IGNORED

Seewalds 47: Actions have Consequences; Sponsor Backlash Due to Jessa's Homophobia

HerNameIsBuffy

It is interesting and enlightening to hear about different upbringings and religious beliefs. I was raised Catholic, went to the schools K- Bachelor’s degree, weekly mass…but my exposure to religion was always from the loving God aspect. Fire and brimstone were never preached at any church I attended. I could never worship a God that I feared or listen to hate preached from the pulpit. I have stepped away a bit from Catholicism and now regularly attend  a UU service. I know some people need hard, full stop rules in order to decrease the stressors and choices in life, but many others do not. I don’t know, but some people seem to need the stick, while others are more drawn to the carrot. 

Also, the salvation through good works and actions plus belief in God vs just believing in the Bible being literal is just such a difference in terms of belief. So many fundies think that all you need to do is follow some rules and talk about the Bible and you are good to go, no matter what a dick you are in life and to others (looking at you JB and Braggie). Ug, so foreign to everything I was ever taught or embraced.

• Upvote 10
  • I Agree 3
  • Love 1

33 minutes ago, SassyPants said:

I was raised Catholic, went to the schools K- Bachelor’s degree, weekly mass…but my exposure to religion was always from the loving God aspect. Fire and brimstone were never preached at any church I attended.

Yup, same here. I grew up Catholic, and while that absolutely came with its own set of problems, I can't recall ever have been scared of going to hell. Or indeed believing in a literal version of it. We were always taught that the eternal torment consisted in being separated from God's love. Besides, actual hell was for people who did horrible things, not for kids who voiced doubts or had too much candy. I never for a moment feared I'd end up there.

• Upvote 12
  • Love 3

One of my problems with religion is even in the same denomination, there is no consistency in teaching. I was raised Catholic and I was taught Catholics were the only ones going to Heaven. As a fourth grader, I was sad thinking how two of my friends who were Presbyterian were going to hell. I knew they were good and nice so I was very conflicted. Yes, there was a fiery hell and also the mysterious Purgatory. I don’t remember the “God is love” message being highlighted. It was more:”you must be nice to everyone. Even the shitty people.” 

In my 20s I became a born again Pentecostal. We had a group of fun, young adults at church. I was always, always being told I needed to “marry a believer”. When I finally married a man who didn’t attend church, who had a very vague belief in God that we never discussed, I felt a tinge of fear that I was doing something wrong (now married for three decades). But the church-going guys were wwwway too uptight for me. Now I can see it was their patriarchal views that repulsed me. At the time I thought something was wrong with me, why couldn’t I be one of those demure soft spoken women who always said the right thing and never seemed to have problems.

I no longer conform to man made religion. 

Edited by Cam
  • Upvote 12
  • Thank You 1
  • Love 2

I was raised Catholic but I never really connected with it, and as a adult made to choice to step away. I went to Sunday School, went to church every Sunday with my parents, went to bible study with a friend's family, got confirmed, got married in the church, baptized my children and then I started to realize that I was following this religion because I was raised to do so and not because I felt a person connection with it. We are now Agnostic. Our children can study religion and believe what they chose some day. My husband doesn't really have much faith. I follow a spiritual path and believe in the Spirit realm and reincarnation. I was in my late 20s when I took a class on spirituality and religion and that was when I connected with the idea of the spirit realm. It was the first time I've every felt connected to anything. 

Our Catholic families are not thrilled we are not raising our children or following a catholic upbringing for ourselves but they have gotten over it in the past decade. 

• Upvote 6

5 minutes ago, Sullie06 said:

I was raised Catholic but I never really connected with it, and as a adult made to choice to step away. I went to Sunday School, went to church every Sunday with my parents, went to bible study with a friend's family, got confirmed, got married in the church, baptized my children and then I started to realize that I was following this religion because I was raised to do so and not because I felt a person connection with it. We are now Agnostic. Our children can study religion and believe what they chose some day. My husband doesn't really have much faith. I follow a spiritual path and believe in the Spirit realm and reincarnation. I was in my late 20s when I took a class on spirituality and religion and that was when I connected with the idea of the spirit realm. It was the first time I've every felt connected to anything. 

