IGNORED

Katie & Travis 4: Still under the Umbrella of Patriarchy

samurai_sarah

4 minutes ago, SassyPants said:

No Katie, I will not be buying a $100 fake olive tree for my living room. Aren’t these folks expecting another mouth to feed, insure and clothe in the next few months? And she is going back to buy another one. Yikes. I wonder if money grows on those olive trees?

I admit, if I grew up like Katie, I would want to marry a guy with family money. So I can’t blame her there. But not THAT family with money. The Clark dad is more than I could take.

• Upvote 7
  • I Agree 2

2 hours ago, displayname said:

Lol my husband and I got our daughter's name from a tv show too! She wasn't named after the character, but we definitely were "inspired" by Bob's Burgers.

Lol too funny! Same here, she’s not named after the character, but inspired by the name for sure haha. For us it was Brooklyn Nine-Nine

• Upvote 1

On 9/23/2022 at 6:25 PM, CanadianMamam said:

James for a girl is getting trendy. Ryan Reynolds and Blake Lively have a daughter James. Jessica Capshaw, Jennifer Love Hewitt and James Marsden all have daughters with the middle name James. 

And Thomas Rhett- Ada James.

2 hours ago, JermajestyDuggar said:

I admit, if I grew up like Katie, I would want to marry a guy with family money. So I can’t blame her there. But not THAT family with money. The Clark dad is more than I could take.

Having money is great. It makes likes a whole lot easier. She could always go the traditional and conservative route and get a job! She even has a skill to do so-

16 minutes ago, SassyPants said:

Having money is great. It makes likes a whole lot easier. She could always go the traditional and conservative route and get a job! She even has a skill to do so-

Definitely. It’s too bad she was only given one route to take in life. Marry and have babies. 

• Upvote 1

I don’t think Travis would have minded Katie getting a job. I rather think that Katie was keen for a family and couldn’t see the point in getting a job. 

• Upvote 10

4 hours ago, JermajestyDuggar said:

If I grew up like Katie, I'd get a job, save up my OWN money and get out of Dodge. Family money usually comes with strings attached.

Her sisters seem to have married for love, and are earning their own money. They have done much better for themselves. I'd far rather have Evan's parents as my in-laws than the Clarks.

Besides, you never really know who has "family money" unless you get a look at the books. People living the high life could have lots of debt.

• Upvote 4

On 9/24/2022 at 4:36 PM, CanadianMamam said:

We know Chad and Erin have an agreement where she pick the first name and he picks the middle name, which is why their kids have unusual first names and traditional middle names. 

Katie and Travis stated that Hayley was on Travis's list and Katie liked it. You can tell from observing Travis and his family, that he probably wouldn't be naming his kid Cambree or Sequoia. 

As for the other husbands, it is hard to tell, althoguh we know Evan picked out Zade's middle name. 

Chad's and Erin's kids don't have unusual names: they have normal names.

Their first child is named Charles which is in the top 100 of names in America. He's called Carson, which is also a top 100 name in the US. (The top100 I'm referring to is a list of names used for babies born during a certain year, not adults in general.)

Brooklyn is a top 100 name for girls. Everly is a soaring in popularity and it's been top 100 since 2017. It would be more popular if there weren't so many spellings. Finley is popular for both boys and girls. For girls, it was ranked #211 last year.  Holland is the most unusual, but it's in top 1000 and rising.

Names like Courtney, Ashley, Lindsay, Kayla, Tracy and even Hailey seemed trendy and "unusual" back in the day. Hayley Mills was an actress and people thought she had a weird name. Ryan started out as a last name and has become an established choice for boys in the last forty years. Names can shift from trendy to established over time.

• Upvote 7
  • Eyeroll 1
  • Thank You 1

16 hours ago, Bluebirdbluebell said:

Chad's and Erin's kids don't have unusual names: they have normal names.

