IGNORED

Sister Wives 7: One Down and Three to Go

Coconut Flan

48 minutes ago, Dominionatrix said:

Regrettably, Christine, Janelle, and Maddie are all pushing Plexus, and have a separate Instagram account dedicated to it (it has 30,000 followers!):

https://instagram.com/the_secret_to_selfcare?utm_medium=copy_link

I know Christine and Maddie used to sell Lularoe, and Meri still does.

6643BF41-E6CA-448D-9EC3-BB015132F5D2.png

I’m curious what their ranks are…the Browns have done MLMs for ages. Before LuLaRoe and before the show started (or in the early days of it) I think Kody was selling some sort of MLM health product.

• Upvote 3

I get that Mormon women are often stay-at-home moms and that a job that allows you to be home with your children would be really attractive, but wouldn’t word get around that MLMs are a ripoff? Don’t Mormons talk honestly to one another about such things? I guess not. . . . 

Edited by Bastet
  • Upvote 6

Talking about money/finances would be against the social norm. Only issues that disrupt the church mission would merit comment by regional or SLC leaders. And if advice is broadly given, members can easily choose not to follow it like they do about vaccinations and masks.

MLMs will always be around but with the advance of technology there have been more options for SAHMs. You can teach yourself digital photography, and I know quite a few who work for VIPKID. And don’t forget the Mormon mommy influencers on IG and YT.

• Upvote 4

Talking about money/finances would be against the social norm. Only issues that disrupt the church mission would merit comment by regional or SLC leaders.

Don’t Mormons tithe? Wouldn’t something that damages family financial stability disrupt the church mission? Glad that Mormon women have better options now. 

• Upvote 2

But technically the brown family isn’t Mormon. There are some offshoot polygamist sect.

• I Agree 1

4 hours ago, Bastet said:

Don’t Mormons tithe? Wouldn’t something that damages family financial stability disrupt the church mission? Glad that Mormon women have better options now. 

If someone has stewardship and is aware of issues then yes. For example if you need support from the bishop’s storehouse, then the bishop may address any self-made issues through counsel.

An honest tithe is a personal matter and people will continue to pay tithing even if they can’t really afford to, so unless they fall under the above situation the bishop likely would be unaware.

Regarding better options, there’s definitely been a shift due to economic realities with more two-person working households. The top leadership seems to recognize this now but they were late IMO.

The Browns are not LDS (polygamy is not practiced mainstream) but these are cultural practices that would still linger. Also many families keep their foot in the church door even if they don’t obey major commandments. IIRC the Browns have practiced home church since they left Utah? I thought my coworker told me (2010-2011) that she went to church with them but my memory is fuzzy and she may have been referring to when it was just Kody and Meri.

• Upvote 3

Each episode I think I can not hate Kody and Robyn more than I already did. And each episode I despise them more than before. Tonight's episode was no exception.

• Upvote 4
  • I Agree 4

1 hour ago, Queen Of Hearts said:

Each episode I think I can not hate Kody and Robyn more than I already did. And each episode I despise them more than before. Tonight's episode was no exception.

Every episode I sit there and think, has Cody not called any of his kids during the past 9 months?? And every episode it appears he hasn’t… 

Group chat Kody, group chat… Get amongst it.. 

• Upvote 9

I don't know why Kody didn't meet with each family (outside if necessary) at the beginning of COVID, or once we realized two weeks wasn't going to be enough so early April 2020 and say here are the rules. If they change, I will update you. Type them up, email or text them to everyone with a phone, print it out, put it on the fridge. Kody claims he is looking at the big picture, meet with the kids and share the big picture, share the rules, if they choose not to comply at least they are making an informed decision.

I wouldn't be surprised if Kody was fine with Robyn getting some of the blame for the rules, so he wasn't always the bad guy. Robyn said a kid called her (guessing it was Gabe) asking about the rules thinking she was in charge, at that time Kody should have met with all the kids (either one family at a time, or the whole family at Coyote Pass) and explained why he came up with the list, and why he felt it was important. Telling four-year-old Ari this is the rule is one thing, it won't work as well with the older kids. Instead, Kody chose not to come up with a formal list, chose not to tell the kids the rules instead had it filtered through the wives (when Janelle was asking for the list for months). Kody what are you doing that is so important you can't meet with all the kids in town and discuss the rules, and why they are what they are. Email them to the kids out of town so they know the rules if they choose to visit, or what the rules would be for visiting. 

Gabe was brave to express his feelings so openly on TV. I doubt many 19 year olds would be that vulnerable for the world to see. 

Kody's whole if Christmas doesn't go well, we aren't getting together again shows me he is ok with the crowd not getting together. I understand you don't want the kids fighting over covid or politics, but come on, set some ground rules and enjoy the fact everyone is healthy and gets to be together. Apparently, he would rather sulk over not being the head of the family. 

2 hours ago, BensAllergies said:

IIRC the Browns have practiced home church since they left Utah?