Our Catholic families are not thrilled we are not raising our children or following a catholic upbringing for ourselves but they have gotten over it in the past decade. 

I had a very similar path. I got confirmed because I was basically told I had to be. And then I stepped away entirely at 18. When I was getting married - my parents were very big on "when is your wedding mass going to be?" etc got my husband a book on "So you're marrying a Catholic". (husband was raised Mennonite and is against any form of organized religion)
They are THRILLED beyond measure that my son is going to a Catholic school but really it's because in Ontario - I am not paying for that education (like tuition - it's just a publicly funded thing) and I can hear the announcements from my house. We aren't trying to make him Catholic. 

• Upvote 2

• 2 weeks later...
On 9/16/2022 at 1:26 PM, Travelfan said:

I lived everyday in terror of hell because of it (the belief is basically it doesn’t matter what kind of a person you are, going to hell comes completely down to if you fully believe in god/Jesus with your whole heart and mind)

When I was a child, every night I would pray for Jesus to forgive me for all my sins, just in case I died in my sleep. So effed up. 

• Upvote 5
  • I Agree 4

On 9/27/2022 at 2:26 PM, viii said:

When I was a child, every night I would pray for Jesus to forgive me for all my sins, just in case I died in my sleep. So effed up. 

I have thought about this a lot.  About all the children (and adults) living in terror of something as horrible as eternal damnation. About those people who lived a good life then made one slip and died before they could be forgiven. . . .

Here's another form of emotional torture: What if you had a sibling who was gay, and you believed he would be going to hell ? What if he died, and you believed he WAS in hell? How could you live your life with any peace or happiness, believing that to be true?

• Upvote 2

On 9/19/2022 at 5:48 AM, Meggo said:

We aren't trying to make him Catholic. 

I think it's wrong to try to make any child any religion.

If a religion gives you peace and comfort, it's natural to want to share that with your kids. I saw that happen with one of my friends. They were deeply into Catholicism, got great comfort, community and peace from it, and passed it onto their kids.

But in many cases, parents push religion on a kid for unhealthy reasons having to do with conformity or control.

We let our children decide for themselves. I told them, "If it gives you comfort, go for it." We raised them with no religion because we don't like organized religion, but they are free to do as they like now that they are adults.

As they were growing up, they went to their friends' religious ceremonies (baptisms, Bat Mitzvahs, etc), we had no problem with any of that.

In my family of origin, it was made clear that I'd be rejected if I didn't choose a spouse whose religion matched ours. However, my family's religious observance was minimal at best (1-2x/year), so I thought that was completely hypocritical and dated whoever I wanted to.

• Upvote 6

Today, On IG, Jessa is shilling for Abbie H’s book. She posted a long quote from the book. Lazy mamas supporting lazy, judgmental mamas. 

• Upvote 4
  • Disgust 3
  • Thank You 1

11 minutes ago, SassyPants said:

Today, On IG, Jessa is shilling for Abbie H’s book. She posted a long quote from the book. Lazy mamas supporting lazy, judgmental mamas. 

I put Jessa in a very similar category with Braggie. Their personalities seem similar to me. 

• Upvote 5
  • I Agree 2

• 4 weeks later...

Jessa posted a sponsored reel for that scammy christian healthcare ministries insurance/payment plan last week. She included plenty of clickbaity photos of her pregnant and Spurgeon  (looks like fairly recently?) in hospital. 

Spoiler

Screenshot_20221101_192250.thumb.jpg.cd5d197a795b67090445e2952abc5af0.jpgScreenshot_20221101_192237.thumb.jpg.75a50144c29e833e514450e24f7a2b68.jpg

People are mostly pretty against this in the comments which are now turned off. 

