IGNORED

Sister Wives 7: One Down and Three to Go

Coconut Flan

On 1/1/2022 at 8:15 PM, Pecansforeveryone said:

I went back to watch some of the earlier episodes. Kody has always been self-centered and impulsive. If I hear one more time, " when have I been honored as the head of the household" one more time I would scream. The Browns have had financial issues for a while now.  Kody doesn't seem to have any business sense or career drive, only a desire to control. 

Isn't that typical of dysfunction? Where Kody's control is disinfecting the mail while his financial situation is nutsville. Christine was smart to take per piece of the pie (while there is still a pie from which to get a piece) and invest in a duplex that will generate income.

• Upvote 7
  • I Agree 1

19 minutes ago, Cults-r-us said:

Christine was smart to take per piece of the pie (while there is still a pie from which to get a piece) and invest in a duplex that will generate income.

Kody is probably taking credit for the idea seeing how he has claimed to want to invest in rentals ever since he moved to Flagstaff. I agree it was a great idea to get out while there is still some money and invest in a property that can help pay her mortgage. 

• Upvote 3

SW S16 E5 Sad Sorry Lonely Little People

STH- solo talking head

Christine, Ysabel, Truely, and Gwen are staying with Christine’s sister Wendy. Wendy and Christine have the same mom, and Wendy is in a monogamous marriage. Christine said Wendy is accepting of Christine living plural marriage. Christine in a STH said she and Kody are in a difficult place, and a little break is nice. Kody in a STH said there is a rift with Christine. Grandpa Rex and Grandma (not sure who they are) sent Ysabel flowers at Wendy’s house the day before surgery. Ysabel’s cousin Avery made a beautiful drawing of flowers. Robyn in a STH said covid has made many families lonely and isolated from family.

Ysabel and Christine arrive at the hospital at 4 am. Ysabel is wearing her dad’s hoodie because he isn’t there, and she brought the flowers from the grandparents. Christine in a STH said Kody gave Ysabel the hoodie, said it was similar to a hug, and said he’s been to all the scoliosis appointments over the years. Christine in a STH said logically Ysabel gets why Kody isn’t there, but emotionally it’s difficult. Christine said the nurses joked with Ysabel before surgery and said she’s too tall for the bed. Christine expresses her trust and belief in the staff, but the difficulty of saying goodbye as they wheeled Ysabel to surgery. Flashbacks to 2017 when Ysabel talks about the emotional toll of wearing the brace, and the bruises it leaves behind. Christine said when Ysabel said she was in daily pain nine months before she applied for insurance, and Covid delayed the process.

Kody in a STH said Gabe and Garrison have social lives so he’s staying away from Janelle’s house. Janelle tells Kody Maddie, Caleb and kids won’t be coming to visit in October (2020). Janelle in a STH said Hunter is getting his master’s in nursing from Johns Hopkins and gets to see Maddie often (five-hour drive). Kody tells Janelle he’s jealous of those who aren’t social distancing. Kody in a STH said the family is divided into thirds, and he isn’t seeing two-thirds of the family. He said Christine and Janelle travel frequently. Janelle tells Kody Garrison was pre-approved for a mortgage, and has saved enough for closing cost, not enough for down payment. Janelle in a STH said six weeks before Kody realized Garrison had a more active social life then he realized and wanted Garrison to move out. Janelle is not having him move out and wants to let him save as much as possible so he can buy a home. Kody feels it is Garrison’s problem, and Janelle is trying to fix it. Janelle tells Kody they’ve helped their kids in different ways.

Janelle said they got Garrison a car, and now he’s living with her to save for his own house. Kody in a STH said Janelle is picking Garrison and Gabe who are having social lives over him. Janelle tells Kody yes, my kids are the center of my world; I’m picking them, and said it is part of plural marriage. Janelle in a STH said early in her marriage she learned to not center her world around Kody, so it became the kids. Robyn in a STH said she feels children and husband are equal, not one before the other. Meri in a STH said they are equally important, and you shouldn’t have to choose. Christine in a STH said she’d pick the kids, and said they are her companions. Kody in a STH said there is no effort made to have him around. Janelle and Kody both feel the past 6-8 weeks (since Kody realized Garrison is having a social life and has stayed away since) is personal. Kody tells Janelle he feels he doesn’t matter based on Christine’s actions, and their crappy relationship. Kody tells Janelle they don’t have a crummy relationship, and yet he is being marginalized (his word). Kody in a STH said Janelle is taking risks with their relationship, and not willing to protect it. He said as a polygamist he’s done crazy stuff to get into heaven and will do crazy stuff to prevent someone from going there (heaven) early. Janelle tells Kody she can’t be away from Kody much longer, is heartbroken with the boys, and doesn’t know what to do. Kody in a STH said he’s not the head of the household/family with Janelle and Christine. He said that’s not the deal they made when they got married.

Christine said surgery took two hours longer than expected, and it went well, but was rougher than intended. Now 15-degree curve, previously 55. You can feel Christine’s relief the surgery is complete. Ysabel is asking is the surgery done, and does she have a killer scar? She wants a big scar. Ysabel asks to call her dad and tell him she misses him. The day after surgery Christine said the night was brutal, and the pain in terrible. Ysabel repeated asked for her dad, and the doctor said anesthesia messes with retention, so it is common to ask the same question over and over. Ysabel said she doesn’t feel well. To leave the hospital Ysabel has to do several things, sit up, put her legs on the ground, walk to a chair, and walk to a map (the ultimate goal), and hope to complete this in five days (not counting surgery day I gather). Flight is in ten days.

