IGNORED

Creation Museum outfit

BlondeAgent007

GI couldn't figure out where else this would be appropriate, so if it needs to be removed from Snark, that's fine.

This November we will be driving across the country.  I plan to cross a visit to the Creation Museum off my bucket list.  I only want to go in full fundie garb, and will be outfitting my daughter and husband as well.  Is there a place besides the thrift store that the families typically shop at?  I live in the northeast, and the only fundies I encounter in real life are Hassidic (sp) Jews and the Amish.  I want to go full all out, as I have been dying to go since I was clued in to it's existence.  

• Upvote 3
  • Eyeroll 1
  • Haha 1

So you want to cosplay fundie? Well whatever floats your boat! I’m guessing you can find stuff at goodwill. Not too many fundies wear frumpers anymore. But wearing a long denim skirt is very fundie. One down to your ankles. And of course a loose fitting shirt that goes all the way to your neck and has sleeves of some sort. 

• Upvote 5

37 minutes ago, BlondeAgent007 said:

GI couldn't figure out where else this would be appropriate, so if it needs to be removed from Snark, that's fine.

This November we will be driving across the country.  I plan to cross a visit to the Creation Museum off my bucket list.  I only want to go in full fundie garb, and will be outfitting my daughter and husband as well.  Is there a place besides the thrift store that the families typically shop at?  I live in the northeast, and the only fundies I encounter in real life are Hassidic (sp) Jews and the Amish.  I want to go full all out, as I have been dying to go since I was clued in to it's existence.  

I have a serious question. I assume since you're cosplaying fundies you don't really believe in what TCM has to offer. Why would you spend your money to support a place like that?

• Upvote 3
  • I Agree 6

For husband: short sleeve plaid shirt with nice blue jeans (Levis or Wranglers).  Standard uniform of many, many conservative men in Texas.   

I don't think there is any "fundy" male outfit. 

• Upvote 4

35 minutes ago, Howl said:

Standard uniform of many, many conservative men in Texas.   

Back in the day, there was the VF dress code of a white shirt and khaki skirt for women or trousers for men:

1339318493_2006VF22family22.thumb.jpg.0e5ec553594fbd1aa016f44868181e9b.jpg

• Upvote 4

Frumpers did/do have a purpose.  They were/are wearable in all stages of pregnancy, post pregnancy and between pregnancy. 

• Upvote 6

3 hours ago, SisterCupcake said:

I have a serious question. I assume since you're cosplaying fundies you don't really believe in what TCM has to offer. Why would you spend your money to support a place like that?

I personally wouldn’t spend my money on it. But if I somehow won tickets to it, I would go. I wouldn’t spend any money buying food. But I am curious enough to want to go and look around. 

• Upvote 6

10 minutes ago, JermajestyDuggar said:

I personally wouldn’t spend my money on it. But if I somehow won tickets to it, I would go. I wouldn’t spend any money buying food. But I am curious enough to want to go and look around. 

It's pretty pricey, I hear. I don't think I'd pay, either. And if I won tickets, I think I'd want to go, but I might give myself away snorting at the captions or seeing Jesus riding the velociraptor...

• Haha 12
  • Love 1

5 minutes ago, Four is Enough said:

It's pretty pricey, I hear. I don't think I'd pay, either. And if I won tickets, I think I'd want to go, but I might give myself away snorting at the captions or seeing Jesus riding the velociraptor...

I could bite my lip until it bled and then run to the ladies room 🤣

• Haha 5

25 minutes ago, Howl said:

Frumpers did/do have a purpose.  They were/are wearable in all stages of pregnancy, post pregnancy and between pregnancy. 

How did breastfeeding work though? 

For the record, the thought of a family cosplaying fundies is both hilarious and a bit uncomfortable to me. If it were Ultra-Orthodox Jewish, for example, it would smack of cultural appropriation. In this case, IDK. I keep laughing. (And I speak as someone raised skirts-only until we figured out how to tie our parents up in theological knots.)  

• Upvote 4

5 hours ago, BlondeAgent007 said:

I want to go full all out, as I have been dying to go since I was clued in to it's existence

Me too!  

• Love 1

20 minutes ago, Audrey2 said:

So will you go for a head covering as well or not?

The head covering is the best part! As to the breastfeeding question, I think you would raise your shirt and feed your baby out the side of the frumper (which is a loose, boxy jumper). 

• Upvote 1

11 minutes ago, Cults-r-us said:

The head covering is the best part! As to the breastfeeding question, I think you would raise your shirt and feed your baby out the side of the frumper (which is a loose, boxy jumper). 

