IGNORED

Sister Wives 7: One Down and Three to Go

Coconut Flan

The sun is probably rolling off assumptions made from Gwen’s TikTok live with her friend.

• Upvote 4

On 11/8/2022 at 6:42 PM, Cults-r-us said:

Dr. david C. of Pop Psych says he interviewed a woman in Utah who lives in polygamy in Utah with 12 children and 22 grands. She told him husbands are not to have "unrighteous dominion" over wives, meaning they are to treat their wives fairly. So yes, polygamy is a situation with opportunity for constant conflict, but apparently different polygamist sects have varying standards and expectations. So in this sect, Kody Brown's behavior of unrighteous dominion over his wives would not be tolerated.

On 11/13/2022 at 6:44 PM, apandaaries said:

Serious question: Does Robyn have a Single redeemable quality? 
The past few episodes, her script is reminiscent of her (stupid) Sister Wives’ Closet fantasies: “This is what I wanted. This is my dream. We’ll all work together to achieve MY dream! Oh no! Everything is failing because my sister wives aren’t supporting my vision! I’m doing this all alone and they aren’t helping in the right way! Woe is me!”

Then we have the disclosure that half of Janelle’s profit from Vegas went to Robyn’s (and Kody’s) house, along with a significant portion of the pooled family funds (which are unavailable for Janelle to attain better housing). 
Robyn also joined the family with considerable debt; I believe in the 5 figures. That’s a significant amount of money! Who paid off her debt? The closest she ever came to a job seems to be the money-suck of My Sister Wives’ Closet (known best for poor designs and high prices!). Not to mention that she preferred to bring in nannies rather than allow her sister wives to help share in the care of the kids. That’s not cheap, and that’s not what someone does when they really want to integrate themselves into the family’s culture.

Now I haven’t watched every episode, but I can’t think of a single occurrence of Robyn apologizing. Everyone else does (except Kody). Wives are often apologizing to Robyn, but we never see that reciprocated. It reminds me of the therapy session with Kody and Christine where he tells the therapist that he is to blame for NOTHING in the relationship; all his actions are just great and understandable. Robyn seems to be the same. No honest self-reflection occurs with either of these bad-haired villains.

I do try to recall that actual human beings are in this show. Apparently Robyn was a child to a less-preferred wife and must have internalized a lot. She must have a scarcity mentality that leads her to selfishly prioritize herself and her own offspring. 

BUT — she’s won. She has Kody, his attention, and any funds to which he has access. She’s the golden wife, at the expense of other potentially fulfilling relationships. And still she punches down! She remains cruel and needling. Why ask Christine if she wanted space or to work on relationship?

That ship sailed! She had years to prioritize that relationship, but asks at the most emotionally vulnerable time if Christine wants to spend time with her and her kids — the primary reason Christine is divorcing Kody. Kody can’t put Robyn in the typical wife lineup for *reasons*. He must be with her more often, sometimes due to the “tender aged” children. That negatively impacted the rest of the entire family. Surely Robyn can see this. There must be a reason she erupted in her weird speech last week about how Christine accused Kody and Robyn of having the only good relationship. Awkward Freudian slip caught on camera.

All I see from Robyn is selfishness, occasionally disguised as concern for her children. Perhaps she puts on an act of worry about the resources she’s taking, but she never refuses the sacrifices of others. She doesn’t work, but also needs a nanny, even though 2/3s of her brood is old enough to be quite independent. That option would have been impossible to contemplate within the boundaries of acceptable behavior for the OG wives and their Utah budget.

I really empathize with Janelle’s desire to work. Getting out of the house, having adult responsibilities and conversations, AND then a paycheck? Heck yes! This is also why I can appreciate Christine’s contributions: staying home is HARD. And she used to also homeschool ALL those kids — kids who’ve grown into curious, intelligent adults who pursue higher education. She’s also every kid’s favorite cook.
 ETA: and made every holiday a true celebration! Through her own hard work and efforts, and never from anything “extra” Kody provided. Janelle and Christine worked so hard to give their kids the best in their peculiar circumstances. 