Meri is on a hiking trail and enjoying nature. She said she’s running two businesses. The family isn’t getting together, and it is lonely. Christine in a STH said without her girls during covid she’d go insane. Robyn in a STH said she feels lonely and isolated from everyone. Janelle in a STH said she’ll text or call Meri (not every week), and she communicates with Christine more often, and they’ve met up in person. Kody in a STH said he doesn’t communicate with Meri daily, and he doubts her sister wives do. Meri is glad she and Kody are friends and has hope for more. She won’t walk away. Meri said she thinks her sister wives wonder if she will leave, and she said she’s considered every option including leaving. She has 100% unconditional love from Solomon and Ariella and desperately misses them. Meri has three types of relationships in the family, solid, rocky, and nonexistent. Kody in a STH said the wives have chosen not to interact during covid, and don’t make the effort to communicate.

Day 6 at the hospital, Ysabel completes the long walk necessary to be released from the hospital. She puts a sticker on the map, only patient in Flagstaff, AZ. Christine said Ysabel is still in a lot of pain, and have a pain management plan. Christine in a STH said the drive home was difficult. Mitch, Aspyn and Hunter came to visit at Wendy’s. Christine said no it wasn’t the smartest thing on paper, but she told the kids ahead of time they had to quarantine to keep Ysabel safe, and felt it was the right move. Ysabel shows the crowd her scar. Christine is clearly touched they came, and said Ysabel was thrilled. Ysabel is happy with the scar.

Christine and girls are home. The adults come over to hear an update. Christine said Ysabel is taking meds every two hours. Janelle offers to come help, and sleep in a tent, and give night meds. Christine in a STH said Ysabel would feel guilty if she knew how exhausted she was. Christine said it is her most important job, and stupid to complain. Robyn in a STH said they are socially distanced because the family has decided not to unite on the covid restrictions. Ysabel comes out to see the adults, and said she only gained one inch after the surgery. She’s officially 5’11’’ now, but thought she was 5’11’’ before the surgery. Kody said no she wasn’t taller than him before surgery. Robyn in a STH said lots of the kids and moms are competitive and height is part of that. Robyn said she isn’t competitive. Janelle in a STH said Ysabel always has a smile on her face, but you can tell she’s in pain. Ysabel shows them her scar.

Janelle said Christine told her after surgery Ysabel kept asking for her dad and Gwen. Ysabel said she doesn’t remember. Kody said you don’t remember? Ysabel said she doesn’t remember the first day. Kody in a STH said he would have preferred they wait so he could have gone to support Ysabel. Kody said they agreed, well actually they decided, and he agreed it was time. Christine said one doctor was surprised Kody wasn’t there. Ysabel goes inside, seems a little unstable on her feet. Kody in a STH said when caring for someone recovering from surgery that person needs breaks too, but Christine hasn’t had that because he isn’t there to help her. Christine said Ysabel puts on a brave face, but she’s miserable. Christine in a STH said the pain right now is worse than before the surgery, and eventually she’ll be happy she did the surgery, but today is not that day. Kody in a STH said he’s saying we but means Christine. He means we as the family supporting Ysabel, but Christine did all the work. Christine in a STH said it can only get better.

• Upvote 2
  • Thank You 7

Watching tonight’s episode I actually got emotional for a minute or two. Normally I roll my eyes the whole time, but seeing Meri reunite with Robyn’s kids I felt genuinely happy for them. They obviously missed each other and after Meri spent so much time alone I’m sure it felt good to connect with other people and get hugs from the kids she seems to care about a great deal. 

Edited by Alice in Fundieland
redundant
  • Upvote 3
  • I Agree 4

1 hour ago, Alice in Fundieland said:

Watching tonight’s episode I actually got emotional for a minute or two. Normally I roll my eyes the whole time, but seeing Meri reunite with Robyn’s kids I felt genuinely happy for them. They obviously missed each other and after Meri spent so much time alone I’m sure it felt good to connect with other people and get hugs from the kids she seems to care about a great deal. 

Agreed. That was genuine emotion.  There was nothing faked about Meri and the kids' happiness at being reunited.  Shame on Kody and Robyn for keeping them apart for so long.  

Everything else about that episode just made me hate Robyn more than before.  

• Upvote 9
  • I Agree 2

Let me echo the same thoughts. Why did it take so long for Meri to be allowed to visit Robyn's kids? If it was important to Robyn, she could have had Kody get the list of rules (probably the same ones they came up with presumably months ago for the nanny), and have Kody share the rules (so it was clear it was his rules not Robyn's) with all the wives. Robyn could then reach out and say hey for everyone following the rules to the letter let's pick a day and get together at my house. Meri wanted it, and asked for it, but she doesn't have the sway with Kody to make it happen, Robyn does. Kody and Robyn both made a choice to not see Meri for months. 

Dayton was born January 16, 2000 so he was 20 in fall 2020, Aurora Alice was born on June 4, 2002 so she's 18 fall 2020 and Breanna Rose was born on October 7, 2005 so she's 15 in fall 2020. Are we expected to believe Dayton, Aurora and Breanna did not work, did not see any friends, had no socialization outside of their immediate family March-November 2020? Are they all doing virtual school, and no one is leaving the house for anything? It seems unlikely they would all comply with such strict rules. 

Aspyn said she couldn't comply with the rules and wouldn't be able to attend the Browns, and asked Christine to come for Thanksgiving--I get why Christine went. Christine got to have all six kids together for Thanksgiving and spend Christmas with the Browns in Flagstaff. Aspyn and Mykelti are married and may split the holidays with in-laws (not sure how they would handle it during covid- we cancelled our big family holidays in 2020, and Easter 2021). Janelle went to her sister's in Utah. I wonder if Logan attended but just declined to be on screen. 

Maybe I'm being cynical, but I think it was a calculated move for Meri to go to Robyn's for Thanksgiving. Meri is showing she is making the effort, following Kody's rules, being loyal and respectful of him (his words), and making him a priority. She can show she's trying. 

