IGNORED

Josie & Kelton 8: Kelton has a new Grill - Boredom Ensues

samurai_sarah

I just have a puny little grill (like this one, but without the shelf.... now I want a shelf, lol), and there are only 2 of us, but when I grill, I grill a lot! I grilled last week, and it was 4 lbs of fajitas, 2 chicken breasts, 2 lbs of ground beef into burgers, a pack of sausages, and some potatoes. But I meal plan around using that meat all week, as well as putting some in the freezer for easy meals later too.

When I lived in Germany, we had a nice grill on the porch, and grilled year round, even when we had to brush the snow off first. But we're from Texas, so maybe it's in the blood.... I can think of one Thanksgiving when my (now-ex) husband was frying turkey in the snow 😆

• Upvote 1
  • Love 2

The main reason I won't grill in the winter is that I won't grill in the dark due to getting food poisoning once as a teenager when my dad grilled at night. 

I do want to add grill plates to our fire pit.

• Upvote 2

When I grill, I tend to grill a LOT.  I try not to make meat the focus of our meals as much as possible, but my husband really loves meat so we have it at least half the time.  But I like to make BBQ chicken thighs, burgers, and hot dogs all at once because burgers and hot dogs make great lunches/dinners and leftover chicken makes a fabulous chicken salad.

@CanadianMamam if appropriate cooking temp is a concern but you still might LIKE to grill in the winter evenings, getting a digital meat thermometer is just the ticket.  I bought one after years of using a mediocre thermometer and I LOVE it.  I temp all my meat now and it's the best.  I am hella paranoid about chicken and I tend to like it really overcooked as a result.

• I Agree 4
  • Love 1

Our grill is so old and Rusty. It’s got to be at least 12 years old. But my husband refuses to get another since it still works. Usually I’m the one using things until they fall apart while my husband wants to replace. I guess I’m just afraid that one day it will just go “plop” and fall apart from the rust into a pile on the ground. It’s also just plain ugly to look at. 

44 minutes ago, GuineaPigCourtship said:

@CanadianMamam if appropriate cooking temp is a concern but you still might LIKE to grill in the winter evenings, getting a digital meat thermometer is just the ticket.  I bought one after years of using a mediocre thermometer and I LOVE it.  I temp all my meat now and it's the best.  I am hella paranoid about chicken and I tend to like it really overcooked as a result.

Let me second the love for the meat thermometer! What an awesome tool, and it prevents me from overcooking pork and chicken, and allows me to cook prime rib exactly how I want it. Prime rib is a rare holiday treat in my house, and I surely don't want to spend that much money just to ruin it by overcooking it. 

• Upvote 7

55 minutes ago, ifosterkittens said:

Let me second the love for the meat thermometer! What an awesome tool, and it prevents me from overcooking pork and chicken, and allows me to cook prime rib exactly how I want it. Prime rib is a rare holiday treat in my house, and I surely don't want to spend that much money just to ruin it by overcooking it. 

I'll 3rd the meat thermometer! Never learned how to cook meat because someone else always did it and I was responsible for the sides. I've also found that when you ask people how long to cook a cut of meat for, they love to give you helpful advice like "until it's done." Um. Thanks. Very helpful.

A meat thermometer, a kitchen scale, and The Better Homes & Gardens cookbook has been my go-to for learning how to cook meat.

• Upvote 3

My partner and I downsized our grill/BBQ just this summer. We had a huge one that we only used once or twice a summer when we had a load of people over to eat. Our new one is a Weber and it's the perfect size for meat and vege for two of us. When we have guests round it's still big enough to do the meats then the vege we do inside or just stick to salads and breads. Since we downsized we have been grilling about 50% of the time over summer, it's autumn now and daylight saving has just ended and we are still grilling, it's not too cold yet! I think the main reason is that the smaller one is quicker to heat up and easier and quicker to clean.

• Upvote 2

16 hours ago, GuineaPigCourtship said:

When I grill, I tend to grill a LOT.  I try not to make meat the focus of our meals as much as possible, but my husband really loves meat so we have it at least half the time.  But I like to make BBQ chicken thighs, burgers, and hot dogs all at once because burgers and hot dogs make great lunches/dinners and leftover chicken makes a fabulous chicken salad.

I have a digital meat thermometer! I love it and it does help with the food-fears but not enough to push me past my reluctance to grill in the dark.  Honestly between hating both the cold and the dark, I don't see myself as a winter griller. 

• Upvote 2

19 hours ago, rainbowbabycakes said:

I just have a puny little grill (like this one, but without the shelf.... now I want a shelf, lol), and there are only 2 of us, but when I grill, I grill a lot! I grilled last week, and it was 4 lbs of fajitas, 2 chicken breasts, 2 lbs of ground beef into burgers, a pack of sausages, and some potatoes. But I meal plan around using that meat all week, as well as putting some in the freezer for easy meals later too.

When I lived in Germany, we had a nice grill on the porch, and grilled year round, even when we had to brush the snow off first. But we're from Texas, so maybe it's in the blood.... I can think of one Thanksgiving when my (now-ex) husband was frying turkey in the snow 😆

Not from Texas, but I feel that. My boyfriend is like the USPS. Neither rain, nor snow, nor sleet, nor hail shall keep him from the grill. We don't have meat at every meal, but if he's planned to grill, nothing short of a burn ban will stop that. 

