IGNORED

Katie & Travis 4: Still under the Umbrella of Patriarchy

samurai_sarah

4 minutes ago, JermajestyDuggar said:

That’s the crazy part. Most people have jobs and tight schedules. They can’t take a bunch of time off to fly here and there or entertain out of town guests all the time. 

Yeah, I feel like Katie's abnormal life is being judged by normal standards. She doesn't work, money doesn't seem to be an issue. She and Travis likely spend more time together than the average couple. When he was in school, she would often meet him for lunch. Now he works from home (and who knows if he is working full hours). They aren't juggling two 40 hour work weeks and commutes. 

• Upvote 4
  • Bless Your Heart 1
  • I Agree 1

Yeah this would be impossible with work or school, but without it? It makes sense, especially since they likely were traveling like that before for filming. So it may be their normal. Reminds me of the era where people inherited wealth and just went calling a la Downtown Abbey or Jeeves and Wooster …fundie style. 

• Upvote 7
  • Eyeroll 1
  • Haha 2

But we don’t talk about having/bring guests every weekend or having people over every other day. We talk about a couple that has spend max. 14 days alone in 7 months. There is also a difference between having guests for supper or going to his parents everyday for lunch and having house guests or visiting others. The first gives you another 20-22h without company. The latter much less.

• Upvote 18

They were alone on hotel rooms for all the traveling. They do also have their house set up in a way that guests are in the basement. 

I do think it is possible Katie hates being alone. Not alone with Travis, but by herself (and Travis does work, had school). My mom is from a big family and is like that, she would have someone with her every minute of the day if she could.

We know a couple of the sisters longed for privacy and got out of there as soon as they could, but is it possible that some feel the opposite? That that much noise and confusion makes them feel safe and secure, because it is their normal. 

I agree the Clark family is creepy as Hell. But I guess, I see the visitors as Katie getting some help adjusting and going from a house of 20+ to a house of 2 in a new state 

• Upvote 10
  • I Agree 1
  • Love 1

10 hours ago, CanadianMamam said:

Katie comes from a large family with a lot of people, has no kids and no job, there is only so much she can do all day at home with the dog. 

She could volunteer & help others--like her Lord and Savior Jesus told her too!  She could get a freaking job. She could babysit. She could put in a garden. She could learn  language. She could sew. She could learn to bake. The possibilities are endless.

• Upvote 16
  • I Agree 10

4 hours ago, HereticHick said:

She could volunteer & help others--like her Lord and Savior Jesus told her too!  She could get a freaking job. She could babysit. She could put in a garden. She could learn  language. She could sew. She could learn to bake. The possibilities are endless.

What’s funny is that there are tons of ways she could volunteer at the Clark church and school. But it doesn’t seem like she volunteers much. Which is fine by me because I don’t like their church. But I just find it surprising that she doesn’t. 

• Upvote 13

The Clarks are bad news, but Katie also needs to grow up enough to find something to do with her time in New Jersey and get used to being around fewer people. Having a baby won't magically solve all her problems either, Jill Dillard really struggled when her first two sons were little.

• Upvote 17

They could be getting cheap off peak flights etc not having the same work hours as everyone else. I also think it's great that she's going on her own because it works for her, rather than wait for when it fits in with Travis.

There's also a snarky side of me that thinks they are making the most of their "freedom" before having their first kid which for fundies seem to be around a year after they get married which isn't long.

• Upvote 3

On 6/13/2022 at 11:12 AM, BeccaGrim said:

She's with Carlin now I think....Helping them pack. 

It's also Hazel's first birthday so she seems to be in town for the party as well. 

• Upvote 2
  • Eyeroll 1

2 hours ago, JMO said:

It's also Hazel's first birthday so she seems to be in town for the party as well. 

In a few years there will be far too many Bates children/spouses/grandchildren to expect family members to gather for every damn birthday (plus I Love You Day, engagements, weddings & sex reveals). They'll be doing it every week.

• Upvote 5

8 minutes ago, HereticHick said:

In a few years there will be far too many Bates children/spouses/grandchildren to expect family members to gather for every damn birthday (plus I Love You Day, engagements, weddings & sex reveals). They'll be doing it every week.

Yep. Then everyone will know who is actually close and who pretended to be close for the show. 

• Upvote 10

18 minutes ago, JermajestyDuggar said:

Yep. Then everyone will know who is actually close and who pretended to be close for the show. 

They already seem to do much smaller parties. I am curious who will be at Hazel's tonight. Kelton was making 5 chickens. 

• Upvote 2

18 hours ago, CanadianMamam said:

They already seem to do much smaller parties. I am curious who will be at Hazel's tonight. Kelton was making 5 chickens. 

