I Agree 9

It is more than I would pay (although I admit after she posted it, I did consider installing it in my daughter's room for a LL of a minute) but it's not in "unreasonable expense" category for me and $350 for a chandelier doesn't seem outrageous, although I can understand the "baby's room" part of it. 

But it is a far cry from the way Katie grew up and I think that is the point. 

Edited by CanadianMamam
  • Upvote 2
  • Bless Your Heart 2
  • I Agree 1

47 minutes ago, CanadianMamam said:

It is more than I would pay (although I admit after she posted it, I did consider installing it in my daughter's room for a LL of a minute) but it's not in "unreasonable expense" category for me and $350 for a chandelier doesn't seem outrageous, although I can understand the "baby's room" part of it. 

But it is a far cry from the way Katie grew up and I think that is the point. 

Lucky you. Be grateful you can spend that kind of money. Most people can’t. 

• Upvote 3
  • Downvote 1
  • Confused 1
  • Eyeroll 1
  • I Agree 2

26 minutes ago, JermajestyDuggar said:

I am grateful, although amongst our family and friends (and our neighborhood in general) we are on the lower end of income scale. We just had a good combination of luck (bought a house before the boom that is now worth 3x what we paid) and choice (we moved out of the city to a much lower collateral area to be able to afford to buy). But yes, I do know that my financial situation is fairly privileged. 

Even the online spaces I occupied, mommy boards/lifestyle boards tend to be in that same demographic and that means I have seen a lot of pricey nursery furniture over the years (not mine, ours was second hand). 

• Upvote 2

11 minutes ago, CanadianMamam said:

I am grateful, although amongst our family and friends (and our neighborhood in general) we are on the lower end of income scale. We just had a good combination of luck (bought a house before the boom that is now worth 3x what we paid) and choice (we moved out of the city to a much lower collateral area to be able to afford to buy). But yes, I do know that my financial situation is fairly privileged. 

Even the online spaces I occupied, mommy boards/lifestyle boards tend to be in that same demographic and that means I have seen a lot of pricey nursery furniture over the years (not mine, ours was second hand). 

Unsolicited advice: it’s best to compare yourself to a wider group than just your neighborhood or mommy boards. Because that’s an extremely small microcosm of the world. There will always be people with more money than you. 

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 2
  • I Agree 3

14 minutes ago, JermajestyDuggar said:

Unsolicited advice: it’s best to compare yourself to a wider group than just your neighborhood or mommy boards. Because that’s an extremely small microcosm of the world. There will always be people with more money than you. 

Oh I know. I also live in Canada not the US  (I did do the conversion on the light, it's $530 here) and the social programs available make a huge difference in expense and income. 

But from a sheer income standpoint, my family makes the lower end of median. 

Edited by CanadianMamam
  • Upvote 1

Well, we all know Travis is kinda bougie. Remember the matching Polo bear sweatshirts they use to wear during courtship? The only way I'll be able to buy a Polo bear shirt or chandelier is with AfterPay 🤣

• Upvote 5

16 minutes ago, Tangy Bee said:

Well, we all know Travis is kinda bougie. Remember the matching Polo bear sweatshirts they use to wear during courtship? The only way I'll be able to buy a Polo bear shirt or chandelier is with AfterPay 🤣

I am sure part of Katie’s attraction to Travis was the family money. And I get it. She grew up very differently. When she was little, they were cramming a ridiculous amount of kids in a small home. Her older teen brother had to loan her parents money for groceries. Things were very tight. And it’s sucks when you grow up that way. But in marrying Travis and his access to money, she also has to deal with his awful father. 

Edited by JermajestyDuggar
  • Upvote 11

3 hours ago, JermajestyDuggar said:

Or won’t. Because most 22 YOs expecting a baby either would be too poor or too bright to waste that kind of money on a frivolous item, when a more reasonable light source would be more economical. These folks are not the Rockefellers… Even if they are financially secure today, there is zero guarantee of their economic futures. But again, what do they know about the realitie$ of life; the twists and turns? Nada-

• Upvote 7

I don't think Katie and Travis are money fool. They are like thousands of posh couples. Sure, most people have less money than them. And yes, many middle class with money with just prefer to buy cheaper items for nurseries. But some fancy items or a whole decorated Christmas tree or a new couch are not that much. They are not spending lots of money in weekend parties (night clubs) that many people their ages do. They are not wearing extremely expensive clothes. They have no study loans. Their fancy holidays are obviously paid by his parents.

