IGNORED

Sister Wives 7: One Down and Three to Go

Coconut Flan

7 hours ago, St.Clara said:

As a non-native speaker in English (and accordingly having somewhat of an outsider „don´t know but I assume“ perspective) I have always thought this „fixed this for you“-phrase to be a consent-dependent thing. Meaning: you wouldn´t use it if you thought that the original poster would find it offensive or annoying but only if you thought they would find it funny, too. It seems to me that I have often seen it work that way, in this forum and elsewhere. And while there are certainly situations where you absolutely should explicitly confirm that there is consent before you do or say something, in everyday life we usually assume consent in all sorts of things and sometimes learn only afterwards that we were wrong. In my view, this is inevitable to happen now and then and isn´t necessarily a big deal. But when it does happen the right thing to do is to apologize, Besides, it can be uncomfortable to express non-consent in a situation where consent is assumed and not everybody will be willing or able to do that. So I would feel grateful for being made aware of the dissent because it gives me a chance to learn and widen my perspective.

All this, as I said, from a non-native speaker perspective of „I don´t know for sure but that is my impression.“

We consent for penguins.

• Upvote 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, noseybutt said:

We consent for penguins.

Unfortunately, I don´t get the joke. (I suppose it is because I don´t follow the Arndt threads.) Is there a short-hand way of explaining it? (If not, please disregard.)

2 hours ago, St.Clara said:

Unfortunately, I don´t get the joke. (I suppose it is because I don´t follow the Arndt threads.) Is there a short-hand way of explaining it? (If not, please disregard.)

One of the posters likes to substitute the word penguins on that thread because the family functions a lot like penguins. They’re like a flock of birds.

Thank you for your previous post. Always interesting and helpful to know how people interpret across languages and cultures.

• Haha 1
  • Thank You 1

Currently, I’m too outraged for a full, cohesive post, but... I can’t believe Kody forgot Gabe’s birthday. He called his son on his birthday to inquire about Covid (Kody knew nothing about Janelle and her kids’ experience with the disease, apparently — quite the doting dad and devoted husband!), but did not say “happy birthday.” Because he forgot. Because he’s a POS. 
Gabe breaks down over this; Kody doesn’t even mention it.

Then our preview: “I think Janelle has set her boys against me.” Really, Kody? This is Janelle’s fault? 
It’s amazing he can function at all, given how he keeps his head up his ass.

Edited by apandaaries
  • Upvote 20
  • Sad 1
  • I Agree 2
  • Love 3

5 hours ago, St.Clara said:

You see a lot of penguin references in the Arndt threads because those "boys" have a weird obsession with penguins.  Especially of the stuffed animal variety.  I remember once some brothers flew a penguin with a drone over their house to surprise some other brothers.  Another time some played a cruel prank where they pretended to destroy a much-loved penguin toy, leaving the victim-brother distraught until they finally came clean.  Penguins made lots of appearances in their videos over the years.  

• Upvote 4
  • WTF 1
  • Thank You 1

Does anyone here know where Cody stands on Covid vaccination (and by extension, Robyn as well)? I'm just curious, given how long he was clinging to 'rules' that were known pretty quickly to be unnecessary, such as wiping down mail and groceries. You'd think someone who supposedly took Covid that seriously - to the point of altering his family's relationships over low-yield precautions - would be vaccinated, but Cody and logic are words that generally don't go together.   

• Upvote 5

I have heard reports on Reditt that Kody is not vaccinated. Given that he was going to gun shows which tends to be an anti-mask, anti-vax crowd and spewing crap qbout the patriarchy, I find this very plausible. Infuriating that he rubs his hypocrisy in his family qnd viewer's faces but plausible. 

• Upvote 10
  • WTF 1
  • I Agree 1

1 hour ago, Pecansforeveryone said:

I have heard reports on Reditt that Kody is not vaccinated. Given that he was going to gun shows which tends to be an anti-mask, anti-vax crowd and spewing crap qbout the patriarchy, I find this very plausible. Infuriating that he rubs his hypocrisy in his family qnd viewer's faces but plausible. 