[ETA part 1 million: Kody shitting on all her contributions. Fuck him forever for saying she ruined things. She was the heart and soul of the family. She got “the family” out of a tough situation with Meri and Janelle? Oh, Kody. You giant douche. You utter asshole. You piece of shit. Kody, you contribute nothing but bullshit, you stupid ass (was going to type “donkey,” but they’re cool — Kody, however, is an ass).]

Then we have Robyn: too cute to have to cook, as declared by Kody. Stays at home yet neither works nor rears children. Not that she doesn’t help raise other mother’s kids, as Christine did — she doesn’t even raise her own kids independently. It’s not just, “what does the nanny do?” It’s also, “wtf is Robyn doing with her time?”

Robyn clearly believes herself victimized on all sides. Kody oddly also buys into this. Robyn approached “cap in hand” asking “will you accept me and my children?” 
Simultaneously, Christine was pregnant with Truely as Kody courted Robyn (in his stupid small convertible with her far-Ish way locale, taking more time from the established family), gave birth, then watched Kody abscond with Robyn for a honeymoon. Oh! AFTER he was sooo busy kissing Robyn while Christine was in labor. 
Basically, I’m just wondering how Kody and Robyn can perceive her as a victim of meanie sister wives. What has occurred in their brains to allow them to draw those conclusions? What on earth do they see? Honestly, I’m deeply confused. Is this what happens with two narcissists — they create their own reality and then judge others according to this artificial bias? Seriously, I’m struggling trying to comprehend their “truths,” and welcome assistance.

ETA: how can people submit this much footage and watch this much bullshit and still perceive themselves as victims? Can they honestly believe that it’s the editors? What is happening in Kody and Robyn’s brains? I truly don’t know, but really crave insight. 

Side note: hoping very strongly that Christine got the value of CP in exchange for the deed. Fuck Kody and Robyn and their selfishness. Christine deserves her funds. He is so selfish. 

He wasn’t only kissing Robyn he was f***ing her.  They are both pigs.

• Upvote 4

3 hours ago, Tatar-tot said:

He wasn’t only kissing Robyn he was f***ing her.  They are both pigs.

I’d be inclined to think the same, but I know there’s quite a high value on sex placed in the Mormon church and also in their subset; I don’t person care one way or the other, but I suspect their church and  elders did have opinions. 
Ultimately it doesn’t matter. Robyn and Kody appear to be fundamentally monogamists and  are acting as such, at the expense of several other women and their children. 
This is a good time to restate that I really and truly do not know what Kody and Robyn are hoping to accomplish. I cannot comprehend how they sign up for this, knowing how awful for they are and that it’s all caught on camera. I don’t get their end game, but I do see how poorly they treat surrounding women. I’m got lost as to what they’re hoping to achieve.

Edited by apandaaries
Really major typos.
  • Upvote 5
  • Love 1

On 11/13/2022 at 4:44 PM, apandaaries said:

Side note: hoping very strongly that Christine got the value of CP in exchange for the deed. Fuck Kody and Robyn and their selfishness. Christine deserves her funds. He is so selfish

Unfortunately, records show that Christine sold her parcel to Kody and Robyn for only $10. It was worth $300,000.

• Upvote 1
  • WTF 4

34 minutes ago, indianabones said:

Unfortunately, records show that Christine sold her parcel to Kody and Robyn for only $10. It was worth $300,000.

Reddit realtors are all over there. Possibly she sold one piece of paper for pennies on the dollar, but possibly she held out for more on another paper transaction. Unfortunately, I could absolutely see her giving up her share to be equal. I’m really hoping she didn’t do so, but am quite aware of the surroundings.
She has so much power! Just a bit of piss in his vinegar solution! Christine doesn’t appear to be interested in inflicting pain as she departs. It’s admirable, but... the viewer always wants to see that knife to the kidney, right?  Yet Christine won’t, and Kody is left baiting the viewers.

Edited by apandaaries
  • Upvote 6

In many states the value listed like $10 is not what is actually paid.  In Arkansas I sold my mothers house for "$1 and other valuable consideration."  The other valuable consideration was in six figures.  You can only tell the value by the tax stamps on the documents and one piece of paper buried in amongst the rest that lists the actual sale price and was not attached to the deed.

