IGNORED

Unmarried Fundies 11: Searching for that 90 Day Fiancé

Bethella

5 hours ago, postscript said:

I believe it’s a Biblical name with that spelling. 

It is. The name Justus appears three times in the Bible:

Acts 1:23

Acts 18:7

Colossians 4:11

• Upvote 2
  • Thank You 2

6 hours ago, Wolf in Sheeples’ Clothing said:

It is. The name Justus appears three times in the Bible:

Acts 1:23

Acts 18:7

Colossians 4:11

Thanks. I just thought it was a terrible spelling of Justice. 

• Upvote 3
  • I Agree 2

7 hours ago, JermajestyDuggar said:

Thanks. I just thought it was a terrible spelling of Justice. 

It's how the old romans spelled it, I had the questionable pleasure of taking a few years of Latin in high school

• Upvote 6
  • I Agree 1

24 minutes ago, hollyandivy said:

It's how the old romans spelled it, I had the questionable pleasure of taking a few years of Latin in high school

Same. Also with the Latin pronunciation I learned, it would sound more like Eustace than like Justice. 

• Upvote 2

That makes more sense! I thought it was  a merging of fundi patriotic fanaticism and kreeativ spellings. 

• Upvote 2

3 hours ago, gracegrace said:

Hannah Girotti is engaged. His name is Christopher and he’s from Michigan. https://girottifamily.typepad.com/mountain_musings/2022/05/from-heaven-he-came-and-sought-her.html 

She’s another SAHD who has been waiting for years (she’s 38). I wish her all the best, and much patience with the endless pictures her mom will want for the blog. 

Looks like a good old fashioned "no touch" courtship again. Did ya'll see how careful he was placing the ring on her finger? Just....wow🙄

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, gracegrace said:

Hannah Girotti is engaged. His name is Christopher and he’s from Michigan. https://girottifamily.typepad.com/mountain_musings/2022/05/from-heaven-he-came-and-sought-her.html 

She’s another SAHD who has been waiting for years (she’s 38). I wish her all the best, and much patience with the endless pictures her mom will want for the blog. 

Yeah, @petrushka posted about it in late May (on page 5).

• Upvote 2

5 hours ago, Tangy Bee said:

Looks like a good old fashioned "no touch" courtship again. Did ya'll see how careful he was placing the ring on her finger? Just....wow🙄

I'm still curious as to what denomination he is from. His sisters have little head coverings in the bible conference photo. Other than Mennonite, I can't think what denomination this would be.

• Upvote 3

9 hours ago, gracegrace said:

Good for her! Otherwise she'd have to live at home another 38+ years. Imaging being nearly 40 and have to get permission to talk to this man on the phone.

If he has any similarily-aged, eligible friends, I know a lovely maiden named Sarah Maxwell who might enjoy getting to get to know a fellow.

• Upvote 3
  • Eyeroll 1

58 minutes ago, Bluebirdbluebell said:

I'm still curious as to what denomination he is from. His sisters have little head coverings in the bible conference photo. Other than Mennonite, I can't think what denomination this would be.

Fundie Instagram browsing has taught me that lots and lots of groups do even if their denomination does not. So many head coverings. 

• Upvote 3
  • Thank You 1

2 minutes ago, Cults-r-us said:

Good for her! Otherwise she'd have to live at home another 38+ years. Imaging being nearly 40 and have to get permission to talk to this man on the phone.

If he has any similarily-aged, eligible friends, I know a lovely maiden named Sarah Maxwell who might enjoy getting to get to know a fellow.

Sarah lives on her own so she may be too independent for these people. And she may prefer her independence to getting married, especially to someone limits her freedom more. 

• Upvote 7

9 minutes ago, Bluebirdbluebell said:

Sarah lives on her own so she may be too independent for these people. And she may prefer her independence to getting married, especially to someone limits her freedom more. 

I said she might enjoy getting to know a fellow, which is neither giving up her freedom nor getting married. What I was thinking is the dating pool for their age group is small. And you're right, she may prefer to not date.