Spoiler

Screenshot_20221101_192931.thumb.jpg.51854cc067b96ff452c7c690395ca4ba.jpgScreenshot_20221101_192946.thumb.jpg.58fe2a986794f4f78da84bbfb480c401.jpgScreenshot_20221101_193034.thumb.jpg.885da0307d735afe00961519f4433920.jpg

I find jessa completely unlikeable and insincere in her influencer attempts. She is obviously reading from a script in the video, doesn't interact with any of her followers and seems generally disinterested. How is she making social media work for her, she posts so rarely. 

• Upvote 13
  • Thank You 2

1 hour ago, HideousGreenShirt said:

Jessa posted a sponsored reel for that scammy christian healthcare ministries insurance/payment plan last week. She included plenty of clickbaity photos of her pregnant and Spurgeon  (looks like fairly recently?) in hospital. 

Hide contents

Screenshot_20221101_192250.thumb.jpg.cd5d197a795b67090445e2952abc5af0.jpgScreenshot_20221101_192237.thumb.jpg.75a50144c29e833e514450e24f7a2b68.jpg

People are mostly pretty against this in the comments which are now turned off. 

Hide contents

Screenshot_20221101_192931.thumb.jpg.51854cc067b96ff452c7c690395ca4ba.jpgScreenshot_20221101_192946.thumb.jpg.58fe2a986794f4f78da84bbfb480c401.jpgScreenshot_20221101_193034.thumb.jpg.885da0307d735afe00961519f4433920.jpg

I find jessa completely unlikeable and insincere in her influencer attempts. She is obviously reading from a script in the video, doesn't interact with any of her followers and seems generally disinterested. How is she making social media work for her, she posts so rarely. 

So a recent picture of a sick Spurgeon and another photo of Jessa PG, perhaps an old photo? Or a recent photo of a PG Jessa and a sick Spurgeon? 

Edited by SassyPants

Bedtime prayers: when my kids were little, we did the “Now I lay me down to sleep” one but I didn’t like the idea of them worrying about dying in their sleep so I changed it to:

”Now I lay me down to sleep. I pray the Lord my soul to keep. And keep me safe all through the night. And wake me with the morning light”

I’m not sure if I made the last part up myself or if I heard it somewhere.

• Upvote 7
  • Love 1

@SassyPants the photos of Spurgeon are in the first spoiler. Here is the one of jessa pregnant. There are also a few of her in labour, holding a baby I assume is the youngest known child.

Spoiler

Screenshot_20221101_210417.thumb.jpg.eea7727d7ba6316ba4e2dd9649b4d7fe.jpg

I don't pay much attention to her so am not sure if this is their current or previous home. 

• Upvote 1

When did Spurgeon need to go to the hospital and for what? Even though Jessa deleted the comments, I am really glad they no longer just get gushy comments from leg humpers. 

• Upvote 5

She never posted about Spurge having an accident, so we don't know when this happened. But the picture of her pregnant is from the old mold house.

• Upvote 2
  • Thank You 2

TBF, probably any post, by anyone, promoting ANY specific U.S. insurance company or alternative-to-insurance cost-share  - would yield an avalanche of negative comments. Because it mostly all is awful. Or awful enough, to enough people, that you will hear horrible things if it’s brought up. 

Really curious about Spurgeon, and that she never brought it up before. To me, he looks maybe  a little younger than his current age in the medical emergency photos? Maybe heat stroke at a fair? Appendix? What? Hope it was something that was quickly resolved and he’s healthy now.

* Just noticed the face mask in one photo, so I’m guessing 2020 or 2021

Edited by Mama Mia
  • Upvote 3
  • I Agree 2

Just a question…why do people who don’t want government involvement in their lives or vote against the common good, seem to use EMS more than your average citizen? I cant imagine activating EMS unless it was a clear emergency (respiratory or cardiac) or a horrible accident where I might be concerned about moving someone, over putting someone in a car and taking them to the ER or urgent care. Maybe this is because I worked in HC for many decades. Do others here in the US do ambulance transports?