Looks like they had a pretty good turnout.  Katie shared several pics.  She was there, Kelly/Gil and their kids at home,  Whitney was there.  Katie also posted a pic of her on a plane at either sunrise or sunset.  The parents also posted pics which had Tori's kids, Cherin's kids, Whitney's kids and Brandon/Michael.  

• Upvote 3

7 minutes ago, JMO said:

Looks like they had a pretty good turnout.  Katie shared several pics.  She was there, Kelly/Gil and their kids at home,  Whitney was there.  Katie also posted a pic of her on a plane at either sunrise or sunset.  The parents also posted pics which had Tori's kids, Cherin's kids, Whitney's kids and Brandon/Michael.  

I saw Chad and the girls + Tori's boys in Katie's stories, so I assume everyone but Carlin + Evan were there, which makes sense as Carlin began her multi day ECG. 

• Upvote 4

I do feel bad for Carlin having to deal with all this and moving on top of it. That sounds like hell on earth. 

Edited by JermajestyDuggar
  • Upvote 11
  • I Agree 2

21 hours ago, HereticHick said:

They have enough family members now I can't imagine going to every birthday party, especially if they're not in the same area.

• Upvote 4

Now that their dog is pregnant, maybe Katie could do lamaze classes with her.  If she's really hard up.

• Upvote 1
  • Haha 9

On 5/27/2022 at 7:40 AM, JermajestyDuggar said:

I swear Travis’s dad freaks me out more than a lot of fundie dads. He has a very dominating and aggressive personality. It’s so scary that he can do this openly with the camera rolling. Imagine what he does in private. Actually don’t. Fuck.

He has sinister vibes 

• Upvote 4

I guess Katie went back home after Hazel's party last week and now she and Travis are back visiting her family.  Carlin posted some video today that showed them eating dinner with various Bateseseseses and Katie and Travis were there.   Her time line the last 3 weeks has been 1)vacation with the Clark family, 2) fly to TN alone to help Carlin pack and attend Hazel's party then 3) fly home, buy lots of plants and spend a few days at her home with Travis and then 4) they, together,  traveled together back to TN.  

Travis was singing at the church that everyone goes to on Wednesday night.  (Both Carlin and Josie had videos of them at the church.)  

Eating together in Carlin's video was Travis, Katie, Zade, Kelly, Layla, Jed, Ellie, Addllee, Jud, Whitney, Evan and Carlin.  So where was Callie?  Is she serving at Erin or Tori's house today?  Looking after Whitney's kids?  

• Upvote 5
  • Thank You 2

21 hours ago, doubleT said:

Her time line the last 3 weeks has been 1)vacation with the Clark family, 2) fly to TN alone to help Carlin pack and attend Hazel's party then 3) fly home, buy lots of plants and spend a few days at her home with Travis and then 4) they, together,  traveled together back to TN.  

I wouldn’t be surprised if the Clarks are so controlling/abusive that she wants to be away from Clark hq as much as possible. Or have her fam visit so she can be away from her in-laws. 

• Upvote 6

On 6/23/2022 at 8:42 PM, lumpentheologie said:

I wouldn’t be surprised if the Clarks are so controlling/abusive that she wants to be away from Clark hq as much as possible. Or have her fam visit so she can be away from her in-laws. 

I often wonder if Katie has the critical thinking skills to  understand the disfunction in the Clark family.  

• Upvote 8

9 minutes ago, Jewels64 said:

I often wonder if Katie has the critical thinking skills to  understand the disfunction in the Clark family.  

I think she might figure it out over time. She’s so young and she has such little relationship experience. I don’t think she sees it now. But I could imagine her slowest seeing it as she grows and matures. 

• Upvote 9

On 6/13/2022 at 4:01 AM, CanadianMamam said:

They were alone on hotel rooms for all the traveling. They do also have their house set up in a way that guests are in the basement. 

I do think it is possible Katie hates being alone. Not alone with Travis, but by herself (and Travis does work, had school). My mom is from a big family and is like that, she would have someone with her every minute of the day if she could.

We know a couple of the sisters longed for privacy and got out of there as soon as they could, but is it possible that some feel the opposite? That that much noise and confusion makes them feel safe and secure, because it is their normal. 

I agree the Clark family is creepy as Hell. But I guess, I see the visitors as Katie getting some help adjusting and going from a house of 20+ to a house of 2 in a new state 

Catching up and wanted to add to this. My family is the big, loud, always together type. My husbands family is small and not close at all. I love my family but I am not a fan of the big gatherings or everyone always being in each other’s business. My husband is the complete opposite. He loves big, loud gatherings and he would have people over every single weekend if he could. He loves to entertain. It’s part of what makes us work so well as a couple - we balance each other out.

All that to say that I agree with the fact that for Katie especially, having people around and visiting all the time might be what she prefers because it’s what she is used to. And Travis, growing up in a smaller family, could also be the type who really loves lots of people and activity in his home. 

• Upvote 5

• Coconut Flan locked this topic