• Upvote 1

17 minutes ago, Cults-r-us said:

I said she might enjoy getting to know a fellow, which is neither giving up her freedom nor getting married. What I was thinking is the dating pool for their age group is small. And you're right, she may prefer to not date.

Fundies only date to get married. Even mainstream conservative Christians often only date to get married. It would be nice for Sarah to date someone, but I think her dating pool might be expanded by living on her own.

• Upvote 5

14 hours ago, gracegrace said:

They refer to her fiancé as a "young man." Assuming he's her age (38) or older, he's not a young man. Maybe they're all young people until they get married, as a way to infantilize people in certain life stages. The Maxwell's did (do) this too. These people are weird. 

• Upvote 10

11 hours ago, SisterCupcake said:

They refer to her fiancé as a "young man." Assuming he's her age (38) or older, he's not a young man. Maybe they're all young people until they get married, as a way to infantilize people in certain life stages.

In much of fundie culture, you are not fully adult until marriage.  So regardless of age, you are treated like a young adult if unmarried.  It is infantilizing, yes.  It's assumed that everyone ought to be getting married at around 20-21, and that not being married demonstrates something wrong with you because marriage is a reward for maturity.  Therefore an unmarried 38yo is seen, even if it's not explicitly stated, as less than a married 20yo.  

• Upvote 5

1 hour ago, Sarcastically spinster said:

In much of fundie culture, you are not fully adult until marriage.  So regardless of age, you are treated like a young adult if unmarried.  It is infantilizing, yes.  It's assumed that everyone ought to be getting married at around 20-21, and that not being married demonstrates something wrong with you because marriage is a reward for maturity.  Therefore an unmarried 38yo is seen, even if it's not explicitly stated, as less than a married 20yo.  

This is a thing in other cultures as well.  A few years ago DH and I were in LA for a Cambodian/Chinese wedding and the bride's Cambodian family considered all of us 30+ year olds in the wedding party to be the "kids" and there was very little interaction between the generations.  Overall, the wedding was great fun.

• Upvote 4

I absolutely agree that fundies infantilize adults, especially the unmarried adults. However I think a lot of my older relatives might call our generation young, because we're a lot younger than they are.

• Upvote 4

On 6/13/2022 at 3:09 PM, Bluebirdbluebell said:

I absolutely agree that fundies infantilize adults, especially the unmarried adults. However I think a lot of my older relatives might call our generation young, because we're a lot younger than they are.

Yup. Even my gym allows young adults to get a single membership at a reduced race until they're 38.

• Upvote 1

13 hours ago, CaptainFunderpants said:

Yup. Even my gym allows young adults to get a single membership at a reduced race until they're 38.

I used to be part of an association for young trade unionists where the cutoff was 40... which may tell you more about the state of the labor movement 😅

• Upvote 5

12 hours ago, NachosFlandersStyle said:

I used to be part of an association for young trade unionists where the cutoff was 40... which may tell you more about the state of the labor movement 😅

That and that because the economy has essentially sucked for the entire adult lives of Millennials, we've been a very slow group to launch and get established. An unprecedented number of us also have post-grad degrees, which takes up a lot of time too. The flexibility required to hop coasts if the right job opportunity comes up is much easier without a spouse to coordinate with.

• Upvote 7

I apologize if this has been mentioned before. On James Staddon's blog, he states he and Julianna Bennett are getting married on August 19, 2022. His blog post features pictures taken on previous August 19ths. They also started a registry which confirms the date.

• Upvote 3
  • Thank You 1

I’ll just put this here since these two are getting married very soon. But I can’t stand the Collingsworths. They come off as so overprivileged and snobby. Of course she posts that Mike Pence thinks they are an attractive couple. She’s marrying into a prestigious family so that’s why they were talking with Mike Pence at a gathering.

856CD205-350F-4382-968E-233CE3693CB6.jpeg

• Upvote 2
  • Thank You 1

• Coconut Flan locked this topic
  • Coconut Flan unpinned this topic