• Upvote 9

In the show they made it seem like Christine was just giving up her share of coyote pass in exchange for her getting all the proceeds of her house since it was bought with "family money."

• Upvote 5

On 11/13/2022 at 8:12 AM, Bastet said:

At this point I think Janelle and Meri are motivated primarily by the financial rewards of being on the show. I realize they may still harbor religious scruples, but do they really want an afterlife on Kody’s planet? How would that be different from hell?

Did you all see when Kody tried to bait Meri into trashing Christine, she melted into a puddle of flirty giggling and eyelash batting because Kody acknowledged her. Apparently 'Ol Mer is still carrying a torch. Even after he has been on national TV telling everybody how unfuckable she is. 

All the wives agree there is a wonderful side to Kody, or that there used to be. I think Christine noted, "he's not that person anymore".

Regarding Janell's unfortunate money predicament, the Brown family financial planning would have been a great thing from which to distance herself. Kody is impulsive, they don't plan, budget, save, have health insurance or retirement investment. It would probably be smart even at this late date for her to get a job with benefits and pension.

• Upvote 6

10 hours ago, Cults-r-us said:

for her to get a job with benefits and pension.

Didn’t she have a job with benefits back in the early days?  Even if she cased out her pension,  she seemed to know how to manage money.

• Upvote 6

I think Janelle on her own might not be a terrible money manager.  In that family I can see her caving to family (Kody and Robyn) pressure.

• Upvote 10

I can easily imagine the old Kody. The one who had three young wives, a bunch of young blonde kids running around, all living under one roof. I bet Kody barely even had to try to be adored. All the kids probably followed him around wanting his attention. All three wives probably loved and sought his attention. The wives only fought with each other. But not with Kody. He was practically perfect in their eyes. They likely didn’t see his bad side much because why would they? He had it made. But now things are very different and Kody isn’t happy and worshipped by all his kids and wives anymore. So his true colors come out. Yet Meri won’t let go of the old Kody. Sorry that guy is never coming back. This is Kody now. 

Edited by JermajestyDuggar
  • Upvote 9
  • Sad 1
  • I Agree 4
  • Thank You 2

6 hours ago, Coconut Flan said:

I think Janelle on her own might not be a terrible money manager.  In that family I can see her caving to family (Kody and Robyn) pressure.

I think Janelle must be pretty good with money. She had to feed and clothe her six kids on the same amount of money that Meri received with having only one child. Christine also received the same amount. Janelle and Christine should know how to stretch a buck! Janelle also took her kids and moved out for a couple years after she and Meri had what must have been a particularly bad fight. Kody has mentioned more than once that he enjoys discussing business type issues with Janelle. She enjoyed working and didn’t want to stay home with her kids. I think Janelle and Christine appreciate each other for the contributions both made to the family when the kids were growing up. Janelle will be fine if she really has left Kody. I wonder what impact the implosion of polygamy will have on the show. There is really only Robyn left and that’s monogamy!

• Upvote 9

1 hour ago, Letgo said:

I wonder what impact the implosion of polygamy will have on the show. There is really only Robyn left and that’s monogamy!

And while I could see merit in an "after polygamy" type show which shows how a copy transitions to monogamy (especially showing complicated relationships with the mothers of their other children, etc.), no one likes Robyn and Kody is only entertaining in the sense it is fun to see him crash and burn, so such a show starring these two would be a flop.

• Upvote 4

5 hours ago, Queen Of Hearts said:

And while I could see merit in an "after polygamy" type show which shows how a copy transitions to monogamy (especially showing complicated relationships with the mothers of their other children, etc.), no one likes Robyn and Kody is only entertaining in the sense it is fun to see him crash and burn, so such a show starring these two would be a flop.

I would watch a show for a season or two of Janelle and Christine navigating those issues. Who are they now to each other's kids? Who are their kids to Meri or Robyn ( I think we see a little of the Robyn/Mykelti dynamic this week) 

Hell what is the dynamic with Robyn's oldest kids and the other moms? 