Robyn's kids are all home, so it is easier for her to attend Thanksgiving. In a few years when her kids have moved out, gotten married, have to share holidays with the in-laws she might not prioritize getting together with her sister wives every holiday. 

• Upvote 10

Arrrggghhh todays episode had me yelling at the TV. 
Robyn is a manipulator for telling her kids that Janelle and Christine weren’t going to be there. Why can’t they admit that when you have adult children your world changes a little bit. Those kids parroted what they have heard Kody and Robyn say the past 9 months. 

Kody is sounding like a dictator with all of his talk about respect and loyalty..  A dictator that it a going  to a military coup. He is seriously losing the plot 

Meri is almost confusing to me.. She is so confident on her social media doing her lives etc. then she is this desperate woman clutching to an occasional bone scrap given by Kody.. I think she is getting a bit jealous of Janelle and Christine as they growing talker with their independence every year. 

I love all of Janelles and Christine’s kids… god I hope they do a tell all about their father one day. 

• Upvote 11
  • I Agree 1

15 hours ago, ifosterkittens said:

Are we expected to believe Dayton, Aurora and Breanna did not work, did not see any friends, had no socialization outside of their immediate family March-November 2020? Are they all doing virtual school, and no one is leaving the house for anything? It seems unlikely they would all comply with such strict rules.

I genuinely think they might have, Robyn's kids seem a little less well adjusted than some of the other ones and maybe less likely to lead active lives outside of the home. 

Remember we've seen pieces of the other school aged kids having "things" the boys with wrestling and sports, Maddi out with friends in Vegas, Mariah at a job,  Gwendolyn or Ysabel being nominated as class historian. Plus we've seen the older kids take on more responsibility, helping with younger siblings etc. To an extent to I don't know how sheltered the kids have been from a lot of what's happened in the family (ie having to leave Utah)

Essentially for the most part the kids seem to be raised to be pretty independent, strong and free thinking. 

I don't think Robyn's kids were. They just seem so much more insular and insulated. Even in some of the THs and couch scenes her kids seem less well spoken than their same age siblings (mainly looking at Aurora and Briana) 

If I had to guess one of the wives as being a snow plow parent it would be Robyn 110% I think those 5 have been bubbled to a point that this transition might have been a bit easier.

ETA not trying to pick on her kids, I'm sure they are terrific kids! Just that staying home might have been less of a reach.

Edited by LacyMay
  • Upvote 7

SW S16 E6 No Head Wife

STH- solo talking head

All the wives in STH agree covid has been difficult for the family, and the family culture. Kody in a STH hopes covid will go away so he can have a normal relationship with Christine. Kody and Christine talk outside to discuss Ysabel’s surgery. Christine tells Kody it was hard for Ysabel that he wasn’t present for the surgery, and the doctor was surprised Kody wasn’t there. Kody in a STH said it is a regret he wasn’t there. He said if Ysabel would hurry her recovery, he would feel better. Christine in a STH said the recovery is painful, and not linear. Kody tells Christine he doesn’t want Ysabel to resent him for not being at the surgery. Christine hopes the same thing. Kody in a STH hopes there is forgiveness, and said he should have been at the surgery, worries about the long-term repercussions. Christine asks Kody would he have come if it wasn’t for covid, and he said absolutely. Kody tells Christine she and the girls need to go back to social distancing so he can see them. Christine said when they visit Aspyn and Mykelti they hang with them the whole time and are happy to see them. Christine and Kody disagree over the time they saw each other Christine said twice a week, he said three or four days.

Kody in a STH said precovid he spent 2 nights at Janelle, Christine and Robyn; Meri wasn’t in the rotation. Janelle in a STH said precovid it would be one or two days and then he would move on and with covid he’ll stay longer and be gone longer. Robyn in a STH said precovid it was fairly equally split. Christine in a STH said she and Kody fundamentally disagree on his time with her. She said he’d come over at five, have dinner as a family, be on his phone, watch a movie, go to bed, and he was gone before the girls woke up. Kody tells Christine she was basically on a vacation in NJ for Ysabel’s surgery. Kody in a STH said Christine isn’t factoring in Truely had kidney failure at age 3, and covid attacks lungs and kidneys. He feels Truely is at a higher risk. Kody tells Christine they need to change their behavior, and in a STH Christine said he means her misbehavior. Kody tells Christine he feels slighted, and Christine tells him his covid restrictions are his decision. Christine said they agreed to it six months ago, and thinks it is ridiculous they are socially distanced. Robyn in a STH said they don’t have visitors, and don’t visit others. Kody in a STH said he and Christine have different values with covid, and Robyn is willing to adhere to his restrictions. Kody feels Christine is fighting the big picture of the family, and Robyn supports it.

Kody in a STH said Robyn has a nanny that helps school and watch the kids. Christine said if the nanny can come to Robyn’s why can’t Ysabel. Kody in a STH said Christine is not following the same rules as the nanny. Christine wants a guarantee for Thanksgiving, or she is leaving for the holiday. Kody in a STH said they are at an impasse. Tomorrow the adults will gather to discuss Thanksgiving. Christine in a STH is worried Kody is fine with everyone being separate.

