IGNORED

Disney CEO Admits He Screwed Up

47of74

Yeah Disney really fucked up 

Disney will pause all political donations in Florida after intense criticism over how the media giant responded to state legislation that would limit discussion of LGBTQ issues in schools, CEO Bob Chapek said in a letter to employees Friday.

Chapek also apologized to his colleagues for not taking a more forceful stand against what activists call the "Don't Say Gay" legislation in Florida. Disney employs tens of thousands of people at Walt Disney World in Orlando.

"It is clear that this is not just an issue about a bill in Florida, but instead yet another challenge to basic human rights. You needed me to be a stronger ally in the fight for equal rights and I let you down. I am sorry," Chapek said in the letter, which was published on Disney's website.

Chapek said the company would "immediately" increase support for advocacy groups fighting against similar legislation in other states.

Yeah little late Bob. Instead of pausing all donations how about spending on those who opposed the bill?  

• WTF 2
  • Thank You 4

I'm an employee here in Central Florida who was one of THOUSANDS who spoke up about this. Feel free to AMA !

• Love 9

I guess Bob keeps wanting to dig that hole so Disney employees are stepping up again

Demanding the Walt Disney Company use its considerable influence in Florida to stop the state's so-called "Don't Say Gay" bill from going into effect, workers at the company are staging walkouts this week with plans to launch a full-scale nationwide work stoppage next Tuesday.

The "Disney Do Better Walkout" is being organized by the company's LGBTQIA+ community and allies, who warned in an open letter this week that CEO Bob Chapek's response to the legislation has "utterly failed to match the magnitude of the [bill's] threat to LGBTQIA+ safety."

Chapek denounced the legislation in an internal message to employees last week, but said making a public statement against the bill would "further divide and inflame" and would not "change outcomes or minds."

Organizers of the walkout argue that the company, as a major political donor and the largest private employer in Florida, could do a considerable amount to stop DeSantis from signing the bill.

• Upvote 6

I’m glad this guy is publicly admitting his mistake.  I’m a big believer in “when you know better, you do better.”  

While their motivations may very well be $$$ driven, I like that Disney’s apology is a big news article.  It’s keeping this awful bill in the headlines and this is highlighting how gross it is to stand by while others are being mistreated.

All that being said, I hate it that Disney didn’t immediately stand up for their LGBT employees & their families.  I am so sorry to the LGBT community that they are dealing with this awfulness.

Edited by HereComesTreble
  • Upvote 8
  • I Agree 1

23 minutes ago, HereComesTreble said:

I’m glad this guy is publicly admitting his mistake.  I’m a big believer in “when you know better, you do better.”  

While their motivations may very well be $$$ driven, I like that Disney’s apology is a big news article.  It’s keeping this awful bill in the headlines and this is highlighting how gross it is to stand by while others are being mistreated.

All that being said, I hate it that Disney didn’t immediately stand up for their LGBT employees & their families.  I am so sorry to the LGBT community that they are dealing with this awfulness.

What you said! They should have done better in the first place but maybe now they'll think to step up early next time. Although it's unlikely it'll come up again - I don't think California or Hawaii are going to be introducing that sort of legislation. South Carolina might, but most people don't even know Disney has a resort there, and it's small compared to their presence in Florida.

34 minutes ago, 47of74 said:

I guess Bob keeps wanting to dig that hole so Disney employees are stepping up again

Oh please let that be tomorrow and not next Tuesday. I haven't been to Walt Disney World in ages and we're going down on Friday. (Planned and paid for all long before this legislation was a thing.)

I know that's horrible of me. I support them, and agree with them, but don't want my vacation to be affected which is selfish. 

• Upvote 5

This was just posted was Disneyland’s Magic Key (annual pass) FB page:

45A6F27E-ADA3-486E-BE60-BEB035FD365B.thumb.jpeg.b67b509ba0422e670ca28b676f378978.jpeg

Good on them. 

• Upvote 5

On 3/22/2022 at 12:14 PM, HereComesTreble said:

This was just posted was Disneyland’s Magic Key (annual pass) FB page:

45A6F27E-ADA3-486E-BE60-BEB035FD365B.thumb.jpeg.b67b509ba0422e670ca28b676f378978.jpeg

Good on them. 

Many different divisions posted similar messages- DisneyCareers to Imagineering to ESPN, National Geographic, Disney+, etc. What makes it so great is that all the art and postings were made by LGBTQ+ employees and not corporate. 

Disney also has retail locations in many states- Texas, Oklahoma, etc. where other restrictive laws are being passed. We are very motivated to keep speaking up and influencing change. 

• Upvote 6

• 3 weeks later...