IGNORED

Whiskey Powered Cars

47of74

Whiskey could help power cars

About 44 bottles of Scotch whisky are shipped around the globe every second, making it the world's most internationally traded spirit and generating export revenues of £4.5 billion ($5.9 billion) last year. 

But for every liter of whisky, there is a huge amount of waste: around 2.5 kilograms of solid by-products known as draff, 8 liters of liquid known as pot ale, and 10 liters of spent lees, a watery residue. This amounts to 684,000 metric tons of draff and over 2.3 billion liters of pot ale every year, according to Zero Waste Scotland. Some is used for animal feed, and some goes to landfill or is dumped in rivers and oceans.

One biofuel scientist has come up with a creative, high-value use for this waste. Martin Tangney, founder of Celtic Renewables, uses a fermentation process to transform whisky by-products into biochemicals that can replace some of the petrol and diesel used in cars, and can be used to make other oil-based products, too.

• Upvote 2
  • Thank You 2

So basically in order to save the environment we should all drink more.  I can get on-board with that😁

• Upvote 2
  • Haha 2

I have to send this link to my cousin. He loves a good whiskey and is also into cars 😂 He’s gonna love this. 

• Thank You 1