IGNORED

M Is for Mama 13: Taking Selfies to Glorify the Lord

nelliebelle1197

9 minutes ago, patsymae said:

Ah, I get it now. and I can sympathize. Mine also was like another appendage. (PS, I used a pacifier. It was that or throw one of us out the window. I didn't care which one.)

My clinger hated pacifiers from day one. He would make a face like I was giving him a cactus to suck on and spit it out every time. He also refused bottles. Like I said. CLINGER. 

• Upvote 4
  • Love 1

I don't think there's anything wrong with her girls' nicknames. In fact Adelaide nickname Della is a name I might consider. Behindthename actually lists Della as a possible nickname for Adelaide. 

Adelheid is a german form of Adelaide and one of the most common nicknames for that name is Heidi. 

Addy and Evie names are popular for girls. Names like Adelaide, Adeline, Adelyn, Addison, etc. or Evangeline, Evelyn, Everly, etc.

Magnolia is a little more unusual, but becoming more popular. Actually it's a lot more popular than I knew. It was #177 in 2020. Behindthename recommends Nola as a nickname. 

• Upvote 4

3 hours ago, EmiSue said:

I adore Anne of Green Gables and that film version in particular, and I'm struggling to think where she got Adelaide from it. Or why she thinks it has anything to do with the rest of the post about...her book🙄

I just looked up who Adelaide was in the series. She’s extremely obscure. She is the mother of a student of Anne’s. The mother named Adelaide abandoned her family and later died. Why would that be an inspiration? Her character sounds terrible. 

• Upvote 3
  • WTF 2
  • Haha 2
  • Thank You 1

Braggie gives me flashbacks sometimes.  My mother is an absolute professional at praising/bragging on other people while surreptitiously making it all about her.  The most maddening part is that she's a truly oblivious narcissist and has absolutely no idea she's doing anything wrong, and would be horrified if you even suggested such a thing.  Sigh.  

• Upvote 4
  • Sad 2

2 hours ago, JermajestyDuggar said:

I just looked up who Adelaide was in the series. She’s extremely obscure. She is the mother of a student of Anne’s. The mother named Adelaide abandoned her family and later died. Why would that be an inspiration? Her character sounds terrible. 

Wow. I've read the books several times and would have never come up with this. I was assuming she got it from the book Heidi and just got confused. 

• Upvote 3

7 hours ago, EmiSue said:

I adore Anne of Green Gables and that film version in particular, and I'm struggling to think where she got Adelaide from it. Or why she thinks it has anything to do with the rest of the post about...her book🙄

Had the same thought! I wonder if she’s mixing it up with “Cordelia” ? 

3 hours ago, JermajestyDuggar said:

Now I’m convinced she’s thinking Cordelia. Adelaide is not in the movies, I know that for sure.

Especially since she randomly took the opening lines from Pride and Prejudice to torture them into her thoughts on motherhood. I wonder if Abbie ever gets embarrassed by things like that. 

• Upvote 6

8 hours ago, anachronistic said:

Her nicknames are odd. I’d never guess Della from Adelaide. IME nicknames usually come from the stressed part of a longer name or the beginning consonant sound, often with an ‘ie’ sound at the end. So Nicholas — Nick. Deborah —Deb. Sebastian— Sebbie. Adelaide would nickname to Addie for me. Della is beautiful it just doesn’t….match up, if that makes any sense.

I've been sitting here trying to work out where "Adelaide" is stressed - for me I think it's the "de" syllable, so Della makes sense to me. Not sure if this is from the Australian habit of dropping/swallowing the first syllable though, or whether my mind is now playing tricks from overthinking it.

• Upvote 1

9 hours ago, mhainlen said:

Wow. I've read the books several times and would have never come up with this. I was assuming she got it from the book Heidi and just got confused. 

I thought the same thing. Adelaide is a variant of Adelheid which is where Heidi comes from. I’m pretty sure the Query family has an Adelheid but calls her Heidi. They are a fundie family the Duggars know. 

9 hours ago, Ozlsn said:

I've been sitting here trying to work out where "Adelaide" is stressed - for me I think it's the "de" syllable, so Della makes sense to me. Not sure if this is from the Australian habit of dropping/swallowing the first syllable though, or whether my mind is now playing tricks from overthinking it.

In the US, most people would hit the first syllable hard when pronouncing Adelaide.

• Upvote 4
  • I Agree 4

So I woke up thinking about the Adelaide:Anne mystery. I was wrong. The Adelaide character JerMajestyDuggar mentioned who left her family was a made up character for the Anne of Avonlea sequel movie (not in the books I don’t think). I was thinking of the Anne of Green Gables movie.

• Upvote 2

13 minutes ago, neuroticcat said:

So I woke up thinking about the Adelaide:Anne mystery. I was wrong. The Adelaide character JerMajestyDuggar mentioned who left her family was a made up character for the Anne of Avonlea sequel movie (not in the books I don’t think). I was thinking of the Anne of Green Gables movie.

You were thinking of it because that's what Abbie mentioned. I've seen Anne of Avonlea/Anne of Green Gables the Sequel many times too, and I get that random things get stuck in your head. But with Braggie, you know it's an attempt to feel and be pretentious. What a bizarre post all around, even for her 

• Upvote 1
  • I Agree 2

23 hours ago, SunnySide said:

This is amazing. Whomever did it, FJ-er or not, thank you. 

It was probably Braggie's mom!

• Upvote 1
  • Haha 1

4 minutes ago, Cults-r-us said:

It was probably Braggie's mom!

