IGNORED

Jana Duggar 15: Paying her court fine on Duggar time

HerNameIsBuffy

21 hours ago, JermajestyDuggar said:

The absolute weirdest saying I’ve ever heard someone say while speaking English is the Australian slang:

”We’re not here to fuck spiders.”

I’ve been Australian for 55 years (my whole life) and I have never heard that saying until I read this!

• Haha 8
  • I Agree 4

1 hour ago, Karma said:

I’ve been Australian for 55 years (my whole life) and I have never heard that saying until I read this!

I’m wondering if it’s regional. Australia is pretty huge like the US. We definitely have regional dialect here. A lot of the Australian dialect I’ve learned came from “Kath and Kim” 😂 I’m sure not all Australians talk like them. But Kath and Kim never said the “fuck spiders” saying. 

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Karma said:

To me, the saying sounds like it comes from Australians who kinda make fun of a common prejudice against their country (as in, so many people immediately think of spiders when it comes to AUS). So they refer to that in a tongue in cheek way. But I might be wrong. 

• Upvote 1

3 hours ago, JermajestyDuggar said:

I’m wondering if it’s regional. Australia is pretty huge like the US. We definitely have regional dialect here. A lot of the Australian dialect I’ve learned came from “Kath and Kim” 😂 I’m sure not all Australians talk like them. But Kath and Kim never said the “fuck spiders” saying. 

I actually think that is very true even in smaller countries. Even in very small ones. Two villages- ten minutes per car apart can speak completely different languages. It doesn’t get as obvious when most people also speak the High version of their language additionally, because you might not be confronted with it, but when they stay in their regional dialects or idioms it’s pretty obvious. It still the same language, but completely different. AUS - UK - USA are probably the most well known examples. But I think it’s the same with old French, Spanish and Netherland colonies. Isn’t Spanish still the most spoken native language if you look at it globally? But with vastly different forms?

• Upvote 3

6 hours ago, fluffernutter said:

I'm rutching around in this chair, because my foot's sore. I went to make the light out and was so doplic I twisted my ankle.  Well, I'm off to redd up. I'm hungry for a fasnacht. Where am I from? 🤣

Pennsylvania, possibly near Lancaster county.

• Upvote 1
  • I Agree 1

@backyard sylph Is Hi-C like Orange Crush ? We don’t have it where I live. I’m certainly not a perfect mom, I have given my kiddo popsicles when she was sick and food refusing or when she was too hot to eat in the summer but I have not yet given her pop. She does like fizzy water but that’s pretty safe. I have also let her eat Wheat Thins and Breton crackers so yeah, not a perfect mom. 

• Upvote 2

17 hours ago, fluffernutter said:

I'm rutching around in this chair, because my foot's sore. I went to make the light out and was so doplic I twisted my ankle.  Well, I'm off to redd up. I'm hungry for a fasnacht. Where am I from? 🤣

Switzerland?

• Upvote 1

10 hours ago, Expectopatronus said:

@backyard sylph Is Hi-C like Orange Crush ? We don’t have it where I live. I’m certainly not a perfect mom, I have given my kiddo popsicles when she was sick and food refusing or when she was too hot to eat in the summer but I have not yet given her pop. She does like fizzy water but that’s pretty safe. I have also let her eat Wheat Thins and Breton crackers so yeah, not a perfect mom. 

Not the OP, but I'm pretty sure Orange Crush is fizzy, and Hi-C is just a very sweet non-fuzzy juice.

Edited by front hugs > duggs
edit: (non-fizzy, but i'm leaving the typo there!)
  • Upvote 5
  • Thank You 1

Yeah, HI-C is like a juice but it's still questionable to give that to a sick child since it's basically pure sugar (keep in mind it's "juice" and not juice). 

• Upvote 2
  • I Agree 1
  • Thank You 1

1 hour ago, meep said:

Yeah, HI-C is like a juice but it's still questionable to give that to a sick child since it's basically pure sugar (keep in mind it's "juice" and not juice). 

I loved it as a kid, but a few years ago one of my kids bought it by accident and I was so excited for a blast from the past...until it hit my mouth.  It was so sweet my teeth immediately got together and formed a union to protest.

If you ever find yourself in that position a shot of vodka cuts the sweetness.  Just sayin.

Edited by HerNameIsBuffy
  • Haha 23

17 hours ago, Expectopatronus said:

It's a non-carbonated fruity flavored drink. Once when I was around 12 or so, I came in from running a few miles, which, oddly, is a thing I used to do, and drank an entire can of it, which I think was 48 ounces at the time. And then I had a stomachache. I think it had a little juice in it, but mostly water and sugar. I mean, 48 ounces of anything wouldn't have been good, though. 🙂

None of us does it all perfectly with babies, we just do what we know and learn from others, and hope it works out. But I am sad sometimes at how little people have been taught or have retained about basic nutrition and infant health. I kept hoping the internet would help; you can look things up if you don't know what to do. Here we are, though, in interesting times. 

• Upvote 4

My niece put Coke in her 3 month old's bottle, bc she thought the baby was thirsty.  She also didn't listen when I tried to tell her infants don't need Coke.  She didn't listen about a lot of things.  

• Sad 8
  • WTF 6

Speaking of drinks. I’ll never forget the taste of that orange drink at McDonald’s. I know people my age know what I’m talking about. They always served it to drink at McDonalds birthday parties. It was super sweet and orange. When I had to take that horrible glucose test when I was pregnant, the orange flavor tasted just like that McDonalds drink! 

