IGNORED

iPod Touch is Going Away

47of74

Apple has decided to discontinue the iPod Touch

The iPod as we know it is officially dead. On May 10, Apple announced that it’s quietly discontinuing the $199 iPod Touch, the latest version of its iconic MP3 player. Basically an iPhone without the whole phone part, the iPod Touch will still be available “while supplies last,” and if you’re seeking a dedicated music player or kid-friendly iOS device — or just need an occasional break from your phone — there are some good reasons to scoop one up while you still can.

Though we don’t know exactly how long they’ll be available, as of this writing, the iPod Touch is currently available on Apple’s website as well as most big third-party retailers such as Amazon and Walmart. You can score one in Space Gray, silver, pink, blue, gold and Product Red, a nice range of colors that includes some vibrant hues you won’t find on the new iPhone 13 range. Here’s where to buy the latest iPod Touch, and why you might want to.

Considering virtually everyone uses their smartphone as a music player, what’s the point of buying an iPod these days? For starters, the $199 iPod Touch makes for a great first iOS device for younger users who don’t need a full-on phone just yet — especially considering it’s more than half the price of even the cheapest iPhone.

I thought it had been discontinued some time ago.  I had one about 13 years ago when I realized the BlackBerry Storm I had gotten a couple months before just wasn't going to cut it for music, video, and so on.  I used it a lot over the next couple years and used the BlackBerry mainly for phone and stuff that needed an internet connection and wi-fi wasn't available.  Yes, the iPhone was available at the time I got the BlackBerry but that was back in the days when only AT&T was the only carrier and before Android devices started appearing.  I wasn't about to get an AT&T iPhone since the coverage wasn't all that good in Iowa back then.  Once Verizon was able to start selling the iPhone 4 and I was eligible to upgrade I went and got the iPhone 4 and it largely replaced both my Touch and BlackBerry then as my primary go-to devices.  I think both devices are still sitting around my parent's place.  I'm not sure if they'd even power up now but they're still there.

• Move Along 1