Their first child is named Charles which is in the top 100 of names in America. He's called Carson, which is also a top 100 name in the US. (The top100 I'm referring to is a list of names used for babies born during a certain year, not adults in general.)

Brooklyn is a top 100 name for girls. Everly is a soaring in popularity and it's been top 100 since 2017. It would be more popular if there weren't so many spellings. Finley is popular for both boys and girls. For girls, it was ranked #211 last year.  Holland is the most unusual, but it's in top 1000 and rising.

I guess the definition of "normal" varies.

I don't think being in the top 1000 qualifies as anywhere near normal. If a name is #783 or something, that means it's quite *unusual.*  

While I agree that Charles is a common name, Carson is much less common. And I don't know any little girls in my area named Everlys, Finlays or Hollands. So maybe it varies by area.

I think Erin made an effort to give her kids uncommon names.  She'd be quite disappointed to hear your assessment!

I've noticed that it's often people with common names (like Erin) that are on fire to give their kids unusual ones. They've never had to spell their names for strangers, or had people say "Sorry, what was that?" Plus, they want to appear different and original. Conversely, my friend with a VERY unusual name gave her kids commonly known, easily spelled names.

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 1

29 minutes ago, Jackie3 said:

I guess the definition of "normal" varies.

I don't think being in the top 1000 qualifies as anywhere near normal. If a name is #783 or something, that means it's quite *unusual.*  

While I agree that Charles is a common name, Carson is much less common. And I don't know any little girls in my area named Everlys, Finlays or Hollands. So maybe it varies by area.

I think Erin made an effort to give her kids uncommon names.  She'd be quite disappointed to hear your assessment!

I've noticed that it's often people with common names (like Erin) that are on fire to give their kids unusual ones. They've never had to spell their names for strangers, or had people say "Sorry, what was that?" Plus, they want to appear different and original. Conversely, my friend with a VERY unusual name gave her kids commonly known, easily spelled names.

You are contradicting yourself. By your reasoning, Erin is a quite "unusual" name, given that last year it ranked 578 in the US. Compared to Everly (50), Finley (211), Brooklyn (63) and Carson (98). Holland is the only name of Erin's children that was given to fewer babies in 2021 than Erin.

The year Erin was born, her name was the 44th most common name for girls in the US. The year they were born, her kids' names ranked 89 (Carson), 34 (Brooklyn), 53 (Everly), and 742 (Holland) (stats for 2022 aren't out yet for Finley, but in 2021 would have ranked 211). So other than Holland, her kids' names are fairly consistent with her own in terms of commonness. 

• Upvote 6
  • Thank You 2

7 hours ago, OHFL2009 said:

You are contradicting yourself. By your reasoning, Erin is a quite "unusual" name, given that last year it ranked 578 in the US. Compared to Everly (50), Finley (211), Brooklyn (63) and Carson (98). Holland is the only name of Erin's children that was given to fewer babies in 2021 than Erin.

I don't think Im contradicting myself. I think you are saying I"m just plain wrong.

And maybe I am. That's why I said it depends on the area of the country. I have never met an Everly, Holland, Finlay or Carson. But -- assuming that list is accurate--many other people have. 

Perhaps there are lots of Everlys and Hollands in Rocky Top. It'd be interesting to find out.  Would there have been 4 Finlays and 2 Hollands in Finlay's kindergarten class, had she been allowed to go to school?

Edited by Jackie3
  • Upvote 1

Travis’s cousin Vanessa is having a girl too. I’m sure the Clarks will make those second cousins BFFs since they are both girls close in age. 

• Upvote 3

15 hours ago, Jackie3 said:

I don't think Im contradicting myself. I think you are saying I"m just plain wrong.

And maybe I am. That's why I said it depends on the area of the country. I have never met an Everly, Holland, Finlay or Carson. But -- assuming that list is accurate--many other people have. 