When they moved to Vegas at least early on they claimed to gather each Sunday to have home church. I don't know what they've done for the past several years, because I didn't get the impression, they still met for home church weekly when they moved to Flagstaff pre covid. I don't think they've discussed what they do in terms of church in years.

• Upvote 11
  • I Agree 3
  • Thank You 1

I watched this crazy episode.  Is Kody loosing it?  His logic followed by nonsensical conclusions are bizarre.  Kody being a control freak is scary. 

I realize their religion supports polygamy and it’s impact on what level of heaven they obtain but gees Louise is Kody abusive to Janelle.  I cannot imagine the hurt Janelle and her children must feel watching this episode live on TV. 

This episode is just sad.  The previews for next week….😢.

• Upvote 5
  • Sad 2
  • I Agree 1

32 minutes ago, Tatar-tot said:

I watched this crazy episode.  Is Kody loosing it?  His logic followed by nonsensical conclusions are bizarre.  Kody being a control freak is scary. 

I realize their religion supports polygamy and it’s impact on what level of heaven they obtain but gees Louise is Kody abusive to Janelle.  I cannot imagine the hurt Janelle and her children must feel watching this episode live on TV. 

This episode is just sad.  The previews for next week….😢.

If the original wives wanted to make some serious money, they should have agreed to allow TLC to film them watching this season's shows live and capture their real reactions.  It would be the realest reality TV there is.  If Janelle stays with Cody after seeing his comments about her in last night's show she is truly foolish.

And yes, Kody does seem to be losing it.  

And the googly-eyes look he and Robin gave each other when they were reunited after the funeral made my stomach turn.  It was very telling that he had spent months away from Janelle and her family because of Covid, was reunited because if the funeral, and yet instead of taking the opportunity to quarantine with her and her family as he demands everyone do in order to spend time with him, he rushes out to take a rapid test to get back to Robin ASAP.

• Upvote 12
  • I Agree 1

I think that Kody probably loved Meri in the beginning and took on Janelle and Christine because he wanted to live the poly lifestyle. However, I don't think he took a fourth wife because he was bored or they wanted to catch a show deal. I think he genuinely fell in love (maybe for the real first time in his life) with Robyn. They aren't living the poly lifestyle anyway at this point so they might as well give up the pretense. Meri hasn't been happy for years, Janelle deserves far better, and Christine has already booked it. Just give up the idea and focus on Robyn since that's clearly what he wants to do. 

• Upvote 15
  • I Agree 3

Kody is so oblivious: bullying, cliches, and meanness. Uh, the number one perpetrator of that behavior is Kody. Gabriel impresses me so much. I can't believe he is only 19.  I want to see Janelle and Christine reacting to this. I want to see their reactions to Ysebel and Gabriel crying. Someone on Reddit said it best: Kody has finally become the angry, controlling fundie patriarch he tried so hard to convince us he wasn't. 

• Upvote 17
  • I Agree 2

23 minutes ago, viii said:

I think that Kody probably loved Meri in the beginning and took on Janelle and Christine because he wanted to live the poly lifestyle. However, I don't think he took a fourth wife because he was bored or they wanted to catch a show deal. I think he genuinely fell in love (maybe for the real first time in his life) with Robyn.

I agree Kody probably loved Meri in the beginning. Janelle probably seemed low maintenance (compared to Meri) and because she was easy going Kody thought she would do well as a second wife. Janelle and Kody seemed to have a solid friendship early on and enjoyed the limited time they spent together. Kody married Christine because she was polygamy royalty (his words). 

I think you make an interesting point he genuinely fell in love with Robyn. Robyn has said life after her divorce was difficult. She had three young children, no money, no child support, no alimony, no education or skill set to provide a comfortable life for her and the kids. Robyn said she had other romantic options but wanted plural marriage. Let's say because of her faith Robyn truly wanted plural marriage. Maybe Robyn fell in love with Kody right away or has come to love him. I wouldn't be surprised if Kody checked enough boxes of what Robyn wanted in a future partner that she thought it would work. I'm assuming she would have wanted the man to be a good father to her children (and Kody did well with younger children), treat her well (she had Meri, Janelle and Christine to verify he wasn't violent/abusive), and put her in a better financial position. 

• Upvote 6

26 minutes ago, ifosterkittens said:

She had three young children, no money, no child support, no alimony, no education or skill set to provide a comfortable life for her and the kids

This is my biggest issue against the fundies. How they handicap the women. Only a few seem to be able to break away from the barefoot, ignorant and pregnant mindset.  It is heartbreaking - especially when you think of all those Duggar granddaughters born right in a row, the lost girls, and the Rod girls who have no chance.  Spread your legs for Jeusus!  All will be right with your world!   

However - did her ex not pay child support?   I don't think I ever knew that. 