Mykelti and Tony are having a sex reveal party. They are wearing tie-dye pink and blue shirts. Mykelti is 16 weeks. She wants to do a homebirth with a midwife, Tony said Mykelti wants a homebirth, and she said he worries about complications. Kody in a STH said Tony is worried because he hasn’t had the experience or information. Janelle loves home births, had 3 home births, 3 in the hospital. Meri had a home birth with Mariah. Meri miscarried when Mariah was 12 and had planned for a hospital birth with that child. Robyn loves homebirths and feels like she won if she convinces someone to have a homebirth. Christine had one hospital birth- Truely. Mykelti and Tony are staying in a hotel, will hang with Christine and her kids, no one else. Kody in a STH said he’s wearing a mask outside as a reminder to the family to socially distance. The families all gather outside for the sex reveal. They made elephant toothpaste, which when combined will foam, pink foam- girl, blue foam-boy. Some as skeptical it will work. The foam overflows, but the color isn’t obvious. Christine is wearing a pink t-shirt with a “it’s a girl” taped to it. Note Kody is no longer wearing his mask. Christine smashed a cupcake with pink frosting in Tony’s face on Ysabel’s behalf. Christine in a STH is impressed with how well Mykelti and Tony communicate. She said they’ll make excellent parents, insane and fun.

The adults gather at Meri’s for Kody to share the covid restrictions. Robyn in a STH said they’ve needed to get it figured out for months. Kody hands out the rules. Meri jokes to Robyn those rules you made up, she says she’s teasing, and Robyn said she didn’t. Robyn tells the crowd not to be suspicious of her, they are Kody’s rules. Meri in a STH said she didn’t know it was a touchy subject, and she will defend Robyn to the ends of the earth. Kody tells Meri it isn’t about her, and not to make it about herself. Kody said there are kids who don’t like the rules and blame Robyn. Robyn in a STH said a kid called asking her to loosen the rules so they could get together, and she said I didn’t make the rules Kody did. Robyn said Kody is not a person who will be run be a wife. Robyn in the STH said she’s not trying to create disharmony in the family. Kody in a STH said his doctor created the list of rules. Janelle in a STH said she’s not opening this can of worms and said yes there is a lot of drama. Janelle in the STH wants to know where the rules have been, she’s been asking for months. Janelle questions clean mail with alcohol wipes. Janelle in the STH reads the rules aloud, sanitize purchased products with alcohol wipes before bringing in the home, remove shoes outside, change clothes after shopping, use curbside pickup, limit shopping, no movie theaters, bars, fitness centers or restaurants. Kids can see friends if they maintain ten feet distance, only for a limited time. Janelle tells the adults she has birthday presents; she’ll leave them on the porch. Kody tells Janelle she can mock it or find a way. Kody in a STH asks if she’s too lazy to do a few chores. Robyn in a STH doesn’t see the rules as hard to follow. Meri in a STH will follow a list of rules if it means Kody will come over. Christine looks at Robyn and asks if they follow the rules they’ll get together for Christmas, Robyn points to Kody, and he’s pissed they are looking to Robyn not him. Kody in a STH he doesn’t have a head wife in the family, he’s had wives try to be.

Kody in a STH feels betrayed, and thinks it is the biggest rift in the family. Janelle in a STH doubts even if they had the rules earlier, they would get together out of fear someone was lying. She’s at her wits end. Christine in a STH now that they have the rules, she feels she has to make a choice see Kody or do everything else. Janelle tells Kody she doesn’t think it will work for them to get together. Christine tells Kody most people who think it is insane to follow this list. Robyn said she’s been doing it for seven months (so she had the rules seven months ago??). Janelle said following the rules would have led to a mental health crisis for her. Christine in a STH said Robyn follows the rules because Kody is at her house daily, he isn’t at her (Christine’s) house, so she doesn’t need to follow them. Kody tells the wives complaints about the rules feels undermining. Christine said she’s not trying to undermine and thinks she should be able to question his decisions. Christine in a STH said if you can’t bring things up without being accused of undermining it sounds like a dictatorship not a marriage.

Janelle tells Kody she thinks the list is over the top but will do it for Christmas. Kody in a STH said maybe it is a mistake he and Janelle aren’t romantic enough, and that is why she’s choosing the boys (Garrison and Gabe) over him. Janelle in a STH said she gets more attached to Kody every year; they have a good relationship. She also said she’ll pick her kids over the rest of the family. Christine tells the adults Aspyn and Mitch invited her, and Tony and Mykelti so she’ll go there for Thanksgiving. Robyn asks Janelle, and Janelle said no, she won’t be there for Thanksgiving, and Christine said they’re going to Aspyn’s, and all six of her kids would be together at Aspyn’s including Paedon. Christine in a STH wonders how Meri stayed sane living alone and following all the rules. Janelle in a STH said it must be quiet and lonely. Meri in a STH wants to interact with Robyn, but they haven’t been able to interact. Kody said Meri it seems you are following the rules you can come over, and Meri said I’ve been telling you I’m following the rules, and both of you (Robyn and Kody) have said it’s not time yet. Robyn said no that’s not what I said. Robyn said the decision was up to Kody, and she didn’t know how the rest of the family would feel if Meri and Robyn were interacting. Kody said they can schedule a playdate now. Meri in a STH wonders why they didn’t have the conversation earlier. Meri said she knows Robyn has talked to Kody about it. Kody in a STH we aren’t having a family Thanksgiving, having a whoever is here Thanksgiving. Robyn in a STH said she feels the foundation of the family is crumbling. Kody in a STH said the lack of loyalty isn’t good for a marriage and could be a problem years from now. Christine in a STH said home is hard, it is easier to leave.

Only Meri and Robyn are left. Robyn said they can schedule a playdate, gives Meri a hug. Robyn in a STH said she forgot no contact, will put it in God’s hands, the relationship is more important. Meri through tears tells Robyn she doesn’t know why she waited so damn long. Robyn said she didn’t’ want everyone to get mad, and to stop acting like it was her choice. Meri said she’s not blaming Robyn. Robyn said it took her a minute to realize Meri was joking. Robyn said she’s sick of the rumors she is pulling the strings, and said Kody is his own man, it isn’t her. Robyn in a STH said Kody told her she and Meri were following the rules, they could get together. Robyn told Kody it is a change in protocol, and he needed to tell everyone first, and he said no he said it was fine, that was enough. Robyn felt it wasn’t fair. Robyn in a STH said if Kody has a problem with another wife it affects her, but she has to stay out of it, and have no say. She said it is making her relationship with Kody difficult.

