IGNORED

Winter Storm Landon

Cartmann99

Is Landon affecting your area? Talk about it here.

The freezing rain has turned into snow in my town. Schools and businesses are announcing closures for tomorrow.

• Upvote 5

We don't expect Landon until Friday. We just got done with Bobby! C'mon spring!

• Upvote 5

Yes. It’s just starting to rain now and will turn to freezing in an hour or two. Will have freezing weather and snow till tomorrow afternoon they say. 

• Upvote 4

At noon today they announced school closed Thursday and Friday.

It’s raining now but will turn to ice/snow overnight into tomorrow then won’t get above freezing until late Friday, I think.

• Upvote 4

Here's a website where you keep up with electrical outages for the United States.

Current snapshot:

image.png.e62ebd2b7b7a67c77a842e46d6b708cb.png

Edited by Cartmann99
  • Upvote 3

Officially we had 7.2 in of snow yesterday. That was round one. Round two started late last night and last I checked was still snowing. I will be working from home for the rest of the week because I ain't going out in this crap.

Also Columbus Ohio we're sorry. Jim cantore is there.

• Upvote 2
  • Sad 2
  • Haha 3

I'm in central Illinois. We got a foot of snow yesterday, and today several interstate and state highways in the area had sections closed due to  wind drifting the roads closed. 

When did they start naming winter storms? The only one I remember being named when I was a kid was the blizzard of '79, which was a real doozy. (We have a picture of my brother and me walking on a snow pile to get to the roof of my grandpa's garage.) 

• Upvote 6

January 78 and January 79 were doozies. 78 was more widespread misery and 79 was northern Illinois and Indiana. 

We had just moved back to the States after living in a tropical environment. I had visited the US in the summer but had no idea what winter was like other than pretty pictures. 

I hated the cold and those blizzards were enough to make me BEG my parents to move to Hawaii, or at least Southern California. 

As to named storms, it makes talking about hurricanes a lot easier, so why not serious  snow storms. 

• Upvote 5

8 hours ago, Bassett Lady said:

As to named storms, it makes talking about hurricanes a lot easier, so why not serious  snow storms. 

I think the Weather Channel started it.

• Upvote 1
  • I Agree 3
  • Thank You 1

Central Texas reporting:  We had graupel/sleet/frozen rain and the streets iced over yesterday (Thursday); I did not see or hear even one car drive down our street. Stayed below freezing all day yesterday and 21 degrees this morning.  Temps will be above freezing for about 3 to 4 hours at mid day and will give everything a chance to thaw out and hopefully dry up before freezing temps set in again this afternoon.   So far, we've had no electricity disruption.  I think some people have lost power due to frozen branches falling on power lines, so any outages so far are very local and not grid related. 

People cleared out the shelves at HEB grocery stores on Wednesday afternoon and evening in anticipation of the storm, with checkout lines to the back of the store.   Some friends walked over to their local HEB yesterday (Thursday) and it was deserted, since nobody was driving.  They said it was great. 

Stay safe and warm, y'all! 

A face book friend yesterday posted photos from weather radar as rain, sleet and freezing temps advanced closer and closer to Houston.   The city did not escape the storm. 

Edited by Howl
  • Upvote 4

I’m in DFW. The precipitation has stopped but temps won’t get above freezing for a few days so it’s all ice.  My Walmart got truck in yesterday day So we are stocked with meat at the moment… no chips, milk or pasta though.

• Upvote 5

17 minutes ago, tabitha2 said:

I’m in DFW. The precipitation has stopped but temps won’t get above freezing for a few days so it’s all ice.  My Walmart got truck in yesterday day So we are stocked with meat at the moment… no chips, milk or pasta though.

2nd wave of snow passed us be in NE Kansas. Sure wished I had Wednesday off as the kids were out of school and the sledding looked great. Thursday too cold, today about 5 degrees. The snow is dry and can't make a snowman.😒

• Upvote 5

Colorado here. We had one forecast that called for 8-12” on Wednesday, but the others all said 4”-7”. Bets were being placed. We ended up with 11”. Thursday Denver had a record low of -11°F. Damn cold. But, this being Colorado, the sun was out brilliantly, the sky was clear and blue, and most people have 4WD and were out and about. It was warm enough in the sun to have wine on the deck for sunset last night. 

For us it was just a blip. 

962CB5FE-5E92-481C-8653-743B7530AB8E.jpeg

• Upvote 8

Western New York had constant snow from overnight Wednesday through last night, with on and off light snow today. We got about eight to ten inches on top of what was already on the ground.  I’m really tired of shoveling; we have a big driveway, and then in the backyard we keep clear access to the shed, chicken coop, trash cans, and generator.  Kudos the the trash collectors—they arrived on time this morning.

here is my back yard:

3067C647-6A04-48F8-BEFA-8D83C906C517.jpeg

Edited by catlady
Typo
  • Upvote 8

A few tenths of an inch of ice under several inches of snow and still snowing...on top of the 10 or so inches of snow we already had. 😀 

20220204_105142.jpg

• Upvote 9

My husband is traveling by plane in this shit. His friend is finally getting married and my husband couldn’t miss it. His friend is like the George Clooney of his friend group. No one ever thought he would get married. He’s in his late 40s like my husband and we are all very surprised he’s actually tying the knot. So my husband is flying to California determined to make it. I’m afraid the flights will be so late he might miss it tomorrow! I hope he can make it. Crazy man. 

• Upvote 5
  • Love 4