• Upvote 6
  • I Agree 1

I knew a fellow who was charismatic and fun, the life of a party. While people liked him, soon everyone noticed conflict in everybody around him. That, my friends, is like Kody. He was able to manipulate, triangulate and keep the wives in constant conflict with each other, all the while seeming to be just the greatest guy. The wives still talk about how they enjoyed his personality.

Nowadays, Kody is no longer the great guy everybody wants to be around (at least as far as inside the family). He is brooding and angry and blaming. The wives recognize his manipulative habits and he is not as successful at getting what he wants in the family.

In next week's trailer, he has taken his revenge tour on the road to Mykelti's, Robyn, his fellow manipulateur, in tow. Kody is promoting a narrative blaming Christine for "shit-talking" Kody to his non-favorite kids, harming his relationships with them. His ambition is to  manipulate his kids into admitting as much. Mykelti and Tony look uncomfortable as Kody and Robyn tag-team asking leading questions about Christine.

Christine is gone. She and Kody are divorced. Kody cannot believe Christine rejected him. He is frustrated at his lack of control. What does he hope to accomplish by hounding the kids to criticize their mother? Creating conflict over irrelevant issues is a way to hang onto the relationship and make it (in his mind) not be over. It is reminiscent if Trump losing the 2020 election.

• Upvote 16

Since they were never legally married, and because she refuses to approach her former church for a spiritual divorce, we need language for the situation.  Conscious uncoupling?  Certainly on Christine’s side.  Unconscious uncoupling on Kadouche’s side.  Maybe just “uncoupling”?   

• Upvote 7

6 hours ago, gustava said:

Since they were never legally married, and because she refuses to approach her former church for a spiritual divorce, we need language for the situation.  Conscious uncoupling?  Certainly on Christine’s side.  Unconscious uncoupling on Kadouche’s side.  Maybe just “uncoupling”?   

Decoupling? Di-coupling? De-dyading? Shitcanning?

ETA episode should be titled: Kody Beats a Dead Horse.

• Upvote 4
  • Love 2

29 minutes ago, gustava said:

Where is Janelle living?

Flagstaff.

When last we saw the Browns, they were in Christine's backyard where Robyn called Christine a liar, Meri and Robyn played mean girl pile-on and Kody spoke to her abusively and wailed like a banshee. TLC is bereft (apparently) of storyline because here they all are again one week later, on Christine's deck having another miserable get-together.

• Upvote 6

This family seems to be firmly implanted in my brain. The idea of voluntary polygamy for women fascinates me, I guess. I’ve been wondering what would have happened if the Browns had never gone public and had the TV show. Or what if Kody hadn’t added a 4th wife. Or both. Where would Robyn have lived since their house just had spaces for 3 wives? Would Kody still like Meri and Christine and would their relationships be intact? Would any of the kids chosen polygamy if they’d stayed in Utah and been raised there, immersed in that church/belief system? I think the moves, the fame, the money, and that 4th marriage all impacted what has happened, but to what degree?

• Upvote 9

38 minutes ago, saywhat7 said:

New to this topic and I am an occasional watcher. Why is Robyn acting so upset about Christine leaving?  

By being continually upset and crying, she gets sympathy from the 'Doosh, she keeps him stirred up, feeling like he needs to rescue/ stand up for her tiresome, whiney ass, which puts him in a hostile stance with the rest of the family, so he stays isolated with and only influenced by controlling Robyn. So, in summary, being upset is Robyn's control vehicle. 

• Upvote 10
  • I Agree 1

Plus Robyn gets to act all righteous and preach qbout how she wept and prayed and implored Christine to keep a righteous testimony or something. Robyn is all about appearances. 

• Upvote 14
  • I Agree 1

1 hour ago, Pecansforeveryone said:

Plus Robyn gets to act all righteous and preach qbout how she wept and prayed and implored Christine to keep a righteous testimony or something. Robyn is all about appearances. 

And money. And control, mostly control.

• Upvote 9

• Coconut Flan locked this topic