Perhaps there are lots of Everlys and Hollands in Rocky Top. It'd be interesting to find out.  Would there have been 4 Finlays and 2 Hollands in Finlay's kindergarten class, had she been allowed to go to school?

I think what is missing here is that the rank of a name acutally doesn't say anything about how popular a name is in itself, just how popular compared to other names that year. And over the last few decades the most popular names have been less popular than the most popular names in the past.  Look at the percentage of boys getting a top ten name over the decades.image.thumb.png.c45cc6a506a0ab683221777a7d835691.png

The other thing I think is that Erin as a name has been around longer, so has been used for more years, so you have had more years to meet Erins than Finleys for example. The lists are about baby names for a single year, not how many of the name are around in the entire population. (there are some coutnries that publish that data and it is interesting too)

the graph is from namerology: https://namerology.com/2022/08/24/the-top-of-the-charts-illusion-how-popularity-rankings-lie-about-baby-names/

Edited by medimus
  • Upvote 11
  • Eyeroll 1
  • Thank You 1

47 minutes ago, medimus said:

I think what is missing here is that the rank of a name acutally doesn't say anything about how popular a name is in itself, just how popular compared to other names that year. And over the last few decades the most popular names have been less popular than the most popular names in the past.  Look at the percentage of boys getting a top ten name over the decades.image.thumb.png.c45cc6a506a0ab683221777a7d835691.png

The other thing I think is that Erin as a name has been around longer, so has been used for more years, so you have had more years to meet Erins than Finleys for example. The lists are about baby names for a single year, not how many of the name are around in the entire population. (there are some coutnries that publish that data and it is interesting too)

the graph is from namerology: https://namerology.com/2022/08/24/the-top-of-the-charts-illusion-how-popularity-rankings-lie-about-baby-names/

This is so true. There are so many more names to choose from today. Back when Mary was number one, it was a pretty good percentage of all girls born that year. Now the number one is probably Sophia and it may not even get 1% of all baby girls born this year. 

• Upvote 7

1 hour ago, JermajestyDuggar said:

This is so true. There are so many more names to choose from today. Back when Mary was number one, it was a pretty good percentage of all girls born that year. Now the number one is probably Sophia and it may not even get 1% of all baby girls born this year. 

I think it's also that the girls are so young right now that you don't get that "classroom effect" where you see how popular a name is, even in a particular region.  I'm a prek teacher, and I never realized how popular the name "Layla" (and various spellings thereof) had gotten, but, in six of the past nine years, I have had a layla in my class of twenty students, and, while I don't have one this year, there's one in the class next door.  I've had zero Kate/Katies since I began in this district nine years ago but, my daughter (a teen Kate) has almost always had another Katie /Kate on her soccer team, and half the time, was one of at least three (one year, four out of 15 of them were a Kate/Katie - oy vey!)

ETA: Also, spellings count.  Everly is 50 on the ssa, but Everlee is also 376, and Everleigh is 100 in 2021.  So, combined, where would that land?

Edited by monkeyrocks71
Add note about spellings
  • Upvote 7

Another grandchild for the clarks (may2023), seems like they want a boy from all the blue in the picture.  

Spoiler

1799445033_Screenshot2022-10-03at12_39_30am.thumb.png.5fd501382fd31e7a4b284b961fcbf22a.png

• Upvote 3

So it’s Katie, Travis’s sister, and Travis’s cousin all pregnant at the same time. 

• Upvote 3
  • WTF 1

3 hours ago, Dbm said:

Another grandchild for the clarks (may2023), seems like they want a boy from all the blue in the picture.  

