IGNORED

Winter OIympics 2022

meep

Someone got frozen down there during a cross country race

The men's 50km mass start race at the Beijing Games was shortened to 30km but that did little to help Finland's Remi Lindholm, who needed a heat pack at the end of the race to thaw out a particularly sensitive body part.

Lindholm spent just under an hour and 16 minutes traversing the course in howling, freezing winds, leading to his penis becoming frozen for the second time in a cross-country skiing race following a similar incident in Ruka, Finland last year.

"You can guess which body part was a little bit frozen when I finished (the men's Olympic 50km race) ... it was one of the worst competitions I've been in. It was just about battling through," he told Finnish media.

With organizers worried about frostbite during Saturday's race, it was delayed by an hour and shortened by 20km. The thin suits and under-layers worn by racers, as well as plasters to cover their faces and ears, offered little protection.

Ouch.

• Upvote 1

I know cross-country ski racing, and there is no excuse for this dude.  This is something that happens to teenagers learning how to adapt & dress for different conditions, not seasoned Olympic-level racers. He should know to have a pair of windbriefs (that is, with a wind-resistant fabric and extra insulation over the delicate bits) to wear on days like that. The one excuse he might have is that conditions were pretty cold and windy the whole two weeks, so all his cold-weather gear might have been already dirty.

Due to the wind, the organizers shortened the race from 50km to 30km. He would probably have been even worse off if he had had to race another 20km! It's definitely an example of natural consequences.

• Upvote 1

The article I read said it was the second time this happened to him. How did he not learn a good 'keep it warm" lesson the first time? 

• Upvote 4