• Upvote 1
  • Thank You 5

4 hours ago, ifosterkittens said:

Kody tells Christine she was basically on a vacation in NJ for Ysabel’s surgery.

🤨 WTF? As a mother . . . parent. . .  human being, I cannot imagine how difficult that trip was for Christine. Having to deal with medical staff, pre-surgical protocols, insurance, worrying about your child, the surgery, the outcome, trying not to let your child worry too much, all while away from home, all with Covid happening, all without your husband.  He is an absolute ass.

• Upvote 8
  • Angry 1
  • I Agree 16

50 minutes ago, Satan'sFortress said:

🤨 WTF? As a mother . . . parent. . .  human being, I cannot imagine how difficult that trip was for Christine. Having to deal with medical staff, pre-surgical protocols, insurance, worrying about your child, the surgery, the outcome, trying not to let your child worry too much, all while away from home, all with Covid happening, all without your husband.  He is an absolute ass.

My kid had a fairly minor surgery. I did the day in hospital, dad did the night (the other kids needed to get to and from school, etc) The 3 hours waiting to hear the surgery was over and then the next 60-90 minutes waiting for my child to wake up again were the worst and loneliest 4-5 hours of my life. The first 2 nights at home with a shitty pain-relief protocol were the second worst 16 hours. And this like I mentioned was a fairly minor surgery and my partner and I helped each other to help our kid through the recovery period.
This utterly self obsessed nonsense from Kody is almost making me cross eyed with rage! 

• Upvote 14
  • I Agree 3
  • Love 2

12 hours ago, Jrodseyeliner said:

I also wonder which kid has been ringing Robyn to ask for Kody to relax the rules. 

I seem to recall Kody complaining it is one of Janelle's older sons.

My take-away is being isolated together has made both Kody and Robin more toxic, irrationale, controlling and unappealing

Kody could have probably got more buy-in to the family adhering to covid precautions had they sat down as a family and hammered out their own flexible protocol (where they could have quit wiping off the mail, for example, when it was shown to be ineffective). Instead he had this secret set of rules not made available to the family for months, then made himself out to be personally violated when the rest of the family could not adhere.

I think it is interesting he internalizes things Robin tells him, such as "Solomon and Ariel need a father until they are 18" and he thinks it is his own idea.  Kody does not know how tone deaf he sounds because he us apparently amnesiac about having other under 18 year old kids.

Kody acts like Meri is a piece of dog excrement on the bottom of his shoe that gets to ride along until he scrapes it off. The joke is on him, because no matter how hard he tries or how bad he mistreats her, he can't get rid of her! She is there for the long haul.

Meri and Janelle are trying to repair their relationship because they both see themselves as growing older and want community.

Robin doesn't seem to have made a bond with Kody's other kids.

• Upvote 8

On 1/9/2022 at 8:16 AM, gustava said:

What a mess.

But my very favorite part is when Kody muses whether Janelle would have been willing to live in Kody Covid Protocol Jail as opposed to "choosing her kids over him" if only he had given her more (some) romance (e.g. pickle-tickle) in their relationship.

• Upvote 3
  • Disgust 1

With my renewed interest in this show due to the current drama, I've been watching/ rewatching some older episodes (I had never watched the first 3 or 4 seasons before and haven't seen every episode in the rest of the seasons either).  This morning I watched S15E1 where Janelle brings the wives and Kody together for dinner to discuss the state of the family... she wants everyone to be putting more effort in now that they are geographically split in Flagstaff and wants to know how everyone else is feeling.  Janelle and Robyn voice that they want to be more cohesive as a family.  Meri doesn't say much, and Christine is clear that she's happy with not seeing everyone else often... that she struggles with jealousy when they are all together.  Someone mentions that the family started breaking apart when they moved to Las Vegas and Robyn infers that they really mean it fell apart when Robyn joined the fam.   Of course she starts crying and Janelle has to reassure her.  Kody just looks annoyed.  With hindsight now (that things broke down even further with Christine) it's clear that C is saying that she can't stand being around Kody and Robyn acting the happy couple together while Robyn feels like none of it is her fault and she's the victim for not getting the happy big family experience she thought she was owed, and Kody refuses to take responsibility for his lack of effort with Christine.  

I also watched S3E5 the other day where the whole family goes to Kody's hometown (Lovell, WY) and he and the wives hang out with some of his high school friends.  A couple of the friends are not at all shy about saying that Kody has always been an attention hog and him having multiple wives surprised them a bit since he grew up LDS but it doesn't really surprise them as far as him wanting to always be the center of attention.  

• Upvote 9
  • I Agree 1

47 minutes ago, Cheetah said:

With hindsight now (that things broke down even further with Christine) it's clear that C is saying that she can't stand being around Kody and Robyn acting the happy couple together while Robyn feels like none of it is her fault and she's the victim for not getting the happy big family experience she thought she was owed, and Kody refuses to take responsibility for his lack of effort with Christine.  

Well of course Christine can't tolerate being treated like she isn't wanted and doesn't matter, and fortunately Christine can distance herself. But what did Robyn do to get the happy big family experience that she complains for years she didn't get? Was she too busy keeping her smelling salts and hankies near to wipe her voluminous tears and playing footsies with her Ko-doosh? Should the whole family have called Kody out about how he treated Christine if they were serious about staying connected and strengthening family ties?

