IGNORED

Jana Duggar 15: Paying her court fine on Duggar time

HerNameIsBuffy

Yesterday, nytcooking posted a tater tot casserole photo and recipe link on Instagram. Recent comments are yelling that it is "hot dish," because I guess if you have a certain name for something where you live, all of Earth must comply with your thing. 

I think it's perfectly fine that people in the North call casseroles hot dish, of course, but have no understanding why anyone else should, or why people like to "argue" about this sort of thing. Anyway, it still sounds hideous to me, but the picture is pretty. I'll edit this post from my iPad so I can add the link

Edited by backyard sylph
Link
  • Upvote 4

10 minutes ago, backyard sylph said:

Yesterday, nytcooking posted a tater tot casserole photo and recipe link on Instagram. Recent comments are yelling that it is "hot dish," because I guess if you have a certain name for something where you live, all of Earth must comply with your thing. 

I think it's perfectly fine that people in the North call casseroles hot dish, of course, but have no understanding why anyone else should, or why people like to "argue" about this sort of thing. Anyway, it still sounds hideous to me, but the picture is pretty. I'll edit this post from my iPad so I can add the link

I love to tease people when they say soda or coke instead of pop. I will say pop until my dying day. But it really isn’t a big deal. Some people might insist it’s called hot dish in a joking way. But others might be more serious. 

• Upvote 5
  • Love 3

4 minutes ago, JermajestyDuggar said:

I love to tease people when they say soda or coke instead of pop. I will say pop until my dying day. But it really isn’t a big deal. Some people might insist it’s called hot dish in a joking way. But others might be more serious. 

Yeah, some of them seemed a bit like, "ugh, we claim this as our own," which is a real pet peeve of mine. People can be so serious about the oddest things, especially on the internet. I'm sure you are correct that others are just having a good time with it, though. 

I find it odd when people call all those drinks Coke as that is obviously one particular kind. Otherwise, all the words seem fine to me, and I like hearing different ones when I (used to) go places. I have no patience for endless discussions on it, though, I will confess. 

• Upvote 4

14 minutes ago, backyard sylph said:

Yeah, some of them seemed a bit like, "ugh, we claim this as our own," which is a real pet peeve of mine. People can be so serious about the oddest things, especially on the internet. I'm sure you are correct that others are just having a good time with it, though. 

I find it odd when people call all those drinks Coke as that is obviously one particular kind. Otherwise, all the words seem fine to me, and I like hearing different ones when I (used to) go places. I have no patience for endless discussions on it, though, I will confess. 

Yes, it’s so confusing in the south when they say Coke for all pops. I never drink Coke. It’s too sugary for me. So I would always say no to a Coke but I might take a Diet Coke. Which is confusing.

• Upvote 2

47 minutes ago, backyard sylph said:

It may be something akin to pica, but I love tatar tot casserole. Mr. C. Is not a fan.

• Haha 7

13 minutes ago, Cults-r-us said:

It may be something akin to pica

This is hilarious and I'm stealing this to use for all the weird foods I love.

• Upvote 1
  • Love 2

1 hour ago, JermajestyDuggar said:

Yes, it’s so confusing in the south when they say Coke for all pops. I never drink Coke. It’s too sugary for me. So I would always say no to a Coke but I might take a Diet Coke. Which is confusing.

My husband drinks Pepsi and calls it Coke. Drives me crazy! 

• Upvote 3
  • WTF 1
  • Haha 7

On 1/14/2022 at 11:40 PM, EmCatlyn said:

Originally a “Dutch oven” would have a more flat lid and coals or other heating elements were placed on the lid and around the pot.  With that curving lid, it would have been called a casserole.

It really is entertaining how even the pots and pans can have different names and uses depending on where and when.

I thought that a "Dutch oven" had "legs" so you could place it directly on the charcoal or wood fire. At least that's what outdoor equipment shops sell as "Dutch oven" here in Austria (using the English name).

Le Creuset also produces also a pot/casserole with a concave lid. It is not for coals, but for ice-cubes (or very cold water) - the idea being that the steam condenses when it reaches the lid and drips on the food, keeping it soft and juicy and you need not add a lot of liquid. https://ovenspot.com/le-creuset-doufeu/

I learn a lot here and I also google a lot if I can't figure out what you are talking about. And I cooked cottage pie twice this week because I came across it in another thread and realized that I had never made it (and last eaten it 30 ys ago in Scotland).

