IGNORED

Jana Duggar 15: Paying her court fine on Duggar time

HerNameIsBuffy

2 hours ago, Sarcastically spinster said:

There's the saying that the US and UK are two countries separated by a common language, and it's very true.  As an American raised in the UK and a dual citizen, the main thing that I'm realising from this whole casserole discussion is that I still have no idea which language I'm speaking half the time.  It's all English, but sometimes it's English, and sometimes it's English, and I have had the experience of translating from English to English and it's harder than you might think.  

Some of it's easy.  Some of it is so subtle that you don't even realise it (this was one that I didn't even realise until reading this whole discussion).  

I'll never forget the time that I was supposed to fly back from the UK to the US, and there was an issue with the flight, and I got delayed to the next day.  Leaving the airport, my dad drove off, and I had a panicked moment of thinking he was on the wrong side of the road.  I realised my brain had subconsciously flipped from British to American.  And I'm thinking that it probably has typically done that with the casserole language too.  It's certainly not something where I ever recall getting blank looks that told me I was speaking the wrong English.  

The absolute weirdest saying I’ve ever heard someone say while speaking English is the Australian slang:

”We’re not here to fuck spiders.”

I heard that once and I was beyond confused. Like my mind was working over time to figure it out. It basically means, we aren’t here to fuck around. But oh my god. Who fucks spiders!?!? 

Edited by JermajestyDuggar
  • Upvote 1
  • Haha 28

I really enjoyed the dialect changes when I moved from Connecticut to Iowa.  I worked at a pizza restaurant and my coworkers LOVED to rag on me when I awkwardly told a kid "I'll go see if we have those here" when they asked for a sack.  Apparently that meant a plastic bag, not some burlap container.  And when I took an order for a "meatball grinder" which confused EVERYONE because grinder = sub sandwich, but ONLY in Connecticut and Rhode Island.  I still use the term sack, by the way, even though I've been back longer than I lived there.  And I lovingly tease my husband that pop is what weasels do and soda is what you drink.

My father grew up in a Polish family that emigrated just before his father was born and they were never allowed to speak Polish to him because my grandmother didn't speak it.  He used to say all sorts of odd sayings that we always assumed were a translation of Polish sayings.  My mom's particular least favorite that he stopped saying was "quit fucking the dog" when he wanted someone to hurry up.  But who knows if that one was just because his family was odd.

• Upvote 3
  • Love 1

24 minutes ago, JermajestyDuggar said:

The absolute weirdest saying I’ve ever heard someone say while speaking English is the Australian slang:

I heard that once and I was beyond confused. Like my mind was working over time to figure it out. It basically means , we aren’t here to fuck around. But oh my god. Who fucks spiders!?!? 

I am kiwi and moved to Germany as a kid. First somewhere that spoke “Hochdeutsch” (high German, so basically what you read and write) and then somewhere with a pretty strong dialect that often enough didn’t resemble what you read and write at all. Almost all movies and TV shows get dubbed into German, but what little I saw in English was generally American. Our little rural library didn’t have many books in English, but the few they did tended to be more likely British. I can usually communicate clearly enough with people, but sometimes it does break my brain and apparently I spew pure stupidity! 😂 

The comedian Michael McIntyre has a sketch about American/English words for things and at least half of them have a different word in New Zealand (and often Australia) 

Sidewalk-pavement-footpath is the one I still remember. 

• Upvote 4

1 hour ago, JermajestyDuggar said:

I heard that once and I was beyond confused. Like my mind was working over time to figure it out. It basically means, we aren’t here to fuck around. But oh my god. Who fucks spiders!?!? 

🤣Maybe they have really big spiders in Australia, but it is a waste of time to try to fuck them because you know, different species?🤣

1 hour ago, Coconut Flan said:

She may well have meant a Coca Cola or other soda.  We went through a drive through and picked up a fast food dinner as a treat for us after a long day out playing tourist when my mom came to visit.  I happened to look over into the backseat to see my mother sticking the straw of her Coke into my infant's mouth.  When I kind of shrieked, my mother said well she wanted it.  Apparently giving an infant soda wasn't generally a taboo for some people even in the 80s and 90s.  

In the mid-80s, when my daughter had a stomach upset and we couldn’t get Pedialyte for some reason (I think there was a snowstorm) the pediatrician advised either flat ginger ale or 7-Up, if we had it or else flat Coke/Pepsi.  He said without the bubbles these soft drinks were perfectly good electrolyte solutions.  I believe we had ginger-ale.  The kid survived.

• Upvote 5

1 hour ago, JermajestyDuggar said:

Screw the pooch, is another saying I've heard and my only thought is ewwwww... LOL what is the origin on that one?