• Upvote 12
  • Haha 5
  • I Agree 1

1 hour ago, JermajestyDuggar said:

Speaking of drinks. I’ll never forget the taste of that orange drink at McDonald’s. I know people my age know what I’m talking about. They always served it to drink at McDonalds birthday parties. It was super sweet and orange. When I had to take that horrible glucose test when I was pregnant, the orange flavor tasted just like that McDonalds drink! 

And you could rent a big cooler with a nozzle on it filled with it, if I remember right. So gross. I was raised on tang in the morning (my parents version of oj), kool-aid, hi-c, and Hawaiian Punch. Now, if I come across Hawaiian Punch, I might just have a little bit. That stuff is so good. The others... not so much. 

• Upvote 5

24 minutes ago, fluffernutter said:

And you could rent a big cooler with a nozzle on it filled with it, if I remember right. So gross. I was raised on tang in the morning (my parents version of oj), kool-aid, hi-c, and Hawaiian Punch. Now, if I come across Hawaiian Punch, I might just have a little bit. That stuff is so good. The others... not so much. 

Yes!  I remember having the big orange tank at birthday parties and sports games sometimes.  I think that was the only orange drink McD’s had at the fountain, too.  Coke products and orange drink.  😝 

• Upvote 3

2 hours ago, JermajestyDuggar said:

When I had to take that horrible glucose test when I was pregnant, the orange flavor tasted just like that McDonalds drink! 

With my first pregnancy I thought the exact same thing.  

• Upvote 4

On 1/19/2022 at 12:44 AM, PossumMagic said:

I think NZ is the same as us in Australia. Here's some of our words

Lolly or lollies for candy/sweets

Soft drink for soda/pop

Capsicum for bell peppers

Coriander for Cilantro

Hot chips for fries

Chips for crisps/chips

Rockmelon for cantaloupe

Rocket for arugula

Potato gems for tater tots!!

There's probably heaps more, they're just the ones I can think of off the top of my head.

P.S. there I go with my Australian English, 'heaps more' means a lot more 😂

My Australian hubby's favorite American phrase that cracks him up is 'root, root, root for the home team'.   Also he still hasn't gotten over us dropping the 2nd 'i' in aluminium.  

On 1/19/2022 at 1:27 PM, fluffernutter said:

My mom from Pittsburgh would say redd up, and I know they have Fastnacht in Basel, Switzerland although your usage makes it sound like a food rather than a holiday.  The others I have no idea.  

• Haha 4

10 minutes ago, Cheetah said:

My Australian hubby's favorite American phrase that cracks him up is 'root, root, root for the home team'.   Also he still hasn't gotten over us dropping the 2nd 'i' in aluminium.  

My mom from Pittsburgh would say redd up, and I know they have Fastnacht in Basel, Switzerland although your usage makes it sound like a food rather than a holiday.  The others I have no idea.  

Oh my god I can’t handle how the British say aluminum! I like other British pronunciations like “laboratory.” That sounds so posh. But I can’t handle aluminum! It sounds like a totally different word. 

• Upvote 5

2 hours ago, JermajestyDuggar said:

Haha I only drank sugary drinks as a child. I lived on koolaid…I couldn’t stand Capri suns, they tasted too much like juice and not sugary enough 😂 When I was pregnant I loved the glucose drink, when I had to go back for the 3 hour test I was excited to get to drink it again. It took me years of slowly watering down my sugar drinks to finally get to tolerate water. Now I only drink water (and soda on the rare occasions I go out to dinner) I started my kids on water only from the time they were born.  I don’t know what 80s mom were thinking giving their kids all that sugar 😂

• Upvote 3
  • WTF 1

1 hour ago, fluffernutter said:

But remember vacation bible school with the cookies and colored metal (whatever those metal dishes were called) pitcers of Koolaid? That somehow was the best 

• Upvote 2
  • I Agree 2

On 1/18/2022 at 6:55 PM, JermajestyDuggar said:

Who fucks spiders!?!? 

Hopefully other spiders, so we get little baby spiderlings. 

• Rufus Bless 3
  • Haha 8

On 1/20/2022 at 9:32 AM, Karma said:

I saw a Twitter thread about this a few months back, I think it’s a WA thing?

• Thank You 1

24 minutes ago, Bassett Lady said:

Hopefully other spiders, so we get little baby spiderlings. 

Don’t many (all) spiders eat their mates?  That might be a good reason not to fuck spiders, even if you are a heterosexual male spider, until/unless your drive to enjoy the big spidery O gets strong enough. 

• Haha 6

54 minutes ago, EmCatlyn said:

Don’t many (all) spiders eat their mates?

Oh, the lovely things I research based on the far afield discussions of this motley group.

”For most of the many species of black widows, cannibalism is the exception, not the rule, according to Rod Crawford of the Burke Museum of Natural History & Culture at the University of Washington.”

Also, it seems sexual cannibalism among spiders 🕷 is inextricably linked to size. The large male spiders avoid being consumed while the little guys get eaten! 

Mr. Basset just asked what I am reading and I got to tell him about the sexual proclivities of voracious female spiders and the cannibalistic escapades of large gals upon tiny fellas. He said he was thankful that he is quite a bit brawnier than me so I am unlikely to get any wild ideas. 

• Upvote 1
  • Haha 15

• Coconut Flan locked this topic