• Upvote 6
  • Love 1

1 hour ago, Cults-r-us said:

It may be something akin to pica, but I love tatar tot casserole. Mr. C. Is not a fan.

I suppose there is a non-medical term for foods we have compulsive drives for, I know I have a couple. At least, it's likely the Germans have a word for this!

I like tater tots alone very much, and I'm thinking I might like them with eggs, as a sort of simple hash. But I'm happy to just eat a whole pile of them, dusted with some hot spice blend. 🙂

• Upvote 4

8 minutes ago, backyard sylph said:

I suppose there is a non-medical term for foods we have compulsive drives for, I know I have a couple. At least, it's likely the Germans have a word for this!

I can only think of "Leibspeise" but that is just your favourite dish, the dish you would like to eat often. (not necessarily st you have a compulsive drive for)

• Upvote 4

I’m English so it’s always ‘pop’ for me! The Coke thing is a bit like hoover in the UK- all vacuum cleaners are referred to as a hoover because that was the most popular brand decades ago- it’s even a verb eg ‘I’ll hoover the rug’! It’s only when you say it to non British people that it strikes you as weird.

• Upvote 7

36 minutes ago, ju_wien said:

I learn a lot here and I also google a lot if I can't figure out what you are talking about.

Absolutely! Even if I disagree with the crux of a post I certainly appreciate the new info.

• Upvote 3
  • Love 1

26 minutes ago, ju_wien said:

I can only think of "Leibspeise" but that is just your favourite dish, the dish you would like to eat often. (not necessarily st you have a compulsive drive for)

That's good to know, and also I like the sound of it, thanks. 

• Upvote 1
  • Love 1

Pop is the name for soda that is nails on chalkboard for me.  It all depends on your region.  I grew up in the land where coke was the generic name for soda.  Then there was one relative who called it sodie pop.  That is not a typo.  

• Upvote 6
  • Haha 2
  • Love 1

2 hours ago, JermajestyDuggar said:

I am from Texas and I have never heard anyone refer to a cold drink as a pop. I call them by their proper name such as Coke, Dr. Pepper or whatever I want.

• Upvote 5

1 hour ago, libgirl2 said:

My husband drinks Pepsi and calls it Coke. Drives me crazy! 

My brother-in-law does similar stuff. Like he'll ask my sister to make tuna salad and then be mad when she actually makes tuna salad because what he meant was chicken salad!

59 minutes ago, backyard sylph said:

I like tater tots alone very much... But I'm happy to just eat a whole pile of them, dusted with some hot spice blend. 🙂

I also love some tater tots. With lots of ketchup. 

9 minutes ago, sansan said:

I am from Texas and I have never heard anyone refer to a cold drink as a pop. I call them by their proper name such as Coke, Dr. Pepper or whatever I want.

I'm in North Carolina, and I've heard "pop", but it was from a friend who had recently moved here from Ohio! We also call them by their proper name. If I don't know what brand of products a restaurant has, I'll ask for Coke (because I much prefer it), and if they don't have it they'll say "oh we have Pepsi, is that OK?" and depending on the place I'll either say "sure, and can I have a lemon slice* in that?" or switch to sweet iced tea.

I've never heard someone say "Coke" and mean anything other than cola. They might say "Coke" and be OK with Pepsi or RC, but "Coke" is never going to mean Sun Drop, Sprite, Dr. Pepper, Cheerwine or anything that isn't cola. That's just a drink. Or soda. But generally just "a drink". Like "want something to drink? We've got Coke, Sun Drop, and tea." "Yeah, I'll have a Coke, thanks." or asking a server "what kind of drinks do you have?" meaning "do you serve Coke or Pepsi products here?" but leaving open the option to be surprised by Cherry Lemon Sundrop or strawberry lemonade or some craft ginger ale, or something else special being available. 

I believe the Coke = any soda thing must exist somewhere, but I have never actually seen or heard it happen.

*A squeeze of lemon in a Pepsi makes it taste a bit more like Coke, it's a vast improvement IMO. If there are make-your-own fountain drinks I'll put a little Mountain Dew in the Pepsi, and that's even better. 

• Upvote 2

Texas is so huge I don’t believe it’s all considered the south. East Texas is probably considered the south. But I doubt west Texas is.

• Upvote 1
  • I Agree 3

We call coke, pepsi, gingerale, etc poo as a catchall term. Years ago my sister and I were on a cruise to Alaska and we had taken a flight plane tour. In the van on the way back to the boat, my sister asked the driver if there was anywhere she could get some pop near the ship.