Same - I think one of his kids who is active on social media (probably Paedon but maybe Gwen) said that he wasn't.  IIRC he didn't confirm that Robyn and kids also were not vaxxed so it's possible Kody isn't but the rest are, although I think most likely guess is that none of them are.

• Upvote 6

I’m stuck in him saying “I didn’t want a divorce on my record here.”  My assumption is he’s worried about not getting into special heaven if one walks.  

• Upvote 7
  • Eyeroll 1

1 hour ago, clueliss said:

I’m stuck in him saying “I didn’t want a divorce on my record here.”  My assumption is he’s worried about not getting into special heaven if one walks.  

Isn’t three the magic number wives required in order to achieve the highest level of heaven? If so, Kody is okay unless Janelle or Meri decides enough is enough. He might want to keep that in mind in dealing with his “extra” wives. Kody already has a divorce on his record-Meri. They were legally divorced so he could marry Robyn but he probably doesn’t count that. He’s still “spiritually married” to Meri, even though he wishes she’d find someone else. You know, on the show Kody has been nicer about what happened with Meri than he’s been with Christine. I wonder why? Editing? He cared less about Meri? Covering for what she did? He’s more vocal now about Meri than at the time. 

• Upvote 6

26 minutes ago, Letgo said:

Isn’t three the magic number wives required in order to achieve the highest level of heaven? If so, Kody is okay unless Janelle or Meri decides enough is enough. He might want to keep that in mind in dealing with his “extra” wives. Kody already has a divorce on his record-Meri. They were legally divorced so he could marry Robyn but he probably doesn’t count that. He’s still “spiritually married” to Meri, even though he wishes she’d find someone else. You know, on the show Kody has been nicer about what happened with Meri than he’s been with Christine. I wonder why? Editing? He cared less about Meri? Covering for what she did? He’s more vocal now about Meri than at the time. 

He DID legally marry Robin.  That legal divorce was allegedly to allow Kody and Robin to Mary so that Kody could adopt robins kids.

Also, Cody’s ramblings and rants this season is basically indicated that he doesn’t necessarily consider himself married to Meri any longer.

• Upvote 6

4 hours ago, Letgo said:

You know, on the show Kody has been nicer about what happened with Meri than he’s been with Christine. I wonder why? Editing? He cared less about Meri? Covering for what she did? He’s more vocal now about Meri than at the time. 

I think part of it is he know a lot more of the family is going to choose Christine over him. 

On 12/4/2022 at 3:25 PM, apandaaries said:

Because he forgot. Because he’s a POS. 
Gabe breaks down over this; Kody doesn’t even mention it.

Then our preview: “I think Janelle has set her boys against me.” Really, Kody? This is Janelle’s fault? 
It’s amazing he can function at all, given how he keeps his head up his ass.

That was so hard to watch. Poor Gabe, he just wants his dad to love him. And Kody has the audacity to say the boys need to reach out to him to mend the relationship. You're supposed to put in the effort with your kids Kody, not the other way around.

• Upvote 15
  • I Agree 2

7 hours ago, TuringMachine said:

I think part of it is he know a lot more of the family is going to choose Christine over him. 

That was so hard to watch. Poor Gabe, he just wants his dad to love him. And Kody has the audacity to say the boys need to reach out to him to mend the relationship. You're supposed to put in the effort with your kids Kody, not the other way around.

I am sure I am not alone when I share Kody elicits a visceral response in me. It would be hard to keep from shaking him by his muppet mop. 

Janell always says that Kody was such a great dad. I suspect he was nicer to her kids than those of basement wife's Christine. I think it is why Gab has been so traumatized to discover Kody has no attachment to him.

Dr. David C. on Pop Psych said he interviewed a lady happily living in polygamy. She said in their sect men are less involved in day to day care of little children, and more involved in their sons' lives as they age, mentoring and assisting them in starting businesses, getting training, etc. So the opposite of Kody, who only likes them (non-Robyn) offspring when they're little and is absent from their lives as teenagers and young adults.