Hide contents

1799445033_Screenshot2022-10-03at12_39_30am.thumb.png.5fd501382fd31e7a4b284b961fcbf22a.png

It is the lighting. The second photo in the set shows that the onesie is white Screenshot_20221002-213322.thumb.png.48297949e12ac797d8545dc51ab9c27c.png

• Upvote 4
  • Thank You 5

3 hours ago, CanadianMamam said:

It is the lighting. The second photo in the set shows that the onesie is white Screenshot_20221002-213322.thumb.png.48297949e12ac797d8545dc51ab9c27c.png

both are still wearing blue lol

• Upvote 1

On 9/27/2022 at 11:23 AM, raayx01 said:

I already have my kids manes picked out. I have different combinations depending on what they look like and how I feel, but my firstborn sons name is non negotiable. All my other names and all the middle's are, but I think women just put more time into finding them name and having a meaning while a lot of guys just want something cool like Ace or Jett. All my boys names are normal names but are edgy and could be good no matter if there a baby or a grown man

You mean you are going to tell your husband what he has to name his son? What if he has a non-negotiable name, too? What  if he hates the name you picked?

• Eyeroll 1

6 hours ago, Dbm said:

both are still wearing blue lol

I am sure they are hoping for a boy, with Katie having a girl, but she is only 6 - 10 weeks along. 

• Upvote 2

Probably just a coincidence but interesting that his sister got pregnant right around the time that Travis and Katie announced. It will be interesting to see if Travis’ brother and wife follow suit now… there is something very strange about this family and how everything seems so well timed, same number of kids etc. 

• Upvote 14

12 minutes ago, Alysabeth said:

Probably just a coincidence but interesting that his sister got pregnant right around the time that Travis and Katie announced. It will be interesting to see if Travis’ brother and wife follow suit now… there is something very strange about this family and how everything seems so well timed, same number of kids etc. 

Tinfoil hat theory: Is this why Papa Clark looked so upset when T&K announced? They broke pattern. Kayla should have been first as the oldest, then Mike Jr, and Travis last. 

• Upvote 5
  • I Agree 2

8 hours ago, Jackie3 said:

You mean you are going to tell your husband what he has to name his son? What if he has a non-negotiable name, too? What  if he hates the name you picked?

I assume they would discuss this like adults, in that case. And if someone has a non-negotiable name in mind, I imagine that would come up during discussions about kids, which will (for anyone with sense) happen before they decide to marry. 

All that assuming there's a husband involved in the first place, which, as my grandma used to tell us repeatedly, is not a necessity these days!

• Upvote 3

On 10/1/2022 at 8:27 AM, monkeyrocks71 said:

I think it's also that the girls are so young right now that you don't get that "classroom effect" where you see how popular a name is, even in a particular region.  I'm a prek teacher, and I never realized how popular the name "Layla" (and various spellings thereof) had gotten, but, in six of the past nine years, I have had a layla in my class of twenty students, and, while I don't have one this year, there's one in the class next door.  I've had zero Kate/Katies since I began in this district nine years ago but, my daughter (a teen Kate) has almost always had another Katie /Kate on her soccer team, and half the time, was one of at least three (one year, four out of 15 of them were a Kate/Katie - oy vey!)

ETA: Also, spellings count.  Everly is 50 on the ssa, but Everlee is also 376, and Everleigh is 100 in 2021.  So, combined, where would that land?

I really noticed this with the kids in my family, there are a good number who were given names that were thought to be fairly uncommon, but not completely unheard of — and turned out to have a multitude of peers with their names. This was pre-internet and social media, which makes the spread more interesting to me. Like how do you hear of 1 or 2 people with a name the entire time you’re growing up, or just have read it in a book or in a movie —-but then 20 years later the name is one of 3 in your kids class? Fascinating. 
But a couple of the names that seemed more common for the area and era— not one other child with the name in the school. 

As far as Erin’s kids names — I’ve never known a female Erin. Except the girl on the tv show the Waltons. I’ve only known it as the male Aaron. I’ve known a few Carson’s , but no Charles (except elderly friends of my grandparents e sons ago) . The Brooklyn / Maddison / Bentley/ Ryan type girl names seemed really popular with kids who are now about 10 —- but not really before or after — in my limited experience. Naming trends are so interesting. 

• Upvote 2