The driver sounded kind of shocked and hesitated for a second. My sister clarified you know like coke or pepsi. The driver then sounded very relieved and said oh not pot. You mean soda. We found out then that it is apparently soda in Alaska and she thought we were looking to buy marijuana.😄

• Upvote 1
  • Haha 16

9 minutes ago, Baxter said:

We call coke, pepsi, gingerale, etc poo as a catchall term.

This typo wins the day!!! :) It made me giggle.

48 minutes ago, Alisamer said:

I believe the Coke = any soda thing must exist somewhere, but I have never actually seen or heard it happen.

I spent a few weeks in Alabama in 2002 and I remember multiple people referring to any soda as Coke! I was so confused! I'm from New England and we either call it soda if we're referring to soft drinks generically, or just ask for the specific brand we want!

• Upvote 7
  • I Agree 1

We love casseroles - or "Auflauf" because we are Germans. It is the dish we make when we have several vegetables which might go bad. Or if we have bought too much vegetables. Or when we have only one carrot, one potatoe, half a zucchini, well sometimes the vegetable-box in our fridge simply screams "Auflauf". I never use packaged seasoning for it, I always do it from scratch. We put any cheese we find on top, but my favourite cheese for Auflauf are either Gouda or shredded Mozzarella. When we have no cheese left (and yes these days happen-very rarely- but they exist) we put sour cream on top of it. It's been a while since we had this, maybe it's time.

I remember when I moved into my first apartment I called my mom because in a recipe book was a "Kasserolle" needed. I had no idea what it was and my mum told me it was simply a pot with one handle (and a lid) that can be used in the oven. The word Kasserole never made it into my vocabulary. I will always call this a pot.
I love it when words have different meanings in different countries but look so similar.  It shows that language is not static but flexible.

Edited by Scrabblemaster
Sorry I was not finished.
  • Upvote 14
  • Love 1

4 hours ago, ju_wien said:

I thought that a "Dutch oven" had "legs" so you could place it directly on the charcoal or wood fire. At least that's what outdoor equipment shops sell as "Dutch oven" here in Austria (using the English name).

Le Creuset also produces also a pot/casserole with a concave lid. It is not for coals, but for ice-cubes (or very cold water) - the idea being that the steam condenses when it reaches the lid and drips on the food, keeping it soft and juicy and you need not add a lot of liquid. https://ovenspot.com/le-creuset-doufeu/

I learn a lot here and I also google a lot if I can't figure out what you are talking about. And I cooked cottage pie twice this week because I came across it in another thread and realized that I had never made it (and last eaten it 30 ys ago in Scotland).

The term “Dutch oven” covers a lot, and actually refers to an American invention.  As I understand it, the British took a skillet-making design from the Dutch and modified it—probably in cast-iron—and Americans took it from there.   However, there is also a version that says the Dutch settlers inspired the Americans to make the first “Dutch ovens.”

In any case, the American “Dutch oven” in the late 18th and early-mid 19th century had the concave lid and sometimes the little legs.  They were supposed to be very useful both for fireplace and outdoor cooking. (Not surprisingly, the legged version today is used for camping.)

Somewhere I have a recipe for bread that can be made on a stovetop “Dutch oven,” but I have never tried it.  I do know that it doesn’t require a concave-lid Dutch oven. 😉

I too learn a lot on these boards or from googling in relation to our discussions here.

Here are two links to accounts of the history of the Dutch oven:

https://www.allrecipes.com/article/is-the-dutch-oven-actually-dutch/

https://bushcooking.com/history-dutch-ovens/

• Upvote 6
  • Thank You 1

There's the saying that the US and UK are two countries separated by a common language, and it's very true.  As an American raised in the UK and a dual citizen, the main thing that I'm realising from this whole casserole discussion is that I still have no idea which language I'm speaking half the time.  It's all English, but sometimes it's English, and sometimes it's English, and I have had the experience of translating from English to English and it's harder than you might think.  

Some of it's easy.  Some of it is so subtle that you don't even realise it (this was one that I didn't even realise until reading this whole discussion).  

I'll never forget the time that I was supposed to fly back from the UK to the US, and there was an issue with the flight, and I got delayed to the next day.  Leaving the airport, my dad drove off, and I had a panicked moment of thinking he was on the wrong side of the road.  I realised my brain had subconsciously flipped from British to American.  And I'm thinking that it probably has typically done that with the casserole language too.  It's certainly not something where I ever recall getting blank looks that told me I was speaking the wrong English.  

