IGNORED

Jana Duggar 15: Paying her court fine on Duggar time

HerNameIsBuffy

44 minutes ago, justoneoftwo said:

I would differentiate a soup from a casserole and that a casserole has to have layers. My grandmother's casserole had no cream of anything soup and was layered ground beef rice corn bacon and tomatoes or tomato sauce. Her stool was not like a soup either but was ground beef potatoes carrots and onions boiled with gravy and biscuits on top. By this definition I suppose lasagna would be a casserole that I would never have called it one. It may be American Centric but I would only ever call a casserole something that was Anglo based and lasagna is its own thing as are enchiladas 

My husband is also American and insist that my stew is not a stew and he doesn't know what to call it because it is too thick and we eat it on plates with a fork

It's fascinating how many different versions we all have for the same word.  None of my casseroles have layers.  

• Upvote 4
  • I Agree 3

2 hours ago, Snarkasarus Rex said:

Generally, the states encourage kinship care as the first option before placing a child in the foster care system. And I think it’s fair to say Rachel was in the dark about what went on in that house like other extended family members. Legally, there was nothing that made the Duggars ineligible for kinship care.

Sadly, foster care is a crapshoot in terms of the type of families children are placed with. I don’t blame her for selecting the known quantity over a family she didn’t know. 

So could Jana’s child endangerment charge affect Tyler’s placement with the Duggars? Could he be the child who was endangered and police got involved because he’s foster care?

5 minutes ago, Father Son Holy Goat said:

So could Jana’s child endangerment charge affect Tyler’s placement with the Duggars? Could he be the child who was endangered and police got involved because he’s foster care?

I’m not sure it should - if having Josh around didn’t affect it then this shouldn’t. Jana is not his guardian and he is too old to need watching over. 

• Upvote 2
  • I Agree 4

3 minutes ago, Idlewild said:

I’m not sure it should - if having Josh around didn’t affect it then this shouldn’t. Jana is not his guardian and he is too old to need watching over. 

I don't know how the law works, but I agree it shouldn't be relevant as what happened isn't a risk to him.

• Upvote 1

4 hours ago, AprilQuilt said:

this I think is a uniquely American definition - in the UK we don't have an umbrella term for foods baked in a shallow-ish pan like lasagne, enchiladas or shepherd's pie. To us those are all distinct dishes, not part of one group, and 'casserole' means something more like the stew as you describe it. You would usually expect it to be cooked long and slow in the oven, but these days of course you could do it in a slow cooker too. The dish takes its name from the French cooking pot, which is deep, lidded, and usually made from cast iron. If I said 'can you get the casserole down from the shelf?' I'd be talking about the cooking pot not the food.

Reveal hidden contents

15147123_31844951_2048.thumb.jpg.2bf0cf61910a890cc10417047a407499.jpg

Just noting that this is a regional differentiation and so @Someone Out There's definition is also correct and might have been helpful to the OP.

Yes, the term “casserole” comes from the original baking dish, which, as you point out, can be used both in the oven and on the stove top.  In the US, the term “casserole” refers exclusively to dishes cooked in the oven, usually uncovered. (As your picture shows, the classic casserole dish is covered.)

American casseroles tend to have a topping that is browned which is a major reason they are baked rather than cooked on the stove top.

Just as “cookies,” “biscuits,” and “muffins” are different things in the US than in the UK, “casserole” in American English is its own thing.😉

• Upvote 6

On 1/11/2022 at 9:37 AM, fluffernutter said:

Mmmmm do you happen to know the recipe? I love broccoli. Especially when it's smothered in yumminess. 🤣

I have a quick and easy chicken divan recipe that I cook all the time.  I use fresh broccoli put on the bottom of the pan, chopped chicken (I use precooked chicken strips cut up), mix up 1 can cream of chicken and about 1/2 cup sour cream and shredded cheese.  I also like to add some curry powder and lemon juice to the mix.  Pour over the top of the chicken and broccoli and then top with either panko or bread crumbs that have been mixed with a bit of melted butter.  Bake until the top is browned.  

• Upvote 4

Just tossing out this link to the Gallery of Regrettable Food. I think you'll find some interesting "casseroles" there. 

20 hours ago, EmCatlyn said:

I agree that the only thing that makes Jana’s remaining unmarried at 32 is that in her culture she was expected to have married by her mid -twenties at the latest.  It’s not a big deal in the ordinary way, but because of her circumstances, it causes remark.  I do think that her choice not to marry so far may be one of the few choices she has been able to make, and that it may be a quiet sort of rebellion.  I don’t thinks she really wants to marry, but the reasons are open to speculation…

I'm going to shock myself by suggesting that Jana might ought to take a look at Sarah Maxwell as a role model! She's living on her own with her dog, not in the parents' house anymore.

I don't really know why Jana hasn't married yet, and I don't think we'll ever know unless she decides to go public. And even then it'd be curated. I'm personally just a big fan of young adults moving out on their own at some point if and when they can, rather than living at home with their parents until marrying. Maybe that's college, maybe it's an apartment with friends, maybe it's an internship somewhere, maybe it's a gap year traveling the world. Just some time of a few months having to adult on their own is a very good thing for many people. (Obligatory - not all people, of course every situation is different, etc.)