• Upvote 2

14 minutes ago, Smoochie said:

Screw the pooch, is another saying I've heard and my only thought is ewwwww... LOL what is the origin on that one?

I purposely never say that one because it reminds me of bestiality! Barf.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, EmCatlyn said:

🤣Maybe they have really big spiders in Australia, but it is a waste of time to try to fuck them because you know, different species?🤣

In the mid-80s, when my daughter had a stomach upset and we couldn’t get Pedialyte for some reason (I think there was a snowstorm) the pediatrician advised either flat ginger ale or 7-Up, if we had it or else flat Coke/Pepsi.  He said without the bubbles these soft drinks were perfectly good electrolyte solutions.  I believe we had ginger-ale.  The kid survived.

Whenever we were sick as kids (1970s), my mom would give us ginger ale or 7up. It was the only time she ever gave us soda, so I hated all of it for the longest time just by association. She also seemed to think scrambled eggs and carrots were the perfect sick day meal. Still haven’t figured that one out. 🤷‍♀️

I eventually grew to love Diet Coke and diet Dr. Pepper, but our love affair is now over. Ruined by acid reflux, damnit. 

• Upvote 6

15 minutes ago, AnywhereButHere said:

Whenever we were sick as kids (1970s), my mom would give us ginger ale or 7up. It was the only time she ever gave us soda, so I hated all of it for the longest time just by association. She also seemed to think scrambled eggs and carrots were the perfect sick day meal. Still haven’t figured that one out. 🤷‍♀️

I eventually grew to love Diet Coke and diet Dr. Pepper, but our love affair is now over. Ruined by acid reflux, damnit. 

Back in the day, I loved Diet DP.

10 hours ago, backyard sylph said:

I like tater tots alone very much

Me too   I like mine sprinkled with a little lemon pepper seasoning rather than salt.  Damn!  Now I'm hungry for some.😋

• Love 1

@Mrs Ms is it true that in NZ ‘lollies’ is a generic term for sweets(candy in US)?

I had a university tutor in the 1980s who was from NZ and he always used this term  - but I didn’t know if it was a NZ thing or a family thing.

• Upvote 3

7 hours ago, JermajestyDuggar said:

You'd need a dick the size of a size-12 sewing needle! 

• Haha 2

43 minutes ago, Idlewild said:

@Mrs Ms is it true that in NZ ‘lollies’ is a generic term for sweets(candy in US)?

I had a university tutor in the 1980s who was from NZ and he always used this term  - but I didn’t know if it was a NZ thing or a family thing.

I think NZ is the same as us in Australia. Here's some of our words

Lolly or lollies for candy/sweets

Soft drink for soda/pop

Capsicum for bell peppers

Coriander for Cilantro

Hot chips for fries

Chips for crisps/chips

Rockmelon for cantaloupe

Rocket for arugula

Potato gems for tater tots!!

There's probably heaps more, they're just the ones I can think of off the top of my head.

P.S. there I go with my Australian English, 'heaps more' means a lot more 😂

Edited by PossumMagic
  • Upvote 7
  • Haha 1
  • I Agree 1
  • Thank You 2
  • Love 1

@PossumMagic

A couple I can think of are:

Eggplant = Aubergine

Jumper = Sweater

I haven't heard the spider phrase before, but slang can be regional in Australia.

Personally the phrase to me that sounds completely wrong to me is a Canadian one "Shagging the dog".  Especially as the meaning I know for "shag" is the british one.

"Screw the pooch" could be the equivalent of "Shagging the dog", but there is at least another couple of meanings of "screw" that I would know about, unlike "shag".  The meaning that would be used in "screw the pooch" is messing things up/do something wrong.

• Upvote 2

3 hours ago, Idlewild said:

Yes

2 hours ago, PossumMagic said:

I think NZ is the same as us in Australia. Here's some of our words

Lolly or lollies for candy/sweets

Soft drink for soda/pop

Capsicum for bell peppers

Coriander for Cilantro

Hot chips for fries

Chips for crisps/chips

Rockmelon for cantaloupe

Rocket for arugula

Potato gems for tater tots!!

There's probably heaps more, they're just the ones I can think of off the top of my head.

P.S. there I go with my Australian English, 'heaps more' means a lot more 😂

Except the footwear things. 😉 Thongs/Flip-Flops/Havannas etc.

In NZ we call them Jandals J(apanese S)andals 

Soft drink or fizzy drink. 
Chips can be for hot or cold ones. 

Edited by Mrs Ms
Always more thoughts
  • Upvote 2

I was going to come in and say pop/soda is soft drink and flip flops are thongs (Aus) or jandals (NZ) but it seems I’ve been beaten to it :) I was born in England to English parents but have lived in Australia since I was 5, and American media dominates. I find it interesting to see which bits of Australian English are common in the UK, which are from the US, and which we’ve developed ourselves. And then we have our own regional differences like the infamous potato cake vs potato scallop debate, or swimmers vs togs vs cossies, or poppers vs fruit boxes.

