IGNORED

Evangelical Homeschooling, White Nationalism & Replacement "Theory"

Howl

8 minutes ago, Howl said:

With as many churches as have sex abuse scandals, especially those scandals that involve minors, fundies should shut up about public schools and "grooming".

• Upvote 5
  • I Agree 8

Once again, these morons have no idea what teachers do all day. I teach teen boys (probably will be majority male this fall). "Grooming"? Showers and deodorant. "Leftist politics"? All turned in work will adhere to the appropriate ASME standards. "Sexual chaos"? The testosterone will kill you. If I can get them to sit down, shut up, do their work and turn it in on time and not argue with me about it, it's a win. I don't have time for anything else. Neither do my fellow faculty members. Neither do the other teachers I know who teach all over the country, from Virginia to California. In certain districts, they're still attempting to teach to the test, in other districts they are still trying to integrate in person and remote learning, In my school, we emphasize hands on learning. If I have kids working on a project, you can rest assured the only "indoctrinating" I'm doing is giving them some real world examples of that particular profession. I do not and will not discuss politics OR religion in my classes. There's no reason to do that. The ONLY teachers I know who will bring up religion are the fundamentalist whackjobs. IF my kids talk about church, youth group or whatever, that's fine. I can say I went to church or attended a church function, but I can't and won't mention anything about my personal beliefs. That has NOTHING to do with Intro to Engineering, Drafting and Design or STEM enrichment. Besides, how the hell can you do something like "indoctrination" when your student body is multi-racial, multi-cultural and multi-religious? Yes, where my school is located is rather conservative and Christian, but there are kids from all sorts of backgrounds. Boys with Kippah, girls with hijab, girls in skirts/dresses only, kids wearing church t-shirts. I respect them all and see them all as delightful creations of the Creator. That "indoctrination" bullshit is essentially admitting that their kids' faith can't stand up to questioning. I read something not to long ago that made me think. Trees grown in greenhouses do not have the roots to survive adverse weather because they've never had to deal with it. Trees grown outside with the wind and the rain and temperature changes make the trees stronger. Their kids are greenhouse trees. "My kids" (students) are trees grown in the wild. I hear the conversations they have about Kippah, hijab, etc. Nobody is trying to convert anyone, they're all just trying to learn about each other. 

• Upvote 8
  • Love 8

[Cameron] says the public school system “is doing more grooming for leftist politics and sexual chaos, and racial confusion, than they are doing any real educating about truth, beauty and goodness.”

Quick! Somebody tell him and his followers about this new danger:

Spoiler

FUID-sbUsAArdiQ?format=jpg&name=large

[came across my Twitter feed this morning and made me smile]

• Haha 12

On 5/31/2022 at 8:13 PM, Bluebirdbluebell said:

With as many churches as have sex abuse scandals, especially those scandals that involve minors, fundies should shut up about public schools and "grooming".

Seriously. Allowing children to be aware that there are people different than them is not "grooming". Teaching kids that some kids have different family setups than mom + dad is not "grooming". Allowing kids to be who they are, even if that differs from what's in their pants, is not "grooming". 

Grooming is when an adult friend of the family expresses interest in you and your interests, when your parents dislike them, and then uses them over time to get closer to you and to find ways to be alone with you, so he can get handsy or worse. Grooming is when an authority figure makes you feel special and like they care about you and then uses that to abuse you. Grooming is when someone with power over you has used that power to make you agree to things you don't even realize aren't OK in the moment. Grooming is a process that makes victims easier to access and less aware that they are being abused in the moment, which makes them feel at fault in the aftermath. 

Misusing the term "grooming" is offensive. By using it to describe what is essentially good teaching, it is diluting the meaning. "Grooming" has become yet another meaningless Republican buzzword - no truth in it at all, the real meaning obscured, it's only purpose to rile up the uneducated unthinking "base". 

With the (totally intended, I think) end result being a generation of kids raised to be just as uneducated and bigoted as their parents. I really think that's the end result they are going for. Destroy public schools, keep women at home teaching their kids, and refuse to teach their kids anything they might disagree with. Keep them stupid, keep them indoctrinated, keep them angry at anything different than them. How long before education requirements are removed entirely for girls? 

• Upvote 8
  • I Agree 4

34 minutes ago, Howl said:

I have very complicated feelings around my own experience as a well-educated homeschooling mother who put professional and personal pursuits on the back burner for many years.

We did not homeschool for religious reasons and, for me, the task of educating my own children fluctuated between hard work and a fun creative outlet, depending on the day.  We were often surrounded by religiously motivated homeschoolers because that's how it went with organized activities, and I would say that for the mothers who did have good educational backgrounds themselves, it varied. Some seem to thrive in the role and enjoyed both teaching and learning alongside their kids. For others, it was not a positive experience and there was a fair amount of depression and twisted family relationships and oddness that was minimized in the support groups. I recall a very strange incident within a support group involving a family reported to CPS who was seeking "letters of support" from the other mothers even though the support group did not know her. There was this weird emphasis on political beliefs ("we should support her because she's one of us and we need to protect our homeschooling rights") that completely discounted reality. 

That said, there was no getting around the fact that our family was very extremely financially dependent on one person. For me, that did not translate into being controlled. It did mean I was financially dependent. When my husband had a serious health scare, part of what terrified me was the fact that we were so financially dependent on him and that consumed more emotional energy than it should have. It was shortly thereafter that we began to make changes to get me capable of practicing my profession. Those lost years have not hurt me in the sense that they did not keep me from an excellent career, but they did hurt in the sense that there is lost income that will never be regained. I am at peace with that but any homeschooling mother should count the cost, very literally, because there will be one.

Lost in these conversations around gender roles is that there are times when a mother is extremely dependent and vulnerable and the US does a really poor job of acknowledging and addressing that issues. We put mothers in a situation where they have to figure out how to care for young infants with minimal support from the government, the local community, friends, etc. It shouldn't come as a surprise that families figure it out and then say, meh, we have come this far on our own, why not education too. 

• Upvote 12
  • I Agree 1

The guy who said that evolution meant we'd have a 'crockoduck' shouldn't be leading any kind of educational charge. 

• Upvote 4
  • I Agree 3