Makes sense. It's just that I don't recall seeing fundie women breastfeeding in jumpers. Usually it was long skirts with t-shirts over the top. I am almost disappointed my kids are far too old to attempt this feat. I am imagining a tangled mess with the big headed ones but maybe there is a way to loosen a strap.

Frumpers would have been more fundie practical if they had buttons down the front for nursing. 

• Upvote 1
  • I Agree 1

1 hour ago, noseybutt said:

How did breastfeeding work though? 

For the record, the thought of a family cosplaying fundies is both hilarious and a bit uncomfortable to me. If it were Ultra-Orthodox Jewish, for example, it would smack of cultural appropriation. In this case, IDK. I keep laughing. (And I speak as someone raised skirts-only until we figured out how to tie our parents up in theological knots.)  

It is uncomfortable because you feel like you're making fun of them. But, riddle me this: what if the fundies are dressing up like us, for say All Fundie's Eve? If they are dressing like me, that also will involve a trip to the thrift store! If we/them dress and act like Jill Rod, we might frighten the nice people at the Creation Museum.

1 minute ago, JermajestyDuggar said:

Frumpers would have been more fundie practical if they had buttons down the front for nursing. 

True but you still have to tackle the shirt underneath.

• Upvote 1

3 minutes ago, Cults-r-us said:

It is uncomfortable because you feel like you're making fun of them. But, riddle me this: what if the fundies are dressing up like us, for say All Fundie's Eve? If they are dressing like me, that also will involve a trip to the thrift store! If we/them dress and act like Jill Rod, we might frighten the nice people at the Creation Museum.

I would just pull the shirt underneath up. When I nursed, I always wore one shirt over another. So one shirt would be pulled up and one pulled down. That way I was mostly covered. 

• Upvote 1

52 minutes ago, JermajestyDuggar said:

Only if the buttons were not contrasting.

• Haha 10
  • I Agree 1

56 minutes ago, Cults-r-us said:

True. But It's also hilarious because some ideas are worth poking fun at. Unlike, say, religious groups that have legit histories of persecution behind them (Jewish, Amish, JW, etc). Many of the fundies in the US wield outsized political power.

• Upvote 2
  • Love 1

2 hours ago, noseybutt said:For the record, the thought of a family cosplaying fundies is both hilarious and a bit uncomfortable to me. If it were Ultra-Orthodox Jewish, for example, it would smack of cultural appropriation. In this case, IDK. I keep laughing. (And I speak as someone raised skirts-only until we figured out how to tie our parents up in theological knots.)  

Because fundies are not an ethnic group or a specific cultural group would it really be cultural appropriation?  There are a lot of things about cosplaying a Hasidic Jewish person that would be uncomfortable and wrong (especially since a lot of their attire has deep symbolic and religious meaning). I don’t think the same can be said about frumper wearing fundamentalists.   

• I Agree 5

1 minute ago, treehugger said:

Because fundies are not an ethnic group or a specific cultural group would it really be cultural appropriation?  There are a lot of things about cosplaying a Hasidic Jewish person that would be uncomfortable and wrong (especially since a lot of their attire has deep symbolic and religious meaning). I don’t think the same can be said about frumper wearing fundamentalists.   

Amish/Mennonite are a specific cultural group but I tend to agree that most fundie groups do not fall in that category. Religious minority -- yes. But cultural minority -- not so much. The clothing and other identifying factors and rules are in constant flux. Also, the men can (almost always) blend and pass as non fundies. Most are identifiable because of the women around them and not in and of themselves.

• Upvote 4

I understand I will be giving them my money one time.  I have never eaten Chik fil a or shopped at Hobby Lobby, I think I can have this one experience.

Yes, the goal is to cosplay fundies in Fundie Mecca and tongue and cheek the entire day.  One of my goals in asking for advice is to ensure I don't end up appropriating the wrong people.  I am unsure of whether to include a headcovering for this reason.  My hair is to my shoulders, so I won't have that going for me, so hiding my lack of hair under some type of bonnet seemed like a good idea.  

I really just need to see it for myself.  Not just from the lens of another snarker who agrees with me.  

• Upvote 8

You really want to cosplay as a fundie, wear "tight" clothes and a pillow underneath. In case this is not clear you're trying to look pregnant. 

• Upvote 1
  • Haha 7

4 hours ago, BlondeAgent007 said:

One of my goals in asking for advice is to ensure I don't end up appropriating the wrong people.

If you need to ask, you probably shouldn’t do it. This is what I tell my students before every dress up holiday. 

• Upvote 3