• Upvote 5

7 hours ago, Cults-r-us said:

Kody could have probably got more buy-in to the family adhering to covid precautions had they sat down as a family

That’s what I don’t get. While I’m sure there are conversations we never see, and it’s possible they did have a group discussion at some point, what we’ve seen repeatedly this season is that Kody expects the wives to communicate and get their children to comply with his orders instead of Kody having to be the one to do the communicating and persuading to the kids. This way he winds up scapegoating the wife (Janelle) for failing to get their kids in line, and Kody is spared the ego blow of potentially trying and failing to convince a kid directly. 

• Upvote 14
  • Love 1

3 hours ago, Cheetah said:

With my renewed interest in this show due to the current drama, I've been watching/ rewatching some older episodes (I had never watched the first 3 or 4 seasons before and haven't seen every episode in the rest of the seasons either).  This morning I watched S15E1 where Janelle brings the wives and Kody together for dinner to discuss the state of the family... she wants everyone to be putting more effort in now that they are geographically split in Flagstaff and wants to know how everyone else is feeling.  Janelle and Robyn voice that they want to be more cohesive as a family.  Meri doesn't say much, and Christine is clear that she's happy with not seeing everyone else often... that she struggles with jealousy when they are all together.  Someone mentions that the family started breaking apart when they moved to Las Vegas and Robyn infers that they really mean it fell apart when Robyn joined the fam.   Of course she starts crying and Janelle has to reassure her.  Kody just looks annoyed.  With hindsight now (that things broke down even further with Christine) it's clear that C is saying that she can't stand being around Kody and Robyn acting the happy couple together while Robyn feels like none of it is her fault and she's the victim for not getting the happy big family experience she thought she was owed, and Kody refuses to take responsibility for his lack of effort with Christine.  

1. Watching the first season is sad now, because while she may or may not have thought of herself as the “favorite” wife, Christine definitely thought of herself as the “fun” wife back then and I think Kody did too. I think most of the family credited her with helping settle things down between Meri and Janelle and showing them all how to make it work as polygamists. Up until Robyn joined the family her relationship with Kody was the “easy” one.

2. In the first season it seemed like Meri was his true love, his ride-or-die, Janelle was his business partner/co-parent (they seemed like genial exes), and Christine was his best buddy (she referred to them as soulmates, but I’m not sure Kody saw it that way). The attraction of a new wife was obvious, but I honestly thought Kody would tire of Robyn long before now. I’m still not sure what he sees in the relationship other than someone who always agrees with him.

3. I think everyone in the family does themselves and each other a huge disservice by not acknowledging that things changed drastically when Robyn and her kids joined the family. By always jumping to “we went public, we got a tv show, etc.” and minimizing the drastic change an extra wife and three extra kids brought (who did not move into the established family home at the time) makes them unable to actually ever get to the root of their issues. By always acting like Robyn and her kids had nothing to do with it they miss the chance to talk through and resolve things like adults (if that’s possible).

• Upvote 23
  • I Agree 1

Absolutely! By never acknowledging Meri and Christine got SEVERE demotions and were expected to remain uncomplaining in the background while Kody and Robyn flaunt their romance nothing was resolved until the big resolution of Christine walking out (so Kody could act astonished and Robyn could cry some more).

• Upvote 19
  • I Agree 1

SW S16 E7 Choosing Kids Over Kody

STH- solo talking head

Janelle in a STH said her boys now view Kody as antagonistic over the covid rules, and thinks it’s hurt their relationship. She said Kody only comes over to do outside things (Gabe is raking leaves, Kody in cutting some tree branches). Janelle tells Gabe she needs to have a conversation with Kody, and Gabe said you’re kicking me out of outside. Janelle tells Kody she owes him an apology when he presented the rules last week. She said she’s doing most of the things, but the things she isn’t made her feel like she couldn’t breathe. Janelle in a STH felt like some of the rules made her feel like she was held prisoner. Kody asks is she willing to follow them now? Janelle said she struggled with some but will do it so they can get together at Christmas. Kody said he came up with the rules, and Robyn follows them because she values protecting the family. Janelle in a STH said Kody always throws the values statement at her. Janelle in the STH said that’s great, but all Robyn’s kids are home, it is easy to be compliant, and said her life is different. Janelle tells Kody she’s struggled with her mental health, and he wonders if it would improve if he was at her home more. Kody said Garrison and Gabe need to stop their social lives for him to come home. Janelle said Garrison is close to his goal of saving for a down payment, and she won’t kick him out so Kody can come home. Kody tells Janelle he is making all the sacrifices and is asking everyone else to make them too. Kody gives the grocery store rules, and Janelle said the level of paranoia is bizarre. Kody tells Janelle he has a four-year-old (Ari) that needs a dad until she’s 21, and she represents all the kids. Janelle tells Kody she’s surprised he’s getting so aggressive. Kody said he’s aggressive because she’s not hearing him. Janelle said she hears him. Janelle said she’s sorry she freaked out, and he said ok, it hurt my feelings but no big deal, he wonders why it isn’t worth it to be back together. Janelle asked are those the rules now, they weren’t this summer, she didn’t wipe down groceries. Kody said no those are the rules for getting the family together; for him to come back to her house (himself) Gabe and Garrison have to social distance from the house, or from their peers. Janelle said Gabe isn’t going to stop seeing his girlfriend and asks would he at age 20. He said he did because he went on a mission for two years, so no dating, and he essentially socially distanced from women. Janelle asks what if Gabe’s girlfriend moves in for a few weeks. Kody in a STH said he’s not answering the question. If he says no he limits their interaction, if he says yes he contradicts his religious views- which the family has already thrown out the window.

