IGNORED

Tennessee wants to eliminate age of consent for marriage

gustava

11 hours ago, Mrs Ms said:

The only time underage marriage is beneficial for the girl (because let us face it, it won’t be 38yo women marrying 15yo boys in any numbers) is if it’s teen sweethearts and one of them is terminally ill. If marriage is important to them, I have zero issue with it. 

That was a Nicholas Sparks book. 

Edited by JermajestyDuggar
  • Upvote 6
  • Haha 8

I think a lot of more conservative areas hold tight to the lower age because they want to have the option to quickly and quietly marry off pregnant teens. I never understand allowing adults to marry minors - shouldn’t age of consent apply? Don’t some states have a law that a 15-17 year old can get married but only to someone below a certain age? I may be wrong though 

• Upvote 1
  • I Agree 1

11 hours ago, ElizaB said:

I think a lot of more conservative areas hold tight to the lower age because they want to have the option to quickly and quietly marry off pregnant teens. I never understand allowing adults to marry minors - shouldn’t age of consent apply? Don’t some states have a law that a 15-17 year old can get married but only to someone below a certain age? I may be wrong though 

Actually minor marriage is often used as a workaround for age of consent laws. If an adult impregnates a minor, that’s statutory rape - unless they’re married! It’s totally sick. 

• Upvote 9
  • Disgust 3
  • I Agree 7

On 4/8/2022 at 7:54 PM, ElizaB said:

Some states have a "Romeo and Juliet" clause in their statutory rape laws that says consensual sex between two teens isn't rape.  I think there's a specific age gap that can't be exceeded, like a 14 year old boy could have sex  with a consenting* 12 YO but if the boy was 19, it would be statutory rape.

*And, yes, I do take issue with the idea that a 12 YO has the maturity necessary to consent to sexual activity.

• Upvote 5

On 4/7/2022 at 6:15 AM, gustava said:

Tennessee now has a bill that would allow invermectin to be sold over the counter without a prescription.  State has gone full on cray cray.

I can buy Ivermectin at our local farm store any time I want. I've bought it for years, for our pets. Never needed a prescription, it's right on the shelf.   

Edited by Jackie3
  • Upvote 5
  • I Agree 4
  • Thank You 2

10 hours ago, Black Aliss said:

Some states have a "Romeo and Juliet" clause in their statutory rape laws that says consensual sex between two teens isn't rape.  I think there's a specific age gap that can't be exceeded, like a 14 year old boy could have sex  with a consenting* 12 YO but if the boy was 19, it would be statutory rape.

*And, yes, I do take issue with the idea that a 12 YO has the maturity necessary to consent to sexual activity.

I think in NC, based on some research I did recently, that a 16-year-old and 12-year-old are OK, too. I don't understand why any 16-year-old would be wanting to be with a 12-year-old, but there you go.

And why did I have to look this up? A co-workers rebellious, on the wrong path, constantly stoned 16-year-old grandson has a girlfriend he claimed was 14. She had just turned 12, it turned out. She didn't look it, sure, but she had. I'm hoping all the racy photos he has of her don't get out, or he'll be in massive trouble. And they'd been together for a while... like while she was still 11. She's "consenting", but... 12. Seriously. It's disturbing.

Also this girl? Preacher's daughter.

Edited by Alisamer
  • Disgust 1
  • Sad 10
  • WTF 1

This is one reason I really dislike when highschools are 7th -12th grade. I understand that you can't completely keep kids sheltered and apart; however, I don't like what happens when 12 years olds spend too much time with high schoolers. 

• Upvote 7
  • I Agree 2

7 hours ago, ElizaB said:

This is one reason I really dislike when highschools are 7th -12th grade. I understand that you can't completely keep kids sheltered and apart; however, I don't like what happens when 12 years olds spend too much time with high schoolers. 

Thankfully I would say the majority of high schools don’t do that. But I know some do. I think it’s best when it’s just 9-12. But I remember even when a senior would date a freshman and everyone was side-eyeing. This was back in 96-2000 even. Yet it was still a bit sketchy to us. 

Sadly all the Paedo’s will head that way to live I’m guessing. It’s a horribly sad mixed up world for this to be allowed to happen. 