Jana certainly had the money available to get away from home for an extended time, and I can't imagine if she'd pushed that JB and M would have banned her from attending some super-conservative Bible college or going on a mission, or being a nanny for a pastor somewhere, or something. Did she not want to? Did she just not bother to ask, knowing it would stir up trouble? Did she feel obligated to stay home and parent the littles? Who knows?

But now the littles are not so little. It might be time for her to spread her wings if she wants, in a few years. Or she might stay and care for JB and M hoping to inherit as much as possible. Who knows?

• Upvote 6

21 minutes ago, karenb4729 said:

I have a quick and easy chicken divan recipe that I cook all the time.  I use fresh broccoli put on the bottom of the pan, chopped chicken (I use precooked chicken strips cut up), mix up 1 can cream of chicken and about 1/2 cup sour cream and shredded cheese.  I also like to add some curry powder and lemon juice to the mix.  Pour over the top of the chicken and broccoli and then top with either panko or bread crumbs that have been mixed with a bit of melted butter.  Bake until the top is browned.  

That sounds really good.  What kind of cheese do you use?  If it's gruyere or mozzarella i have everything to make this at home and it's going to be dinner tomorrow.  

• Upvote 4

2 hours ago, Father Son Holy Goat said:

I thought they had legally adopted him? 

Just a point to an above:  Tyler is not in foster care.  He's in a family generated guardianship to keep him OUT of foster care.  Once filed by the court, unless something comes up no one official checks on it or is concerned about it.  

No they didn't adopt him.  That rumor started from people not understanding guardianship.  

• Upvote 11
  • I Agree 1
  • Thank You 9

6 hours ago, AprilQuilt said:

this I think is a uniquely American definition - in the UK we don't have an umbrella term for foods baked in a shallow-ish pan like lasagne, enchiladas or shepherd's pie. To us those are all distinct dishes, not part of one group, and 'casserole' means something more like the stew as you describe it. You would usually expect it to be cooked long and slow in the oven, but these days of course you could do it in a slow cooker too. The dish takes its name from the French cooking pot, which is deep, lidded, and usually made from cast iron. If I said 'can you get the casserole down from the shelf?' I'd be talking about the cooking pot not the food.

Hide contents

15147123_31844951_2048.thumb.jpg.2bf0cf61910a890cc10417047a407499.jpg

Just noting that this is a regional differentiation and so @Someone Out There's definition is also correct and might have been helpful to the OP.

I have that same pot in blue.  I thought that was called a Dutch oven?  It's a great pot but so heavy.

• Upvote 1
  • I Agree 3

33 minutes ago, HerNameIsBuffy said:

I have that same pot in blue.  I thought that was called a Dutch oven?  It's a great pot but so heavy.

I would definitely call that a Dutch oven (as does the manufacturer). I use mine all the time to make soups, pot roast, stew, etc. but never for a casserole. Although I guess that has something to do with the different definitions of casserole depending on location. To me a casserole dish is wider and shallower than a Dutch oven, something more like this. I would also never use a casserole dish on the stove, but I do my Dutch oven. 

It's so interesting to me how language develops geographically and culturally. 

• Upvote 8
  • I Agree 1

2 minutes ago, OHFL2009 said:

I would definitely call that a Dutch oven (as does the manufacturer). I use mine all the time to make soups, pot roast, stew, etc. but never for a casserole. Although I guess that has something to do with the different definitions of casserole depending on location. To me a casserole dish is wider and shallower than a Dutch oven, something more like this. I would also never use a casserole dish on the stove, but I do my Dutch oven. 

Yes, this is the same as my casserole dish, I have three sizes - they aren't for use on the stove.

I find the differences interesting as well.  

Spoiler

dish.JPG

• I Agree 1

4 hours ago, justoneoftwo said:

My grandmother's casserole had no cream of anything soup and was layered ground beef rice corn bacon and tomatoes or tomato sauce. Her stool was not like a soup either but was ground beef potatoes carrots and onions boiled with gravy and biscuits on top.

My favorite typo (or mis-heard dictation) in a long time! In the USA, at least my region, "stool" is a euphemism for bowel movement... poop. @justoneoftwo, I realize you meant 'stew.' Your grandmother's casserole sounds tasty.

• Upvote 2
  • Haha 8
  • I Agree 1

2 hours ago, HerNameIsBuffy said:

That sounds really good.  What kind of cheese do you use?  If it's gruyere or mozzarella i have everything to make this at home and it's going to be dinner tomorrow.  

I use a sharp cheddar.  It's super easy to make and tastes great.  I normally serve with rice.

• Upvote 2
  • Thank You 1

Lordy, I had a dream Jana was in a courtship last night to some guy named Peter W something he was a friend of stephens and I was like ohhh that explains Steven being around and I was like omg got to get to fj! It’s gunna be hot. I forgot the dream until I did indeed open fj and was like what Jana isn’t in a courtship.  Really tacky courtship proposal too Peter needs to lift his game.

