IGNORED

Fractal Burning

47of74

This is one form of artwork I would never do

Two people in Marathon County were electrocuted while they were engaging in a wood-art practice called "fractal burning." Their deaths are calling attention to the risks of the practice, which has spread on social media, and which experts say cannot be practiced safely by home woodworkers.

Tanya M. Rodriguez, 44, and James K. Carolfi, 52, were found dead in their rural Marathon County home on April 6 when firefighters responded to a house fire there. The Marathon County Sheriff's Office identified the deaths as "suspicious" and investigated the scene for signs of arson and homicide. Following a weekslong investigation by local authorities and the Wisconsin State Crime Laboratory, on Thursday Chief Deputy Chad Billeb said during a press conference that the two had died in their garage from electrocution by the electric current they were using to burn fractal patterns in wood. The house fire then started as a result of the same current.

"It's a very dangerous process," Billeb said, that involves using jumper cables to run a high-voltage electric current from a disassembled microwave across a piece of wood. "You can see the potential danger that's there, when you're working with something like the power supply to a microwave." 

At least 33 people have died as a result of fractal burning, according to the American Association of Woodturners, which has sought to educate people about the extraordinarily high risks of the practice. Those who've died include new hobbyists and experienced woodworkers alike, and even in one case "an electrician with many years of experience working with electricity," according to the AAW's website. 

It's one thing to do pyrography - which is using a heated pen to burn designs into wood or other surfaces.  I've done that myself a few times.  This is something a lot more dangerous and a lot more stupid.

• Move Along 1
  • Sad 2
  • Rufus Bless 1
  • WTF 1

I know some people in Marathon County, so I had to check this out to be sure these folks weren't anyone I know. (They weren't. )

• Upvote 3