Some comments make them look as if it was unethical to have new forniture or a bunch of Christmas decor they can pay for. I doubt those comments will be done if the couple was older. If Sarah Maxwell bought a brand new leather couch or set an expensive nursery, she would be praised for enjoying her life.

Probably Katie and Travis are too immature and are not saving money (who knows). But they aren't taking crazy financial decisions IMO.

• Upvote 10

Here in the US, most 22 year olds are actually pretty poor. So they just aren’t like most fundies or like most 22 year olds in general. If you live in the US, you’ll know that they aren’t the typical 22 year olds. 

Edited by JermajestyDuggar
  • Upvote 4
  • I Agree 2

Under the spoiler are pics of the controversial chandelier. Katie and Travis are not typical 22 year olds expecting a baby. Most 22 year olds with money aren’t interested in having families yet because they’re out trying to earn more money, unless it’s some millionaire like Kylie Jenner who can make money and have kids. It’s not a super practical choice, but it seems like a typical choice for a couple who consider themselves to be influencers. I know where I live, most people, including me, could afford to buy it without scrimping and saving. I wouldn’t buy it because I’m tight with a buck by nature. But if something for $350 was going to bring me joy (thanks Marie Kondo), I would buy it. I don’t know the percentage of Americans who could or couldn’t afford it, but I don’t think that people who like it or could afford it should be shamed into thinking it’s wrong.

Spoiler

image.thumb.png.3b3474d11329d1b8dac34f1271e78b71.png

Spoiler

image.thumb.png.3b72a06e6e03bfc45d695a6cb2aef19d.png

• Upvote 9
  • Eyeroll 1

People waste all kinds of money setting up for a baby.  I know we didn't realize what was essential vs not.  I didn't care about setting up a nursery just so, but apparently interior decoration is something every fundie has as a personal interest.  I got a $25 stroller (used) and a $200 car seat (new) but I know people who sprung for those $1000+ convertible car seat stroller sets, even after I talked to them about how glad I was we hadn't wasted our money.  My daughter hates the stroller, btw, and we have barely ever used it.

At least with the light they'll use it multiple times every day.

• Upvote 7

9 hours ago, Melissa1977 said:

I don't think Katie and Travis are money fool. They are like thousands of posh couples. Sure, most people have less money than them. And yes, many middle class with money with just prefer to buy cheaper items for nurseries. But some fancy items or a whole decorated Christmas tree or a new couch are not that much. They are not spending lots of money in weekend parties (night clubs) that many people their ages do. They are not wearing extremely expensive clothes. They have no study loans. Their fancy holidays are obviously paid by his parents.

Some comments make them look as if it was unethical to have new forniture or a bunch of Christmas decor they can pay for. I doubt those comments will be done if the couple was older. If Sarah Maxwell bought a brand new leather couch or set an expensive nursery, she would be praised for enjoying her life.

Probably Katie and Travis are too immature and are not saving money (who knows). But they aren't taking crazy financial decisions IMO.

For the bolded, Katie recently mentioned her Barefoot Dreams cardigan. On sale, she might find one for around $100. If she paid retail, we're talking $150-175. Not cheap for a 22 year old. Not cheap for me, and I'm her parents' age. 

• Upvote 4

10 hours ago, JermajestyDuggar said:

Here in the US, most 22 year olds are actually pretty poor. So they just aren’t like most fundies or like most 22 year olds in general. If you live in the US, you’ll know that they aren’t the typical 22 year olds. 

My question is, why is it bad that Katie buys expensive stuff (she can pay for) and it is ok for older people to do it? Just because the average 22 year old is poor? Well, in most part of the world, every single age group is poor. Then we all should stop  spending in unnecessary things because others cannot have it. 

The chandelier is ugly and expensive IMO. But they've been critisised for buying Christmas decor or a couch... As it is unfair for youngs to have brand new things. I really don't get it. 

• Upvote 11
  • I Agree 2
  • Love 1

• Coconut Flan locked this topic