IGNORED

Webster4Eva 11: They don't know it's not vitally important to teach a 5 year old how to choose a man

HerNameIsBuffy

35 minutes ago, front hugs > duggs said:

@JermajestyDuggar I also was initially thrown off at that. 

I'm guessing AWANA is co-ed? I wonder if boys dress up as babies too, or if its just for the girls.

I'm curious about that too--in my youth part of my family was Southern Baptist, and when we visited in the summer I was dragged to single-sex Sunday School classes with my cousins. So bizarre to Methodist me.

• Upvote 1

19 minutes ago, JermajestyDuggar said:

My kids probably would have refused. “I’m not a baby!” Was a common utterance when they were that age. Being called a baby is usually an insult to kids. 

IIRCC my kids (and now my grandkids) had  “dress like a baby” day occasionally at school as part of spirit days — I think the schools were just always looking for different fun ideas —- pajama day, crazy hair day, bring your stuff to school in anything other than a backpack, dress like you’re from the 1970’s, —-that kind of thing. Boys and girls would both do it if they wanted. They had a bunch of them every year, so themes were probably challenging. Didn’t seem like a big deal. 

• Upvote 2

15 minutes ago, Mama Mia said:

IIRCC my kids (and now my grandkids) had  “dress like a baby” day occasionally at school as part of spirit days — I think the schools were just always looking for different fun ideas —- pajama day, crazy hair day, bring your stuff to school in anything other than a backpack, dress like you’re from the 1970’s, —-that kind of thing. Boys and girls would both do it if they wanted. They had a bunch of them every year, so themes were probably challenging. Didn’t seem like a big deal. 

My kids have theme days too. I’m so glad they aren’t elaborate or told to dress like a 100 year old for the 100th day or a baby. I think most kids would refuse. And it would be a flop. The days we have are school spirit day, wacky Wednesday, hat day, pj day. It’s so much easier for parents on theme days like that. I don’t know if we even have any baby stuff around the house for the kids to use. I got rid of it a long time ago. 

2 hours ago, Expectopatronus said:

I love the Classic Pooh toys! If anyone knows where I can order them, let me know, please! I want them for my daughter. I love the original A.A. Milne stories and E.H. Shepard illustrations 

Disney sells them

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, front hugs > duggs said:

I'm guessing AWANA is co-ed? I wonder if boys dress up as babies too, or if its just for the girls.

I was wondering that too.  I heard of AWANA and know it's a children's program but know very little else beyond that.   

I live very close to an Assembly of God church and I thought they had AWANA, but they have boys' and girls' youth groups instead-the Royal Rangers (boys) and The Missionettes (girls).  

1 hour ago, front hugs > duggs said:

@JermajestyDuggar I also was initially thrown off at that. And while I'm sure there's a ton of sexism behind their reasoning for having a "baby night", I remember in elementary school dressing up as babies for Halloween with all of my friends and thinking it was so funny at the time.

When I a kid AWANA was co-ed, but the boys and girls had different groups.   When the boys used the gym for games the girls were in devotions and bible quizzing and then we'd switch.  Snack time was co-ed and that's when we got to see the boys.

• Upvote 2
  • Thank You 5

50 minutes ago, JermajestyDuggar said:

My kids have theme days too. I’m so glad they aren’t elaborate or told to dress like a 100 year old for the 100th day or a baby. I think most kids would refuse. And it would be a flop. The days we have are school spirit day, wacky Wednesday, hat day, pj day. It’s so much easier for parents on theme days like that. I don’t know if we even have any baby stuff around the house for the kids to use. I got rid of it a long time ago. 

The theme days have always been hit and miss in my family - some kids got really into them and would almost always participate - some wouldn’t bother, or would only do an occasional one they thought was fun. The baby ones weren’t that hard - just pj type clothes, a stuffed animal and/or a pacifier or bottle from the $1 store .  It wasn’t a big deal either way, more girls seemed to participate - but definitely some boys would too. I had never thought of it being particularly annoying - any more than the other 100 annoying school things. 

• Upvote 3
  • I Agree 1

4 minutes ago, Mama Mia said:

The theme days have always been hit and miss in my family - some kids got really into them and would almost always participate - some wouldn’t bother, or would only do an occasional one they thought was fun. The baby ones weren’t that hard - just pj type clothes, a stuffed animal and/or a pacifier or bottle from the $1 store .  It wasn’t a big deal either way, more girls seemed to participate - but definitely some boys would too. I had never thought of it being particularly annoying - any more than the other 100 annoying school things. 