Kody asks will Garrison cut his social life, and Janelle said he doesn’t go out now (except work), his friends have moved away, and she’s starting to worry about him. Kody said that’s why Garrison wants me back now that he’s lonely, over the summer Garrison didn’t need him. Kody tells Janelle he doesn’t want to alienate his kids over what they view as dumb, and he’s tired of their criticism. Kody said to him it seems it doesn’t matter to the kids if he is home. Kody in a STH feels he’s answering to his kids (and wives?), but they aren’t answering to each other or to him, and he said it is a polygamy double standard. Kody in the STH said he sympathized with Janelle and tolerated it until he realized he was being lied to (about boys’ social lives), and then said the boys need to move out. He said the problem is Janelle’s name is on the lease so he can’t evict the boys. Janelle in a STH said Kody’s dad sent him out at 18 with a crummy car and $50, and she’s not that type of parent. Kody tells Janelle he feels he’s had higher standards his whole life that no one else can meet the expectation.

Janelle tells Gabe, Garrison and Savannah what’s required to get together for Christmas. Janelle in a STH  looks and sounds defeated and says it isn’t going to go well. Janelle gives the overview and Gabe said cool, see you in February. Janelle asks will he do it for Christmas? Gabe said not if he gets a job, Savannah said jobs are the exception, Janelle adds if you are careful at work. Gabe asks we’re making an exception for a job, but not the mail? Garrison says we’ll just tell dad we followed the rules. Janelle said no. Savannah said you would be lying to dad, and Janelle said she won’t lie. Janelle in a STH said Gabe was close with his dad and feels some rejection. Gabe said bring dad here and I’ll yell at him, and Janelle said she’s trying. Gabe said it’s been nine months; someone could have gotten pregnant and had a baby in the time since we’ve seen dad. Kody in a STH said the kids are saying he hasn’t been around, and it isn’t accurate, he’s been at these homes every month. Janelle in a STH said they didn’t raise sheeple, they raised children as opinionated and stubborn as the parents. Janelle asks them about Thanksgiving. Savannah said if she can survive without socializing, they can. Garrison tells Gabe just lie. Gabe said he won’t be away from his girlfriend that long and won’t lie. Savannah asks is she that important? Gabe said her birthday in Thanksgiving. Janelle said if infection rates don’t rise, they can spend Thanksgiving with her extended family in Utah. Garrison said Janelle can spend Thanksgiving with Kody, he and Gabe will get a hotel. Janelle in a STH said she’s not doing Thanksgiving without her kids that can be at Thanksgiving. Savannah tells her brothers their mom is in a tough spot. Garrison said he’s not mad at Janelle, he’s mad at Kody.

Christine in a STH said they’ve seen Kody a handful of times. Gabe said if Christine is cool let’s do Thanksgiving with her. Janelle in a STH said her kids are attached to Christine. Christine in a STH said she adores Janelle’s kids. Janelle in a STH said her boys and Kody are in opposite camps, and there’s no compromise, and she’s exhausted.

Janelle brings a birthday gift for Robyn, and they chat outside. Janelle got Robyn a towel warmer. Robyn in a STH said Janelle gives gifts that promote self-care. Janelle tells Robyn her current house is in the trees, and it’s a whole different world. Robyn said her current house will make a great rental when they move out to the property. Janelle said if it ever happens, and Robyn said it will happen. Robyn tells Janelle’s she’s stayed out of it, but she worried about Janelle and Kody and the distance. Robyn said she asked Kody how are you and Janelle ok with this? Robyn said Kody said he and Janelle have done time apart that wasn’t a separation. Janelle said yes it was eight months, she had a good job, Kody wanted to move. Janelle in a STH said they were living in WY, Kody decided to go to UT for better employment options, and Janelle said it was good for her to keep the steady income. Janelle in a STH said conversation is a big part of her relationship with Kody, but it isn’t the same over the phone. In the STH she said they have six kids, it’s not just conversation, and she addressed it because she said she gets accused of that (talking?). Janelle tells Robyn she loves polygamy so she could make the choice to stay with her steady employment, see if the move worked out, and if it does then follow. Janelle loves the freedom and having control over her life. Janelle tells Robyn when the rules were presented, she reacted strongly because it felt like her choices were being taken away.   

Robyn tells Janelle everyone gets to choose, and that’s what is beautiful about their life. Robyn asks Janelle if she could figure it out so they can be in a plural family again. Janelle chuckles. Robyn tells Janelle she never signed up for monogamy. Robyn in a STH said she didn’t sign up to be with Kody all the time, precovid it was once or twice a week. Robyn then says Kody’s been very unhappy, and it’s been difficult for their relationship. Janelle in a STH said before Hunter left Kody stayed for six days and it was a lot, and she missed her freedom. Christine in a STH said they tend to have more fun when Kody isn’t there. Meri in a STH said the other wives can send Kody in her direction if they need a break. Robyn tells Janelle she dated, a couple of guys wanted to get serious, talked marriage, and she said no she wanted to live plural marriage. Robyn in a STH said she’s been surprised and horrified she thought they were a cohesive unit, and they aren’t, and it’s disappointing.

The adults gather to discuss Thanksgiving. Janelle in a STH said the covid rules has been the biggest point of contention her marriage. Janelle tells the crowd she’s inclined to travel for Thanksgiving, and what Christine does Janelle’s family will do. Christine chuckles no pressure. Kody in a STH said Christine doesn’t make any rules, she’s fun. Christine said Aspyn, Mitch, Mykelti and Tony said they couldn’t follow the rules to attend Christmas. Christine’s kids have elected to go to Aspyn and Mitch’s for Thanksgiving but will be in Flagstaff for Christmas. Kody points to Janelle and Christine and asks them if they are going to Utah, and both say yes. Kody in a STH said Christine said she wants to get together, but instead is going to Utah for Thanksgiving rather than spend it with him, and Janelle is picking the boys over him. Robyn said it will be weird. Meri will attend Robyn’s for Thanksgiving. Kody tells them he appreciates what everyone is doing, Robyn asks appreciate it? Robyn said you mean respect it. Robyn said she doesn’t like the word appreciate. Kody said he respects their choices but needs to say they have an obligation to a large amount of people to keep working. Kody in a STH said it becomes an economic issue for his family, and those they do business with. Kody in the STH said Garrison works with people he could harm them; Christine has an employee she could take it home to her family and destroy their livelihood.