I wish! Her mother feeds into her ego. Women like Braggie and JillRod don’t just spring up out of nowhere. Their parents allow horrible behavior to go unchecked and make them entitled. I blamed both the mothers and fathers of Braggie and Jill for their abhorrent behavior. And of course their husbands for going along with there shitty behaviors. 

• Upvote 3

22 hours ago, JermajestyDuggar said:

Would that be Emmaline's mother? From the Anne of Avonlea movie? Anne has a fling with the widower father.

• Upvote 3

1 minute ago, Leftitinmysnood said:

Would that be Emmaline's mother? From the Anne of Avonlea movie? Anne has a fling with the widower father.

Yes. There are so many other uncommon names from those books to choose from like Cordelia, Emmeline, or even Marilla. Yet she chooses that random character’s name? 

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, JermajestyDuggar said:

I wish! Her mother feeds into her ego. Women like Braggie and JillRod don’t just spring up out of nowhere. Their parents allow horrible behavior to go unchecked and make them entitled. I blamed both the mothers and fathers of Braggie and Jill for their abhorrent behavior. And of course their husbands for going along with there shitty behaviors. 

Also family members get worn down by the Braggies of the world and take the path of least resistance (which ends up to be more enabling).

• Upvote 3

5 minutes ago, Cults-r-us said:

Also family members get worn down by the Braggies of the world and take the path of least resistance (which ends up to be more enabling).

I think both Shaun and David do this. 

• I Agree 1

4 hours ago, JermajestyDuggar said:

Yes. There are so many other uncommon names from those books to choose from like Cordelia, Emmeline, or even Marilla. Yet she chooses that random character’s name? 

I may have chosen one of those other names for one my kids. . .:562479b0cbc9f_whistle1:

• Upvote 2
  • Love 5

Yep Emmaline Harris’ mother Adelaide Pringle was a super minor character who doesn’t even have her own entry in the AoGG wiki 😅 I didn’t remember her at all despite having read the Anne books (all 8…) at least a couple dozen times.

I’ve seen the movies maybe 2-3 times because I preferred the books.

https://anneofgreengables.fandom.com/wiki/Emmeline_Harris

Ah, with more reading I’m gathering that Adelaide wasn’t even a character in the books.

Edited by GiggleOfGirls
  • Upvote 4

Yes, the first Kevin Sullivan movie was the only one that really followed the books. The second was loosely based on Windy Poplars. The third was a train wreck. 

I get hearing a name and liking it, even if the character is unimportant. It is just random to reference it back to the movie when it’s not really connected. That’s why it reminds me of the P and P quote too. Perhaps she loves those things or perhaps she just knows her audience - either way it’s a way to showcase herself and her interests…in a post supposedly about her daughter (not that I’m a fan of instagrammers showcasing kids on socials). I imagine it’s nearly impossible to be an influencer without eventually believing every thing about yourself is interesting and a point of connection. 

The idea of influencers is the worst. As others have noted on this thread, I fundamentally don’t think it’s compatible with Christian formation. The cult of Christian celebrity is the worst and socials just let unhealthy people self create that. 

• Upvote 5
  • I Agree 2

1 hour ago, neuroticcat said:

Yes, the first Kevin Sullivan movie was the only one that really followed the books. The second was loosely based on Windy Poplars. The third was a train wreck. 

YES. There’s so much great content in all the books, and the third movie recklessly tossed it by the wayside.

• I Agree 2
  • Thank You 1

She'll never stop talking smack about Shiloh.  Ever.  

He's three years old.  If you want his room clean and his clothing put away, you have to help him.  And that doesn't mean pushing it off on your other kids.

But of course, she had to throw in where she bought the stuff in his room.  Because SHOPPING ADDICT.

277522371_401075481832322_4533883293818461654_n.jpg

• Upvote 5
  • Angry 1
  • Disgust 1
  • Sad 1
  • WTF 3

She sets him up for failure with her ridiculously high expectations. Then publicly puts him down for her own shitty parenting. 

• Upvote 15
  • Sad 1
  • I Agree 3

She also posted a video of him flying a kite outside wearing nothing but a diaper, with the caption "Always naked."  Now letting kids run naked is not something I ever did, nor were any of mine inclined to do it.  And obviously people can do whatever they want inside their homes.  What I have a problem with is a) her letting him play outside, running on pavement and East Texas grass (which is full of bur sedge grass, aka stickaburrs) naked.  If he tripped and fell running that fast on that driveway his entire front would be skinned up.  b) How does ANYONE in this day and age, especially with things like Josh Duggar's trial going on in the public eye, post their little kids like that for literally the entire world to see and download.  I do. not. get. it.

Edited by danvillebelle
  • Upvote 10
  • I Agree 3

On 3/31/2022 at 5:42 PM, Hane said:

I used to be judgy about all outdoor cats, until a friend who works with feral cats set me straight. She regularly feeds and captures feral cats and takes them to the vet for spaying/neutering and other necessary medical care. She told me that, despite her very hospitable home, some feral rescues absolutely refuse to live indoors, so she meets their needs to the best of her ability.

The kitty who chose me as his person still so far refuses the litter box and runs outside when the door is open (unless he's outside already, then he runs indoors, as is the way of cats). So he's an indoor/outdoor kitty at least for now. I don't yet let him in the house unsupervised, but he can come in and stay as long as he wants while I'm there. I'd prefer an all-indoor situation, but he doesn't seem OK with that for now, so here we are. Some cats just get used to being outdoors and don't adjust well to life inside, while some prefer indoors and consider the outside a scary place.

However, we don't seem to have many predators here. If there were, I'd keep him inside. And he has a warm safe place to hide even while outdoors.

• Upvote 4

• nelliebelle1197 locked this topic