Since I’m part of our PTO, I really appreciate that our PTO takes all income levels into consideration. That way everyone can participate if they want. Making it easy like PJ day and Hat day makes things more equal amongst the kids with different income levels. I see some schools on Facebook with such elaborate theme days that look like they took a lot of money and time and it boggles my mind. 

• Upvote 5
  • Love 1

15 minutes ago, JermajestyDuggar said:

Since I’m part of our PTO, I really appreciate that our PTO takes all income levels into consideration. That way everyone can participate if they want. Making it easy like PJ day and Hat day makes things more equal amongst the kids with different income levels. I see some schools on Facebook with such elaborate theme days that look like they took a lot of money and time and it boggles my mind. 

Oh for sure, some kids and schools go WAY all in with the theme days! But I guess that’s like Halloween - it can be elaborate or just a something improvised from what you have - which can be more fun sometimes. I guess I never would have thought of “baby” theme being something income dependent (and I was poor when my oldest kids were this age)  or something kids would particularly hate - or sexist ( I’m not understanding that one? Both boys and girls start out as a baby….) 

The different perspectives are interesting. 
I did see an interesting thing going around recently about how Book Fairs are awful for kids -because of the $ divide. Which makes sense.

• Upvote 1

3 minutes ago, Mama Mia said:

Oh for sure, some kids and schools go WAY all in with the theme days! But I guess that’s like Halloween - it can be elaborate or just a something improvised from what you have - which can be more fun sometimes. I guess I never would have thought of “baby” theme being something income dependent (and I was poor when my oldest kids were this age)  or something kids would particularly hate - or sexist ( I’m not understanding that one? Both boys and girls start out as a baby….) 

The different perspectives are interesting. 
I did see an interesting thing going around recently about how Book Fairs are awful for kids -because of the $ divide. Which makes sense.

I agree about the book fairs. I don’t like them either. I wish all kids could just get an equal amount to spend but that won’t happen. So I just wish they would go away. I think I would be annoyed if I had to buy baby bottles and bibs for the kids for a dress up day that I would then never use again. I suppose I could take them to goodwill so they would get some use. 

• I Agree 2

Aussies have "muffty" days (I'm not sure if that word is a regional/state thing. We have uniforms so our special days are just wear your own clothes ro school day. Normally accompanied with a gold coin donation for fund-raising  but I can't imagine that being enforced if a child forgot or couldn't afford it  

We also have book week where the kids have to dress up book character themed on one day that week

Easter hat parade make fancy Easter themed hats then goes to crazy hair day once day once are out of infants 

Preschool once had pajama week and book week over 

I have seen a trend of 100 days of kindy in Australia  but I have not seen it happen yet at a public school just private 

I know book week and Easter hat parade are a "delight" to most parents yearly  

• Upvote 4

7 hours ago, Expectopatronus said:

I love the Classic Pooh toys! If anyone knows where I can order them, let me know, please! I want them for my daughter. I love the original A.A. Milne stories and E.H. Shepard illustrations 

Hallmark stores had them last year!  I bought Classic Poohs for several friends' babies.

• Upvote 2

8 hours ago, JermajestyDuggar said:

My kids probably would have refused. “I’m not a baby!” Was a common utterance when they were that age. Being called a baby is usually an insult to kids. 

I'm surprised Allie, who's almost 7, would agree to that. Or the other girls, for that matter.

7 hours ago, AussieKrissy said:

Aussies have "muffty" days (I'm not sure if that word is a regional/state thing. We have uniforms so our special days are just wear your own clothes ro school day.

It’s not used in the US as far as I know, but it is in the UK, where it’s spelled “mufti.” 

• Upvote 4

18 hours ago, AussieKrissy said:

Aussies have "muffty" days (I'm not sure if that word is a regional/state thing. We have uniforms so our special days are just wear your own clothes ro school day. Normally accompanied with a gold coin donation for fund-raising  but I can't imagine that being enforced if a child forgot or couldn't afford it  

10 hours ago, QuiverFullofBooks said:

It’s not used in the US as far as I know, but it is in the UK, where it’s spelled “mufti.” 

It's also spelled mufti in Australia and every else it's used (where uniforms are the norm and non-uniform days therefore make sense). A mufti is an Islamic scholar.

I once heard or read that "mufti day" comes from British soldiers dressing like muftis on their days off and it turned into "mufti day" = "non-uniform day".

ETA: Don't take my word for it, there's a Wiki page. 😀 https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mufti_(dress)

Edited by Paperplate
  • Thank You 2

8 hours ago, Paperplate said:

It's also spelled mufti in Australia and every else it's used (where uniforms are the norm and non-uniform days therefore make sense). A mufti is an Islamic scholar.