As a humorous aside, Dr. David said he sees a tick-tocker who puts two bags of raw ramen noodles and a headband on to post as Kody.

• Upvote 9
  • Haha 3

15 hours ago, Letgo said:

1 minute ago, Cults-r-us said:

Kody has been "nicer" about saying he doesn't consider himself married to Meri because it was his own idea, as opposed to him being shit-canned by Christine.

• Upvote 5

I just had a revelation (to myself, this might have been obvious to everyone else) while watching a YouTube video about this latest episode.  I've been watching the Pop Psych channel which does weekly commentary on Sister Wives and he was talking about the part this week where Truely visits Robyn's house and he mentioned something about the contrast to her stay with Janelle last week and suddenly I realized that I had just been assuming that Truely's visits with Kody would of course be at Robyn's place because that's where her dad lives and Robyn is basically the step mom here if you treat it like a monogamous (or serial monogamy) situation.  But Truely has 3 extra moms, not just one, who are supposedly at this point in the show still married to her father, so aside from space issues there should be no reason that the visits would automatically be at Robyn's rather than Janelle's or Meri's.  During last week's episode with the visit to Janelle, all the time I was thinking that 'isn't it nice that Janelle is still making an effort to stay connected to Christine's kids' and not 'Truely could actually do all of her visits with her dad without having to stay at Robyn's.'  

(That said, I think Meri is rarely in Flagstaff and that Janelle has actually left by now but this comment/ thought had to do with what was going on a year ago). 

• Upvote 14

10 minutes ago, Cheetah said:

I just had a revelation (to myself, this might have been obvious to everyone else) while watching a YouTube video about this latest episode.  I've been watching the Pop Psych channel which does weekly commentary on Sister Wives and he was talking about the part this week where Truely visits Robyn's house and he mentioned something about the contrast to her stay with Janelle last week and suddenly I realized that I had just been assuming that Truely's visits with Kody would of course be at Robyn's place because that's where her dad lives and Robyn is basically the step mom here if you treat it like a monogamous (or serial monogamy) situation.  But Truely has 3 extra moms, not just one, who are supposedly at this point in the show still married to her father, so aside from space issues there should be no reason that the visits would automatically be at Robyn's rather than Janelle's or Meri's.  During last week's episode with the visit to Janelle, all the time I was thinking that 'isn't it nice that Janelle is still making an effort to stay connected to Christine's kids' and not 'Truely could actually do all of her visits with her dad without having to stay at Robyn's.'  

(That said, I think Meri is rarely in Flagstaff and that Janelle has actually left by now but this comment/ thought had to do with what was going on a year ago). 

Yep. This is exactly why I say Kody lives like a man with 3 ex wives and is married to his current wife Robyn. 

• Upvote 8
  • I Agree 6

Personal tangent here. My dad has had kids with multiple women. My mother is his favourite baby mama (his first love, the one that got away, blah blah blah) and now that he is married to a woman who is kids free, he demonises the other women he had kids with to make his new marriage look more special (arsehole Kody move right there) The thing is he LOVES us kids all equally, including his former step kids, no matter which mother we have. I was “the favourite” for a little while when I had kids first but we all knew it wasn’t about me but about grand babies. 

Kody is such a fucking arsehole for treating his kids according to how much he currently likes their mother. Monster 🤬

• Upvote 11

I wonder how much Kody & Robyn & all believe anymore in their brand of FLDS doctrine. I remember from reading all sorts of book on fundamentalist mormons that their marriages can be "for time and eternity" of just "for time". So if Kody was sealed to Christine for time and eternity and they don't get unsealed does that mean that (according to their beliefs) poor Christine would still turn up in the afterlife on Kody's planet? Does Kody still believe that? 

I think Christine no longer believes anymore, not sure what the deal is with the rest regarding that.