• Upvote 3
  • Haha 2

9 hours ago, eljayem said:

My partner and I downsized our grill/BBQ just this summer. We had a huge one that we only used once or twice a summer when we had a load of people over to eat. Our new one is a Weber and it's the perfect size for meat and vege for two of us. When we have guests round it's still big enough to do the meats then the vege we do inside or just stick to salads and breads. Since we downsized we have been grilling about 50% of the time over summer, it's autumn now and daylight saving has just ended and we are still grilling, it's not too cold yet! I think the main reason is that the smaller one is quicker to heat up and easier and quicker to clean.

I want to downsize too. Our rusty old one is quite big. We don’t need a big one. We rarely entertain. 

We have a smallish grill, but it’s the perfect size for the two of us (+ little kid), would still work fine if we had another couple or the grandparents Ora couple of friends over, for more people we’d probably have to eat in shifts.

But isn’t that what barbecues are always like? At first everyone is waiting until FINALLY the first steaks/sausages are ready, after a while people just take meat from the big plate, and then the next step is someone asking around “who wants more meat? We still have sausages left, and there’s more on the grill!” and people are like “Aww thanks, but I am so full, I really can’t eat another one.” 😂

• Upvote 3
  • I Agree 1

It would be more interesting if it were one of these types of grills.

Gold-Silver-Cross-Single-Teeth-grillz-Men-s-Hiphop-Top-Fangs-Tooth-grills-dental-For-women.thumb.jpg.8cdb909c1eec0ceb18af5135505e070c.jpg

(Sadly I could not find a big JESUS grill picture. I guess they're not as popular as they were in the late 00s)

• Upvote 2
  • Haha 14

We have a family of 6 and do entertain a lot. We have a medium size grill but I would like bigger. I sometimes am making a dozen hot dogs and a dozen hamburgers at once, plus veggies. I hate cooking inside in the summer. 

• Upvote 1

• 2 weeks later...

Josie just posted on Instagram that she is off wedding dress shopping with Lydia. Kelly was also in the car along with some other young women. How can Kelly abandon her homemaker responsibilities so frequently? She’s often gallivanting away from the house; so who is doing the cooking, cleaning, home schooling, grocery shopping, laundry or just being there for her younger kids (6 of whom are still under 18)? I’m sure this doesn’t impact on her “joyful availability “ for Gill but she really seems to have abdicated from all the actual work elements of being a SAHM. Do as I say not as I do. 

• Upvote 5
  • I Agree 3
  • Love 1

9 minutes ago, Angelface said:

Josie just posted on Instagram that she is off wedding dress shopping with Lydia. Kelly was also in the car along with some other young women. How can Kelly abandon her homemaker responsibilities so frequently? She’s often gallivanting away from the house; so who is doing the cooking, cleaning, home schooling, grocery shopping, laundry or just being there for her younger kids (6 of whom are still under 18)? I’m sure this doesn’t impact on her “joyful availability “ for Gill but she really seems to have abdicated from all the actual work elements of being a SAHM. Do as I say not as I do. 

I've been wondering the same thing! She still has 2 very young boys at home. Maybe Tori is her back up 🤔

• Upvote 1

Kelly hasn’t been doing any of the housework and caretaking for years. She’s checked out of that role a long time ago. 

• Upvote 10
  • I Agree 7
  • Love 1

Even when she had lots of young children Kelly and Gil would find the time and money to leave their children to take mini-vacations. I doubt Kelly has truly parented or taken care of the house in a long, long time. She was the fundie mother who handed newborns over to a buddy and struggled to recite the names of her children. She has always been pretty checked out. 

• Upvote 10
  • I Agree 1
  • Love 1

34 minutes ago, Angelface said:

Ellie and Isaiah are in Florida at the moment. So it's Addallee and the three younger ones. But it is also Easter weekend, so no schooling happening. 

Kelly defintirly puts too much on her younger children but at the same time, she should be allowed to leave the house and do things like this.

The other women are Chloe (who helped Josie organize the proposal) and two of Lydia's sisters. 

• Upvote 6

I think its Addalee sitting behind Kelley so Callie is in charge of cooking and the rest again !

IMG_0324.jpg

• Upvote 2

Maybe Gil is in charge of cooking, cleaning, childcare and schooling. I crack myself up at times.🤣

• Haha 23

16 minutes ago, Fundielandobserver said:

I think its Addalee sitting behind Kelley so Callie is in charge of cooking and the rest again !

IMG_0324.jpg

Yeo. I realized it was Addallee from the next story. Poor Callie. I feel really bad for her. 

• Upvote 4

• 2 weeks later...

Has Josie ever mentioned who watches her girls when she and Kelton are both working? Yesterday Josie posted about KJ helping her at work (or maybe just visiting), and I didn’t see or hear the girls. Plus Josie was in the big truck. Would she transport the girls in that vehicle? And then last night she and Kelton had a work function. I’m assuming one of her sisters babysat as KJ was watching the Paine children last evening. Josie seems to work quite a bit and hs never mentioned a sitter, yet you don’t see/hear the kids when she posts work stuff. This seems very different from Carlin and Layla’s situation. Maybe Michaela babysits? 

• Upvote 1

Josie has mentioned a babysitter in her Instagram stories but she hasn’t said who the sitter is. For some reason I got the impression that it wasn’t one of her sisters. 

• Upvote 2
  • Thank You 3

I would guess it’s a sitter hired to watch them and probably doesn’t want to be on social media. I wouldn’t if I was her sitter.

• Upvote 5

• Coconut Flan locked this topic