I cook lasagna, enchiladas and pasta bake all in the oven in my “casserole dish” but wouldn’t call any of those meals casseroles 🤷‍♀️I don’t really know what I WOULD call a casserole though. Some kind of meaty baked dish that I don’t eat (I’m vegetarian).

Oh and @PossumMagic fries are the thin ones, hot chips are the chunkier ones! The ones that you buy from the fish and chip shop smothered in chicken salt (another Aussie invention!)

Re:Jana, I tend towards Occam’s razor here. She’s still unmarried because she hasn’t met anyone she wants to marry. I don’t find that hard to believe, fundie gentlemen aren’t exactly amazing. Several of Jana’s siblings seemed to want to GET MARRIED more than they wanted to find a person worthy of BEING MARRIED to forever. I do hope she’s able to move out one day a la Sarah Maxwell. 

• Upvote 6

11 hours ago, EmCatlyn said:

Yes, I am sure she did. But also a surprising number of people did, and hopefully do not still, but I am not that hopeful, just give their infants sugary soda, or Hi-C, which I remembering hearing someone call "juice" one time, purely as something to drink, on a regular basis. 

3 hours ago, Smee said:

I was going to come in and say pop/soda is soft drink and flip flops are thongs (Aus) or jandals (NZ) but it seems I’ve been beaten to it :) I was born in England to English parents but have lived in Australia since I was 5, and American media dominates. I find it interesting to see which bits of Australian English are common in the UK, which are from the US, and which we’ve developed ourselves. And then we have our own regional differences like the infamous potato cake vs potato scallop debate, or swimmers vs togs vs cossies, or poppers vs fruit boxes.

I cook lasagna, enchiladas and pasta bake all in the oven in my “casserole dish” but wouldn’t call any of those meals casseroles 🤷‍♀️I don’t really know what I WOULD call a casserole though. Some kind of meaty baked dish that I don’t eat (I’m vegetarian).

Oh and @PossumMagic fries are the thin ones, hot chips are the chunkier ones! The ones that you buy from the fish and chip shop smothered in chicken salt (another Aussie invention!)

Re:Jana, I tend towards Occam’s razor here. She’s still unmarried because she hasn’t met anyone she wants to marry. I don’t find that hard to believe, fundie gentlemen aren’t exactly amazing. Several of Jana’s siblings seemed to want to GET MARRIED more than they wanted to find a person worthy of BEING MARRIED to forever. I do hope she’s able to move out one day a la Sarah Maxwell. 

In principle I agree, fries are the thin ones. I don't think I've ever called them fries though! They're all chips, or if differentiating, hot chips vs chips. I even call Macca's fries, chips! Chicken salt is one of our greatest inventions

Oh and I'm team potato scallop, cossie/cozzie and popper. Can you tell where I'm from? 😆

• Love 1

8 hours ago, Idlewild said:

I’m not a native speaker but I’ve lived in NZ for three years and to my knowledge, yes, people often refer to candy as lollies. 

• Thank You 1

4 hours ago, FluffySnowball said:

I’m not a native speaker but I’ve lived in NZ for three years and to my knowledge, yes, people often refer to candy as lollies. 

My anecdotal guess is that 90% of the time they say lollies, the other 10% they say sweets.

I spent half of my life savings in this place. It’s amazing. The fudge …… ohmygosh best on earth. 

https://www.remarkablesweetshop.co.nz

• Upvote 3

In my neck of the woods, we say suckers instead of lollipops. I admit it sounds sort of rude to say sucker since that’s also an insult to easily fooled people. 

• Upvote 1
  • Haha 1
  • I Agree 2

I'm rutching around in this chair, because my foot's sore. I went to make the light out and was so doplic I twisted my ankle.  Well, I'm off to redd up. I'm hungry for a fasnacht. Where am I from? 🤣

• Upvote 2
  • Haha 2

I first heard screw the pooch in the first Spiderman movie (with Tom Holland) and I agree... it is not a pleasant visual. I don't care for the saying; there are better ways to say you messed up. 

• Upvote 1
  • I Agree 1

7 minutes ago, fluffernutter said:

I'm rutching around in this chair, because my foot's sore. I went to make the light out and was so doplic I twisted my ankle.  Well, I'm off to redd up. I'm hungry for a fasnacht. Where am I from? 🤣

I remember when my great grandma and her daughter (my grandma) would say, “youins better Redd up that room.”

And we would be like, “huh?”

• Haha 2

• Coconut Flan locked this topic