Edited by SweetLaurel
clarifying
  • Upvote 8

My take on the marriages:  Meri - high school love who was not reproducing to give him a large family.  Janelle - brood mare to provide children.  A strong friendship developed along the way.  Christine - polygamous royalty - damm straight.  Kody puts great value on appearances.   Look at his high maintenance hair colored, permed & arranged just so.
I completely agree with the Robyn true love bit.  Kody divorced Meri because he did not want to be married to her. Plain & Simple.  The termination of the Robyn’s ex’s rights so Kody could adopt them was  was BS.  

💔 

• Upvote 8

24 minutes ago, SweetLaurel said:

However - did her ex not pay child support?   I don't think I ever knew that. 

That may be a case of so she says or so the show says. We know Robyn's attachment to factual truth isn't strong.  She was living in a nice enough place when we first saw her and no one was going hungry or without clothes.  

• Upvote 9

I’m watching Sunday nights episode. I’m totally here for the boys realizing their dad is the problem.

• Upvote 5
  • I Agree 6

Wow.  Watching the preview of the next episode, it seems like Kody thought since he got away with divorcing but not divorcing Meri he could do it to Christine.  How on earth did he think he wouldn't have his stuff in the garage after saying that to her??  That he seemed surprise is so weird.  I've often said I thought Kody was trying to force Meri to be the one to say she wants to leave, but after seeing a glimpse of this, I wonder if he is so deluded that he really does think they would all stay with him and he gets to dictate the entire relationship on the whim of his feelings.

• Upvote 12

That episode was bloody sad. How could Kody not give Gabe a hug or say I love you during those scenes?? 

Then my blood started boiling when he started on about Janelle… 

2 words you should never use to describe your wife, obedient and compliant… What an insult. 

anyways, now I am thirsty for next weeks episode.. 

Kody is seriously unravelling this season, there is no joy anywhere for him. 

• Upvote 14

9 hours ago, viii said:

I think that Kody probably loved Meri in the beginning and took on Janelle and Christine because he wanted to live the poly lifestyle. However, I don't think he took a fourth wife because he was bored or they wanted to catch a show deal. I think he genuinely fell in love (maybe for the real first time in his life) with Robyn. They aren't living the poly lifestyle anyway at this point so they might as well give up the pretense. Meri hasn't been happy for years, Janelle deserves far better, and Christine has already booked it. Just give up the idea and focus on Robyn since that's clearly what he wants to do. 

Except for the part he has 13 other children he doesn't care about. Narcissists like people based on how they make the narcissist feel. He has no appreciation for Christine's invaluable contribution to the family raising 12 kids because he doesn't care about her or the kids. This should be a big red flag for Robyn because if he gets sick of her, he won't care about their kids, either.

• Upvote 13

I had another thought during the day about what might be going on.  We've talked about how Robyn has been told to always make life easy for Kody when he's there (don't argue, don't complain, etc.) and I think this worked ok (and great for her) before the pandemic and especially before he spent all his time with Robyn mostly because the other 2 (Meri and Janelle) and sometimes 3 (Christine) would push back for him so Robyn didn't have to do that.  

Well fast forward into the pandemic and the only relationship he is really in is with Robyn, who is still submissive so now he feels like he should expect this type of relationship with everyone.  Robyn isn't getting others to do the bad cop role and so she's also exhausted and the other wives are like wtf why does he want to completely change the dynamics of our relationship.

I was also thinking about Kody saying he couldn't go over to the houses because of social distancing and that's such bullshit.  Even if he didn't want to break social distancing, he could have still gone over every night it was that wife's night and had dinner distanced outside.  He could have still played games with Truely, just have her move the pieces or bring he's own dice.  And he could have talked to the kids about the rules and what they were.  There was absolutely no reason for him not to be around.  I also think it's crap that he's not spending time with Meri, even if he doesn't want an 'initimate' relationship.  He says they have a friendship, so why doesn't he spend his night with Meri in the rotation.  They can have separate bedrooms (her place is big enough) and they can spend time chatting or playing games or something.  If he doesn't like that then he needs to officially have a divorce.  It's not fair to say she can still be kind of a wife but have no actual role or ability to have his time like any other wife.

• Upvote 16
  • I Agree 3

16 minutes ago, Natalie22 said:

then he needs to officially have a divorce. 

They have an official divorce.  He's tried to run Meri off.  It's up to him to either live with the situation where he's semi-tried to run Meri off and accept she's staying and treat her really as the friend he says they are or explain to her nothing is going to change and go her own way.

Edited by Coconut Flan
  • Upvote 7

How much of Kody is just editing by TLC? Christine experienced him during a health crisis, rough patch in the marriage and a global pandemic and was utterly let down by him especially in regards to her daughter. The other wives aren’t running away screaming, so is his behaviour really that much out of the ordinary? I assume we have all given loved ones leeway for covid related stressors, but a complete, horrible change in behaviour? I wonder how much of the arsehole was just getting edited out and now is being left in/played up? 

• Upvote 10

• Coconut Flan locked this topic