• Upvote 5

6 minutes ago, SassyPants said:

Just a question…why do people who don’t want government involvement in their lives or vote against the common good, seem to use EMS more than your average citizen? I cant imagine activating EMS unless it was a clear emergency (respiratory or cardiac) or a horrible accident where I might be concerned about moving someone, over putting someone in a car and taking them to the ER or urgent care. Maybe this is because I worked in HC for many decades. Do others here in the US do ambulance transports?

Personally I’ve only been in an ambulance a couple times - one a car accident, one a medical emergency.  But if it was my small child, and he was having trouble breathing,  or passed out, or had a seizure,  I’d call an ambulance whether than transport — unless I was very, very  close to a hospital. 1 - Because I’d be afraid it could get worse or be time sensitive. 2- Because if you go to the ER you could wait hours. If you go to urgent care it could be closed ( has happened several times recently due to short staffing) I wouldn’t want to risk it with a kid who looks like he needs immediate help. And that’s despite being charged high hundreds for even a short trip, after insurance.  If I was a health care provider obviously my choices might be different. 

• Upvote 2

7 minutes ago, Mama Mia said:

Personally I’ve only been in an ambulance a couple times - one a car accident, one a medical emergency.  But if it was my small child, and he was having trouble breathing,  or passed out, or had a seizure,  I’d call an ambulance whether than transport — unless I was very, very  close to a hospital. 1 - Because I’d be afraid it could get worse or be time sensitive. 2- Because if you go to the ER you could wait hours. If you go to urgent care it could be closed ( has happened several times recently due to short staffing) I wouldn’t want to risk it with a kid who looks like he needs immediate help. And that’s despite being charged high hundreds for even a short trip, after insurance.  If I was a health care provider obviously my choices might be different. 

Plus, there is stuff they can do in the ambulance like administer oxygen. Summer of 2021, I called 911 for a friend who ended up being Dx'd with a large pulmonary embolism. She called me early in the morning because she wanted someone to handle her dogs when the EMTs got there. She had tested negative twice for COVID in the prior few days, but I still thought it was probably COVID. It was great to watch her Oxygen sats go up when the EMTs gave her oxygen in her bedroom. They then requested permission to transport her to a nearby hospital which she granted. (Even though her oxy sat was low, she was quite mentally aware of what was going on. She had been monitoring herself with an oximeter all night and knew she was dangerously low.) She agreed to transport, and was Dx'd with the embolism a few hours later. I would have been willing to drive her the ten minutes to the hospital, but was much happier having her attended by trained EMT's. Fortunately, she has made a complete recovery. 

• Upvote 18

I was transported by ambulance when I broke my leg. They were able to immobilize my leg and administer pain meds en route to the hospital. It was better than going in a POV for me considering there was a dislocation along with the 3 badly broken bones. 

• Upvote 4

The picture looks like Spurgeon has leads on his chest and an IV in his arm. It doesn't look like they just called an ambulance for no reason. 

• Upvote 4
  • I Agree 1

Re: calling the ambulance vs. trying to take the person to the hospital

I have a friend who lost her child to an asthma attack because they tried to drive her to the hospital vs calling an ambulance. They thought it would be quicker to drive her, but got stuck in traffic. If they'd called an ambulance, the ambulance personnel would have 1) arrived in a faster time than it took them to drive, because ambulances get road priority, 2) been able to administer aid as soon as they arrived and also on the way to the hospital, 3) given her priority admission at the hospital.

It was a very sad situation. I always think it's a better choice to call the ambulance. I agree though that the fees can be outrageous. Our healthcare here in the US sucks.

• Sad 12
  • Thank You 1

• nelliebelle1197 locked this topic