On 4/12/2022 at 3:44 AM, JermajestyDuggar said:

Thankfully I would say the majority of high schools don’t do that. But I know some do. I think it’s best when it’s just 9-12.

In Germany the equivalent of high schools are 5-13, so 10-year-olds to 19- or even 20-year-olds. I finished high school at 20, since I missed a year due to illness, and I remember we had an almost "maternal" feeling towards the little ones. Seriously, they were so young.

My parents met in highschool in 1973 when they were 15 and 18. They stayed together for 47 years until my mother's death, although they only married and had children at 28 and 31. I'm pretty sure they would not have been too happy if me or my brother had brought home an 18 year old bf/gf at 14 or 15, though. They got lucky, but they wouldn't have wanted to risk that for us, I think.

I remember when I was around 13 or 14 everyone wanted a boyfriend from a higher grade, like a 16, 17, 18-year-old - not one of the "children" from our own grade (we of course ignored the fact that we were still children ourselves). But once we got to the higher grades ourselves we looked back at the 14 or 15-year-old girls and they just seemed so young. You really side-eyed the boys that got a girlfriend that young. Although one or two grades lower was still pretty normal. But us girls did notice that it was a bit weird of our classmates to want to date someone who seemed so young. Not all of the boys did, of course, but enough that it was a thing.

• Upvote 5

2 hours ago, Alaniel said:

In Germany the equivalent of high schools are 5-13, so 10-year-olds to 19- or even 20-year-olds. I finished high school at 20, since I missed a year due to illness, and I remember we had an almost "maternal" feeling towards the little ones. Seriously, they were so young.

My parents met in highschool in 1973 when they were 15 and 18. They stayed together for 47 years until my mother's death, although they only married and had children at 28 and 31. I'm pretty sure they would not have been too happy if me or my brother had brought home an 18 year old bf/gf at 14 or 15, though. They got lucky, but they wouldn't have wanted to risk that for us, I think.

I remember when I was around 13 or 14 everyone wanted a boyfriend from a higher grade, like a 16, 17, 18-year-old - not one of the "children" from our own grade (we of course ignored the fact that we were still children ourselves). But once we got to the higher grades ourselves we looked back at the 14 or 15-year-old girls and they just seemed so young. You really side-eyed the boys that got a girlfriend that young. Although one or two grades lower was still pretty normal. But us girls did notice that it was a bit weird of our classmates to want to date someone who seemed so young. Not all of the boys did, of course, but enough that it was a thing.

In our yearbook, we had superlatives like “most likely to succeed.” There was also a category “most likely to date a freshman” so they were basically called out for it. 

• Upvote 4

8 hours ago, JermajestyDuggar said:

In our yearbook, we had superlatives like “most likely to succeed.” There was also a category “most likely to date a freshman” so they were basically called out for it. 

I wonder what happened to those guys? Do you know?

Our superlatives weren't in the yearbook but at the end of the year senior parties. I think I got best legs (I'm 6' 3" with a 40 inch inseam and for track we wore spandex and my field hockey kilt would have broke the dress code badly if it were a regular skirt outside sports so yay for people I wasn't friends with for noticing that? /sarcasm Eh...)  but I wasn't there, I was really checked out by then and was into drugs and partying. My good friend Bowen did get most likely to be on SNL and he's now on SNL so there's that haha.

• Upvote 2

I don't remember too many high school seniors dating freshmen when I was in high school, as most people tended to date someone in their graduating class, or someone dating someone one or at most 2 years apart from them. I haven't heard of too many people that are still married to their high school sweetheart, or if they did, they didn't get married until well after high school.

7 minutes ago, ADoyle90815 said:

I don't remember too many high school seniors dating freshmen when I was in high school, as most people tended to date someone in their graduating class, or someone dating someone one or at most 2 years apart from them. I haven't heard of too many people that are still married to their high school sweetheart, or if they did, they didn't get married until well after high school.

My sister is still married to her high school sweet heart and they are still married. They were two grades apart. They started dating when she was a freshman and he was a junior. My parents were not happy about it for the first year they dated. They thought he was too old for her. But they finally came around when they realized my sister was the much wilder one in the couple and she was less likely to party and get drunk if she was with him. Because he never drank. 

Edited by JermajestyDuggar
  • Upvote 2