• Upvote 12
  • Haha 7

32 minutes ago, Sarcastically spinster said:

There's the saying that the US and UK are two countries separated by a common language, and it's very true.  As an American raised in the UK and a dual citizen, the main thing that I'm realising from this whole casserole discussion is that I still have no idea which language I'm speaking half the time.  It's all English, but sometimes it's English, and sometimes it's English, and I have had the experience of translating from English to English and it's harder than you might think.  

Some of it's easy.  Some of it is so subtle that you don't even realise it (this was one that I didn't even realise until reading this whole discussion).  

I'll never forget the time that I was supposed to fly back from the UK to the US, and there was an issue with the flight, and I got delayed to the next day.  Leaving the airport, my dad drove off, and I had a panicked moment of thinking he was on the wrong side of the road.  I realised my brain had subconsciously flipped from British to American.  And I'm thinking that it probably has typically done that with the casserole language too.  It's certainly not something where I ever recall getting blank looks that told me I was speaking the wrong English.  

I know the feeling! I grew up with different versions of Spanish.  (At least 4 different dialects.)

On the culinary end, my favorite example is that what the Mexicans and Central Americans call “tortilla” is not what the rest of the Spanish-speaking world calls “tortilla.”  For us, a tortilla is an omelette.  😁

• Upvote 9
  • Confused 1

4 hours ago, Alisamer said:

My brother-in-law does similar stuff. Like he'll ask my sister to make tuna salad and then be mad when she actually makes tuna salad because what he meant was chicken salad!

I also love some tater tots. With lots of ketchup. 

I'm in North Carolina, and I've heard "pop", but it was from a friend who had recently moved here from Ohio! We also call them by their proper name. If I don't know what brand of products a restaurant has, I'll ask for Coke (because I much prefer it), and if they don't have it they'll say "oh we have Pepsi, is that OK?" and depending on the place I'll either say "sure, and can I have a lemon slice* in that?" or switch to sweet iced tea.

I've never heard someone say "Coke" and mean anything other than cola. They might say "Coke" and be OK with Pepsi or RC, but "Coke" is never going to mean Sun Drop, Sprite, Dr. Pepper, Cheerwine or anything that isn't cola. That's just a drink. Or soda. But generally just "a drink". Like "want something to drink? We've got Coke, Sun Drop, and tea." "Yeah, I'll have a Coke, thanks." or asking a server "what kind of drinks do you have?" meaning "do you serve Coke or Pepsi products here?" but leaving open the option to be surprised by Cherry Lemon Sundrop or strawberry lemonade or some craft ginger ale, or something else special being available. 

*A squeeze of lemon in a Pepsi makes it taste a bit more like Coke, it's a vast improvement IMO. If there are make-your-own fountain drinks I'll put a little Mountain Dew in the Pepsi, and that's even better. 

I've heard it in Louisville. "Would you like a Coke?" "Sure." "What kind would you like?" 

And also, when visiting husband's friend's family there in the mid-90s, "Would the baby like a Coke?" As the baby was seven months old at the time, we declined the offer. But who even knows what she meant, because apparently she did call all the sodas that. 

I rarely drink sweet sodas, am a lifelong seltzer or sparkling water lover, but I will occasionally enjoy Dr Pepper or Coke with lime. It was crazy to me, having grown up with only lemon or lime seltzer, for it to suddenly be a Huge Many-Flavored Thing. I made my kids drink it instead of the other stuff when they were younger, and I enjoy thinking these new flavors started being invented just for them. But also I wonder what the "everything is Coke" people call them. 

• Upvote 2
  • I Agree 1

49 minutes ago, backyard sylph said:

And also, when visiting husband's friend's family there in the mid-90s, "Would the baby like a Coke?" As the baby was seven months old at the time, we declined the offer. But who even knows what she meant, because apparently she did call all the sodas that. 

She may well have meant a Coca Cola or other soda.  We went through a drive through and picked up a fast food dinner as a treat for us after a long day out playing tourist when my mom came to visit.  I happened to look over into the backseat to see my mother sticking the straw of her Coke into my infant's mouth.  When I kind of shrieked, my mother said well she wanted it.  Apparently giving an infant soda wasn't generally a taboo for some people even in the 80s and 90s.  

Edited by Coconut Flan
  • Upvote 3
  • WTF 1

• Coconut Flan locked this topic