I once heard or read that "mufti day" comes from British soldiers dressing like muftis on their days off and it turned into "mufti day" = "non-uniform day".

ETA: Don't take my word for it, there's a Wiki page. 😀 https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mufti_(dress)

Thanks I don't believe I have ever seen it written before. I am sure that will change now my daughter is in Kindy and it's me reading the notes not my Mum.

I love "nerd" facts, thanks for that. I will add it to my useless shit I love to know and randomly tell people (no sarcasm, I really do). if its on wiki it must be true lol 

• Upvote 3
  • Haha 1

Just skimmed through the video where Jackson comes to visit the Websters. Jackson really makes an appearance only at the end.  You really can't see his hair, but Alyssa says, "I love your hair!" or "Look at your hair!" or something like that. 

(Jackson has dyed his hair blond and is wearing it in a longish style. Lilly and Elli have posted a picture of him with the new style. Her readers don't seem to approve.)

After Alyssa says, "I like your hair", John says . . .

"Yeah, his parents will be sad, but uh. ."

Very revealing, John! So Jackson's stylish hair is going to make them sad, huh? Sad because it's blond, or sad because it is not a conventional men's hairstyle like yours?

The kid's exploring and developing his fashion sense. John needs to expand his mind a little. Allie will be 13 in a little more than 6 years, and she may want to experiment with styles, too, and it's his job to support her. God, what a close-minded dope.

• Upvote 4

Gil keeps his hair a quite short and his boys always had short hair growing up. IBLP always pushed short hair on males. I wish more of these boys pushed the boundaries. Long hair, ear piercing, tattoo, or their hair dyed blue would be great in my opinion.

• Upvote 5

3 hours ago, JermajestyDuggar said:

Gil keeps his hair a quite short and his boys always had short hair growing up. IBLP always pushed short hair on males. I wish more of these boys pushed the boundaries. Long hair, ear piercing, tattoo, or their hair dyed blue would be great in my opinion.

I think it's pretty funny that John thinks Gil and Kelly will be sad about a blonde Jackson. He doesn't require his little girls to wear frumpers--won't they be sad about that? Is it only John who gets to make adult life choices?

• Upvote 2

I bet they're too busy being sad about the cancelled show and imminent implosion of IBLP to care much for Jackson's hair, but I suppose they could have more free time than I think.

• Upvote 6

I think that sometimes we force interpretations. John just made a comment, because he knows Gil and Kelly will be sad, but it doesn't mean he shares their feeling. Alyssa was the first daughter wearing pants and it's highly probable that Gil and Kelly were deeply pissed off. So John simply stated how Gil and Kelly must feel about Jackson hair.

I think that John and Alyssa are very narrow minded. But compared with her parents, they are mainstream. For example, I don't think Websters will truly accept a "tomboy" daughter, but they probably allow short hair if it's a girly cut. It's the same pattern, with a bit more oxygen.

• Upvote 16
  • I Agree 2

19 hours ago, Melissa1977 said:

I think that sometimes we force interpretations. John just made a comment, because he knows Gil and Kelly will be sad, but it doesn't mean he shares their feeling. Alyssa was the first daughter wearing pants and it's highly probable that Gil and Kelly were deeply pissed off. So John simply stated how Gil and Kelly must feel about Jackson hair.

It's not a comment most people would make, if Jackson came to visit them. Most people wouldn't even notice his hair, let alone comment on it. John, however, felt moved enough to comment. That says something about him and his views.

Edited by Jackie3
  • Upvote 1

I didn’t see the clip but if John said that his parents will be sad he might not mean that he feels the same way. Most of us would probably comment that Gil and Kelly would flip their lids if Addallee came back from visiting Alyssa wearing pants and sporting short, purple hair or that JB and Michelle would be having conniptions if Joy and Austin converted to Taoism. John might have meant it as « his parents will freak but who gives a hoot ». Like I said, I haven’t seen the clip so I am just speculating here. 

• Upvote 8
  • I Agree 2

On 2/26/2022 at 4:39 AM, Melissa1977 said:

That's how I took John's comment:  simply making an observation because he may know from firsthand experience when Alyssa started wearing pants that Gil and Kelly wouldn't like it.  And I am inclined to think that Gil and Kelly made a stink about it in spite of their statement that their kids could make their own rules once married and of the home.  It was one thing to make the statement and quite another to see it actually play out, especially in Alyssa's case where she didn't waste any time in wearing pants or getting on the internet. 

• Upvote 14

I did wonder who the boy with the long, blonde hair was…the only G2 male Bates that I could safely identify are Zach and Lawson. 

• Upvote 1

• nelliebelle1197 locked this topic