Kody said he’s struggled to communicate because the boys don’t understand (guessing he means Gabe and Garrison). Kody tells the wives he’s not a foot soldier, he’s a general whether he is good or not terrible. He said the struggles in the family are likely because he stinks at them. Janelle in a STH said she feels Kody pulled a bait and switch, saying he’ll respect it but employ a guilt trip to try to get them to change their minds. Kody asks them to see the bigger picture that he must see, not a guilt trip just a prick to the conscious. Christine in a STH said it was a guilt trip, and she will always pick her kids over Kody. Janelle tells Kody if she stayed home, she would be alone for Thanksgiving, and Kody said that’s a choice she’s making. Kody said he shoulders responsibility and wants the wives to shoulder theirs. Janelle in a STH said Kody acts like she’s not doing anything. Janelle said she’s leaving and stands up. Christine tells Kody she has a clear conscious on her choice for Thanksgiving. Kody said he shared his perspective so she can share it with her (Christine’s) kids instead of them calling him and complaining about the rules. Janelle said it sounds like a guilt trip. Kody tells Janelle she understands where he is, and asks she respect it. Janelle walks off and says F off.

Kody asks the remaining wives if he was a bully. Christine said Janelle’s hands are tied; she has adult kids at home, and they choose to have a social life on one end and Kody and his rules on the other end. Christine said Janelle’s getting pushback from both sides. Christine tells Kody the speech was forceful even though he likely tried to be polite. Christine in a STH said she feels it is irresponsible to ignore half of the family. Christine in the STH said everyone must make their own choices, and Kody does too. Kody said he feels like he is getting blamed for other people making choices. Kody in a STH said if someone in his family dies there will be a bunch of people he hates because of it. He thinks Christine hates him partly because Truely almost died, and she (Christine) thought he had been negligent and said it changes relationships. Flashback to 2014 when Truely had kidney failure. Kody in the STH said he doesn’t want to have a child of his die, and hate those that didn’t follow the rules, and end up divorced from the wife of the dead child because that’s a given in our culture. Robyn tells Christine she’s sad but understands. Christine said the kids can’t follow the rules, it’s been a while since they’ve seen them. Kody said to Christine she’s going to spend time with people breaking the rules, and it makes him jealous. Christine tells Kody she knows how he feels. Meri said every time she sees a fun post on social media it makes her want to see friends, get a hug. Meri in a STH wonders why it wasn’t resolved four or five months ago; she said she’s following the rules, but Kody doesn’t come to her house. Janelle in a STH said she’s frustrated, and between a rock and hard place.

• Upvote 5
  • Thank You 10

3 hours ago, gustava said:

Awesome recap!  

SW S16 E7 Should be entitled, "Beating a Dead Horse". How exhausting and miserable for everybody.

• Upvote 7
  • Haha 5
  • I Agree 4

I just HATE Robyn. She pushes literally EVERY button I have. The crying, the manipulation, the constant victimhood. Hate, hate, hate her. So much. Kody is an idiotic douche, but he is so clearly stupid and over-the-top bad, he is somehow less irritating than Robyn. Yuck. Hate.

And they let Meri come to Thanksgiving, Meri who has spent 99% of her time alone for nine months, (this is still 2020, right?) has always made the Turkey, so of course Robyn decides this is the year SHE wants to make the turkey. 

As someone who raised a blended family - I can not stand how they aren’t treating ALL their children like one family. Just horrifying. 

Edited by Mama Mia
  • Upvote 6
  • I Agree 1

On 1/12/2022 at 1:42 AM, ifosterkittens said:

Janelle said Gabe isn’t going to stop seeing his girlfriend and asks would he at age 20. He said he did because he went on a mission for two years, so no dating, and he essentially socially distanced from women. Janelle asks what if Gabe’s girlfriend moves in for a few weeks. Kody in a STH said he’s not answering the question. If he says no he limits their interaction, if he says yes he contradicts his religious views- which the family has already thrown out the window.

I wonder how much this really bothers Kody and how much of it is just a convenient excuse. Most of the Brown children seemed to move on from their parents’ beliefs pretty quickly as soon as they went to college, starting with Logan. And Janelle, at least, always mentioned that she would be fine with that.

• Upvote 6
  • I Agree 1

13 hours ago, Mama Mia said:

I just HATE Robyn. She pushes literally EVERY button I have. The crying, the manipulation, the constant victimhood. Hate, hate, hate her. So much. Kody is an idiotic douche, but he is so clearly stupid and over-the-top bad, he is somehow less irritating than Robyn. Yuck. Hate.

And they let Meri come to Thanksgiving, Meri who has spent 99% of her time alone for nine months, (this is still 2020, right?) has always made the Turkey, so of course Robyn decides this is the year SHE wants to make the turkey. 

As someone who raised a blended family - I can not stand how they aren’t treating ALL their children like one family. Just horrifying. 

Wtf is wrong with Meri? I hope she is lying about isolating for 9 months, pining for Kody and Robyn's little children. It is hard to determine which of the 3 in this goofy triangle is the most screwed up.

Kody's protocol changed at some point from trying to stay well to a loyalty test for his wayward wives. He sounded like Al Pacino! Lucky for Christine and Janelle, putting  horses' heads in their beds would break Robyn's covid protocol.

Kody is demanding no one go to work as part of "the rules" must mean he doesn't work.

• Upvote 9

• Coconut Flan locked this topic