Also, I hope Janelle leaves or has left, it's beyond me how you can stay with someone that treats your children like crap. Kody threatened to kick out Janelle's boys if they bring COVID to the family, but now when Aurora/Breanna (?) got them all sick it doesn't seem like the same applies to her (not that he should kick her out, it just shows the double standard). 

• Upvote 4

So I have started watching all of this season so far and wow. This guy has some serious trouble and Robyn is too much. How he can't see there are no equal wives is beyond me. 

• Upvote 7

11 hours ago, Cora Persephona said:

I wonder how much Kody & Robyn & all believe anymore in their brand of FLDS doctrine. I remember from reading all sorts of book on fundamentalist mormons that their marriages can be "for time and eternity" of just "for time". So if Kody was sealed to Christine for time and eternity and they don't get unsealed does that mean that (according to their beliefs) poor Christine would still turn up in the afterlife on Kody's planet? Does Kody still believe that? 

I think Christine no longer believes anymore, not sure what the deal is with the rest regarding that.

Also, I hope Janelle leaves or has left, it's beyond me how you can stay with someone that treats your children like crap. Kody threatened to kick out Janelle's boys if they bring COVID to the family, but now when Aurora/Breanna (?) got them all sick it doesn't seem like the same applies to her (not that he should kick her out, it just shows the double standard). 

Lord. The cruelty.

This family has never struck me as all that devout but that could be because of how the show is edited? IDK. I watched several of the early episodes and found it confusing because of that.

• Upvote 3

3 hours ago, noseybutt said:

Lord. The cruelty.

This family has never struck me as all that devout but that could be because of how the show is edited? IDK. I watched several of the early episodes and found it confusing because of that.

In the first season, I think they were quite devout and believed in all the AUB stuff. Even after they were in Vegas for a bit, they were still doing home church because there was no community there for them. But definitely they don't seem to have been very devout in many years l. 

• Upvote 8

10 minutes ago, Baxter said:

In the first season, I think they were quite devout and believed in all the AUB stuff. Even after they were in Vegas for a bit, they were still doing home church because there was no community there for them. But definitely they don't seem to have been very devout in many years l. 

Makes sense. I am not super familiar with AUB and likely missed some of their religious practice.

• Upvote 2

I think part of it is their oldest children becoming adults and making their own choices in faith. The adult children don’t seem to believe in polygamy. They had a huge family that would all do church together at one point. But one by one, the kids grew up and left the Faith. I can imagine that would help to make the parents less devout in general.

• Upvote 8

3 hours ago, JermajestyDuggar said:

I think part of it is their oldest children becoming adults and making their own choices in faith. The adult children don’t seem to believe in polygamy. They had a huge family that would all do church together at one point. But one by one, the kids grew up and left the Faith. I can imagine that would help to make the parents less devout in general.

Plus little by little lost their religion after being disinvited by the AUB and having no accountability to or influence by a faith community anymore.

• Upvote 11

20 hours ago, saywhat7 said:

So I have started watching all of this season so far and wow. This guy has some serious trouble and Robyn is too much. How he can't see there are no equal wives is beyond me. 

I think Kody only sees life from HIS OWN perspective. The viewpoints of others don’t seem to register, or at least he doesn’t recognize them as valid. He appears to be all in with Robyn but the way other family members see that situation is just wrong. He, and especially Robyn, are the victims. Kody sees himself as a devoted husband and father. He’s done nothing wrong but his wives have treated him badly, been disloyal, been mean to Robyn, etc. Kody *had* to live only with Robyn because she was the wife who followed his rules. HE treated his wives well but THEY didn’t reciprocate; he needs to be first in their lives and “respected.” When Christine and Janelle didn’t follow his rules to the letter, following only the CDC guidelines, continued seeing their adult children, even traveling to do so, they were being disloyal in his eyes. Whatever has happened isn’t his fault, it was theirs. He wasn’t playing favorites with Robyn, he was simply living with the wife who was respectful, obedient, and put him first. I’m not sure if Kody is capable at this point of recognizing that his own behavior has been the catalyst in the choices his wives are making.

• Upvote 12

• Coconut Flan locked this topic