• Haha 14

2 hours ago, HerNameIsBuffy said:

Yes, this is the same as my casserole dish, I have three sizes - they aren't for use on the stove.

I find the differences interesting as well.  

Hide contents

dish.JPG

yeah I have two of that precise one, and we'd call it maybe a roasting pan/dish. If we called it anything. There's a popular cookbook series here called 'The Roasting Tin' which is all recipes you can make in a dish like that.

2 hours ago, OHFL2009 said:

ha, yes you are presumably being directed to the US site if you see Dutch oven. I get redirected to the UK site where it's casseroles all the way down. It is genuinely a regional thing.

Spoiler

casserole.thumb.png.ce37730c0732e1e4a378f8d3e280c8b9.png

I don't think there's right or wrong, I was initially responding to someone correcting another poster for saying that a casserole is like a stew you cook in the oven - when in the UK that definition is totally right. An American casserole is a not-too-sloppy possibly-layered baked thing which may include tinned soup, a European casserole is a stew. The American type casserole as a food genre doesn't exist in Europe at all. 

• Upvote 3

3 hours ago, HerNameIsBuffy said:

Originally a “Dutch oven” would have a more flat lid and coals or other heating elements were placed on the lid and around the pot.  With that curving lid, it would have been called a casserole.

It really is entertaining how even the pots and pans can have different names and uses depending on where and when.

• Upvote 3

Tonight I’m having leftovers from a casserole I made up on the fly and decided to call enchil-hot-dish (hot dish + enchilada-ish). I didn’t have enough tortillas for a full batch of enchiladas, so I chopped up the tortillas I did have, mixed them together with cooked pinto beans, brown rice, leftover roast chicken, and some salsa. Put it all in a Pyrex dish and topped with shredded cheese. I would classify that as a “classic” US-style casserole because I made it as a way to use up what I had on hand.

• Upvote 9

The casserole discussion has been very interesting. I wanted to clarify that I don’t actually consider enchiladas or lasagna to be casseroles; I was trying to explain the concept to those outside the US. When I searched for examples of casseroles, there was a preview of the New York Times cooking site that listed their top casseroles - and one of them was tater tot casserole! Layers and soup are not requirements for me to call something a casserole.

Edited by QuiverFullofBooks
Added more
  • Upvote 5

1 hour ago, AprilQuilt said:

I don't think there's right or wrong, I was initially responding to someone correcting another poster for saying that a casserole is like a stew you cook in the oven - when in the UK that definition is totally right. An American casserole is a not-too-sloppy possibly-layered baked thing which may include tinned soup, a European casserole is a stew. The American type casserole as a food genre doesn't exist in Europe at all. 

Funnily enough, it DOES exist in Germany! 😁There is the German term “Auflauf”, which yes, basically means “casserole” (the American type). And just like in the US, while lasagna would technically qualify as “Auflauf” (layered/mixed foods in a flat dish baked in the oven, often with grated cheese on top), it’s typically considered a dish of its own.

• Upvote 7
  • I Agree 1
  • Thank You 2
  • Love 2

I suppose what makes a stew and a baked casserole similar is that they are one pot meals containing several food groups, and they're both usually cooked slowly, though they don't have to be. 

When I was a kid I assumed I hated all casseroles, which my mother never made, because of the texture combinations, for one thing. Mom also never bought condensed soup except tomato. Actually, there are a lot of common foods from my childhood years that I never tasted until I was an adult, and probably quite a few others I've never gotten around to. I like reading about what other people eat, though. In my Pickup job, I like seeing what other people are buying and imagining what they're making with it. It's fun when everyone decides it's chili season, for example. 

• Upvote 3
  • Love 1

This is the casserole dish my family used. I remember having only tuna noodle casserole in it, and yes, it contained canned cream of mushroom soup.

image.jpeg.e9edb4aaf15738f045a357d0cb8ad802.jpeg

• Upvote 1
  • I Agree 1

2 hours ago, AussieKrissy said:

Lordy, I had a dream Jana was in a courtship last night to some guy named Peter W something he was a friend of stephens and I was like ohhh that explains Steven being around and I was like omg got to get to fj! It’s gunna be hot. I forgot the dream until I did indeed open fj and was like what Jana isn’t in a courtship.  Really tacky courtship proposal too Peter needs to lift his game.

Glad I'm not the only one having courtship dreams! I had one recently where I was chaperoning Kaylee Rodrigues and her guy, Jill was SEVERELY annoyed at me because I encouraged them to openly discuss whether they wanted children and where they wanted to live.

• Upvote 1
  • Haha 12

6 minutes ago, Bastet said:

This is the casserole dish my family used. I remember having only tuna noodle casserole in it, and yes, it contained canned cream of mushroom soup.

image.jpeg.e9edb4aaf15738f045a357d0cb8ad802.jpeg

I have that dish without the lid.  It was my moms, now I'm wondering if it came with the lid and one of us broke it along the way.

• Upvote 2

• Coconut Flan locked this topic