IGNORED

Under the Banner of Heaven on Hulu

Has anyone been watching the Hulu adaptation of Jon Krakuers's Under The Banner of Heaven? I am really enjoying it. 

• Upvote 1

I am in the Middle of Episode 5. It's excellent and full of gut-wrenching performances. This a feature of Mormonism, nor a bug. 

• Upvote 1

Thanks for the heads up.  I read Under the Banner of Heaven not too long after it came out; very powerful account. 

• Upvote 2

The performances of the detectives, especially Andrew Garfied, Wyatt Russell as Dan Laferty, all so good. 

• Upvote 2

I just started it last night. It seems like it would be right up the alley of most people here. I’m just in the first episode, but it’s so interesting to see how religion invades the “state.” So different from my own experience.

• Upvote 4

I’ve been waiting for life to calm down a bit. But I’m thinking a binge watch might be in order for the long weekend. 

• Upvote 1

Really, really good. I love Andrew Garfield, and the subject is so fascinating. And just incredible how there is a whole state that’s run based on one religious sect. That structure is very interesting.

• Upvote 2

I think it’s been done quite well. I kind of know the real story. I like how they tie together modern Mormonism to the origins and how many modern Mormons didn’t even know the full history of Mormonism. Basically everything they show rings true to what I know about Mormonism. 

• Upvote 4
  • I Agree 2

The death scene of Joseph Smith was painstakingly re-created. I have heard it was very accurate down to Joseph Smith emptying his revolver into the lynch mob. Which certainly that is an act of self-defense, it's just the Mormon church sweeps that under the rug portraying Joseph as a lamb lead to the slaughter. If you can't be honest in the little things, how can you be honest in the big? 

• Upvote 2

• 3 weeks later...

I read the book years ago, on my journey through books on Mormonism, fundamentalists and polygamy.

I really enjoyed the show! Daisy Edgar Jones, along with Gil Birmingham and the rest of the actors, are really well cast.

• Upvote 3